Café

éclair

 

Park Chanyeol was , sprawled on his own bed.

He had just taken a shower, after a long night of partying. A night that ended in disaster and led Kim Minseok to his house.

All his limits had been broken.

There was a lot on his mind after the past few hours, and he didn't think he could settle down for a long time. Not even if he tried or underwent brainwashing. Like in that movie with Jim Carrey, where you could forget everything.

Kim Minseok wasn't just any guy.

He was daring. No, more than that: he was a predator. A cheeky one. One... well, he didn't even know the right adjective anymore.

The night at Spinnet hadn't been like any other. They drank, and drank, and talked, and drank some more. Park was resistant to alcohol, rarely letting himself succumb to the devilish power of alcohol. But Minseok...

After three more shots of tequila, the shorter guy took advantage and cornered him.

Chanyeol had gone to the smoking area of the place, where many young people were enjoying the night, if you could call it that... They were looking for a place where they could talk. It was a bit difficult to find a corner for the two of them, but in the end, they managed. Even if it was a bit cramped.

Park didn't intend to go there to smoke, but Kim Minseok smoked like a chimney! It was hard for him, as he had quit smoking two years ago. He hoped he wouldn't have a relapse with the short guy next to him constantly smelling like menthol cigarettes.

"You know, smoking is not good for your health," the sommelier warned.

His intention was for the other guy to have the decency to put out the cigarette, but he just turned to Park with a smile on his face.

"How long has it been since you quit, Yoda?" Ah! What was that nickname?

Chanyeol furrowed his brow, irritated.

"Yoda? And who are you? Some kind of starry feline?" The other blew out a thick smoke, smelling of menthol.

He always smelled like menthol. It was his damn opium!

"I don't know about that..." His smile widened as he gave Chanyeol an intense look. "But if you want, I can be as wild as one and take you there. It's almost the same thing." Park swallowed hard.

The shorter guy didn't dare blink or make any move. Which made the taller guy realize that he was serious.

"I-I..." He was cornered against the wall as the bartender walked closer to him.

The space between them was already tiny, but with Minseok pushing him, all he felt was his body against his. Warm. Warm and comforting. Chanyeol hated it.

"I want to try something with you," the shorter guy whispered.

Park watched his movements in front of him. His hand slowly went to his neck, while the other rested by his arm against the wall.

Underneath his head was still the NY cap turned backwards, and that was all the taller guy could see. He felt his breath, warm against his chest, as he watched Minseok admire him. That's what he was doing, there was no other term for it. His eyes roamed over his entire being. And he seemed happy about it.

The brunette locked eyes with him. It was as mesmerizing as it had always been, with that damn eyeliner! It seemed like he was a dementor about to his soul.

Unconsciously, Chanyeol was staring at his slightly parted lips. They were the lips he had always dreamed of, tormented for years on end. The small piercing hole was still there. And it widened every time Minseok smiled.

Like now.

The shorter guy quickly smiled before pulling him down and closing the gap between them completely.

Chanyeol felt like his stomach was going to explode. His heart was beating so fast, all motivating him to grab Minseok and never let go. And that's what he did.

The shorter guy on his lips forcefully, and Park responded by squeezing him. His hand unconsciously stopped at his , and he moaned softly in approval.

Chanyeol pulled him up as if searching for air within him. The other guy struggled to maintain balance, not to fall off the bar counter. The cigarette was already forgotten on the floor, the fire completely extinguished.

Or transmitted to both of them.

Because suddenly, everything was hot. So hot that he couldn't take it anymore.

All the drunkenness that clouded his senses was no longer present in that moment. Because all he could think about was the person in front of him and how long he had waited for this, and it didn't seem real. He floated between his five senses, trying to find a way to wake up.

Chanyeol moved his lips to the bartender's neck, changing their position and pressing him against the wall to maintain balance.

Minseok laughed deeply.

"Mr. Park, what's the rush?" he asked, sarcastically.

But Chanyeol didn't respond.

He didn't know if he could. He could only move his lips wherever he thought the shorter guy deserved his attention: all over his body.

His large hands flew down the sides of his thighs, balancing him with his own arms. The bartender smiled with his lips red from the pressure before searching for a strategic spot.

