Fruit de la passion

éclair

The party venue was farther from Seoul than Baekhyun had imagined. It was almost an hour outside the city, which meant an hour stuck in the car with Do Kyungsoo and his fragrance wafting through every corner of the vehicle.

He looked stunning in that suit, of course. But more than that, it was the emphasis on his hair, which was no longer completely bald, allowing for a small but powerful tuft. A small and powerful tuft. He looked like he stepped out of a fashion magazine, just as his best friend loved to appear.

It wouldn't be a good night for Baekhyun.

The car was parked, and Kyungsoo's fingers were still tense on the steering wheel. He looked ahead as if he wasn't paying attention to anything else. That was when Baekhyun remembered the other day in the pantry, holding him in his arms after the panic attack.

He must suffer from this.

Looking at him, Byun gathered the courage to bring his fingers closer to his. Kyungsoo flinched, startled. He didn't expect that, that much was clear. But Baekhyun wanted to convey whatever comfort he could, so he wouldn't back off.

"Are you okay?" he asked softly, almost like a secret.

Kyungsoo looked directly into his eyes. They were so dark. The pastry chef would never get used to their depth. He swore he could drown in those abyss-like eyes.

The chef tightened his grip on his fingers, turning his body towards him.

"Baekkie..." he whispered, his voice slightly hoarse.

"Yes?"

"I... maybe I need to tell you. About my family." The redhead waited, keeping his calm.

He wanted Kyungsoo to know that nothing would make him pull away; he would be there for him if he needed it. He needed to make sure he knew that.

"I'm prepared for whatever comes. I know you're nervous, but everything will be okay." The dark-haired man didn't say anything for a while, just looking at him the same way.

He turned back to the front but still didn't let go of his hands. Baekhyun hadn't expected him to do that either.

"I'm really trying," he mumbled.

Baekhyun nodded.

"I know you are." The dark-haired man chuckled softly.

"You've been through this too, right?" he asked curiously.

"Yes, I have." Another silence.

This time it was a bit too long. He didn't think the other would speak so soon, but then the deep voice started whispering by his left side.

"It wasn't easy at first. I was a child, so I didn't quite understand why my father rejected me." Baekhyun fully focused on that moment. Kyungsoo was talking, and that was rare. Especially because he knew the chef shouldn't have told that to many people; he felt honored. "But then it was just a matter of time until I got used to it. They don't know, though. I don't think they suspect anything." He murmured, looking exhausted.

"What don't they know?" Kyungsoo turned to him, breaking the contact with Byun's hands this time.

He took a breath before continuing.

"I... I was treated well as a child. Mom and Dad loved going out with me, just the three of us, to have a dessert or two at that place I took you to that one time." Baekhyun smiled. He remembered Kyungsoo mentioning that before, but he thought it was just a nostalgic moment. He never thought it was so important to him. "But... something changed a while ago." Kyungsoo was serious now, not sure how to proceed. He gave a weak smile. "Wah, this is so embarrassing."

"It's okay. Go on." Do looked at him again, seemingly searching for sincerity in his request.

Deciding that he wasn't being a bother, he tried to continue.

"It's just... it's still a bit difficult for me. Dealing with the memories. Especially because I'm still very confused." The whisper was like a confession that seemed to have been meant for himself but slipped through his lips.

Baekhyun knew he couldn't demand anything from the guy, but he thought that continuing the conversation would comfort him. And, he wouldn't lie, it was also a way to get to know him better.

"About what?"

"Ab-about me." He murmured.

"What confuses you?"

"I... I..." He turned his profound gaze to Baekhyun's.

They seemed to say more than his own lips. Baekhyun was relaxed, but he felt that the atmosphere inside the closed car was no longer the same. There was a sense of urgency, bordering on the line that separated the scene from the crime. The crime that it would be if Baekhyun placed his hands on the chef.

Kyungsoo just smiled faintly, turning to the backseat of the car. He returned with an expensive-looking wine box in his hands. The redhead didn't even dare touch it, afraid it might explode if touched by someone extremely rich.

He was being a bit paranoid.

"I think we're ready to go now." Even though he said that, Kyungsoo didn't dare leave the car.

Baekhyun understood that he wouldn't talk about it anymore that night, but he also understood that he didn't need to. They had all the time in the world, so there was no need to rush. Therefore, Baekhyun took the initiative, stepping out of the passenger side and walking to his door, which was opened soon after.

He extended his slender hand with a rectangular smile on his face.

"Come on." Just one word, but with a lot of meaning.

He thought the chef had understood the message, as he gave a small grateful smile, accepting his hand willingly. They walked together to the party entrance as good friends should.

Or at least as they thought they were.


 

 

The party entrance was more than the pastry chef could imagine in any of his dreams. Lights were everywhere, and flowers adorned the large house like something out of a fairytale. Baekhyun realized that Yuri must be a very romantic person.

The house was spacious, with the entire yard illuminated and tables decorated throughout its length. Everything seemed magical and well-organized. The redhead tried to take it all in with his small eyes, not missing any details.

"I bet it's a sneak peek of the wedding; they usually do such things," Kyungsoo spoke softly, so only Baekhyun could hear him.

They had already passed through the entrance, leaving the wine as a gift for the hosts who were preparing the party. Kyungsoo didn't take long with the registration and identity check and was soon by Baekhyun's side, looking concerned.

"Are you okay, Baekkie?" The redhead just smiled, feeling affected.

"I am. It's just... wow, it's quite overwhelming for me." He felt like he was in a completely parallel world.

Although he was used to the luxurious status of Dyo's, the appearance here was so friendly and cozy that he forgot he worked in a high-end restaurant.

Well, now it would be hard not to remember.

"Don't worry about it. We're not here for them; just enjoy the party." Enjoy the party?

Ah.

Could he do that without freaking out or embarrassing himself? He had no idea.

"Alright, chef." The bald man approached with a smile, placing a hand on Baekhyun's lower back.

Oh, this wasn't going to work out very well.

"Come on, Byun. Get your feet off this entrance." Baekhyun laughed as they walked inside the house. He didn't expect the deep voice to speak again, but Kyungsoo leaned close to his ear for a few seconds: "And it's Kyungsoo, you know that." Baekhyun swallowed nervously.

