Chapter Twenty

Star Witness

Sunlight filtered through the window that morning and fell upon the white bed sheets that were draped over Im Yoona. Her mind slowly freed itself from the enthralling hold of the subconscious and reluctantly stepped into reality. Finally, after sleeping for who knows how long, she was awake. She tried to sit up but her attempts were met with a radiating, yet more subdued pain. Groaning, she rubbed her temples. 


“Yoong!” Aunt Hana dashed into the room and tackled her with surprising strength. “You are finally awake! How are you feeling? Is your head still hurting? Dr. Kang said you suffered from both an emotional trauma and a small hematoma to the head. Thank goodness, though, your skull is intact. Are you feeling better?”

Yoona smiled as she hugged her aunt back. “Yes, the headache’s almost gone.”

“Listen dear,” Aunt Hana said, breaking free from the embrace. “As much as I want to stay with you, I have to get home real fast to cook lunch for your uncle. You know how he is. NPA assured me that they will bring you home this afternoon, so I’ll see you later, okay? I’m really sorry, dear.”
 
Yoona nodded. “It’s alright, Auntie. I’m really fine now, honest. Uncle needs you more than I do.”
 
Aunt Hana stood up and smiled at her niece, taking her in, making sure she is really feeling better. “Alright, Yoong. But if ever you need anything, call and let me know. I’ll be here in a jiffy.”
 
Laughing, Yoona bid her aunt goodbye as the latter jostled out. Aunt Hana was barely out the door when Amber walked in, with the gait of a street thug, her hands in her pockets.

“Yoong-sshi! You look much better now. You should’ve seen yourself last night. Even I would be ashamed to look like you did,” Amber said and stepped back when Yoona attempted to throw a pillow at her. She laughed as she raised an arm to defend herself. “Hey! I was just kidding. Anyway, you just missed Hae. He and his dad just left for the airport some ten minutes ago.”

“Oh, that’s nice,” Yoona said, lowering the pillow and fluffing it in her lap.

“You mean,” Amber bent down so that she and Yoona were eye to eye. “You’re not going after him?”
 
“No.”
 
“He saved your life, but you’re still disappointed with what he did. Am I right?” Amber assumed smugly, using the techniques she learned in interrogation. In situations like this, some people would usually regard her as nosy, but to her, it was just a matter of having remarkable skills in induction and deduction. She was a Junior Agent after all, specializing in crime and romance. “What is it that he did anyway? Spread nasty rumors about you? Said something unforgivable about a family member? Don’t tell me he became all erted?”
 
“Ew! No, Donghae would never be like that,” Yoona snapped back defensively.
 
The smug grin on Amber’s face widened. “Then what is it then? Did he play around with you? Went out with another girl and broke your heart?”
 
Yoona’s expression of pure shock told Amber that she just hit the jackpot.
 
~~~
 
Donghae struggled to lift his luggage off the conveyor belt. He then ran up to his father who was already a couple of yards away. He was excited about the trip to a foreign land. It would be his first time going to America and he was nervous about speaking in straight English. 
 
He was about to ask his dad how to say thank you in English when he heard someone say “Jeongsan.” Looking up, he realized that it came from a television at the top of the waiting area. He stopped walking and watched as the reporter on screen stepped aside to reveal the picturesque landscape of the town.

“Jeongsan holds the yearly Moon Festival. Tourists from all over the country often flock to the festival grounds to enjoy the celebration,” Here, the scene flashed to colorful booths, paper lanterns and banners. Then, the screen showed several couples who were slow dancing. “The Plum Blossom Dance is a vital element of the Moon Festival. After confessing to each other, a girl and a boy would take their first steps together as an official couple in this enchanting dance…”

Donghae didn’t let the reporter finish. He ran up to his father and called out. “Dad! I have to go back, I forgot something.”
 
“Your passport? What is it? Aissh, really!” Myungdae tried to prevent himself from cursing.
 
Leaving his luggage at his father’s side, Donghae didn’t make time to answer. He dashed down the hallway leading to the entrance. No. I think I forgot my heart.

~~~~
 
“That’s it? He just danced with another girl?” Amber couldn’t believe this. She frantically glanced at the clock. Donghae’s flight would be in thirty minutes. How could she convince Yoona to go after him?

“The point is I shouldn’t be interfering with him and Sica.” Yoona reasoned.