It didn't take a minute for him to find his way to his ear. Minseok on his earlobe, desperately.

"Always wanted to do this," he whispered, laughing softly.

Park smiled as he searched for his way to the shorter guy's neck. It was always his favorite part, but as he pressed himself closer to the guy's body, he felt something he had never felt before: arousal for the brunette.

He had never kissed a guy for real before. This was his first time, and he was scared by how excited he was about it. Or maybe it was just the effect of Kim Minseok on him.

His hands flew to the shorter guy's abdomen, who reciprocated by placing his small fingers on his chest. The bartender moved down to find the gap between the buttons that were still fastened. He pulled at the shirt, undoing each button without warning.

Chanyeol pulled away, a bit dazed. His breathing felt like he was swimming in a 100-meter pool.

"Mr. Park..." The voice was a bit low, as he leaned against him.

"What the hell, Minseok!" The taller guy grabbed his shoulders a bit tightly. Chanyeol was trying hard not to make a mess right there and then.

But when the shorter guy bent down and half of his body hung off the bar counter, that was when Park realized: he was feeling sick.

He widened his eyes.

Minseok looked pale, vomiting while leaning against the smoking area counter, overlooking the street. Whoever was passing by down there, Chanyeol prayed that they wouldn't start a fight with anyone.

He went to the shorter guy's side, who seemed really sick and had vomited most of what was in his stomach from the second floor of the bar. He leaned on Chanyeol, who was starting to get really worried.

"We should go home. You need to rest." The taller guy looked at him with a mix of sadness and sarcasm.

"But damn it. Three years wasted in one night." Park widened his eyes again.

What had he just said?

"W-We should go, Minseok. I'll take you home."

"Oh, can you guarantee that?" The bartender leaned against him in an embrace.

"Maybe we should go to the bathroom first..." Chanyeol suggested.

Minseok smiled and nodded. That was all he could do at the moment, as he seemed a bit ill.

After that, they went to the bartender's house, where Chanyeol had to put him to sleep and almost died resisting the charms made by the shorter guy. It wasn't easy to resist his charms. His gaze was hard to escape, and when he took off his shirt to try to seduce him again, Park ran out of the place like the devil fleeing from the cross.

But it was no use.

Next to the black wooden nightstand, there was still a trace that insisted on following him: the black Yankees cap that Minseok had worn last night.

It was in his Porsche when he returned home, and he ended up bringing it with him without realizing it. He could think that it was just a consequence of his thoughtless actions, but he knew it was more than that.

It was damn Fate playing with his luck again.

Park got up from the bed and walked to the closet, trying to occupy his mind with putting together an outfit that could make him forget about his mistakes. That's what happens when you don't think with your head. When he saw the bartender in the bar's light last night, he couldn't resist. He attacked him like a madman.

He moved his hands to his face, feeling warm with embarrassment.

Where was your self-control, Park Chanyeol? You're not that kind of player.

Much less with a guy!

Had he really hooked up with a guy? And what was this now? Gay? Biual? Minseokual? Could you have a uality for just one person? It seemed like that's what he felt!

He couldn't see anyone else other than the guy with feline eyes. And he was a guy. What a crazy situation was that?

Would his friend know anything about it? No... Kyungsoo had never dated someone he liked. He didn't even know if his friend had... well, let's just say he's very secretive about it.

But then who could he talk to? He wasn't close with anyone who... oh, Luhan!

Alright, he could call Luhan and ask if that friend of his was some kind of wizard. Because there couldn't be any other reason for all that to happen. Kim Minseok must have cast a spell on him! He was sure of it now!

Chanyeol went straight to the phone, searching for Luhan's number in his contacts, when his phone started ringing. What timing!

"Hello, love," he said cheerfully as a greeting.

A deep, irritated voice responded from the other end of the line:

"What love, Chanyeol?! I'm calling to see if you're alive! You didn't respond to any of my messages last night!" Park raised an eyebrow, surprised.

He always checked his messages, but this time he had forgotten. Because of a certain someone who appeared...

"Uh... well... I... went out last night... that's it..." Kyungsoo sighed on the other end.