Yes, unfortunately, he knew that all too well.

The hall was enormous.

Really huge.

The indoor lights were a bit cozier than the ones outside. The decoration had a somewhat romantic, yet slightly sensual vibe. The lighting contributed a lot to that atmosphere.

Baekhyun noticed that there were several tables around, in addition to a huge table decorated with sweets. Ah, that made him happy. He was already heading there when someone grabbed his wrist.

"Hey, little ant." The redhead widened his eyes.

Kyungsoo had never called him that before.

"W-what?" Kyungsoo smiled his heart-shaped smile.

Suddenly, the world found peace again, Baekhyun was sure of it. The smile was so genuine and bright that it felt like an arrow straight to his heart.

"Let's greet the newlyweds first, then we can check out the sweets. Actually, I'm excited for that too." He was right; he was being impolite.

"Sorry, chef. Force of habit." The other agreed but gave him a reproachful look.

"Kyungsoo. Today I'm not your chef, Baekkie. Try to relax." He didn't have to remind him all the time, but Baekhyun thought it might be important to him.

"Force of habit." Kyungsoo smiled again, but this time differently.

"We'll have to break some of your habits." Was he joking?

Baekhyun laughed at the sight of Kyungsoo being sarcastic. He really wasn't expecting that.

"Okay. You win." He smiled while still guiding him with his hand on his lower back.

Both made their way to the center of the hall, where several people were gathered. Of course, Baekhyun didn't know anyone, so he smiled awkwardly at everyone while Kyungsoo greeted them and introduced him as "My pastry chef." Can you believe it? Inventing job titles for this bunch of pretentious rich people? Kyungsoo had no limits!

Just as Baekhyun thought the pretense and the hastily-created professionalism were finally over, Yuri appeared. She looked radiant in her silver dress adorned with glitters. She was accompanied by a girl who could pass for her daughter, as they had practically the same haircut.

"Hello, my dears! I'm glad you came!" Kyungsoo, who had been smiling at everyone before, froze beside the pastry chef, not saying a word.

The other girl smiled mockingly as she made a bow to the bald man.

"Hello, Kyungsoo Oppa. It's been a while since I saw you." Kyungsoo's hand on Baekhyun's lower back moved directly to a fist-shaped pocket.

The short guy seemed so nervous, in a way that Baekhyun had never seen before.

"Mina..." It was all he could say.

"Ah, yes! Mina will be my maid of honor." The girl smiled lovingly at Yuri, and Baekhyun thought it looked sincere.

But the way Kyungsoo was looking at her could very well mean that he wanted to stab her. The pastry chef started to get worried.

"Uh... I'll..." Baekhyun gestured as if he was going to leave.

There was no way he was going to stay in the middle of that family drama. He had enough of his own family to deal with.

But he didn't expect what was to come.

In a reflex, Do moved his hand directly to Baekhyun's wrist, holding him in place.

"Where are you going?" He seemed to be asking him not to freak out.

It wasn't that Baekhyun was freaking out (well, maybe a little), but he didn't want to be caught in the middle of family drama. His own family was enough to deal with.

"To the bathroom...?" He didn't know why he was asking.

"I'll take you. I know where it is; I arranged everything there myself." Mina spoke up, but Kyungsoo had already taken charge of the situation.

"Okay, I'll take him. Let's go." Without giving him a chance to reply, Kyungsoo marched confidently in the direction he thought the bathroom was.

Or at least that's what Baekhyun thought.

A few maneuvers through the crowd later, they found themselves in a somewhat secluded area at the back of the yard. There were some decorations with wood and vines, all nicely arranged for the party. The lights were cozy, making Baekhyun's eyes half-moon shaped.

Kyungsoo just walked closer to the fence separating the rest of the yard from the party. He seemed nervous, like the day he punched a bag in the pantry.

The redhead just hoped he wouldn't become the punching bag this time.

"I can't believe this. I can't believe it, damn it!"

"W-what's happening?" Do sighed, leaning his back against Baekhyun.

Why the hell was he squatting down?

"Kyungsoo... are you okay?" The little one ran his hands through his hair again, trying to catch his breath.

"Maybe it's a crisis, I don't know... I really hoped I'd never see her again."

"Mina?"

"Yes." Baekhyun didn't know what to say.

She must be one of those annoying socialites who never left him alone. He really hated those rich people. They thought everything revolved around green bricks, they were terrible.

Unfortunately, he worked for all of them.

The redhead approached, extending his hand so that the taller man would get up. Which he did, with a little difficulty.

Baekhyun put his hand on Kyungsoo's shoulders after pulling him into an awkward hug. He didn't want his crisis to get worse. Or whatever it was he was going through.

"Don't worry, Soo. I'm here." The other agreed with a nod, right beside his head.

"It's just that... I know my father is behind this. I'm sure of it. He hasn't given up on the idea of turning me into his pawn on the chessboard." He whispered.

Ah... so he had understood everything.

"Is she your fiancée?" Kyungsoo stepped back immediately, disgusted.

"What? For God's sake, Baekkie. No! Not even by a decree!"

"But she will be... or at least they want her to be."

"Yes... all for the sake of uniting the companies. In fact..." This time he looked at Baekhyun, a little nervous. "Mina and I dated for a while." Baekhyun widened his eyes.

"Seriously?"

"Oh, why? Don't I seem dateable?" He was joking, but what almost slipped out of the pastry chef's mouth was, "No!"

"N-no, it's not that..." The other smiled.

"It wasn't a real relationship; it was pretend. She didn't like me, and I didn't like her either. In fact, I can't stand her, if you want to know..." Baekhyun suspected that Kyungsoo didn't like many people in general, but he let it go.

"And for how long was that?"

"A long three years. Almost my time in high school." He tried not to look as shocked as he felt.

Three years was a long time for a relationship. He himself had never managed to maintain his for more than a few months, so that was pretty impressive, considering they didn't even like each other. Or did they?

"Are you sure she doesn't like you?" Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows.

"Of course. Why?"

