Chapter Fourteen

Star Witness

Once her mother had hung up, Yoona immediately looked at the clock. It was five to six. She decided not to waste another minute. She pocketed her phone and jumped on her bicycle, nearly losing her balance in the process.

“Wait! Where are you going?” Donghae said, hopping on his own bike as he chased after Yoona. “I’m going to follow you, you know that right?!”

But Yoona was already far ahead of him. Donghae biked faster. He wondered what suddenly got into the girl. She was pedaling like there was no tomorrow.

~~~~

Yoona had already made up her mind. The decision grew stronger and stronger with every push on the pedals. It grew even stronger when she hastily left her bike at the parking lot. It grew even more solid as she dashed into the mall. She made up her mind.

I’m not going to go through with the arranged marriage.

She was certain that it wasn’t needed. She already found someone.

~~~~

Mrs. Im was waiting patiently in the ladies’ section of the department store, leisurely going through a rack of tweed coats and vests. She was a small-statured woman with a perfect egg-shaped face just like her daughter. Her brows were neatly shaped and her lips were coated with dark pink lip gloss.

“Omma!” 

Mrs. Im turned around, swinging her Garbacci leather handbag along.“Yoong-dear!” 


She stepped forward and gave her daughter a peck on the cheek. 

~~~~

Donghae struggled to keep up with Yoona as she made her way through throngs of people down the main hallway of the mall, into the large department store and around a multitude of clothes in the ladies’ section. 

At first, he thought he had lost her. He could see nothing but blouses and skirts and dresses. Finally, he spotted Yoona talking to an older woman who looked much like her.

That’s her mother probably, Donghae concluded, noticing the degree of similarity between the two. The agent inched closer and when he was upon earshot, this is what he heard.

“Why do you look so haggard?” Mrs. Im was talking, pushing back a strand of hair away from her daughter’s face. “A girl like you should attempt to appear more decent! Not everyone has looks like yours. Learn to flaunt it. Anyway, I got a phone call from the matchmaker and she said your husband-to-be’s family is as excited as you are! Imagine - the man of your dreams has finally arrived! Aren’t you thrilled? Oh, how romantic! Now look at this blouse. The cream color matches your complexion. Your fiancée would love to see in you in this. I bet he’s looking forward to the meeting as much as you are.”

Match-maker?

Husband to be?

Fiancée? 


Yoona didn’t tell him anything about this. Not that he has to know but still…

Flashbacks ran through his mind. The day he ran out into the rain and she followed. The day she decided to save him from being fired. The day they raced downhill on their bikes. The day he hugged her… 

Maybe Yoona’s just a sweet person. Maybe she’s this nice to everyone. Maybe it’s just me who gave meaning to all of these things.

“Oh! Donghae – oppa! I’m so sorry…” It was Yoona. She finally saw him – finally remembered that he had been following her for the past few minutes now. 

I can’t blame her. She’s probably too excited thinking about this….matchmaking event. Donghae was surprised at how bitter he sounded in his thoughts. 

“Good afternoon,” the agent bowed to the girl’s mother. “I’m NPA Junior Agent Lee Donghae. I assume that you were informed of the recent events that involved your daughter?”

“Oh, yes.” Mrs. Im’s smile widened. “Yes, I was told. What an unfortunate thing to happen to a girl so young. Well, anyway, we shouldn’t be bothering you much longer, Donghae. Yoona and I have to look for shoes and a purse. Besides, I assure you she’ll be safe on the way home. My driver has a black belt in karate and he’s armed. Thank you for your services.”

Donghae forced a smile, turned around and left. 

~~~

Yoona watched disappointedly as Donghae disappeared around a corner. She turned to her mother and watched as Mrs. Im take out a baby blue dress, frown at it and put it back in its place.

I have to tell mother now. Yoona decided. I have to tell her that I don’t want to get married to this guy I don’t even know.

“Mother,” Yoona began. “I have to tell you something…”

Mrs. Im looked up at her daughter, who was looking at her squarely in the eye. Something changed in Yoona. She was no longer the timid, fearful girl who was afraid to stand up for herself. Something had changed in the way she carried herself and the way she spoke. It’s as if her confidence has gone up several levels. 

I wonder…
 Mrs. Im thought.

“I don’t this matchmaking service is a good idea,” Yoona stated, keeping her eyes on her mother, her voice firm. “For me, I mean.”

“I see,” Mrs. Im said, smiling. Immediately, Yoona’s mother phoned the matchmaker to cancel the meet up. As she was talking on the phone, Mrs. Im glanced at her daughter who was browsing through a rack of knit cardigans. Yoona-dear. I know exactly why you made that decision.