You swear you didn’t mean for it to be like this?

AfterLove

 

I could hear a distant sound, as if I were asleep under water and it was being muffled by layers of waves. I couldn’t put my finger on it ‘Gee – Gee – Gee – Gee’ I sat up quickly and disoriented, my head slightly throbbing from the few drinks I had the previous night. I glanced around barely coherent as I followed the noise to the side of the bed and felt around till the noise was in my hand, I recognized it the object – It was my cell phone, flipping it open carelessly I placed to my face and fell back into bed “Yobosayo?” I answered with a slight yawn as I rubbed my head. “Like your new ring tone?” It was Boram who chirped happily as she mimicked it in the highest voice she could possibly make “Are you sleeping? Wake up I’m calling back in five minutes! We’ll go get some brunch!” And with that she hung up, I closed the phone and dropped it next to me before stretching like a cat and curling onto my side.

 

Suddenly an arm slid against hips pulling me backwards, I smiled as I turned back to face Howon “Good morning.” I whispered as I cuddled into him “Shh…” He kept his eyes closed and wrapped his arms around my shoulders comfortably. I kissed him gently as I squirmed out of his grasp and climbed on top of him, laying down to meet his eyes that were still closed. He drew words on my with his fingers, his touch made me shiver as small bumps adorned my skin “Open your eyes” I ordered playfully, he shook his head and smirked “Not a chance.” I ran my fingers against his sides, trying to find out if and where he was ticklish until my phone rang interrupting the situation I sighed as flipped open “Boram it’s barely been three minutes!” Suddenly my heart jumped as the voice on the other line wasn’t hers. “Chaeeun… Come to the hospital now, there was an accident last night.” I pulled the phone away from my head and glanced at the caller ID: ‘Dongwoo’ He never specified who was in the accident.

 

I rushed into the hospital frantically, my hand latched into Howon’s larger one. The nurse immediately approached me – clearly having recognized me from my short career that was pre-empted by my pregnancy. It was only until she shot me a nervous look that I realized I was holding onto Howon whom she obviously recognized too. Quickly I let go of his hand and directed my attention to her “Your husband is in recovery now. He has a few stitches was bruised but other then that he is fine.” She shuffled through her clipboard as I took a breath of relief “As for your sister – She is just getting out of surgery. You can see her soon though.” My eyes widened as I began to laugh trying to hide my annoyance with her “There must be a mistake.” She looked at me with narrowed eyes then back to her clipboard “Kim Haerin… sixteen year old, female? You’re listed on her contact card.” My hand immediately caught my mouth as her words physically hit me. Suddenly at the side of my vision I could see Dongwoo approaching cautiously.

 

“You need to watch out for her Chaeeun. One day your mother will be gone too, and you’ll be all each other has.” My father said as he laid on his death bed, I clenched his hand tightly and nodded. When Haerin and I were younger I didn’t treat her like I should’ve and I know for sure I wasn’t the best big sister but as I aged I became better and she became more important to me. I didn’t even entertain the thought of seeing Woohyun before seeing Haerin, so when the nurse came and told me I could see her I quickly rushed into the room. She sat with a sour look on her face as the nurse poked and prodded at her. Her arm in a sling, and her leg in a cast – her usual homely bright face was bruised and battered I couldn’t help but tear as I hugged her tightly “At least if she suffocates her, she’s already in the hospital” Howon whispered to Dongwoo who let out a small laugh. “What happened last night?” I adjusted myself on the bed and her long hair, she glanced to Dongwoo nervously, and then to me “Well… I tried to tell you I wanted to go but you were upset. After 10 minutes I asked Dongwoo if he saw you, he said no and asked why – I told him I wanted to leave and he offered to drive me home – But Woohyun ran into us as we were going to the car and told me he would drive me because it was more appropriate. Dongwoo said Woohyun was in no condition to drive and that just made him more mad – We were standing in the parking lot and he was yelling and everyone was starting to stare so, to shut him up I just got in his car… I didn’t even know he had someone else in there.” I could feel my anger starting to emerge as I took deep breaths. He had gone too far, I could take Woohyun treating me badly but for him to put my sister’s life in danger.

 

 

“Kyungmin, I’m pregnant.” I said quietly, unable to look her in the face. Kyungmin was a great agent; she always got me great jobs. She never failed to tell me that I was doing great and that my career was skyrocketing. “But – Chaeeun, I thought you didn’t want children – What about your career? The modeling, the acting?” I glared at her trying to hide my tears with a smile “I can do it later can’t I?” She smiled weakly and stood to her feet as she walked towards the window “Chaeeun, do you want a baby?” I couldn’t answer her question but I know my silence did the job. “Chaeeun… You’re only twenty-one… You have your entire life ahead of you... Does he know yet?” I shook my head and took a deep breath “You should… Get rid of it…” My eyes widened at her words, as they quickly became an option, suddenly Woohyun’s face appeared in my head as guilt melted over me making me feel slightly warm and bothered “I couldn’t do that…” She sighed and looked at me with disappointment “The bigger they come, the harder they fall.”

 

 

As quick as my feet could carry me I stomped down the long hallway towards Woohyun’s room trying to think of something to say, trying to figure out how to muster up the anger in an audible way. I ignored the weird looks I received from nurses and patients, Howon and Dongwoo trying to tell me to calm down as they quickly followed behind me. The only thing I couldn’t ignore was the feeling in my chest; the feeling like someone was blowing a large balloon up in there. That strange feeling you get when you feel like you’re in trouble or something bad is about to happen. That nervous-sick feeling. With all my strength I pushed the large door open to find Woohyun eyes staring at me widely “Yeobo…” Quickly I approached the bed, pointing at him as if he were some sort of criminal on trial and I was just asked to point out who was at fault “Don’t you dare! How can you even call me that, you have no shame do you?” I screamed loudly, his eyes slowly averted from me to his lap “I’m sorry. I really am, you must understand...” I took a deep breath trying to hold in my frustration it was then when I turned I noticed her: Seo Soojin, standing nervously on the sidelines looking as if she didn’t know if she should to sneak out or not. For a second, taken back I glanced to see Dongwoo and Howon who also just noticed her, my lip trembled for a moment as I looked to Woohyun then to Howon and Dongwoo then back to Soojin. I was speechless. Her face was slightly cut and bruised, she couldn’t look at me but she looked like she was going to speak but Woohyun cut her off “Chaeeun, this – this is a friend of mine. Seo Soojin.” I glared at him coldly, and then to her who slowly bowed.

 

 

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE WHO HAS READ SO FAR :) I THINK THAT THIS CHAPTER WILL BE THE SECOND LAST CHAPTER, AND I MAY BE WRITING A SEQUEL