once I wanted to be the greatest,

AfterLove

It was a Wednesday or Thursday in early September, quite close to Haerin’s birthday which meant I owed her lunch and a birthday present of her choice. Though she is rude and inconsiderate, she is still my sister whom I love dearly. We wandered around the city the entire day, she told me about school, boys, how she was doing living at home with mom.

I had to give her credit for trying her best to ask about Woohyun in a manner that didn’t consist of screaming in the middle of the street “Is he still…?” I nodded faintly as we entered a small popular boutique in Apgujeong, she left out a soft sigh as she tried her best to contain her anger “Why Unnie? You could do so much better… You know, you and Dongwoo made a very cute couple. Do you remember that?” I smiled as I glanced through a rack of overpriced colorful dresses “Yes, and we’re just friends now. We’ve been that way for three years Haerin.” I reminded kindly as I picked out a dress for her to try on “Actually, you and Woohyun got married after six months and you haven’t even had your second anniversary yet. So really it’s been two years and like ten months!” She corrected feeling quite proud of herself; she quickly snatched the dress and dragged me to the dressing room.

 

Haerin often reminded me about the days Dongwoo and I were together “Don’t you miss them?” She would prod incessantly. Dongwoo and I – Where to begin about those days, it was probably the fact we were so compatible which lead to our downfall, it consumed us inside out. We couldn’t love each other properly – we were always too afraid to risk our friendship. It was him who introduced me to Woohyun “I know you well - you’ll really like him.” He was right, I really did like him.

 

“Unnie, this dress… it’s too small – Could you get me a bigger size?” I couldn’t help but laugh at the way she had said it, nervous in front of her own sister. ‘You’re so thin; you can’t blame me for being self-conscious!’ I think that’s what made me really appreciate Haerin even though she could be so mean - I knew deep down she was vulnerable like the rest of the world. As I distractedly tried to fit the dress back onto the hanger I approached the petite woman who was managing the dressing room “Can I help you?” She asked, her attention also elsewhere “Can I get this in the next size up?” and just as I had glanced up to pass her the dress – Her name tag caught my attention ‘Seo Soojin.’

 

Unwillingly the dress fumbled in my hands, falling to the ground – She reached for it before looking at me for the first time, her eyes slightly widening. She was shorter than me by at least an inch or two, both of us standing in heels. Her hair was shorter than mine, her eyes a dark brown – not hazel like my own. We were different in so many ways physically. Our hair color, our body type, style, but it still remained the same - we had one thing in common: Woohyun.

 

 

“What’s your greatest fear? Be honest.” I linked your arm tightly as we walked throughout the dimly lit park, you didn’t even pause and think about your answer for a moment “To be without you of course.” I narrowed my eyes on you and pursed my lips curiously “Only me right?” you nodded quickly as your wrapped your arms around my shoulders “Really? That means you can only look at me.” You smiled as your pushed a long strand of hair our of my face “You’re the best view, so it’s okay.”

 

 

I leaned against the car biting my finger nails nervously, trying my best to contain my emotions until I could express them openly. Howon opened his door rubbing his eyes tiredly as he stepped outside “What’s the matter? It’s late.” He tied his robe around himself as he leaned next to me letting out a loud yawn. “I saw her today.” I mumbled as I nibbled on my index finger aggressively “Who did you see?” I turned to him annoyed as I pulled my finger out of my mouth “Her! Seo Soojin!” He ran his fingers through his hair carelessly and shook his head “Well, what happened?” I shrugged and went back to chewing my nails “I don’t know; nothing? I didn’t say anything” He was tired but listened anyway, though I didn’t even say all that much. “How many cups of coffee have you had?” I turned to him with a frown and shrugged once more “I don’t know.”

 

During the next few days after the encounter I had found myself going to a late lunch with Woohyun. I figured ‘Seo Soojin’ had told him she had seen me. Woohyun probably didn’t want a sealed fate like Ok Sori; he tried his best to make stimulating conversation just in case I was aware. I glared out the window of the restaurant, watching the people as they walked by – wondering where they were going, and what their life stories may have been. Sometimes I would make them up, to feel better about my own. Suddenly in the air a large plane drew a soft fluffy line across the bright blue sky, it caught my attention almost instantly, making me feel a rush of nostalgia or at least a warm feeling I couldn’t describe, I glanced over to Woohyun who searched through his menu diligently. I sighed gravely, I knew he wouldn’t understand the simple beauty of it, he was far to complex. For a moment I thought about telling Howon, I knew even if he didn’t understand he would try his best to comprehend my words without calling me silly and brushing me off.

 

“I’m sorry I’m so busy with work lately. Have you been well?” I glanced away from the line to meet your gaze, you leaned towards me balancing your head on your hand lazily, to an outsider; I’m sure you looked forced and fake, as if you were reading from a script. When I was younger I had the complete mindset that I wanted to be an actress, my father and I would constantly watch movies together and he would tell me the technical things about them – he had used to be a director. “There was a book, that was once made into a movie” He slurred as he leaned into his chair “These two amazing actors were made to portray this couple that was in love, though they couldn’t pull it off well and it ruined the entire movie – they had no chemistry, you could tell. To be a good actor, you need to have good chemistry with whomever you’re working with. If there is not even the smallest real connection, it falls to pieces.” though even at the amount of alcohol my father had taken in as he told me this, I knew he knew what he was talking about.

 

“I’ve been fine.” I smiled faintly before returning my attention back to the white line across the sky that had now faded out sparsely into the sky; I really wish I could’ve told Howon about it. It was only until you had called my name a third time that I noticed the small blue box on the table ‘Just because’ you say with a smile as you clasp the bracelet around my wrist. I hate wearing jewellery.

 

______________________________

just in case you guys don't know who Ok Sori is, she's an actress who was sent to jail for cheating on her husband.

adultery is illegal in Korea, but that's only if your spouse chooses to press charges against you. (maximum conviction is two years.)