Twist of Events

Played by Fate |HIATUS|

Chapter 3
Twist of Events

---According to Dara's calendar it had been approximately 2 days since she'd last seen the face of Kwon Jiyong. It had been really peaceful during those days and she was given the chance to concentrate more on the contest that was going to happen in just about 3 days.
 
They weren't given a lot of time to practice because of the fact that Chae Rin made a last minute deccission, but at least they were making progress. Just in case though, Bom had prepared a big parchment paper where she could write the lyrics of the song in case they forgot it. Chae Rin thought it unnecessarry to do such a thing, but the other two had agreed to it greatly leaving her with no choice, but to say yes.
 
"I think we should just let the moves flow and concentrate more on our music." Chae Rin suggested taking a sip of her Choco frape. They were, yet again, inside their favorite cafe in the campus: The Bean.
 
"Besides, we're not joining a pageant show to act all cutesy and stuff. We joined it to make people see that we make great music. Right?"
 
"Still." Bom interjected. "I saw Kim Taeyeon's group practice with a really cool choregraphy. You know we have tough competition when it came to dance Chae Rin." She held her hand up in front of her friend and started to count on her fingers the names she called out. "So Nyu Shi Dae has Kim Hyoyeon; Kara has Jung Nicole; After School has Kahi and Brown Eyed Girls has Gain. Do you have any idea how good those girls are in dancing?"
 
You can tell the red-head was nervous because her hands were flailing around the space surrounding her.
 
Chae Rin shrugged and pointed over to Minzy's direction. "So? We also have Gong Minji here, so there's no problem with that."
 
Dara placed a hand on Bom's shoulder for reassurance. "Bom, please calm down. Even if we don't win at least we tried right?"
 
Bom thought for a moment. If they do an impromptu choreography they could screw up the whole performance. Although, the song was actualy not really made for dancing, but only acting, so it was probably okay. They could just walk here; make faces, walk there, make slow hand gestures and boom.
 
"All right." She gave in putting her hands down "But if they want a dance battle, we throw in Minzy okay?"
 
The three of them nodded as a 'yes'. When all that was settled Minzy made a move to throw the question she wanted to ask Bom ever since she named the dancers of each group.
 
"How do you know the group names of our girl opponents?"
 
Bom froze on her seat as her eyes nervously looked around the whole place. She then forcefully laughed. "Well... you see... ah... I have sources... so... yeah... Did you know that So Nyu Shi Dae's group consists of 9 members!?" She exclaimed throwing the topic off road.
 
"Mwo!?" Dara, Chae Rin and Minzy screamed in unnison. "Waeyo!?"
 
"I heard that the chairman of the officers bent the rules and put her in the group." She bobbed her head up and down to add effect to her statement looking like a real gossip queen.
 
Chae Rin leaned back into her seat and crossed her arms. "The things you get if your uncle is the CEO of this school." She said her voice in a mock tone. It's not that she hated the So Nyu Shi Dae girls. It's not like that at all. In fact she's really good friends with Kim Taeyeon and Jung Jessica. It's just that she wasn't on good terms with their member recent member, Sunny. She was her cousin sharing the same CEO uncle, yet she abuses this power too much because she say she's "the favorite" niece out of all of them. She could just rip her head off to get things over with. That spoiled little brat should know her place in the family. After all, she wasn't next in line for Lee industries. She was.
 
"Let's just let it go. It's not worth our time to ponder." Dara told them.
 
There was a moment of awkward silence as the four of them calmly sat on their seats. Chae Rin was still a little mad, Bom was squirming in her seat obviously hiding something, Dara watched her friends, a little worried and Minzy was just plainly confused with the whole topic.
 
Minzy put her hands down on the table and stood up. "You know what, I agree with noona. We should go and practice to improve our music. Besides Dara-noona still needs to train her voice because she does lack experience after all. And we only have 3 days left to condition her."
 
Chae Rin wandered her eyes around the place trying to look like she's thinking things through, when if fact she already has a thought.
 
"You know what? You're right. Let's get outta here and practice."
 
She stood up from the seat and walked out of the cafe with an air of power surrounding her.
 
"You know that girl... she should be our leader." Bom suggested.
 
"I second the motion." Dara agreed.
 
Minzy chuckled and pointed towards the exit. "Should we follow our almighty leader then?"
 
