Chapter Eleven

Star Witness

The library, with its faded orange-brown bricks, blended well into the fall foliage. It was a wide, two-story building with smoked glass doors and a front-porch decorated with pots of chrysanthemums and petunias. Donghae and Yoona hopped off their bicycles and placed them against the bike rack.

The Junior Agent took out a small piece of paper from the pockets of his blazer and read, “Suspect one is Park Minhee, twenty three years old, the younger sister of the victim. She is working here as the head librarian.”

Earlier that morning, the team came up with a list of Jeongsan citizens who knew the victim personally. There were friends, co-workers, lovers and the lot. 

“We started with the immediate environment,” Siwon had said in between coughs. “Then after exhausting all suspects in Jeongsan, we can radiate outwards.”

The leader of the team already handled the preliminary stage of suspect identification. He crossed off people who had alibis and had no way or motive of committing the crime. In the end, the list was narrowed down to the three most probably suspects.

“Let’s get going, then,” Yoona piped up excitedly as the two made their way inside. This police work appealed to her. The excitement, the adventure, the danger – this is what she was waiting for all her life!

A musty smell welcomed the investigators as they stepped into the building. Inside was a long countertop that ran along one side of the wall. A tall, lanky woman with wide shoulders shot a glance at them. Her eyes were as small as pins and her nose was rather large and curved. Her wide-necked shirt revealed prominent collarbones. 

“You are Ms. Minhee?” Donghae asked, a charming smile creeping upon his face. 

The librarian gave a stiff nod, oblivious to the youth’s charisma. She asked sternly, “What do you want?” 

“We’re here to ask about your sister, Park Chohee” Donghae continued as he flashed his Junior Agent Badge. “She was murdered last Thursday morning by the intersection of Oleander Street and Main Road - “

“Yeah, yeah, I know about that,” the librarian uneasily shifted her gaze away from them and busied herself rearranging a pile of books on the countertop. 

“Where were you at the time of the murder? Was anyone else with you?” the Junior Agent asked.

“I was here and no one was with me. Look here, pretty boy, I didn’t doit, okay?” Park Minhee spat out, her eyes narrowing into snake-like slits. “You can ask me all you want but it won’t get you anywhere.”

With that, the librarian turned around and proceeded to the opposite side of the counter to sort out some overdue books. 

A disappointed sigh escaped Donghae’s lips. As much as he didn’t want to believe it, he seemed to be failing his assignment already. His tactics at interviewing and interrogating were turning out to be ineffective. How can he get this lady to speak? How can he become successful in his missions? How can he redeem himself to his father – to the whole NPA? 

Suddenly, he heard the soft-spoken Yoona’s voice.

“Please Miss Minhee. If you didn’t commit the crime, you still have to tell us what you know so we can identify your sister’s murderer and so she could be laid to rest peacefully. Wouldn’t you want that for her?” Yoona was now leaning on the countertop, a slight tone of desperation evident in her voice. 

What seemed to be a sarcastic chuckle emerged from the librarian. “I could care less about Chohee. She was the favorite child. All my life, I have lived under her shadow. As she basked in her achievements, my futile attempts of pleasing our parents were instantly diminished. To top it all, she stole the only man I love.”

A sour smile appeared on Park Minhee’s face as she turned towards the investigators. “If you find the murderer, don’t forget to thank him for me.”

With that, the librarian refused to speak another word.

~~~

“Men! What a cruel woman,” Donghae breathed out once he and Yoona were outside the library. “I wouldn’t be surprised if she was the murderer. Did you see her build? She could easily be mistaken for a man.”

“We shouldn’t jump to conclusions,” Yoona stated, proud that she had a chance to quote her favorite detectives on TV. The pair walked towards their bicycles. The wind was still strong that day. It whipped the dried leaves off the ground, swirling them into wide, miniature gold and brown tornadoes in the air. All of a sudden, a pink flyer flew and landed right smack at the handlebars of Donghae’s bicycle. 

The agent picked it up and read, “Annual Moon Festival, Saturday, November 22, 7:00pm. Brought to you by Jeongsan Public Library in cooperation with Jeongsan High School and South Korean Culture and Arts Department. Hey, Yoona, what’s this all about?” 

“Oh!” Yoona read over his shoulder. “The Moon Festival’s next Saturday. It’s a yearly event that occurs in our town.”

“It says here that the library is sponsoring it. Since Ms. Park Minhee is head librarian, it’s very likely that she’ll be there,” Donghae mused, almost crumpling the paper in his hand. “So what exactly is this festival about?”

“Legend has it that the town of Jeongsan was founded on a night of a full moon, hence the name. The festival itself is a tourist attraction. It usually takes place in our high school. There are a lot of booths and games – people tell me it’s fun.”

“People tell you?” Donghae looked at Yoona. “You mean you haven’t been to the festival yourself?”

“I went when I was little,” Yoona began then let her sentence trail off. That was a long time ago. How old was she? Thirteen? Fourteen? That was when all the girls in Jeongsan High were friends and Jessica hasn’t moved in from America yet. 

“I’m going to take you there this year.” 

Upon hearing Donghae’s words, Yoona found herself blushing. Doesn’t he know what it means if a boy goes with a girl to the Moon Festival?

“Why do you look so dazed all of a sudden? Was it something you ate? Do you need to go to the bathroom? Oh no, don’t tell me, Yoona-shi, are you sick? Do you want to go home? I can investigate by myself if you’re not feeling well…” Donghae turned around and placed his hands on the girl’s shoulders.

“N-no, I’m not sick,” Yoona said, turning her face away so Donghae won’t be able to see her cheeks turn a soft pink. “Oppa, I’m fine. We should hurry to the next suspect’s house. It’s almost lunchtime and he –“

“Oh, right!” Donghae cut in. He walked his bike towards the road, hopped on it and took off. He threw one fist up in the air and shouted out loud, “Here we go!” 

He’s so naïve and childish. Yoona laughed to herself as she followed Donghae on her bike. She almost lost her balance twice, for her mind was filled with thoughts on the upcoming Moon Festival. 

~~~
Author's Note: Finally, an update! I'm so sorry if I kept you all waiting for such a long time. I don't know if this chapter is good enough to be worth the wait, but I hope you enjoyed it. More YoonHae moments coming soon! Don't forget to leave a comment. I still enjoy reading what you have to say.