Chapter Fifteen

Star Witness

The killer held a pale, lifeless body in his arms. He bent forward, his curved pointed nose almost touching the corpse’s face. Blood trailed down the victim’s head and fell in tiny droplets to the ground, so much like a hellish rain. Up above, the full moon hid behind a thin layer of gray clouds, as if shielding its face from the merciless spectacle happening below.

Suddenly the killer turned his head and faced Yoona. She saw the yellowish tint of his skin, the piercing glare of his beady eyes and something else…. It was blurry….

The killer dropped the cold, limp body on the ground. His feet made a crunching sound as they tread on fallen leaves. The killer progressed towards Yoona, his ruthless eyes never leaving her. He was getting closer - so closer that she could practically hear him breathe. 


“AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!”

“Yoong!” Aunt Hana came rushing into her niece’s bedroom once she heard the bloodcurdling scream. Yoona was sitting up in her bed, her hands clutching her blanket tightly. The girl was sweating profusely and her breath came in small, rapid gasps. “Are you alright? What happened?”

“I-I’m fine, auntie,” Yoona said in between breaths. “It’s just a dream. That’s all”

“A nightmare,” Aunt Hana corrected her. She sat down on the bed next to her niece and patted her back. “You sure you’re alright? Would you like me to get you some tea?”

Yoona shook her head and smiled gratefully. “No, thank you, auntie. I’ll be fine. We should go back to sleep now.”

“If you say so,” Aunt Hana replied, sounding hesitant. “But if ever you need anything, just knock on my bedroom door.” She stood up, gave her niece an assuring smile and left.

That night, Yoona had a hard time sleeping. Her thoughts kept drifting back to the blurred detail in her dream. There was something important about the crime scene she had witnessed that she couldn’t remember.

And that “something” could make all the difference in the world.

~~~~

It was late at night and Donghae couldn’t sleep. It wasn’t Officer Wu’s snoring or the fear of ghosts that was keeping him awake. It was the indescribable hurt he was feeling inside, a hurt that began when he heard those painful words from Mrs. Im. 

Husband to be.

Donghae sighed. He couldn’t believe it. Why didn’t Yoona tell him about it? Was she just playing with his feelings, making him believe that there was something going on between them, when in truth she was already going to be married to someone else? Was she that cold and cruel? 

No. Yoona couldn’t be that kind of girl. He recalled the times she had helped him, going out into the rain just to look for him, talking to his father so he wouldn’t get fired… No. It was definitely not Yoona. She was naturally nice and caring. He decided that it was his fault. He fell for her too quickly.

If only there’s a way I could get over her, Donghae thought. He was on the verge of tears when he remembered something Eunhyuk told him a while ago.

“High school, dude! There are a lot of hot girls in there!”

And Donghae knew just what to do.

~~~~

The next day, Yoona hopped out of bed excitedly. Even though her night had been plagued by nightmares, the thought of school made her heart beat quickly against her chest. 


Humming to herself, the girl neatly placed all her belongings into her knapsack. This time though, her books were not arranged in alphabetical order because her thoughts were elsewhere. In her mind, she was constantly replaying the scene at the department store yesterday. A sense of pride and accomplishment filled her whole being. She made a decision and firmly stood by it. 

Why can’t you stand up for yourself? Donghae’s persistent voice echoed in her mind. 
 
I finally stood up for myself, Donghae, Yoona thought, smiling. All thanks to you.

Yoona expected Donghae to pick her up and walk her to school like the week before. However, when she opened the front door, only a cool breeze and the cheerful blooms of her aunt’s garden petunias were the ones to greet her. She looked around, worried. I wonder where he is. 

She fumbled for her cellphone, wondering if she should give him a call. Something could have happened to him. She was overreacting. Maybe, he just woke up late. Should she go to school by herself? Then again, something might happen and Officer Lee Myungdae might reprimand his son for not attending to his duties. A confused sigh escaped Yoona’s lips.Oppa, where are you? I hope you’re okay.

Five minutes had passed. Yoona took out her mobile phone. She was about to call Donghae when a small red Mazda pulled up by the sidewalk. Donghae stepped out from the driver’s seat, walked around and opened the back door for her. Smiling, Yoona sauntered towards the Mazda. 

“Nice car. Is it new?” Yoona asked cheerfully.

“Yes,” was all Donghae said as he walked back to the driver’s seat.

When Yoona stepped into the back seat, her jaw almost dropped in surprise. Sitting in the passenger’s seat, right in front of her, was no other than Jessica.

~~~~~

It wasn’t just during the car ride.

All throughout the day, Donghae spent a considerable amount of time with Jessica. The latter, of course, enjoyed it more than anything. She walked down the hallway arm in arm with junior agent and smirking at the other girls. Even Yoona.

And he didn’t tell me where he got the car and why he picked her up first, Yoona thought, frowning to herself as she leaned back on her chair. Aish! Why is he being so cold all of a sudden?

“During the nineteenth century…” The words the teacher was saying faded into the air. This was the first time Yoona couldn’t pay attention in class.

Maybe he’s falling for Jessica. The thought sent shivers up Yoona’s spine. She recalled all those heartbroken boys Jessica dumped after she got tired of them. She didn’t want Donghae to end up just like them. But maybe there was another reason why she didn’t want him to fall for Jessica. 

Yoona glanced at Donghae. He was sitting at the front row, busily taking down notes. Although he looked serious, the way his hair fell on his forehead, the way his eyes squinted, the way he tilted his head – these made him look even more handsome than he was. Yoona immediately looked down at her own notebook. She didn’t want anyone to see her blush again.

Donghae can’t have fallen for Jessica, Yoona assured herself. She remembered the day on the hill when she and Hae stopped by to rest. She remembered the way he looked at her then. Because I hope he has already fallen for “someone else”.

The bell rang, causing Yoona to sit up straight. Class was already over!

Once the teacher left the room, the students began to scramble about. Some went to pack up their things while some went to chat with their friends. Tiffany walked up to Jessica and said out loud, “Sica, are you going to the Moon Festival?”

Jessica batted her eyelashes as she spoke, “Of course, I am. In fact, I’m going with Donghae. Isn’t that right, Hae?”

Yoona looked at Donghae. Her heart broke when he nodded and said, “Yes. I am.”

~~~~

Yoona couldn’t let her classmates see her crying. She locked herself immediately in one of the stalls in the women’s comfort room, trying hard to control her sobs. 

Yoona, how can you have fallen for someone like that? She thought as she tried to blow her nose as quietly as possible. He’s like the male version of Jessica. He’d make you believe there’s something going on between the two of you then at the end of the day, you’ll just find him with another girl.

Yoona blew her nose into a sheet of tissue paper once more and threw it angrily into the trashcan. Fine, then. I can’t let myself mope around like this forever. I know exactly what to do.

With that, Yoona took out her cellphone and dialed her mother’s number.

“Yoong-dear!” Mrs. Im answered almost immediately. “You sound different. Are you sick?”

“I’m fine, omma. I just wanted to tell you something. Remember what I said about the matchmaker and the meet up? Well, I changed my mind. I want to go meet this guy after all.”