understandings

AfterLove

 

I opened my eyes slowly; the sun was just beginning to rise. I could feel Woohyun's tight grasp around my body, as he pressed himself against me securely - his hot breath trailing against my neck, sending a shiver down my spine and a chill in my skin. How could someone be so physically close yet so far? I pull myself out of his grip, watching as he gently stirs in his sleep.

I sit every morning in the kitchen with my coffee, it's inevitable that my thoughts will always lead to how we became this way. My mother tells me it was my fault for letting him slip away from me. The night I first suspected he was being unfaithful I called her panicked, though she said it was nobody's fault but my own. Sometimes I can't help but believe her. I did push him away I suppose.

 

"Come on, just one more push." Said the doctor with his voice laced in distraction, Woohyun squeezed my hand tightly as I took a deep breath. With the last push, the doctor's face turned, his eyes bearing grievance... Quickly he and the nurse stood up carrying something small to the other side of the room; I strained my neck in a feeble attempt to see.

Though it didn't matter, I already knew. Between the silence and Woohyun's expression, I knew something was wrong.

 

"Good-morning, you're up early." I snapped out of my thoughts as my eyes met Woohyun's gaze as he poured a coffee for himself. Sometimes when I would look at him I felt like there was an invisible black light, and when I would turn it on I could see the finger prints of the other woman all over him. I felt this way now and it made me cringe though I smiled faintly and nodded as I took another sip of my hot coffee. At one point it in time, it was easy to have conversations with him - he made me laugh until I cried. We would spend nights just staying up and talking. That was when we could hardly function away from one another. I'm used to doing my own things now; I'm used to having him not call to check up on me anymore. I'm quite used to being solo after two years of marriage.

 

Shortly after we finished our coffee's we parted ways like strangers, no words spoken. There were only two people I had ever told about the affair Woohyun was having. My mother: who strongly enforced that I stay with him despite the lack of trust in our marriage. She felt this way because Woohyun took care of me and my family; when my father became sick due to heart problems Woohyun paid for the hospital bills - "Money, fame and good looks! He will help you do well in your own career!" My mother adored Woohyun, when he announced to her that we would be having a baby she loved him even more.

 

My younger sister Haerin on the other hand despised Woohyun from day one "He doesn't have an honest face." she would complain, though she only pressured me to leave him after she had found out he was having an affair. There were several different occasions I can recall where she pleaded with me in tears to leave him; I stood up for his behaviour each time. When visiting my mother and sister a fight is always brewed against the two and their strong different points of view on our marriage that Haerin considered to be "a complete joke."

 

"Why do you love him? He clearly doesn't love you!" Haerin said defensively as she stood in the doorway watching my mother and I prepare dinner. "Haerin, don't be so rude to you Unnie." My mother scolded without looking up from her task. I remained silent, cutting a handful of carrots "He couldn't even comfort her mom, she was sad and what does he do? Cheat on her! How do you approve of that? What if I died and dad had cheated on you?" My hand jerked at her words, causing the knife to run against my index finger, I dropped it onto the floor quickly as the blood began to trail down my hand.

 

Later that day Woohyun called me asking if I could bring his wallet to the studio for him since he forgot it, he was always doing that - he was always forgetting thing or misplacing things. I hated going to the studio, though I reluctantly agreed. Going to the studio meant I would have to see his friends, I had no doubt that they knew he was cheating; and it was embarrassing to think that. I grasped his wallet tightly and nervously as I walked through the narrow hallway to the door. I was trying to think of a way that I wouldn't have to say anymore than 'hello' then throw the wallet at Woohyun and run away.

 

I knocked on the door quickly and tried to breathe at a normal pace to hide my lack of comfort. Though when the door opened it was an unfamiliar face glared at me, I was startled almost instantly. He was tall and much younger than the others; my first thought was he was somebody's brother. He pushed the door open wider inviting me in, Sungyeol and Sungjong greeted me subtly with faint smiles. "So, you must be Seo Soojin." Said the young boy as I stepped in the room, my eyes widened as I stopped abruptly - Seven pairs of eyes glared to the young boy and I in complete shock "No, I'm Nam Chaeeun" Woohyun stood to his feet and laughed nervously "This is my wife, not Myungsoo's girlfriend." He wrapped his arm around my shoulder tightly as I tried my best not to cry, Howon watched me with a depraved look on his face; I tried my best to avoid his gaze.

 

As quick as I could I loosened myself from Woohyun grasp, murmured a faint apology and rushed out the room, I knew he wouldn't follow. As soon as the door closed behind me I could feel my hot tears beginning to rush down my cheeks. To be called by the name of your husbands lover, the woman you now know that has replaced you in conversation, the woman who is slowly replacing your rightful spot in his heart.

 

Do you love her like you loved me?