"Typical. Is she still there? Or did you already send her away?" Park froze.

What could he say? Normally he would joke about it and then say that yes, the girl had left after having coffee and all. The truth was: he wasn't a jerk. At least not intentionally.

"Uh..."

"Chanyeol? What's wrong? You're acting strange today." Damn it. He couldn't hide anything from that big-eyed shorty!

"I-It's nothing... and you... did you talk to your pastry chef?"

"He's not my pastry chef!" Kyungsoo said, annoyed. "Actually, I called you about that. He accepted." Park smiled.

"Of course he would, it's not like he had much of a choice..."

"You're right. And guess what? It's because of you!" He was irritated, which only improved the mood of the older guy even more.

"I-I mean... we did it so we wouldn't miss a good opportunity. Trust me."

"I trust... of course I trust..." The chef paused, sighing. "But I just think we should have checked first. That's not how I want to handle things from now on."

"I can apologize to him on Monday."

"Okay. We'll go with that." Chanyeol raised an eyebrow.

"Are you serious? I have to apologize for that?"

"Well, yes!" Kyungsoo responded without hesitation. "Do you think I can maintain that kind of relationship with my employees? I don't want them to think I'm a tyrant."

"They probably already think that..." The bald guy sighed on the other end. "But... I don't think that's the real reason."

"W-What do you mean?" Ah. There it is.

"Since the dinner at your dad's house, I've been noticing it... you have a stronger attachment to that pastry chef, and you haven't told me why." He didn't want to sound jealous, but that's what he ended up sounding like.

"Well... we're friends now." Park was flabbergasted.

"You guys are what?!"

"We're friends. I'm willing to make things work between me and Baekhyun. We'll need that if he becomes my partner, right? Building a relationship of trust." A relationship of trust... Chanyeol knew very well about another relationship his friend wanted to have with Baekhyun.

"You mean you guys made up? Overnight?"

"Yes! He's very understanding. He's helping me a bit with... organization... and my... temperament. He's very determined." Chanyeol fell silent for a while before speaking again.

"So you're saying you've become close friends?"

"I guess you could say that."

"Huh. Alright then. Good for you dwarves." Kyungsoo laughed loudly on the other end of the line.

"Are you kidding me? You always told me to make new friends. Are you jealous now?" Of course he was! He never thought his maknae would take his advice seriously!

"I have no reason to be jealous of the little redhead, Do Kyungsoo, because I'm your best friend. I'm above all of them. You are my best friend." He thought it was better to make it clear where he stood.

If Byun thought he could remove him from the equation, he was sorely mistaken! There was only one place for the position of Do Kyungsoo's best friend, and that was occupied by all of his 6'1" (185cm).

"Chanyeol... I would never replace you with someone else." Kyungsoo said with a teasing tone, but he knew that he appreciated his somewhat... possessive attitude.

In a way, they were dependent on each other. Park knew that more than anyone else. But he doubted that Kyungsoo knew how much he needed him, as much as the shorty claimed to need him. They were like one.

"I know. I don't let that happen. No little dwarf is going to change that."

"You're unbelievable." The bald guy laughed.

"Thank you."

"Anyway... on Monday, Yuri will come to us and discuss wedding plans with Baekkie. Maybe we can start organizing the catering and drinks..."

"Baekkie?" He couldn't have heard it right... was this Kyungsoo? Using nicknames? "Okay, Do Kyungsoo!! Why does he have a nickname and I don't?"

"Aish." He could imagine him rolling his eyes. "You don't give me a break! I'm hanging up." It didn't take long for Chanyeol to realize that the call had dropped.

Yeah, Kyungsoo was an easy person to annoy.

Park sighed.

Big deal, that little dwarf. He wouldn't be the one he feared. Maybe, if he was lucky, Kyungsoo would start seeing him differently. Not that it wasn't already happening. Chanyeol had his suspicions.

He left the closet already dressed in a more casual outfit. He would have to stop by his parents' house for lunch, so he should look presentable. No traces of last night's alcohol.

As soon as he grabbed his keys, he looked at the cap on the nightstand again. Park smiled before pulling out his phone and sending a message to the number he had added to his contacts last night.