"Because I don't think she would come to a party, knowing the pressure about the wedding, if she didn't like you." Kyungsoo laughed, finding it amusing.

"Impossible, Baekkie. You're being naive." He seriously doubted it.

"I think maybe you're the naive one." Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow.

"Are you giving me a lecture?" The redhead laughed.

"Don't be ridiculous; I'm just warning you. It makes sense if you think about it."

"What? That she's in love with me?" Kyungsoo laughed, incredulous. "Baekkie... she made my life a living hell. She tried to make me one of them at all costs, and she even..." This time he stopped, catching Baekhyun's attention.

"And what else?" Kyungsoo looked at him, a bit nervous. "What else did she do?"

"To talk to me... inappropriately." Bingo.

"Well, can you blame her?" He asked innocently, not realizing what he had just implied.

Baekhyun widened his eyes as Do just smiled softly at him.

"What do you mean...?"

"Y-you see... uhm, think about it... you're a catch, right? I mean... you have your own business. You're hardworking, know how to balance personal relationships, and you always believe in the potential of others. You're also fun, and... I see how you take care of Mr. Park. You're a good person, Kyungsoo, don't let them make you believe otherwise." 'And you also have a marvelous , so of course she would hit on you!', was what Baekhyun dared not say.

Kyungsoo crossed his arms, losing some of the playfulness in front of the compliments. He seemed extremely shy. The redhead noticed that his ears were turning slightly red.

Oh, Baekhyun really wanted to pinch him.

"If you say so..." He whispered again.

Baekhyun wouldn't lie; he loved this trait of Kyungsoo's. Every time the chef seemed to want to talk only to him, he would whisper softly so that only the redhead could hear. It was a form of communication between the two that he appreciated.

"Of course! I also bet she went crazy when she saw you all bald, looking like Vin Diesel." Kyungsoo gave his famous heart-shaped smile.

The hand involuntarily went to his hair, which was now much longer than before, supporting even a small tuft. But, of course, Baekhyun couldn't miss the opportunity to .

"I think maybe I should let it grow." The bald man shook his head.

"I think you're talking nonsense."

"Does it look good this way?" He asked, genuinely curious.

Byun smiled broadly. His innocence often surfaced without warning.

"Yes, yes. It does, chef." Do smiled shyly.

"Alright. I'll remember to book a salon this week." Baekhyun just laughed in response.

"What are you doing here?" Both jumped in surprise at the deep, drawn-out voice that appeared before them.

When Baekhyun turned around, he realized it was just Park Chanyeol.

"Chanyeol! Do you want to scare me to death?" Kyungsoo was redder than the pastry chef's hair.

He didn't quite understand why; they weren't doing anything wrong.

"They're looking for you two. Apparently, someone got interested in one of the desserts from this guy." Park pointed to Baekhyun with his head, smiling widely, showing all his teeth.

Baekhyun froze in place. There was no way he was going to have to deal with customers at that moment; he wasn't at all prepared for it.

"First, we need to analyze the samples you brought from the restaurant. Tell the person we'll meet them soon."

"Alright, Kyungja." Baekhyun smiled at the nickname, but Park didn't seem too happy to notice that.

He frowned at the shorter man, who was completely oblivious.

"Chanyeol, cut it out!" Kyungsoo scolded, catching his attention.

Park pouted slightly before leaving.

"For God's sake, sometimes he acts like a child."

"Do you think I did something wrong?" Baekhyun was always afraid of messing things up; he was a bit famous for that.

"No, Baekkie. Chanyeol is just a natural-born jealous person."

"I see..." Kyungsoo was looking at him with a certain intensity.

"If you want, you don't have to accompany me. I know you don't like all this... I don't either. But..." He paused, looking at his feet as if it were difficult to continue what he wanted to say. "I really wanted to thank you for coming. I feel better with you here." The redhead didn't say anything for a while.

He knew it was important to Kyungsoo. He had gathered from the context that the chef probably didn't feel comfortable in his own family. But he didn't imagine that his presence could change anything.

Kyungsoo seemed to get more nervous with each passing second that Baekhyun remained silent, so he put on a playful smile.

"Aigoo, Ajuhssi. You don't have to thank me. Come on, let's close some deals." The other agreed with a nod and a shy smile.

Do led the way, walking with determination towards the hall. The pastry chef, on the other hand, just prayed that the universe wouldn't conspire against his heart. It was already hard enough to deceive his carnal desires for the little Satan, and if things started to mix, he knew he couldn't ignore them.

Baekhyun had always been foolish when in love. He would give his heart entirely, with all the intensity he could offer. But it wasn't always reciprocated. This time, he wasn't willing to pay to find out.



 

Both followed to the table decorated with the most diverse sweets one could imagine. Some he had made himself, others were the work of Park Sooyoung. The girl was talented, so he wasn't surprised to see that everything was impeccable.

"Sooyoung did well here," Kyungsoo said in a low voice.

Baekhyun looked at the sweets being served on the table.

He had no idea why he was expecting a good, filled chocolate éclair, maybe just because it was his favorite sweet of his whole life.

The chef also seemed to have noticed something in the display, as he twisted his lips in a way that only Byun could see, being so close to him.

"I was really expecting a walnut éclair. I thought I had told Sooyoung to make it," Kyungsoo whispered in his ear so others couldn't hear.

Baekhyun, however, was quite surprised. Shocked, actually.

What was he saying?

"You asked for the éclair? Why?" The chef frowned in confusion.

"It's a good dessert for weddings." Ah, right.

What an idiot.

For a moment, the redhead thought that Kyungsoo might be considering his personal taste. It was clear he couldn't know it was his favorite sweet; they had never talked about it before. The bald man wasn't a mind reader.

"And besides..." Kyungsoo gave a childish smile, forming a heart shape with his hands. "It's my favorite sweet."

Now, he was truly surprised.

How the hell could that happen?

"A-are you serious?" He couldn't even hide the surprise in his tone. "Because it's mine too!" Kyungsoo widened his smile, slightly happy.

"I guess that means something, Baekkie." The redhead fell silent.

What did he mean by that?

