Open

Loveless

The man turns around and stares at me. He looks drunk. Fear strangles me and straps me to the ground. I can’t move or talk. The man tilts his head and walks towards me. I look at him in wonder and fear, cursing my stupid mouth the entire time.

He is now inches away from me. Who is he?

Help me Ren….

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Who….are…you….?” he aked. His voice was low and unsteady.

I clench my fists and force myself to speak. My mouth was dry but I ignore it.

“I-I’m Su Min….your neighbor…..as well as Ren’s….friend….” I blushed. I don’t know why but I felt awkward telling this stranger about my relationship with Ren.

He grunts uninterestedly.

“W-who a-are you?” I stammer.

He looks up at me and smirks.

“I’m that kid’s father.”

I gasp. I can’t help it. I guess I should have seen it coming….but I had no idea that this drunkard could be the father of Ren. I stare dumbfounded at the man. Now that I look closely…the eyes are similar….and so is the jawbone. I felt a jab in my heart. Ren never told me his dad. I don’t know so much….well….I guess there’s a lot that he doesn’t know about me…..

I think about the reason why I had moved and shiver.

Don’t think about that, you’ve got more important things to worry about! I think to myself.

 I feel Ren’s dad start moving towards the living room and return to my trail of thought from earlier, about Ren’s mysterious behavior and his injury.

If he’s Ren’s dad he must know what’s going on with Ren, right? My fear suddenly disappears and determination takes its place.

“Excuse me Ajeossi but I’m a really close friend of Ren’s….he’s been acting weird today. He seems to have injured his hand really badly… He’s got two giant gashes on his palm. Do you happen to know anything about it….?”

He stops his movements and flinches. He wavers silently in place, his eyes are glossy. He looks at me and chuckles. I’m stunned. Why’s he laughing? He shakes his head. He looks down at the ground sadly.

“You know, Ren’s friend…..umm…..”

“Su Min”

“….Ah….. Su Min…. I’ve been a …a...bad….parent….”

I’m even more confused. What is he trying to say?

“I’ve been a bad…bad….father….” he murmurs, as if to his self. He laughs again, but the laugh was empty.

“What are you saying?” I ask. He looks at me painfully. His eyes moisten.

“Tell me….Su Min….how are these wounds of his….?” His question makes my eyebrows furrow in bewilderment. Why was he asking this?

“Um….it’s kind of bad actually…the cuts looked deep but Ren wouldn’t let me take a closer look at them…” I reply sadly.

“Oh really….” A tear slides down his cheek. He sighs and looks me in the eye.

“I have done bad things, Su Min. Very bad things. Things I wish I could erase….but I can’t….I just… can’t …..”

It hurts me to see Ren’s father like this. I try to walk over to comfort him but he shakes his head.

“Please take care of Ren….” He says. With that the door closes.

I walk slowly back to my apartment, processing what he had just told me. I pieced everything together and gasped at my discovery. Could it be? It was Ren’s own father that had done this to him? I blinked back the tears. So all this time…Ren has been putting up with abuse at home. The thought makes me angry. I wish I could run over to the apartment beside me and punch Ren’s father but something inside me prevents me. I think back to his words….it sounded like he really regretted his actions.

I fall down onto the nearby chair and sigh. Why didn’t Ren tell me all of this?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Ren’s POV

I come home.  I walk to the kitchen, my dad is sitting at the table. Four beer bottles surrounded him. This is a change, he never drinks in the kitchen. He looks up at me and immediately looks down again.

“Hello Ren….”

He never says hi to me……his words make me confused…but I can’t help but feel a bit happy.

“H-hey dad….” I reply, trying to keep myself from smiling.

“You’re friend Su Min came over today…”

I freeze. What? Su Min came?

“She what?”

He sighs.

“She came over…and asked about your….injury….”

I don’t know what to say. We stand in silence.

“I’m sorry Ren.” He whispers. I look at him in disbelief. Did he just apologize? Am I sleeping? A tear slides down his cheek.

“I’m sorry Ren….for being such a bad father.”

He gets up and leaves. I remain where I am.  I hear a door close. He has retreated to his room.  I take a seat at the chair he had occupied but moments ago and sigh. What just happened…?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day Su Min and I didn’t really talk. I knew that she knew about my father…and I’m certain she knew that too.  

It wasn’t until after school that she finally spoke. She took my hand led me to our tree. The one we used to always have lunch at. We only come here every now and then now…. I kind of miss hanging out here.

We sat side by side at the trunk. The air was warm and the sky was cloudy but it was still a fine day to be outside.

“So when did it start?” she asks.

I begin thinking of lies….possible scapegoats, anything to avoid talking to her about this.

“I don’t know what-“

She turns and looks at me with a hurt expression. I sigh and rub my head. We both know lying is fruitless.

“About seven years ago….after my mother had died.”

I can’t bring myself to look her in the eye.  She doesn’t say anything. I start plucking at the long strands of grass surrounding us.

“I’m so sorry….” She says. I shrug. I didn’t want her to pity me. At this moment I wanted to do anything, be anywhere but here, with Su Min pitying me…. It felt uncomfortable…to open up to her like this.

“How did it happen?” she  asks eventually.

I don’t say anything. I’ve never talked to anyone about my mother’s death before. Nobody’s ever cared enough….nobody’s ever wanted to listen….

“Ren…you can tell me…” She sits closer to me and takes my hand. Her palm is warm. It makes me feel comfortable yet sends tingles through my body.  It tells me that I can trust her….

I sigh and look up at the sky.

When I feel ready I begin my story. I tell her about my mom. I tell her about the tumor. I tell her about the night my father changed. I tell her about how I rejected the offers to stay with relatives or friends. I tell her about how it affected my school life, of about how I became anti social and an object of bullying. I tell her how painful it was. I tell her the tears I cried. I tell her everything. She doesn’t say a word, doesn’t utter a sound. Her thumb massages the back of my hand and she listens patiently, to everything I wanted to share. And the weird thing is…the words tumble out of my mouth easily, as if waiting for this exact moment. When I finish talking I feel a burden being lifted off of my chest….I feel….relieved….

She tightens her hold on my hand. Her head rests on my shoulder.  I look down at her. Tears stream soundlessly down her face.

“You’ve been brave for so long.” She whispers. She looks me in the eyes and smiles sadly. She slowly reaches up and kisses my cheek. Her lips and soft and cool, bringing peace and tranquility to my being.

“So long….” She stifles a sob. I wipe a strand of hair from her face and kiss her on the forehead.

“Don’t cry…it’s all in the past…”

She shakes her head. “I’ll help you Ren. I will. We’ll figure this out together, Ren.”

Her eyes carry the purest of emotions. My heart warms and flutters. I kiss her lips.

“I know.”