The "Damn Kim" would wake up to a surprise that morning.


 

 

The cold living room of the apartment sent shivers down Minseok's spine as the night set in. Or the morning. Or any time of the day, because that damn apartment must be located near Alaska.

He had slept in the living room since he had come home drunk the previous night. Drunk in several senses of the word.

He was a bit confused because he didn't remember much. Except for Chanyeol's hands, and Chanyeol's ears, and the lingering scent in his nose, along with the image of his gasping mouth.

Why, for all that is holy, did he have these mental images?

It felt like a movie experienced by someone else. Even though he had felt everything the previous night, this morning he couldn't recall anything.

He knew the memories would come with time. It was always like that. And when they were all pieced together, he would know what really happened.

Minseok got up, realizing he was shirtless. The cap was nowhere to be seen, and his phone lay abandoned at the foot of the couch. He picked it up groggily and unlocked it, only to see something quite strange: there was a message from his supposed lover:

 

Park Chanyeol: Call me when you wake up...

Park Chanyeol: Are you okay?

Park Chanyeol: Hey, did you wake up? Don't go into a coma!!!

Minseok smiled widely. He was so cute when he worried. The last two messages were sent early in the morning, which meant that he had probably helped him the night before.

For the first time in a long time, the bartender couldn't ignore his hookup from the previous night. What a twist life had thrown at him.

Kim Minseok: I'm alive, Yoda.

Kim Minseok: But still with some memory gaps...

Kim Minseok: Care to fill me in on what happened yesterday?

 

Minseok sent the messages but didn't wait to see if they would be answered. He took a shower and went to the kitchen in search of some decent food. His stomach felt more like a polluted river, and it still hurt from excessive alcohol consumption. Yep... he must have overdone it last night.

His phone vibrated in his pocket, indicating a new message.

 

Park Chanyeol: Which part don't you remember?

Park Chanyeol: I took you home...

Park Chanyeol: Your cap must still be in my car.

Park Chanyeol: But don't worry, I'll ask Kyungsoo to give it to you.

 

Ah, his cap was with him? What the hell had happened? Minseok was frustrated. He sat at the kitchen table, trying to formulate a coherent sentence.

 

Kim Minseok: It's okay.

Kim Minseok: It's not that important, but I would have preferred if it was you who gave it back to me...

Kim Minseok: But thanks, Yoda ;)

Park Chanyeol: >:(

 

Minseok smiled. An angry emoji. How cute could Park be? Suddenly, flashes of Chanyeol's large hand covering his own face appeared in his mind. Chanyeol embarrassed? What had Minseok done to make that happen?

He had always known that the tall guy was afraid of him, and that was amusing. But he never thought that one day he would succumb to his charms. Even though the bartender had been waiting for it.

The phone vibrated again, making his heart race.

What was happening to him?

His stomach churned as he looked at the messages. He should have something to eat, as these could only be the effects of a hangover.

 

Park Chanyeol: Don't call me that!!

Kim Minseok: Are you so angry... should I be worried?

 

He couldn't resist another tease. It took a good 10 minutes for the response to come through.

 

Park Chanyeol: Aish

Park Chanyeol: Stop it...

Park Chanyeol: And you didn't answer me!! Are you okay?

Kim Minseok: I'm great, Yoda. Better than ever.

Park Chanyeol: You know that making fun of someone's physical traits is not nice?

Kim Minseok: Making fun? Who's making fun?

Kim Minseok: Your ears are like two popsicles. I believe I demonstrated that quite well last night.

 

The bartender grinned when he didn't receive any further response.

That would keep him thinking for a long time. Maybe next time his boss went to Dyo's, Minseok could prepare something more for him. Yes, he was definitely hoping for a second chance. But this time, he wouldn't let a drop of alcohol prevent him from making memories of the moment.

If regret could kill... he'd be dead.

As soon as he placed the phone on the table, Luhan entered the kitchen. She was still wearing her clothes from the previous night, and her makeup was slightly smudged. The brunette smiled when she looked at her.

"Good morning, gorgeous." The girl looked at him with a puzzled expression.

"I... will never drink again." Kim laughed.