The three of them exchanged glances before breaking out into a fit of laughter.
 
"Let's go."
 
The four of them decided to practice all afternoon, even when Minzy and Bom left for their afternoon class, Dara and Chae Rin (who had no more classes) kept on practicing inside the music room. With Chae Rin giving out points to Dara.
 
"Maybe if you try to take in more air..." Chae Rin suggested pushing Dara's abdomen back lightly.
 
Dara nodded her head and took a deep breath in. "Neomu chakhan neonde neon geudaeroinde Oh..." She sang.
 
Chae Rin was bobbing her head to the melody of the song and waited for Dara to finish before singing her own line as well.
 
"I don't know, I don't know. Naega wae ireoneunji..."
 
"Geutorok saranghaenneunde neon yeogi inneunde Oh..."
 
"And that's Bom's part..." Chae Rin pointed out her eyes fixed on the lyrics in her hands.
 
Dara just continued singing her part even if Chae RIn sorta ruined the moment.
 
"Ije nal chatgo sipeo..." She trailed off her voice echoing through the whole room.
 
Chae Rin clapped her hands proudly. "That was an improvement."
 
Dara puffed out her cheeks. "I feel like I still need to train more..."
 
"You still need to hit a few notes, but aside from those you are greatly improving noona." She reassured patting the older girl's back. "Shall we do that again?"
Dara nodded her head as a 'yes' so they repeated the whole song all-over again going over Dara's part. They were in the middle of their practice when Minzy burst through the door.
 
She threw her bags to the side before saying, "Wasn't that Kwon Jiyong?" She was pointing her thumb towards the door.
 
"Mwo? He was here?" Dara questioned running to the door. She stuck her head out and searched for the said man, but could only find the empty hallway.
 
Minzy and Chae Rin was a little surprised by her reaction. She became Flash once she heard the name Kwon Jiyong. It was like a power switch to their friend.
 
"Well, no. He was just turning into a corner..." Minzy trailed off.
 
Dara sighed. "I see." She returned to her spot with her friends relief washing over her body. She can't let Kwon Jiyong know that she's gonna enter this music group contest thing. Even her brother doesn't know she dropped the role to sing. He believes Chae Rin was the first one to offer her the oppurtunity to sing, so she just grabbed it before knowing that she was casted as the lead.
 
Minzy stared at Dara a little dumbfounded. Why would she decided to act like that anyway.
 
She shook her head and decided to change the whole topic.
 
"By the way, did you guys know they moved the date of the contest to next week?"
 
"Next week? But I thought Music Festival Week is only this week? Including, the contests." Chae Rin said matter-of-factly. She can not be mistaken. She went over the details of the festival far too many times to be proven wrong.
 
"Committee treasurer Jung Kyu Min stole one-fourth of the budget. He used it to pay the hospital bill of his dying mother."
 
"Kyumin? That guy's in my department." Dara stated seeming familiar with the name. "He's not really born with money. He's lucky he even got a full-time scholarship here in UPA."
 
"Yeah well, he just lost that scholarship and he just got kicked out last night."
 
"So what are they gonna do with the budget they lost?"
 
Chae Rin brushed the thought of Kyumin away and asked a different question regarding the festival. It was far more important to her than some poor scholar getting kicked out for stealing money from the school so he could pay for his mother's hospital bills. It was just cold-hearted Chae Rin kicking in because she was a little pissed off by the change of events.
 
Minzy shrugged her shouldders. "I don't know. They said they can't do anything more about it since he already spent the money, but they are comming up with ways to earn back the money they lost. Until then, all Music Festival activities are postponed to next week."
 
"Well that is ." Chae Rin snapped. After that a few more words came out that weren't too holy or pure. She was really pissed off and you can tell by the way her eyes flamed with anger and the way some equipment flew across the room. She was usually a nice girl but she gets pissed off easily, especially when she set her mind on something and then it suddenly gets blown away because of someone else's mistake.
 
Minzy and Dara just kept quiet the whole time Chae Rin went berserk. They were too scared to even interrupt her little tantrum.
 
They waited it out until she finally calmed down, sitting on a corner of the room her face burried beneath the crook of her knees with her arms sticking out, one hand holding a bottle of water.
 
Dara approached her cautiously and sat beside her . "Look on the bright side. At least we were given more time to train."
 
