Chapter Five

Star Witness

Why can’t you stand up for yourself? No wonder every other person steps on you. You have to stop being such a pushover.

Lee Donghae’s words echoed in her mind, getting louder and louder and more painful each time. Yoona quickened her pace and turned a corner, barely paying any attention to the world around her.

“Am I such a pushover?” she muttered to herself. She thought about it for a while. Yes, it’s true that she does Jessica’s homework because she was afraid to say no. Yes, it’s true that she doesn’t complain whenever others take advantage of her intelligence during group work.

She glanced up and saw a restaurant. A scene flashed in her mind. It was Uncle’s birthday then and they decided to eat outside. The waiter accidentally spilled iced tea on her lap. Yoona didn’t say a word. She simply went into the bathroom and tried to dab it off. Then there was that time at the hair salon when the stylist chopped her hair too short and she didn’t even bother to say anything.

It’s true, then. She is a pushover. Donghae was just stating the obvious. Why then was she so affected by it? Why did she feel like crying? She was never the type to be easily swayed by emotions, much more cry in public. Why then did his words hurt so much?

What’s happening to me?

Suddenly, as if on cue, tiny delicate petals began to softly float down in front of her. Looking incomparably beautiful and surreal under the vibrant afternoon sky, they seemed to be alive as they gracefully played and danced.

Yoona slowly reached out her hand towards the petal shower.

What’s happening -

Yoona looked up to see where the petals came from. But what she saw was a heavy clay pot falling from the edge of the roof of the adjacent building. She stood frozen in fear as she watched the flowerpot tumble down towards her.

“Watch out!” a voice exclaimed urgently. Someone grabbed her from behind and pulled her back.

Smash!

The flowerpot crashed on the ground.

Several people stopped to look.

Yoona found herself in Donghae’s arms.

“You okay?” Donghae slowly released her from his hold and paused to catch his breath. “Is Yoona-shi okay?”

Yoona simply nodded, agape. She turned to look at the broken flowerpot on the pavement. Dark brown soil spilled unto on the sidewalk, along with the bent stem of an orchid plant. If she hadn’t moved in time, the pot would’ve hit her head and who knows what could’ve happened. She turned around to face Donghae. He looked exhausted and worn out, his hair was disheveled and the hems of his trousers were lined with dirt. But still, at the sight of him, Yoona felt her pulse quicken and her cheeks burn.

Donghae suddenly looked towards the building. “Come on! He might still be in there!”

Before Yoona could say a word, Donghae had already grabbed her wrist. Beside the entrance of the building was a hallway leading to the emergency exit door. Donghae pushed it open and ran up the winding staircase. The building was three stories high and it took a moment for the two to reach the door leading to the rooftop.

“He has to be in here,” Donghae said once they stood at the platform, just before the rooftop door. The Junior Agent shoved his hand into his blazer and pulled out a revolver. He steadied it in his hands, preparing to fire. “The criminal has to be in here.”

He stepped back and kicked the door open.

The rooftop was beautiful. Bamboo plants were planted along the edges among flower pots bearing orchids, similar to the one that almost killed Yoona. There was a white café table with matching chairs. The view of the afternoon sky was unobstructed, blotches of pinks, oranges, yellows and purples stretching from front to back, left to right.

But no one was there.

Donghae ran to the other side of the rooftop. There was another door – another exit that led downstairs and out to the street. Donghae kicked at the ground and groaned in frustration. “He escaped!”

After searching the rooftop for clues, Donghae and Yoona decided to try the stairs. Donghae’s eyes quickly scanned each step, looking for anything the criminal might’ve left behind – a piece of fabric, a candy wrapper – anything. But the criminal was either clever or just plain lucky. They found nothing.

As soon as they reached the street, a police car with faded doors pulled up. It was followed by a black Toyota Land Cruiser.

Lee Myungdae got out from the driver’s seat silently. Chief Wu scrambled out the car and clumsily took his place behind the taller man.

Officer Lee swiped off his sunshades.

He did not look at all pleased.