"What's happening to us, Lu? I haven't had a hangover like this since my teenage years." She furrowed her brow.

"What do you mean? What time did you get home?"

"Early, I think. And you?"

"Hm... I don't remember. I ended up running into some coworkers, and then... oh..."

"Oh...?"

"I don't remember..." Minseok laughed again.

"We should make a promise. No one drinks in this house until the opposite is said."

"Contrary!"

"Clever girl." Luhan sat next to him, holding her head in her hands.

"But did you enjoy the performance? I didn't see you there." The girl gave him an accusing look. "Did you even go?"

"What? Of course, I did! I never miss any of your shows." Luhan huffed, displeased.

"That's true." The blonde looked at her properly for the first time since she had entered the room. "What happened to you? You're all bruised up. You know what, don't tell me. I don't know if I want to hear."

Minseok laughed.

"It's nothing serious."

"Now I know why you disappeared." The bartender didn't say much after that. He was still pensive about what had happened.

Of course, Chanyeol was a handsome guy, but he knew that the poor guy must be struggling with some issues. It's not every day that you realize you're outside the norm. He imagined that Chanyeol must be dealing with that now.

There was also the fact that Minseok couldn't get him out of his mind. If they couldn't repeat what they had done, he thought he might go crazy. He knew he couldn't force anything; Park was probably freaking out about his own feelings. But he doubted he could hold back if he saw him again.

He would search for the strength of heterouals, maybe that would stop him from thinking about the possibility of having him.

But he was so...

"Aaarrrghh." He let out his frustration without even realizing it, drawing his friend's attention.

"Hey, what's wrong?" The bartender sighed.

"Let's just say I messed up yesterday, and now I'm torn."

"Kim Minseok! What did you do?"

"Nothing serious... I just... ended up with someone I shouldn't have." Luhan pursed her lips, displeased.

"And why did you do that?"

"Because he's irresistible." The blonde laughed.

"You... have to figure things out, my dear." Minseok ran his hands through his hair. They were getting longer and maybe needing a trim, but it was relaxing to pull on them.

"I know, gorgeous. But it's not as easy as I thought it would be." Luhan fell silent, calmly observing him.

She got up, put her arm around him, planted a kiss on his temple, and headed to the kitchen to prepare something for breakfast.

There was no need for words. She understood. She would be there for whatever he needed.

But what Kim didn't expect was that maybe not even his best friend could help him in that moment.

All he wanted was a way to know what to do next. Should he set aside his reservations and look for him once again? Would Chanyeol even want that?

The short guy looked at his friend, who was singing in the kitchen while cooking.

If he talked to Luhan, she would probably know what to say. But did he have that right?

He didn't know if Park would take it well.

Minseok had never been so pensive because of a hookup. But then again, he had never experienced Park Chanyeol before. And that was a mark that would take a while to fade from his skin.


 

 

Irene had already scrolled up and down the browser's bar over a hundred times, she was sure of that.

Her hand was already warm from the amount of time she had spent glued to the mouse. And now her fingers were also starting to hurt from typing, searching, and gathering data about all the art colleges in South Korea.

The browser page was open on the website of Seoul National University. Yep. It was yet another crazy idea she was thinking of getting herself into. But then again, wasn't she the kind of person who embraced that letter "L"? Madness was practically her motto, her philosophy of life.

The girl sighed.

If she really went to college, she would have to live with her father again. That was totally and absolutely out of the question. No chance. Zero.

So, how was she going to do it?

She was a cosplayer, and yet she couldn't attend all the events she wanted. All because she didn't have enough money for it. She didn't work double shifts, so all her money from performances and modeling photos went towards rent. Or her emergency fund (even though she was always in an emergency, and the fund didn't exist anymore).

So, for that reason, she thought it would be better and obvious to go to college. It was more than time, she needed it to survive. She would never be independent if she couldn't progress financially. It was horrible to depend on others.

But she knew what embracing this destiny meant, more than anyone else.

It meant delaying the supposed family she was supposed to build. It meant dedicating her entire life entirely to herself, for 4 long years. It meant having to make a decision about her fiancé.