It didn't mean anything! It was just a simple coincidence. It had nothing to do with the moon or any nonsense his friend Irene loved to invent. Not at all!

"You have to make an éclair for me. I'm summoning you to do it." Baekhyun laughed softly.

It would be comical if it weren't tragic.

"You see, chef... I have absolutely no idea how to make one."

"What do you mean? I'm sure your éclair is the best in the whole world!"

"Ah... definitely not." The shorter man laughed again. "It's the only dessert I can't make." Kyungsoo paused.

"Really?" He asked playfully.

"Yes. Unfortunately, my favorite sweet is the only one I can't make." That was frustrating, more than he'd like to admit.

Baekhyun didn't handle the weight of failure well. It was his biggest struggle in the world, accepting that he made a colossal mistake. Being quite proud, he rarely swallowed the things that happened to him.

But that was something he had simply given up.

He wouldn't spend his life trying something he wasn't born to do.

"Well, no one is perfect, right?" He tried to play it off, but he was upset.

First, because he had to admit his incompetence to the chef himself. And second, because, damn it, he just wanted to be able to eat an éclair whenever he wanted!

"I guess so..." Kyungsoo looked a little confused. "But... have you tried? I mean... now? Or at other times during your career?" The redhead awkwardly laughed.

Had he tried? He could practically open his own franchise with éclair stores all over the world just with the number of failed desserts.

It was painful to see how much money had gone to waste.

"Yes, I've tried. Many, many times. Sehun almost killed me because I made him eat so many bad éclairs." Do furrowed his brow.

"That... can't be possible."

"I assure you, chef."

"I need proof." Baekhyun crossed his arms in challenge.

"Don't you believe me, Do Kyungsoo? Is this a challenge?" The taller man looked amused.

"You can bet it is!" Baekhyun extended his hand.

"So let's make a deal. I bet you I can't make the damn éclair, and then you'll have to give me a day off." The other agreed with a nod, smiling broadly.

"And if I win?"

"Well, in that case, you can choose the prize or punishment, I don't know. It doesn't matter much, because I already know I'm going to win." Kyungsoo approached, taking the pastry chef's left hand to shake it.

"We'll see about that." The smile he gave suggested the chef was counting on victory.

Which wouldn't be a reality. Baekhyun was already planning what he would do with his day off when he reappeared.

He must be looking to disrupt their atmosphere because he was accompanied by someone. A woman who wore a dress entirely covered with stones and jewels. Definitely very rich.

"Excuse me, gentlemen. This beautiful lady is looking for business." The lady laughed, with her arms wrapped around Chanyeol's.

She must be hopeful of getting a piece of the tallest guy, as he looked more like a magazine model in the dark, well-tailored suit.

Baekhyun made a bow, soon followed by Kyungsoo. The lady smiled more.

"So, who's the golden pastry chef?" Baekhyun smiled faintly at the nervousness.

"It's him, Mrs. Young." Park pointed to him with a nod. "Byun Baekhyun." The redhead made another bow.

His back would be burning by the end of the night.

"Good evening, Mrs. Young. It's a pleasure."

"The pleasure is all mine, dear. You are truly a dedicated young man." The woman looked him up and down, making his cheeks blush.

He was dying of embarrassment.

Park looked at the clock, and then back at Baekhyun with a desperate look. Or not. The thing is, his eyes were always so wide that the redhead couldn't tell.

"B-Baekhyun... are you... uh, coming with me? I need your help." Kyungsoo, who had been quiet until now, frowned at his best friend.

"What do you want with him?" Park looked annoyed at the smaller man.

"Our business. Let's go, Byun." The guy just followed with determined steps to a more isolated area.

It looked like some kind of smoking area. What the hell were they going to do there?

The redhead just made a polite bow and was about to follow Park when he felt a hand grabbing his wrist.

Would it be like this all night long?

Kyungsoo was looking at him with such intensity that his black eyes seemed to burn him. He leaned closer to Baekhyun's ear so the woman couldn't hear him.

Baekhyun was trying hard to keep his composure.

"Don't let him bother you, Baekkie. I have no idea what Chanyeol wants with you, but don't hesitate to call me if you need to, okay?" The redhead nodded, then took the same path Chanyeol had taken before.

When he opened the door, he noticed that Park was pacing back and forth impatiently. He didn't even notice his presence there.

"Park... what the hell are you doing?" Oh, what a tongue Byun.

He really had to learn how to behave.

"Lower your voice, Baek." Huh?

He had never been called that way before.

"What's going on?" Park swallowed hard.

"I need you to do me a favor." His behavior was very strange, but Baekhyun decided to just go along.

"Alright." His suspicion didn't go unnoticed by the taller man.

Chanyeol sighed, running his hands through his comma-shaped hair. He was a pretty handsome guy, he couldn't deny it. He could totally see why Minseok had been so into him all these three years.

Byun thought he looked like a warrior now.

"Tell Kyungsoo that I had to leave, but don't let him see me." Baekhyun smiled wide.

"Running away, huh? That's not nice, Park." Chanyeol took a deep breath.

"Listen... tell Kyungsoo that I had an emergency, okay?" As if Kyungsoo would fall for that.

Chanyeol should know his friend better.

"Emergency? What kind?"

"It doesn't matter, just tell him that. And don't spread it around, please." That made Baekhyun angry.

"I won't hide anything for you unless it's a good reason. I can't lie to him in your name." Chanyeol stepped back, surprised.

"Oh... okay. Fine..." He raised his hands in redemption. "But you need to help me. Understand? I can't do this alone. There are too many people here." Byun crossed his arms.

"First, you'll have to tell me where you're going." Baekhyun didn't want to be irritated, but he already was. "I thought you wanted my help..." Well, that was ugly, very ugly.

Blackmail was the lowest blow anyone could give. But worse than that, it was the pain of a deceived heart.

Baekhyun had been in that position before. He had already been with straight guys, hiding around just to be treated as a ual object. He would never allow his friend to go through the same thing.

He doubted Minseok would subject himself to it either, but Baekhyun wasn't willing to contribute.

"I'm... going to see someone." Baekhyun pursed his lips.

"Your girlfriend?" The sarcasm was still in his voice, but this time he didn't care.