Chae Rin was silent. She didn't even flinch.
 
Dara was about to stand up when Chae Rin spoke, her voice muffled because she didn't lift her head up. "Maybe this is a blessing in disguise."
 
"It probably is." She smiled and held out a hand to help her friend up.
 
Chae Rin looked up and grabbed that hand.
 
"So... we practice now? Bom-noona will be here in any minute." Minzy had said looking at her watch.
 
Right on cue, Bom entered the door of the music room. She was taking heavy breaths and her hair was sticking out in many directions signifying that she was running.
 
"Hey did you guys know that-"
 
"We do." The three chorused cutting her off.
 
Her expression changed. "Oh... then I guess I don't have to relate the story." She said feeling a little awkward with the atmosphere. "So..." She began looking for a new topic. Then she found the lyrics that Dara was holding. "'Shall we take it to the top?"
 
"We were about to do just that."
 
Chae Rin grabbed the copy of the lyrics from her bag and handed it to Bom.
 
"Okay. 1... 2... 3..." She grabbed the remote and clicked play. In merely a second the intrumental of the song they had recorded earlier that week started playing and echoing through the whole room.
 
"Jigeum naega haneun yaegi..."
 
The practice continued on. It stopped whenever Chae Rin felt like there was something off with the song. It stopped whenever Bom fails to hit the right note. It stops when Dara messes up the lyrics. It stops whenever Minzy says she needs to go to the bathroom.
 
This continued on until they were all too tired to even open their mouths and their throat was to dry to even conjure up a one-syllable word.
 
"I think we've had enough for today... let's go home." Chae Rin suggested.
 
The others agreed and they all went back to their penthouse at the UPA girl's avenue. After dinner all of them went to their respective rooms to have some privacy.
 
Dara plopped herself down on her bed fresh out of the shower. She was really worn out and really wanted to rest that time, but the sudden turn of events bothered her. Maybe it really was a blessing in disguise.
 
With that thought she slowly closed her eyes and just when she was about to drift off into dreamland her phone vibrated violently. She planned to ignore the text until morning but there was a nagging feeling inside her saying she should pick up the phone on her side table and read the stupid text.
 
With a heavy groan she snatched  the gadget from the side of her bed. She unlocked the phone and read her new text message from an unknown number.
 
Meet me at exactly 9:00 sharp tomorrow in front of Morning Brew cafe.
-Kwon Jiyong
 
Her eyes almost popped from their sockets when she saw the text. How the hell did that bastard know her number? Or better yet, was it even him who was texting her in the first place? It was a little too hard to believe after all.
 
What if I don't show up?
 
Dara was annoyed. Of all the people she could get a text from at this time must it be that jerk?
 
She stared at the cieling and held her phone in her hand as she waited for his reply. She doesn't even know if he'll reply anyway.
 
Before she could close her eyes she recieved yet another text. Without waiting for the second vibration she already opened the message and read it.
 
I'll tell everyone that you quit the lead role of your department's play just so you could join the Music Group Contest. How is that?
 
Dara pursed her lips in deep thought. So he did see her sing in the music room earlier today, but how'd he know she quit the play just to join the contest?
 
She considered her options. If he told the whole school about her little u-turn towards her department now everything will fall apart and a lot of kids in her dep will hate her. She told the head of the production that she's gonna step down because she thinks she's incapable of being the lead. He almost went down on his knees just begging for her not to quit, but Dara reasoned it put up too much pressure on her because she was assigned on another production first and she can't keep on going to two rehearsals.
 
With a heavy sigh she texted her reply.
 
I'll be there.
 
She leaned her head back on her pillow and pondered so many thoughts for a little while. She wasn't really expecting a reply, but her phone vibrated yet again.
 
You better be.
 
Dara scowled at the screen of her phone. This guy irks her to her last nerves. If he really is the one texting her, she is gonna give him a piece of her mind tomorrow. After all, she still had this a few questions running through her mind.
 
Where the hell did he get her number!? And how the hell did he know about her quitng the play just to join the contest!?

 

Author's Note:
 
In honesty, I planned to update this yesterday but it was our graduation so I wasn't given the time. Plus the temporary shut down of AFF made it impossible for me because I slept when I found out I can't save the story.
 
I'm not too happy with this chapter, so I'll make-up for it on the next chapter.
 
Don't forget to leave a comment readers!