Irene knew what the outcome of all this would be. Her relationship with Sehun was already worn out. No. More than that, it was hanging by a thread. A single thread that connected them, as fragile as a hair that could break with any movement. And if it broke, there would be no turning back.

Irene knew that.

But what she didn't know was what she would do about it.

She wanted to sort out her life. She wanted to have her independence before being able to settle down; she was only 23 years old. Almost the whole world to discover.

Or maybe... her world could change its focus.

Irene started thinking a lot about it when she observed Sehun sleeping the day before.

He had the same habits from their teenage years, sleeping with his forehead finally relaxed and his features all so gentle in contrast to his evident worries.

Sehun must have aged years in the last week, and it was all her fault. She had done all that to him. And now she wanted to erase it. Erase all the pain she had caused, all the resentments that were still so alive between them.

It seemed like they had reached a point that neither of them had planned: separation. Or almost that.

Irene wasn't sure.

She just wanted everything to go back to how it used to be, like in the old times.

But that was impossible now, right? They weren't teenagers anymore. She wasn't an insecure little girl, but a dreamy and determined woman.

And that's why she was thinking: was there anything to lose?

The dresser where her computer was placed was filled with family photos. But there was still one where she was with Sehun and Taeyong, one of their college friends.

The three of them were at the beach in front of a bonfire. Sehun had long hair, almost covering his ears, as he hugged her with a smile. Taeyong also embraced his girlfriend.

That day, they made a joke about the two of them. About how they would never know what it was like to be with other people when they got married since they had been dating since high school.

But Sehun... Sehun gave her an answer that stayed with Irene every day of her life: "I don't need to know what it's like to be with other girls... I just need to convince the one I want to be with, to want me back every day of our lives."

That was practically a plea. A plea for her to say yes. And she did. Right there, in front of that bonfire, after everyone had left and packed the blankets into their cars.

Of course, it was just a hypothetical situation. They hadn't taken that request seriously. Until a few months ago, he came up with the same request. This time, in the traditional style, on his knees and all. Her fiancé was a bit cheesy, but she loved him more than anything.

So why was she so afraid of this love transgressing?

The door to her room burst open with a bang. Irene jumped from her chair, startled.

"Yeri! Do you want to give me a heart attack? Aish."

"Why? Are you watching or something?" The girl widened her eyes to try to see the laptop screen.

Irene closed it forcefully before turning to her.

"What? Of course not!" The girl huffed, sitting on the bed.

"Then is it ? I hope it's not that disgusting with tentacles."

"Yeri!!"

"Ugh, I'm kidding, gross." Yeri took off her cap and threw the backpack she had on her back on the bedroom floor.

"What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to go home? Does Dad know about this?" The other shrugged, disinterested.

"Dad can off."

"Watch your language!" The older one scolded.

Irene walked to the floor, picking up the thrown backpack. When she opened it, she saw that the girl's documents were all there, along with the airplane ticket. Rescheduled for Monday?

"What's this?"

"Well, Unnie... what's there to eat?" The girl pretended not to understand.

"Yeri... for the last time... answer my questions! What is this? Why aren't you in Japan?"

"I'm not bothering you, am I?" Her voice was sad, but she wasn't getting away with it!

"Of course not! But I don't want Dad to come and bother me later. Does he know you're still here?"

"He knows, of course he knows."

"Then why didn't he tell me?" Yeri started plucking the threads of her ripped jeans. She always did that when she was in trouble. Irene prepared herself for the news that was about to come.

"Because apparently, he's coming here."

"W-what?"

"Well, let's say... he found out that you were getting married... and then... he went all crazy and stuff." Irene sat on the bed, dumbfounded.

She was so shocked that she couldn't think of anything else but to scream. Which she did. Her father was coming. Which meant she had to have something ready, or at least something to say to him.

"What... when... how did this happen?"

"I don't know..." The girl pretended.

Oh no, don't tell me...

"Yeri..." Irene pretended patience. Only that way would she get a complete answer. "Did you tell him that I'm getting married?"

"Who? Me? Of course not. Are you crazy?" Yeri laughed. "W-why would I do such a thing?" Irene jumped on the girl, hitting her with the backpack she was holding.