He would go to the end to clarify that story.

Baekhyun just made a polite bow and was about to follow Park when he felt a hand grabbing his wrist.

Would it be like this all night?

Kyungsoo was looking at him with such intensity that his black eyes seemed to burn him. He leaned closer to Baekhyun's ear so the woman couldn't hear him.

Baekhyun was trying hard to keep his composure.

"Don't let him bother you, Baekkie. I have no idea what Chanyeol wants with you, but don't hesitate to call me if you need to, okay?" The redhead nodded, then took the same path Chanyeol had taken before.

When he opened the door, he noticed that Park was pacing back and forth impatiently. He didn't even notice his presence there.

"Park... what the hell are you doing?" Oh, what a tongue Byun.

He really had to learn how to behave.

"Lower your voice, Baek." Huh?

He had never been called that way before.

"What's going on?" Park swallowed hard.

"I need you to do me a favor." His behavior was very strange, but Baekhyun decided to just go along.

"Alright." His suspicion didn't go unnoticed by the taller man.

Chanyeol sighed, running his hands through his comma-shaped hair. He was a pretty handsome guy, he couldn't deny it. He could totally see why Minseok had been so into him all these three years.

Byun thought he looked like a warrior now.

"Tell Kyungsoo that I had to leave, but don't let him see me." Baekhyun smiled wide.

"Running away, huh? That's not nice, Park." Chanyeol took a deep breath.

"Listen... tell Kyungsoo that I had an emergency, okay?" As if Kyungsoo would fall for that.

Chanyeol should know his friend better.

"Emergency? What kind?"

"It doesn't matter, just tell him that. And don't spread it around, please." That made Baekhyun angry.

"I won't hide anything for you unless it's a good reason. I can't lie to him in your name." Chanyeol stepped back, surprised.

"Oh... okay. Fine..." He raised his hands in redemption. "But you need to help me. Understand? I can't do this alone. There are too many people here." Byun crossed his arms.

"First, you'll have to tell me where you're going." Baekhyun didn't want to be irritated, but he already was. "I thought you wanted my help..." Well, that was ugly, very ugly.

Blackmail was the lowest blow anyone could give. But worse than that, it was the pain of a deceived heart.

Baekhyun had been in that position before. He had already been with straight guys, hiding around just to be treated as a ual object. He would never allow his friend to go through the same thing.

He doubted Minseok would subject himself to it either, but Baekhyun wasn't willing to contribute.

"I'm... going to see someone." Baekhyun pursed his lips.

"Your girlfriend?" The sarcasm was still in his voice, but this time he didn't care.

He would go to the end to clarify that story.

"I'm... going to see someone." Baekhyun pursed his lips.

"Your girlfriend?" The sarcasm was still in his voice, but this time he didn't care.

He would go to the end to clarify that story.

"Baekhyun... please..."

"Look, I thought you wanted my help..." That was ugly, very ugly.

Chanyeol just put his big hands on his face. He seemed... embarrassed?

God...

"I-I'm going to... see someone." Baekhyun grimaced.

"Your girlfriend?" The sarcasm was still there, but he didn't care.

He was determined to get to the bottom of this.

"Baekhyun, please..."

"Look, I thought you wanted my help..." That was ugly, very ugly.

Chanyeol just put his big hands on his face. He seemed... embarrassed?

God...

"I-I'm going to... see someone." Baekhyun grimaced.

"Your girlfriend?" The sarcasm was still there, but he didn't care.

He was determined to get to the bottom of this.

"Y-yes." That was his response, happily.

Baekhyun was in shock.

Did Minseok know about this and hadn't told him? Had they worked things out while he was gone? So many questions...

"Alright then. I'll help you." The tall man smiled as he searched for keys in his jacket, as if he were in a hurry.

And maybe he really was.

"Just cover for me, okay? You don't have to say anything. Listen, Kyungsoo must be looking for you. So go there, distract him for me, and I'll leave without any commotion. Deal?" He was really shameless.

"Alright." Chanyeol smiled broadly, pulling the smaller man into a surprise hug.

"You don't know how much you're helping me, Baek. I promise I'll make it up to you at the restaurant. I'll help you take a day off or something, I don't know." Baekhyun wasn't doing it for him, but he didn't complain.

If he could take a day off, he wouldn't hesitate.

"No problem, Park. Now if you'll excuse me..." The other agreed, stepping away.

"Leave first, then I'll go."

"Okay... good luck." Chanyeol smiled gratefully.

Whatever Minseok was up to that night, he better compensate him for being his hero. It would be good if the bartender took that into account when he opened his own bar. He would have to give Baekhyun a lot of free snacks as a thank you for years to come.

He walked back to the table, and noticed that Park was right. Kyungsoo was looking for him like a madman, even crouching down on the tables to find something that might indicate where he was seated. And what a crouch! Baekhyun could only admire the other's ability to bend his knees, showing off his round in those tight pants.

Once again, the image of those boxers filled his mind like chimney smoke.

As soon as he approached, he couldn't help but chuckle, betraying his arrival. Kyungsoo turned to him, surprised and relieved at the same time.

"Baekkie! Where have you been? I've been looking for you everywhere. I thought Chanyeol had already let you go." He couldn't tell the truth, so he lied.

"Uh... I, uh, went to the bathroom." Kyungsoo frowned.

Damn it, he knew he couldn't lie. Kyungsoo was the master of suspicion.

"And why did you come from the opposite direction?" he asked, already probing his lie.

"Because I had already left the bathroom, so I went... to see the rest of the decorations." The brunette wasn't buying his lie, but decided to let it go.

"Managed to get us another client. Mrs. Young hired us for a charity event. I hope you like heights, because it's going to be on a rooftop." Wait a minute...

"What?" Oh, he couldn't be angry. But he was getting there. "You didn't ask me again?" Kyungsoo widened his eyes, frightened.

"Baekkie... I can't do this all the time. You know businesses are..."

"It's entirely my responsibility! I can't believe it, Kyungsoo! I already told you about this!"

"Baekkie..." he whispered.

Oh, this code wouldn't work.

Baekhyun stepped back, leaving him behind.

