To Care

Loveless

Ren’s POV

I wake up with an extremely sore body. My head is pounding. I slowly open my eyes. The blindingly bright room is spinning. After a while of squinting, my eyes adjust to the light. My surroundings get clearer, and the spinning ceased.

I don’t know where I am. There’s a clock on the wall across from me. The white walls are bare. There are boxes and luggage on the ground, as if its occupant had just moved in. Though my body hurts, I’m lying on something soft. I look down. Why am I lying on such a girly bed…. Where am I?

Something wet falls onto my arm. I look to my side, there’s a girl sitting next to me. She’s crying. Wait…its Su Min.

“…Su…Min….?” the coarseness of my voice surprises both of us.

She looks at me with wide watery eyes. I try to get up but my injuries force me back down. I squeeze my eyes and wait for the pain to ease.

“Ren! Are you ok?” her voice is shaky.

I look at her. Her eyes, rimmed with tears, are full of concern. She’s worried about me…. Nobody has ever worried about me before.

“Ren?”

“I’m fine” I say. I try to get back again but this time Su Min reaches out and gently pushes me back.

“Ren, you’re hurt really badly, don’t move.”

For some reason I comply to her words. She takes this liquid stuff and applies it to the bruises on my arm.

“Does it hurt?” I shake my head.

 I’m lying, the liquid burns. But for some odd reason lying here like this makes me…happy…  It feels kind of nice in a way, the feeling of someone caring for you. I can’t really explain… I guess it makes you feel warm. The last time I’ve felt like this was when my mom was still alive.

 I recall a memory from when I was about seven years old. I was riding my new bike when I fell. My knees were scraped and bleeding. My mom immediately rushed out of the house, rubbing alcohol and band aids in hand. “It’s ok, sweetie, mommy’s here…..” The memory makes my chest tighten. Mom….

“There, done.” Su Min says. I look up at her. She flashes me that smile.

Her smile drops and looks sadly at my lip. Oh yeah….I had forgotten all about my bloody lip.

“Thanks for taking care of me.” I say. I try to cover my lip with my hand as I make a move to get up. I don’t want to trouble her anymore. Once again she stops me.

“No, I need to take care of that.” She reaches down and picks up a wet cotton swab then moves it towards my face. Her hands are shaking. She drops everything. A tear rolls down her pale cheek. I feel a jab in my chest. I unconsciously reach out to wipe the warm tear away. The movement strains my arm and side but I ignore it.

“Don’t cry….” I say as soothingly as I can. My hand lingers on her soft skin for a moment longer.

She shakes her head and takes my hand with both of hers, and looks me right in the eye. Her hands are warm and comforting. I can’t bear to bring any more pain to her.

“Ren. Tell me. Who did this to you?” she pleaded, more tears falling.

“Nobody, It’s nothing.”

“It’s not nothing! Chin Ho did this to you, didn’t he?”

I look down, not knowing what to say. How did she know?

“Ren, answer me.” Her crying is heavier now.

I don’t know what to do. My chest hurts more with every tear that falls.

“Please, Ren. Just tell me” she pleads softly, slightly tightening her hold on my hand.

I sigh and wipe more tears from her face with my free hand. I thought back to what had happened earlier.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was walking home when out of nowhere; Chin Ho comes and attacks me. I fall, the cut on my lip reopens from the crash.

“Pretty boy, what did you do to her?” he demands

I grunt and try to get up from the ground. The hit was completely unexpected, Chin Ho’s never bothered me after school before.

“….Who..?”I ask, hoping that some miracle will bring him to believe I was ignorant and unworthy of punishment. Of course, I already knew who we were talking about. He knew it too.

“You know who! Su Min, you bastard!”

I slowly get up to my feet. “I didn’t do anything to her”

“LIAR.” He punches me in the stomach. I fall to the ground with a grunt, clutching to my stomach in attempt to stop the pain.

“Now why would she want to have lunch with YOU of all people, pretty boy? WHY?”

“ I…I don’t know.” I say truthfully.

“What did you say?!” he tried kicking me in the stomach but I rolled away. He ended up kicking my leg instead. I could feel blood seeping through my pants.

He came over and grabbed my hair, yanking me up. I scream, my scalp enflamed.

“Now you listen to me and you listen close, pretty boy. If I ever, I mean EVER, see you with her again, prepare to die. GOT THAT?”

I had no choice but to nod. The wounds from the morning were kicking in and my head was spinning like crazy.

After he left I tried walking home. I fell a few times, tripped over things and then I saw Su Min’s face. For some reason, seeing her made me relieved.

“Su Min”

Then everything went dark.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I told her the censored version, not bothering to mention that she was the reason I had so many wounds. It would only hurt her more. I left out most of the violence too…and the fact that I was bullied earlier today.

None the less, her face contained utter shock and anger. Her grip on my hands fell slack.

“Why…..why is he so horrible?” she whispered.  I felt like it was more of a statement then a question.

I shrugged and got up to leave. I could no longer feel most of my wounds.

“Well, I have to go. Thanks for everything.”

She shook her head.

“I’ll walk you home.” She got up to a standing position

“No, you don’t have to, really. You already did so much for me.”

She smiled up at me.

“I want to”

Something in me softened and I nodded. Besides, I should live nearby.

“Ok”

Turns out, I lived in the apartment right next to her. No joke. Right. Next. To. Her. What a coincidence, right?

I walked into my apartment. The lights were off so I turned them on. The scent of alcohol filled the air. The place was a mess. Empty beer bottles and laundry littered the floor along with ramen cartons and chips. The dirty dishes were piled high in the sink. So different from Su Min’s place.

My dad was lying on the couch snoring, drunk as ever. The television was on before him, muted. Five empty cans of Bud Light surrounded his feet. I sighed and turned off the TV. I’m glad he’s not awake. I’ve had enough cuts and bruises for today. I don’t need him to make any more. Especially after he’s had a few drinks.

I pulled a blanket over his unconscious body and turned toward my room.

“Good night” I whispered. I didn’t expect an answer. I never do.

That night, all I could think about was Su Min. What is going on with me…?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks to all those who commented and/or subscribed!!! J It makes me really happy, I really appreciate it! :D