"Why did you do this, you

 idiot?" The girl defended herself, running around the room.

"Hey, calm down! You're acting like a crazy person."

"You're going to call him and tell him it's all a huge lie, and-"

"That won't help." Irene crossed her arms.

"And why not?"

"Because Sehun already confirmed it."

The older one stood still, not knowing what to do.

Sehun had confirmed it? Why?

"Yeah, apparently, you won't get rid of him. So, get ready for your wedding." The girl left her alone in the room, speechless.

If her fiancé had confirmed the wedding, then he had decided everything on his own. Irene didn't know if she should be angry or grateful. It took so long for her to take the final step in their relationship, and Sehun did it alone.

Now, what she didn't know was whether he had changed his mind about having children or if he was determined to make her change her mind...

The pressure made her question again if she could even consider herself an adult.

Why was everything that happened in her life due to other people's decisions? She was tired of being the background of her own story.


 

Kai was sitting in the café two blocks down from Spinnet's.

He was waiting for him again. Maybe he would always wait, until one day it finally dawned on him.

The guy chuckled bitterly as he spun his fingers around the edge of the cup of hot coffee. It had been so many years. So many years. He didn't know how they had ended up like this: going in separate directions.

He knew he still had Taemin's love, but not to the extent he desired. Not to the extent he needed. Taemin always accused him of being intense. Like the heat of a volcano's lava.

Yeah, maybe he was.

But he suspected that wasn't what had driven them apart. He didn't know where he had gone wrong with Taemin. One day they were talking and joking on Jeju Island, and the next thing he knew was a note and an empty bed beside him.

"We need to talk" always felt like a death sentence.

The café bell rang through the establishment as he walked in. He was wearing a dark green cardigan, scarf, and beanie to fend off the cold. It was almost comical to see him wearing so many layers; he never covered his arms.

When he sat across from Kai, he smiled. The smile that he had come to admire since they were teenagers.

"Hello." The soft voice was slightly hoarse.

"Are you okay?" Kai asked, concerned.

"Ah, I must have caught a cold." Taemin looked at his cup. "Have you ordered already?"

Kai looked at the cup again, lost in thought.

"Yes. Needed to warm up." The Korean agreed without saying anything more.

The brunette knew he had already sensed what all of this was about. He was just buying time. It was typical of him: not to break people's hearts. Taemin would never have the courage to break up with him.

Kai thought he was a coward for that.

"How was yesterday? I couldn't go to the concert with Chen." The other put his hands in his lap, playing with the chipped dark nail polish.

"I'm not in the mood for small talk, Taemin. Let's get to the point."

"I know you met someone yesterday." He said neutrally. There was no resentment or joy in his voice. Just the truth.

Kai furrowed his brow.

"And what does that have to do with anything?" Taemin lifted his head, looking him in the eyes.

"Do you like him?" The other smiled, disbelieving.

"I think I have the answer to my question. It's still a no, right?" Taemin sighed.

"Kai..."

"Listen... can you, you know, just tell me if this will ever happen?" He sounded desperate, and he knew it.

But his heart couldn't take it anymore. He wanted to be free, like Taemin was being free. He seemed happy, moving on, so why couldn't Kai? Why did everything keep coming back to him?

The guy in front of him took his hands, holding them. They were cold. An ironic contrast to his hands, which were warm. They seemed to represent the dance they had been doing for a long time now.

"I don't want you to wait for me, but I'll always be here for you."

"You've told me that before." Kai crossed his arms, looking at him. "You've said all the things you have to say. I just want a straight answer. Can you give me that this time?"

Taemin remained quiet for a moment. He seemed to be thinking about what to say, which could only mean one thing. He had already understood everything.

The brunette pulled his hands away, breaking the contact. It might seem like an innocent act, but the other knew it wasn't. It was the end of that chapter. And the ending wasn't a happy one.

"See you tomorrow. I have to prepare for work." He didn't respond, but Kai didn't expect him to.

As he left the café, it felt like he was leaving behind an entire lifetime. Surprisingly, he had no tears to share because he already knew this would be the final destination. He would have to learn to deal with Taemin being his companion in a different way.

But only time will tell how it will be resolved.