He went to the drink table, trying to clear his mind a bit.

His insecurity was going to ruin him, he was fully aware of that. It was very hard for him to believe in himself and face the challenges life gave him. Some called it self-sabotage, Byun just called it stupidity.

But he got extremely nervous at the thought of making a mistake that could lead him to failure. Because he hated that feeling: of not being enough.

He was looking for something strong to drink when he came across her: Miyou Mina, supposedly his boss's fiancée.

The girl had a smile on her face, as if she were making some evil plans in her diabolical mind. And Baekhyun thought she probably was. She gave him a nod, even somewhat sympathetic for the snake she was.

Baekhyun was leaving the place when she started talking.

"Are you the pastry chef, right? The one who made all the desserts?" As he didn't know if it was a business opportunity or not, he forced a fake smile at the girl.

"Yes, yes, that's me."

"Ah, pleasure to meet you. I'm Mina. From Myou Corporation." Well, he had no idea what that company was, but he smiled and nodded.

"Sure. Nice to meet you, Mina. I'm Byun Baekhyun."

"Ah, I know that." The girl smiled broadly. "You know, I've been watching you all night. Are you together with Kyungsoo?" What?

What a little...

"Oh, no. I'm his employee." He thought it best to make that clear, as there could be people listening.

"Sure." The girl pointed to the suit he was wearing. "But you're wearing one of the suits of the waiters who are serving us." Baekhyun felt his body stiffen.

Yes, he was wearing one of the same suits that the waiters were wearing. Because it was the same one from the catering. As he didn't know if it was a smart comment or not, he forced a fake smile at the girl.

"It's just a coincidence, Mina." She smiled, staring at the dark fabric.

"But it's also a fact, Byun. You have to accept it. You're no different from those people over there." He felt the anger grow inside him, but decided to control himself.

"Do you need something else, Mina?" She smiled, holding her drink.

"I just want to get to know the person who serves my future husband." The little snake smirked.

"He's not your future husband." Baekhyun needed to be assertive.

He couldn't believe that the people around him believed that story, that a guy like Kyungsoo would be willing to marry such a manipulative person.

If she was Kyungsoo's future husband, he would have a conversation with him.

He would make the other realize that he was going to marry a snake who would destroy everything he had built, who would tarnish the legacy of their restaurant.

"Do you think so?" She laughed softly, running her finger over the edge of the glass. "Well, I'll tell you a secret. Do Kyungsoo was, indeed, my future husband. But I decided to give up on him. Now he's just yours." Baekhyun frowned, leaning closer to the girl.

"What are you trying to do?"

"Nothing. Just keep that in mind. I didn't leave him because he's a bad person or something. But because he's too obsessed with something that happened in the past." So it was her doing.

Mina was the one who ended their relationship.

He had always been suspicious that the boss was too committed to that story about some guy who went missing in a fishing accident.

The redhead couldn't believe it. But he had a clue as to what it was about.

He needed to talk to Kyungsoo.

He just left the girl there, almost running into someone.

"Sorry." That was his ex-boyfriend.

"Why did you leave?"

"Why should I stay? To watch you get engaged?" The little snake said you were engaged. And that she broke things off between you. "Why didn't you tell me?" Baekhyun crossed his arms.

"I didn't want to worry you." The redhead didn't buy his story.

Why did he feel like the other was lying?

"Do you think you should have hidden something like this?" Kyungsoo sighed, lowering his gaze to the floor. "Are you happy with her?" He felt his heart race.

His mind was screaming "no" at all times.

"I don't know. I guess."

That was when Baekhyun started to get mad.

"You guess? You're engaged, Kyungsoo! You don't have to guess!" Kyungsoo frowned.

"You don't understand, Baekkie."

"Why? Are you going to tell me that she's the love of your life? That you're in love with her?"

"No... I can't say that." Baekhyun stepped back.

"You're going to marry a girl who you don't love?"

"It's not that simple, Baekkie..."

"I don't care. If you're going to marry someone, at least do it because you love them. Not because someone made you do it."

"You don't understand anything!" Kyungsoo's voice was a little higher.

Maybe they were making a scene. But he didn't care. He had reached his limit.

"I understand that you're making a huge mistake, Kyungsoo."

"And what do you want me to do? Huh? I can't leave her!"

"Then don't! Just stop pretending that everything is alright when it's not!"

The redhead walked away, not wanting to deal with it anymore. He was more than upset, he was disappointed.

How could his friend be so blind?

Was he really going to throw away his happiness like that?

He just sighed, deciding to leave the event. Maybe it was better if he left. Kyungsoo seemed very busy, and it wasn't with him.

Park was more than capable of handling everything on his own. He had to be.

When he got home, Baekhyun was more than happy to receive a call from Sehun.

"Holy , I think I'm gonna go bankrupt!" Sehun laughed, and Baekhyun chuckled as well.

"What happened, Sehun?"

"I just got engaged, Byun. This is gonna cost me an arm and a leg!"

Baekhyun felt his heart race.

"Congratulations! I'm so happy for you, Sehunnie! I can't wait to see you guys."

"You and me both. We've been dating for two years. It's about time." Byun smiled.

"Minseok must be very happy."

"I hope so." He felt a weight on his heart, but didn't want to talk about it.

"How's the house hunting going?"

"Pretty well. We're seeing a few places. There's one that we both really like, but it's a bit out of our price range."

"Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find something perfect."

"Thanks, Baek." Sehun yawned. "Anyway, I just wanted to share the news with you. Talk to you later."

"Of course, Sehunnie. Congratulations again!"

"Thanks. See you later." Baekhyun hung up, feeling his heart a little heavier.

He was happy for Sehun, he really was. But it was hard not to think about his own love life when he was surrounded by love and engagements.

As he lay in bed, Baekhyun couldn't help but think about Kyungsoo. He was worried about his friend, and he couldn't help but feel hurt and upset by the whole situation.

He drifted off to sleep with a heavy heart, hoping that things would work out for Kyungsoo and that he wouldn't make a decision he would later regret.


 

 

The restaurant wasn't too crowded when the clock struck nine.

