Realizations.

The Distance Between Us

 

824390pu4v2k4ilk.gif
 
"Yoohooo! Are you okay?" Hyoyeon poked him.
 
"Eh? I thought you were still there!"
 
She smacked his arm. "My performance was like 10 minutes ago, silly. You're head is above the clouds. What exactly are you thinking about?"
 
"So.. The audition is over?"
 
"Obviously. Tomorrow's the result. I've been looking for you the whole time."
 
"Is that so? Okay, let's go to our lockers!"
 
Hyoyeon held him.
 
"We need to talk."
 
Eunhyuk had a mini heart attack. Didn't see this coming.
 
"Why? Did I do something wrong? And about what?"
He was nervous the whole time.
 
"About us."
 
"What's the meaning of this?" He thought to himself.
 
"Uhm, go ahead."
 
"I think this is enough." Hyoyeon sighed.
 
"Enough what?" He was extremely clueless.
 
"This. Everything. I've had enough."
 
"I don't get it. Be direct to the point."
 
"People think we are rivals. I'm sick of hearing the same thing. They can't even decide between the two of us and that's unfair. There can only be one winner and most of the time, you're the chosen one." She didn't looked at him directly because she was ashamed of herself.
 
"Now I get it." Eunhyuk thought to himself. He cleared his throat and said, "Is that the reason why you're mad at me all this time?" He was neither angry nor sad.
 
"Honestly, yes. In fact, I envy you." She admitted. It's rare for competitive Hyoyeon to admit such thing.
 
"Why is that so? But we stand out on almost everything so there's nothing for you to be jealous about."
 
"Exactly. The battle is always between you and me. It revolves between us. No wonder we've never spoke a word to each other back then because in my mind, I always think that you are my competitor."
 
"So, what you're saying is you don't want me to be the only one to compete with and you want others as well so that you won't get mad at me?"
 
She was blushing and sweating the whole time. "I.. Yes. I've thought about it a few times. That's why I'm asking for your forgiveness."
 
Instead of getting mad, Eunhyuk was touched! At last, Hyoyeon started to change and remove her bad habits!
 
"Are you still mad at me?" He asked, shyly.
 
"Not anymore. I'm done holding grudges to anyone. Ever since childhood, I hate losing. I thought everyone who would interfere and challenge me will be gone easily. But I was wrong."
 
Eunhyuk became serious after what she said.
"That's it. That's your bad attitude. Do you really think that every person who has the same interest as you wanted to take everything away from your hands? Of course not. Me and you having the same goals and target was just a coincidence. You always think that we hinder you that's why you've turned into that kind of person. That's wrong. I've never wanted to compete with you. I wanted to talk to you ever since, but you won't give me a chance."
 
Hyoyeon remained silent for a few minutes. What will happen between the two of them?