Chapter Seven

Star Witness

[Flashback]

“And he ran away. That’s so typical of him. This isn’t the first time, you know,” Eunhyuk finished his account of what had happened at the conference room. While he was speaking, Yoona just stood there listening, taking it all in.

Finally, she turned to him, her voice rising above the rain which was drumming violently on the roof. “I-it’s raining hard outside. Oppa might get sick. Will you help me go after him?” 

Eunhyuk nodded and led the way. At once, they headed for the garage and hopped into the Junior Agent’s Honda Civic. Like a sports car, the Civic zoomed out of the garage and into the NPA parking lot.

They only spent one day with each other and yet, Eunhyuk glimpsed at the rearview mirror to see Yoona huddled up in her coat, looking to and fro. Her eyes were glued to the windows, her forehead creased in intense worry. He chuckled. Donghae, I envy you.

“See him anywhere?” Eunhyuk said a couple of minutes later as he drove down a lane. He scratched his head. Donghae couldn’t have gotten that far. “He has to be around here.” 

“There!” Yoona exclaimed as the car turned a corner. Eunhyuk pressed on the brakes, slowing the car down into a stop. But before he could speak, Yoona had already leaped out, slamming the car door shut behind her. With a big yellow umbrella in hand, she ran towards the lone crouched figure in the middle of the parking lot.

[End of flashback]

Donghae immediately stood up, keeping his head bowed so that his damp hair covered his eyes. He lightly took the heavy umbrella from Yoona’s hand and held it up for both of them.

“Yoona-shi, what are you doing here?” Donghae finally spoke in a hushed tone. His voice was still strained from crying. “How did you find me? How did you get here so fast?”

Yoona pointed to the Civic, where Eunhyuk was waving from the driver’s seat. He drove the car a little further towards them.

“Hurry,” Eunhyuk ordered, jamming a thumb towards the back seat. He let out a laugh as soon as Donghae and Yoona were inside. “Now you really look like a fish.”

Donghae grunted and looked away. 

“You know,” Eunhyuk continued. “You have to be thankful Yoona’s here. If it weren’t for her, I wouldn’t have gone after you. She was all worried about you – worried that you might get sick.”

Yoona found herself blushing. She bowed her head and nervously placed her hands on her lap.

Suddenly, a voice broke the silence. 

“I’m sorry I had to put you through all that trouble, Yoona-shi,” Donghae said. He still sounded croaky. “I’m sorry about the roses. I’m sorry for the harsh words I’ve said to you. I’m sorry for my impulsive actions – running out like this. I don’t think I can protect you. Father would probably assign someone else to be your guardian tomorrow.” 

For some reason, Yoona felt her heart sink. She turned back to Donghae. He was looking outside, not at her. He took out a slightly damp handkerchief and began to wipe his forehead, brushing his hair away and revealing his reddened eyes. Now, he turned to face her, a sincere but sad smile on his face. “It’s been nice knowing you.”

It’s not all your fault. I acted impulsively too, running away from you like that. It was my fault for being too sensitive. Oppa, I don’t want…But Yoona never had the chance to say these words. Eunyhuk pulled up in front of an NPA building where a slender young woman with very short hair was waving at them. She was wearing the same uniform as Eunhyuk.

“Yo Amber!” Eunhyuk rolled down the window pane as he parked. 

“Hey!” Amber said peering into the car. “You have the witness with you?”

“Yep,” Eunhyuk jerked his head backwards. “And the run-away.”

Donghae slowly opened the back door, but Amber tugged at it, causing the former to almost fall. The girl guffawed. 

“Oh my goodness, Donghae! Who told you to go swimming with your clothes on?” she remarked, pulling him up. 

“Quit it, Amber, I’m not in a good mood,” Donghae said, standing up.

“I wouldn’t be either, if I’m soaking wet like that,” the female Junior Agent laughed again. “Go and change. You’re beginning to smell.”

Donghae steadied himself and stomped off into the building.

Amber reached out a hand to Yoona, who was still inside the car. “And you’re Im Yoona, I presume? Liu Amber, Junior Agent Rank Three. We’ve contacted your family back in Jeongsan and acquired their consent for you to stay here overnight. You still have to go through a second round of medical assessment tomorrow, so it’s best if you rest instead of travelling back.”

“B-but-“ Yoona was about to protest when she realized that it was Friday. She gave the friendly agent a smile and got out of the car. 

“I’m going to be your roommate,” Amber continued as she closed the car door. Then, she stretched out her hands towards the building’s entrance. “Welcome to the Junior Agent Dormitories!”

~~~~

Author's Note: Yet another short chapter (without a cliff-hanger this time). By the way, I couldn't help but include Amber from f(x). She is such a unique person and I thought she'd make a great character. Thanks once again for the feedback! Happy Holidays to all of you! Yoonhae is plain awesome, don't you think?