Minseok had a few tasks to finish before Dyo's closed. It was a calm spring night, and he was afraid that he would be greeted with rain when he left. He hated that, as the motorcycle helmet wasn't great for visibility.

The bartender went to the back, taking out the trash in a big black bag. The place wasn't too full, but it wasn't empty either. Almost like the cheap metaphor of a glass half full.

He felt somewhat the same way.

He didn't know how far this thing with Park Chanyeol would start to get complicated. Because he knew it would; it was just a matter of time.

As soon as he threw the bag away and turned back to the door, he got quite a scare. Park Chanyeol was standing behind the closed door, eyes wide open, staring at him.

"Damn it, Park! Do you want to kill me?" The tall man quickly approached him, covering his mouth with his big hands.

"Shh... They can't know I'm here." Minseok frowned, confused.

He signaled for Chanyeol to take his hands off him, which he did, obeying him.

Minseok took a deep breath.

"Look... as much as I love roleplay, kidnapping isn't my thing. Maybe a chef-employee roleplay. You know... something from my expertise." Chanyeol blushed.

"I'm sorry, Minseok. I didn't mean to scare you. I just... I couldn't be there." The tall man smiled weakly, feeling embarrassed.

Minseok knew this would happen, but he didn't think it would be so soon. So they were hiding already? It had to be a joke.

The bartender took another deep breath before continuing.

"Look... Park... I understand that you can't expose yourself and all that straight people do out there... I really don't care. It doesn't matter to me. But I would like to be able to go out whenever I want, without anyone depriving me of being who I am." Chanyeol remained silent, not knowing what to say.

He looked at Minseok like a lost and confused puppy in the middle of the city. It was tragically cute to see. It softened Minseok's heart.

"Okay, okay, I... I understand that you're new to this, and all."

"Min..." He whispered, making the other pay attention to him.

He had never called him that way before; it was a novelty.

"Yes?"

"That's not why I came here in secret."

"What?"

"I came because I left the party. I came to get you earlier." For the first time in a long time, Minseok widened his eyes.

What the hell was that giant saying? Was he crazy?

"You what?" Chanyeol smiled widely, approaching even closer.

He hugged Minseok by the waist, almost encircling it entirely with his large hands. Park lowered his nose to the bartender's neck, taking in his minty scent. It had become extremely comforting.

Minseok just gasped in response.

Park left brief kisses all over his neck, stopping by his ear to whisper, "I missed you, shorty. A lot." Minseok chuckled at his antics.

"You saw me this morning, Mr. Park." Chanyeol pouted, but Minseok could only feel it because he hadn't let go of his neck yet.

"It doesn't matter. I warned you I'd see you." Minseok wasn't used to this.

No one had ever needed him before; it had always been the other way around. It was quite an experience.

"Yeollie... you can't act like this. I told you I couldn't give you that attention. I need to work."

"Don't be mean. The restaurant is already closing." Chanyeol moved away again, this time looking for his lips for a chaste kiss. "Please, come with me... I have food for us." This caught Minseok's attention.

"You bought food...? Why?"

"For you, of course. You can't go without eating." Minseok chuckled again.

He thought he would be doing that a lot for the rest of the night.

"Do you want me to spend the night with you?" Chanyeol hesitated nervously.

Minseok smiled big, finding it amusing. Park Chanyeol was a person of two extremes, quite difficult to understand. One moment, he attacked with passion, and the next, he withdrew all his desires in favor of Minseok's choice.

That hadn't always happened to him, so he wasn't used to it.

"Okay, Park. Yes, I want to. I never told you otherwise."

"Aah..." He seemed relieved. "Phew!" He really said that.

Minseok got closer, pulling his face up for a deeper kiss.

Park moaned between their lips, lifting part of his left thigh up. The sommelier's large hands gripped him with some force, as if trying to pull him inside. Minseok broke the kiss, pulling the taller man by the neck and giving little there while smiling.

Chanyeol laughed, his body shivering from the tickles.

"It tickles." The bartender smiled, putting his hand on Chanyeol's face.

"Do you have a ticklish neck?" The tall man nodded with a shy smile.

"I always had. But it depends on how it's done." Minseok raised an eyebrow.

"Is that so?"

"Oh... no... Min... have mercy." Minseok smiled playfully, getting closer with a determined look.

He bent down to the height of the taller man's belly button, lifting part of his expensive shirt slowly. He looked up from below, with a not-so-good expression. He knew Chanyeol would understand the message. But Chanyeol panicked.

"Not... not here, Min. Let's go." The bartender kept smiling while pulling up the expensive shirt.

Park was hypnotized. He only reacted when Minseok gave him a hickey right under his belly button.

Park's hands flew to his shoulders, pulling him up all at once.

Minseok laughed.

"You're pure temptation... what am I going to do with you?" He asked, already affected by his breath.

Minseok realized it was too easy to seduce him. And so fun, definitely his favorite pastime at the moment.

"You want to punish me, Yeollie?" The taller man closed his eyes. "You know I didn't mind when you slapped me. Yesterday, on the floor of my living room." His eyes opened immediately, filled with lust.

Minseok smiled so widely that it could split his face. It was like playing with the Hulk himself.

He ran his hands through the back of the other's neck, caressing it as if he wasn't expecting an attack.

"Minseok..." He moaned hoarsely, waiting for Minseok.

"Yes...?"

"Let's go. Now." The brunette smiled again.

He had finally gotten what he wanted.


 

 

Baekhyun was feeling really bad. He was practically a wizard (and not from Harry Potter).

The argument with Kyungsoo had been stupid, but enough for the boy to disappear from the party. It was ridiculous.

Baekhyun felt ridiculous.

So, of course, he was making an effort to look for him everywhere. He had already checked the restroom, the entrances and exits of the venue, all decorated tables, and even asked Yuri, who was too drunk to respond to anything.

Not that Baekhyun was much different.

His head was spinning a bit; he had spent quite some time amid so much alcohol. He knew he wouldn't have that again, so he took advantage of it.

But now he regretted it.

He went to the place they had gone to earlier, hoping he would be in the same position as before. When he arrived, he noticed he was right.