“Come on, Yoona,” Amber pleaded. “You know he likes you! He probably just wanted to show Sica that he can dance well, that jerk. He’s just a show-off. And besides, he probably doesn’t know what the Plum Blossom Dance means!”

“It’s none of my business,” Yoona put her pillow aside and prepared to leave her bed. “If there’s anyone who should go after him, it should be Sica-unnie. Not me.”

“I think Amber is right,” Eunhyuk suddenly spoke up. He had been leaning on the doorframe all the time. “Yoona, come with me. I need to show you something. It will change your mind about things.”

Yoona looked at Eunhyuk, puzzled. After turning it over in her mind for a minute or two, the girl finally decided to let her curiosity win her over. She slipped out of bed and stood up, ready to follow Eunhyuk. 

Amber was about to go along when Eunhyuk put his palm up. “I didn’t say you could come. This is private.”

“WHAT?” Amber was near hysterics. “What are you planning to do, Hyukjae! You know pretty well how much Hae likes that girl. Just because he’s not here doesn’t mean you could steal her away! Hey! Don’t touch her!”
 
But it was too late. Eunhyuk had already grabbed Yoona’s wrist and half-dragged her down the hallway.
 
~~~~

Pretty soon, Eunhyuk and Yoona found themselves surrounded by monitors of all shapes and sizes. One showed the hallway from which they entered. Others showed various doors, hallways, stairs and exits. There were also some who showed the whole extent of a room. They were in the security department.

 
Eunhyuk walked up to one screen and pressed a button. He beckoned Yoona to come closer.
 
“Every room in the NPA, except for the bathrooms, has a security camera. We prioritize security over privacy,” he explained, pointing to the screen. “Here’s the video replay of what had happened yesterday at the clinic.”
 
Yoona saw herself at the screen. She was sleeping well, and, contrary to what Amber had said, she didn’t look that messed up. Suddenly, someone strode into the room. From the gait, she could automatically tell that it was Hae. 

Eunhyuk paused the video here and handed Yoona a set of headphones. After putting it on, Yoona listened to Donghae’s farewell word for word. 

 
She almost broke into tears when she heard the following words. “But I want to let you know that that someone …That someone... no matter how much better they are at protecting you, at making you happy…They could never love you as much as I do.

~~~
 
Kyuhyun ran down the hall as fast as his long legs can carry him. He almost bumped into Amber who had also been running.

“Oh my goodness,” Amber was almost sobbing, her hands on . “Tell me it isn’t true….”
 
The other agent just looked at her sympathetically, afraid to answer. He wished it wasn’t true but things didn’t look that way. Kyuhyun gazed down and pocketed his walkie talkie. “Where’s Lee Hyukjae and Im Yoona-sshi?”

“We’re over here!” Eunhyuk said. He ran down the hall towards the other agents, with Yoona following behind. She still looked bewildered. “What happened? Why do you guys look like you both lost the races? Did you bet on the same horse?”

“It’s Donghae. His…” Amber started, but found herself unable to say the words.
 
