Yoseob: Promised Smiles

Gamers

I smiled and walked out of the room. “I’ll be out for a moment. Yoonjie-ssi, please take good care of Mysterie.”

   Without taking another look at Junhyung and Hyunseung, I left knowing that they were still gaping at me. I pushed the wooden door leading to the corridor and walked outside. Every maids and guards stopped and bowed at me as I strided past them. I looked at of them and allowed some faded smiles to past through my face, just enough to save it from withering away. That also had a minor effect – making some maids blushed uncontrollably and causing the guards to freeze in their tracks. I smirked and put my cold hands on the mark on my neck in order to relieve the pain. It had been a long time since I last went through a pain like that.

   “Yoseob-ah!” You called my name and beamed happily as I headed towards you. My heart skipped a beat, wondering why a single girl on this planet could be that beautiful. I wasn’t even sure that it was because you are the prettiest girl I’ve met in my whole lifetime, or that was just because I was madly in love with you. Even now, I still love you. You will be the only one that I love.

   You screamed excitedly as I lifted your feet of the ground and began to spin you around. I stepped aside so that I wouldn’t get into the sun’s way while still holding you. You giggled and started to punch my arm gently as to tell me to stop. I lifted you up into the air one more time. Your face was right next to the sun and that made my heart stopped. I stared at you without saying a word. Your beautiful brown eyes widened in surprise as you held your hands in front of me and waved.

   “Hey, Yoseob-ah!” You pouted in your very own way and slapped me gently. I startled and spun you around for a few more rounds before putting you down. You fixed your messed up hair and looked at me curiously.

   “What were you doing?”

   “Nah, nothing.” I said. “I was just comparing you to the sun over there.”

   “So… What do you think?”You blushed and your silver bracelet.

   “Apparently…” I pretended to halt to draw your attention.

   “What?”

   “The sun is much prettier.” I laughed as you stomped your feet angrily and pretended to walk away. I followed you and embraced you in my arms. You hold my arms with your two fragile hands and looked up at me questioningly. It was your way of expressing doubt. I bent down and whispered in your ears:

   “The sun is prettier than everything else in this world, but you are even more than that. When I lifted you up, your smile made the sun become a blurry, ugly balloon of light. Yeah, you are the prettiest, not only to me, but to everyone else.”

   You beamed happily and pushed yourself away from me. I followed your guide to a position on the field without knowing the reason why. After all, love is always blind. As I settled on the position, you took out your Polaroid and took a picture. Then you showed me your achievement.

   “See? Your smile is even brighter than the sun, and I repeat that it was only your smile. If I put you next to the sun, our human being will have to use you as a portable, living lightbulb all the time because you made the sun withered. And compared to this?” You pointed a finger at your face as you began to do aegyos. “It’s not even a fair battle.”

   “You surely know how to flatter me, young lady.” You shrieked cheerfully as I tickled your sides, and we both ended up lying on the ground laughing our heads of. You turned your head and watched me laughing, your finger caressing my hair.

   “Hey, Yang Yoseob, you know what?”

   “Huh?”

   “You are beautiful when you smile, and I would only want to see you do that everyday, even after we are over.” You halted. “By death… or something. But promise me that you will smile everyday, even though I’m not there. Okay?” You sticked your pinky out and I hooked mine around it with a smile on my face. “I promise.”

   So I stood there, feeling like the color of the sky at down could possibly drown me. And I smiled. I used to smile, I am smiling, and I will always be smiling, because I promised you to do so even though you are away.

   “Seob.” Hyunseung appeared like a ghost and patted my shoulder. I turned back and saw him holding my jacket out; his torn white shirt was already replaced by a bloody red shirt that looked exactly like mine. “Put this on,” He ordered. “It’s cold outside. You’ll catch a cold if you continue to sneak out from work wearing that thin shirt.”

   “Thanks.” I smiled for the thousandth time of the day and put the jacket over my shoulder. “How is Mysterie?”

   “You know we can call her name as long as that ogress isn’t around.” He mumbled. “__________ is doing fine and she’s reached Level Six already. That stupid woman forgot to set up the form of the maze, and she hasn’t even realized that even though her apprentice has been running on the same terrain for more than an hour…”

   “I’m so telling her about this, Seung ah.” I chuckled and went back into the palace. Hyunseung startled and chased me.

   “Hey, Yoseob, are you really telling her? Yoseob! Hey! Are you even my friend? Yang Yoseob! Don’t you dare ignoring me!” A wide grin spreaded across my face as he began to beg me, but I decided to pretend that I didn’t hear him. Sometimes a top knight needs to punish his weaker fellows.

   “We’re back.” I announced as we walked inside the monitoring room. Yoonjie was busily writing on the grading paper as Junhyung struggled with all of the buttons and levers on the controlling board. Hyunseung took two glass bottles and threw me one. That was when I realized that I had been freaking thirsty all the time. I finished the bottle in just two sips and began to watch __________ as her attempt of jumping over a prey failed. Yoonjie massaged her forehead as if she was under terrible stress and mumbled:

   “Maybe I have to change her advantage from Agility to Stupidity. Mysterie!” She yelled into a microphone, making __________ startle and trip on the floor again. “How many times have I told you not to jump over anything if you can’t control where you are going to land your dumb ?”

   Junhyung left out a weak laughter as he passed the control of the board to Yoonjie. She raised an eyebrow at him and chuckled in silence. I smirked and pretended to find a place to hang my jacket as Hyunseung raised a hand to stop before he took another sip from the bottle. Then he put it down and announced. “I’m ready.”

   Hyunseung stood still just like a statue as Junhyung slowly ed his collar and bit his neck. He groaned in pain and grabbed a strong hold of Junhyung’s grip while the latter closed his eyes and began to swallow everything down greedily. As Junhyung finished his decent meal, Hyunseung staggered back and reached the bed. I stepped aside as he collapsed on the bed and fell asleep immidiately.

   “Junhyung, you are such a greedy bastard…” He mumbled in his sleep and turned his back at us. I chuckled and began to tease Junhyung.

   “You should do it somewhere else next time. I felt like watching .”

   “Shut up.” Junhyung blushed and turned away. “And stop those riddiculous smiles on your face. It makes me sick. It’s just because you promised someone to smile everyday doesn’t mean that you have to creep other people out with that. Smile when you want to, Yoseob.”

   “I won’t.” I leaned against the wall and watched __________ trying to dodge a flying target. “Because they are promised smiles.”

Author's words: Hey guys, it's me again *screaming desperately to every of the silent readers* Lately I've been changing the way the character acts continuosly, so I'm afraid that there will be some changes in the plot (which I'll edit back soon). Check out the description if you want to know more about the new plot. The upload pace will be slower from next week because I'll be back to school (extra classes every morning, five 45-minute periods in the afternoon except for a four-period Thursday, more extra class in the evening Monday to Friday and one more English class in Sunday afternoon), not to mention the two tests of History and Biology (I haven't even begun studying yet :ohgodwhy:) Fcuk those b*tches who made me study this much~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, see you soon <3 More JUNSEUNG will come in the next chapters but don't forget about the romance between you and one of the vampires!