Kyungsoo was sitting, his body turned towards the wooden bars that separated the two ends of the place.

Baekhyun just observed him for a while.

He didn't know what was going on in his boss's heart, but he had a good idea.

His father was a terrible person, and it deeply annoyed the redhead. People might think that no sane person could be so cruel to their own child, but that's not how it worked.

Baekhyun knew that very well.

But now, maybe it was his fault for the other's melancholic state.

He approached Kyungsoo with silent steps and crouched behind his back slowly. His hands went to cover Kyungsoo's eyes, making the chef jump. Baekhyun brought his mouth close to the smaller one's ear, whispering, "Guess who it is..." Kyungsoo laughed, covering Baekhyun's hands with his own.

"I really have no idea. Can I ask for hints?" he asked.

"Ajuhssi... besides being forgetful, you're also going deaf?" His slurred voice indicated he was at least a bit happy.

"Yes, I am... so have mercy on me." Baekhyun smiled widely.

"I'll give you just one hint: I'm a friend of yours." Kyungsoo pretended to think.

"Hmm... Chanyeol?"

"Wrong." Kyungsoo sighed.

"Ah, I need more hints."

"If I give you one more, it'll be too easy."

"You have to make it easy for me; I'm nearsighted." Baekhyun laughed this time.

"Ah... Baekkie... it's you! I recognize that laugh anywhere." The redhead's heart wavered.

He slowly removed his fingers from Kyungsoo's eyes as he moved away. The chef was a little confused and stood up from where he had been sitting. As they locked eyes, Baekhyun noticed that they were a bit red, as if he had been crying.

"Soo..." The other shook his head.

"It's okay, Baekkie." His voice was low, as if he were very embarrassed about it.

"Sorry. I came here because I feel like an idiot." The brunette smiled softly.

"It's not that, Baekkie; it's just that I..." he whispered softly. Baekhyun realized it was another one of his confessions. "My father, he..."

"What has that bastard done this time?" He should have held back, but he was already tired.

Tired of Kyungsoo, tired of life. He hated people who took advantage of situations, as he was sure Mr. Do was doing.

The chef just shook his head, sighing deeply. He wasn't going to talk about it. Baekhyun was going to kill that guy; he had destroyed Kyungsoo's ability to trust people. He was sure of that.

Baekhyun approached him slowly, looking into the large eyes he had. He wasn't afraid anymore, he realized, but the intensity was still there. The redhead put his arm around his back, like a dancer's embrace, and brought his body closer to his. They stayed like that for a moment, with only silence speaking for both of them. He didn't know how many times they had been in that position just that day, but it was quite comfortable. So they just continued.

Far away, a piece of piano music could be heard. It was a beautiful melody that grew slowly and gently dragged itself into Baekhyun's ears.

He began to move his body to the soft rhythm, swaying with Kyungsoo, just from side to side. The sway was comforting, and neither of them said anything.

Their eyes were locked, and he knew their hearts also followed the gentle rhythm that enveloped them.

Kyungsoo intertwined his left hand with his, their fingers interlocking. The soft palm enclosed his in a warm grip. Baekhyun moved his head close to Kyungsoo's as if he were hypnotized by the moment. He didn't realize when he started to softly hum in the smaller one's ear, just releasing a few murmurs without any lyrics. Kyungsoo placed one of his hands on his back, still holding him close.

"Baekkie..." he managed to whisper.

Baekhyun continued murmuring with the music in the background. His voice was slow and calm, trying to reach the other, who held on tightly. As the music came to an end, Kyungsoo moved back a little to look into his eyes. They were still a bit red, but more than that, they were sincere. It seemed to say the unspoken words there. That he thanked him for coming and that he was sorry.

Baekhyun replied that it wasn't his fault. That he understood his side and that his insecurity sometimes spoke too loud.

The entire unspoken conversation was understood just through the exchange of glances.

Baekhyun's heart was racing.

He sighed deeply and rested his forehead against Kyungsoo's. They still held hands, a grip that he didn't think was possible to break. He felt much more comfortable there than in any other moment of his entire life. That's when he realized: he was probably in more trouble than he would like.

He was torn between doing what his heart commanded and doing what was right. But sometimes his heart was a weightlifter, and the force it exerted on him was greater than he could imagine.

Before he knew it, he was already leaning in, sealing his lips with Kyungsoo's. He could feel the warmth of the other's mouth and the softness of his thick lips against his.

Baekhyun on Kyungsoo's lower lip first before seeking the opening he wanted. Kyungsoo's tongue was gentle, calmly making space inside his mouth, a tranquility that didn't match the pace of his heart.

He could feel his heart pounding in his throat.

His kiss tasted like passion fruit. Once he realized that, he tried to savor as much of that flavor as possible, embracing his own tongue with Kyungsoo's, on it and going deep into his mouth.

From that moment on, passion fruit became Baekhyun's favorite fruit.

The other's hands moved from his to his face. Kyungsoo caressed his cheek with his thumb, with a gentleness that went straight to Baekhyun's

 heart. He was gentle, calm, and warm, like one of those breezes on a sunny summer day.

The other's thick lips moved down to his chin, leaving chaste kisses that elicited soft sighs from Baekhyun's mouth.

"Soo..." he whispered softly.

Kyungsoo stopped immediately, his eyes locked on his. He didn't say anything, but he didn't think he needed to. He simply pulled Baekhyun closer, deepening the kiss they were sharing.

Baekhyun, with his eyes closed, felt the caresses he made all over his body. The gentle touches on his waist, those that passed over his face, and even the gentle brushing of his fingers on the nape of his neck. They were all small and light, but they made a big difference in how the kiss deepened.

The other didn't give him a break.

His lips were already seeking for air when Kyungsoo separated them again.

He rested his forehead against his and sighed, a small smile on his face. He gently sealed Baekhyun's lips with a chaste kiss.

The pastry chef had never felt that way in his entire life.

None of the guys he had been with before compared to Kyungsoo. His gentle and intense demeanor was a combination that made him feel needy.

Beloved.

He never thought he could feel this way about someone, especially someone he was attracted to.

There it was.

He had confessed.

He was deeply attracted to Do Kyungsoo.