Kyuhyun looked up. “Chief Lee Myungdae and Agent Lee Donghae’s plane crashed shortly after take-off.”
 
~~~
 
They could never love you as much as I do.
 
The words echoed louder and louder in her mind, but they were still unable to drown out her sobs. Yoona buried her head in her knees, allowing her tears to run continuously down her cheeks. But no matter how much she cried, the tears could never wash out the sadness, the longing, the anger and grief she was feeling inside. 

Yoona, Amber , Siwon and Kyuhyun were all at the Junior Agent Dormitory common room. They all sat on the black faux leather sofas, their eyes glued to the floor. As much as they wanted to deny it, to justrefuse to believe it, it was true. 

With eyes sore from crying, they all watched it on TV a while ago. They watched as the sleek plane burst into flames – a fiery spectacle in the calm, morning sky. They tried to contact Donghae’s phone, but no one was answering. They tried calling his father, but no one was answering as well. The silence, the continuous ringing of the phones, the operator’s voice telling them that the caller is unavailable – these all added to the immeasurable grief that overwhelmed each and every one of their hearts. 

Out of everyone, though, Yoona felt as though she was hit the most. Donghae left without hearing what she has to say. She didn’t even get to look at him one last time. The more she thought of it, the more the tears gushed out of her, like tiny cascading falls. Donghae, I’m so sorry.

“Where’s Eunhyuk?” Amber asked, finally breaking the silence. Her voice came off as blunt and had lost its liveliness. 

Kyuhyun shrugged. Yoona sniffed. Siwon gestured outside. 

“He said he’d try contacting the airport to see if Hae really got on that plane,” Siwon answered, almost whispering. 

“I know it’s very unlikely, but I hope he didn’t,” Kyuhyun said. 

“It’s a trip of a lifetime,” Siwon’s voice was rough. He was afraid of clinging on to a false hope. “What could keep Hae from boarding that plane?”

Suddenly, the door to the dormitory flew open and Eunhyuk came in. Without a word, he strode towards the entertainment system. He pulled out a CD, inserted it and pressed play. Soon, the melancholy yet sweet melody of a song about blossoms and love filled the whole room. The ballad was all too familiar to Yoona. It was the one they play at the Plum Blossom Dance. 

She glanced at Eunhyuk wondering why in the world would he play thatsong at a time like this

Suddenly, she felt a hand touch hers – with the gentleness of a petal grazing the water’s surface. She looked up and found herself staring into deep, dark eyes. 

Donghae oppa. She was unable to move her lips. 

“Yoona-sshi,” Donghae was kneeling on one knee. With his other hand, he whipped out a rose – a beautiful, red plastic rose.

Instantly, Yoona fell forward and embraced Donghae. They fell on the floor, with Donghae on the ground and Yoona on top of him, crying and laughing at the same time. Her hands formed into tiny fists that began hammering on the other agent’s chest. Her words were muffled, but Donghae could make out a few of them. “Thought…dead…you…jerk….!”

“H-hey!” Donghae struggled to push Yoona off him, but she was insistent on hammering him. It was quite uncomfortable to have another person fall on top of you. But to Donghae, it felt as if his world was a thousand times lighter. He felt like a bubble, rising up to the spring skies. Finally, Yoona realized what she was doing and quickly pulled herself up. Her whole face was as red as the plastic rose Hae was still holding.

“I guess that means you like me, too,” Donghae said, sitting up. He brushed dust off his shoulders and looked at Yoona, glaring at her with an unforgiving, fierce stare. “A lot.”

Yoona couldn’t help but laugh. Despite the mess she was in – her hair all disarrayed, her clothes wrinkled, her eyes red and sore from crying – she felt like the most beautiful girl in the world because Donghae’s stare told her that much.

Donghae stood up, held his hand out to Yoona and pulled her up. Soon, the two were swaying in time to the melody, their bodies pressed together – slow dancing to the Ballad of the Plum Blossoms. 

“You were sleeping yesterday so I don’t know if you’ve heard,” Donghae whispered as he buried his face into Yoona’s hair, his lips close to her ears. “But I want you to know one thing …”

“I know,” Yoona interrupted. She whispered, just low enough for Hae to hear. “I’m sorry for what I’d said. Hae-oppa, no one else can protect me and make me happy better than you can. And…no one else can love you back more than I can."

Donghae stopped. He gently pushed himself away from Yoona and, with one hand, lifted her chin up. A charming smile formed on his face. It was that all too familiar smile that had stolen Yoona’s heart the time she saw him holding that bouquet of roses at her front door. It was that smile he gave her after she chased him out in the rain. It was that smile she took in when she and Hae talked on the hill and raced with their bikes. It was that grateful smile she keeps seeing in her dreams. And it was that same smile that rescued her when she thought she was going to die in the killer’s hands in that forest. 
 
Donghae took a moment to gaze at the angelic face just inches away from his. It was that face that prevented him from getting on that plane. It was the face that changed him, that saved him…

Slowly, Donghae pulled his face closer to hers, his eyes gradually closing. Then, he felt the soft, supple touch of her lips on his.

Thank you, they both thought. For changing me and saving my life.

~~~~

And so that ends the story of Im Yoona and Lee Donghae. A tale that teaches us that despite the presence of dreadful occurrences in this world such as murder, violence and heartbreak, the beautiful essence of love could grow – like a petal on a rose and like a star in the velvet sky. 

THE END

~~~~
 
Author’s Note: Finally, I finished an entire fanfic! It feels really great! Thank you so much to everyone who took their time and read the story from chapter to chapter. Thank you for encouraging me and sticking with me even though sometimes I made you guys wait for a long time before updating. I really really appreciate your comments. Thank you for your kind words, your patience and your support.

Most of all, I’d like to thank the people who inspired this story: Lee Donghae and Im Yoona.

Thank you!