vii. blackouts and worries

Flashing Hearts

RECAP:

The interview ended with Yoo Jae Suk sunbaenim asking for a few more questions regarding the state of my mother currently and if there was any attempt from my father again to talk with us aside from the incident in my recent interview. I revealed that my father contacted me while I was in the hospital and that’s one of the things that pushed me to talk in this interview to finally shed light on the real happenings regarding that part of my life. I don’t enjoy sharing my personal life but in my line of work, it seems like it’s an inevitable thing.

 

After the interview, just as I was about to stand up and walk out, I collapsed.


SUNGYEOL’S POV

 

Once again, I woke up inside the hospital with my manager chattering away on his phone. I can feel someone holding my hand and saw that Myungsoo was peacefully sleeping on my bedside while waiting for me to wake up. I gently squeezed his hand and in an instant he jolted up and looked at me with the most tired eyes I’ve seen on him.

 

“Baby~” I whispered and he immediately gave me a peck on the lips and smiled at me.

 

“How are you feeling babe?” Myungsoo asked as he gently caresses my face. I can still hear manager hyung speaking ever so loudly on his phone. I chuckled softly at the thought of him arguing with someone else again. He’s really protective like that.

 

“I feel like an elephant stepped on my head when I woke up but with your kiss it all evaporated. I’m sorry for making you worry again. Did I finish the interview?” I asked.

 

“Yes you did, baby. You finished bravely. I am so proud of you for being so brave and honest. I love you.” Myungsoo said and gave me another peck on the lips. He then handed me a glass of water for me to drink and that’s when Manager hyung noticed that I was awake.

 

“Hey, kid! How are you? Do you need anything?” he inquired.

 

“I just need you to be quiet for a sec, hyung.” I teased and he smiled at me sheepishly.

 

“Looks like you’re feeling better now since you can tease me again. Anyway, that was the management. They apologized for pushing you to do that interview and I just yelled at them just so they know I am so mad at them as well as the production company of the interview because of their ty security but don’t worry about that anymore. I am happy to announce that despite the negative articles here and there, there has been more positive and sympathizing articles out there. They heard you, Sungyeol. Most them hope that you guys would talk it over but more people think that what you felt was valid and that you’re not in the wrong. All I’m saying is you are not a bad man, Yeol. You’re just human with human feelings. Take it easy, man.” he said and Myungsoo and I shared and knowing look.

 

“So what now hyung? We still got some press conferences and appearances for the movie? Are they mad? What do we need to do?” I asked worriedly and requested Myungsoo to fix my bed so I could sit straight which he gladly obliged to.

 

“Honestly, they were worried at first and they thought the controversy will be so blown out of proportion that people would start boycotting the movie but the controversial interview you just did actually turned everything for the better. People started lining up again for the movie to show support to you and Myungsoo. Everything is surprisingly making a good turn.” Manager hyung announced and I can’t help but smile widely. I really thought this will be the end of our career and to be honest it will really be the death of me.

 

“Why don’t you rest more and don’t think of anything else first, baby. Focus on your recovery so that we’ll have the jolly Sungyeol back. I miss being hyper with you.” Myungsoo chuckled and fixed my bed again so I’m lying back down.

After what seems like hours of sleep, I woke up again but this time with my mother on my bedside looking at me longingly and sadly.

 

“Oh Sungyeol, why didn’t you come to eomma?” she said slowly as she felt a lump on . I feel so bad for her and I feel so guilty for not telling her my move. I just wanted to protect her from further harm and pain.

 

“I’m sorry, mom.” was all I could manage to utter. She then proceeded on hugging me tight.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me that you got hospitalized sometimes? Why do I have to know that my own son has been hospitalized through the news just like any other fan. I know this is your way of protecting me and shielding me from your father but Yeol-ah, I am your mother. I need to know if things like this happens to you. You don’t know how worried I am. I was so worried and angry that I even got mad at Myungsoo for not telling me too. I just love you so much, my son and I don’t want you to think I can’t protect you anymore just because you’re all grown up.” that’s when my tears started falling and started crying on my mother’s shoulder.

 

We stayed like that for a few good minutes before I started updating my mother with all of the things related to my good-for-nothing father these past few days or weeks. She was listening intently the whole time and didn’t respond until I finished telling her everything. I gave her a few minutes to process everything and I could sense that she’s having a hard time formulating her reply. I can’t blame her because just like me, we both have no idea that he will even ever come back in our lives.

 

“Sungyeol-ah. Let’s meet your father.” she said and the atmosphere in the room immediately got tense.

 

“What?!?! Are you sure mom?” I asked in disbelief. I know I said part of me wanted to meet him but I thought I will be the one to do the convincing and not my mother so this really has taken me a back.

 

“I-I think I can’t live another day in ignorance not with this chance present. That’s why… son… let’s meet him. I also need to know why he left us.” she said teary eyed.

 

“Okay, mom. I’ll make it happen.” I said gently.

 

I called the attention of Manager hyung and started to tell him my plan. I know this will be the hardest day of my life but if this will bring the peace of mind that my mother deserves then so be it. I decided not to let this go on any longer so I asked Manager hyung to set an appointment with my father for tomorrow at a nearby restaurant. I’ve got gazillion questions for him but I know there’s only one question that both my mother and I wishes to be answered.

 

“Yeol-ah. Thank you for doing this. I know it’s hard for you and I know all that you’ve been doing up until now is for me and I thank you for that but son… I think it’s really time for us to face this problem and stop running away from it. Don’t worry, son. I am with you the whole time and we will be strong for each other.” my mom said and hugged me tight.

 

“Are you really sure, mom? You know we can still cancel this.” I said still skeptical despite scheduling the appointment already.

 

“Yeol-ah. I will be alright. Don’t worry my son.” my mom reassured me and I heaved a deep sigh.

 

“Excuse me umm Yeol’s food is here. Maybe we could resume this discussion after he eats, eomma. He really needs his energy.” Myungsoo interjected and my mom nodded and gave some space for Myungsoo to fix everything to feed me.

 

After my meal, we resumed to discussing how things will go tomorrow. My mom and I agreed that we will only give him an hour of our time and we’ll have Manager hyung and two of our bodyguards there just in case I get worked up or my father. It’s better to be on the safe side.

 

“It’s set then. We’ll be there at lunch and have an hour of discussion then however the conversation goes we will leave after an hour. Is that correct?” Manager hyung.

 

“Yes hyung. I don’t know if I can give any more than that. It’s already hard as it is.” I confessed and Manager hyung nodded.

 

My mom decided to stay in the hospital to take care of me for the rest of the day and it’s also better for her to stay because I’m afraid that my father might actually do something that might harm her while I’m recovering and not around her to protect her. Myungsoo on the other hand had himself excused as his family also wants to be with him since this issue didn’t only affected me great but also him. He has received the same amount of boycott when my family issue popped out of nowhere and he is equally shaken from the recent happenings.

 

I would be lying if I say I am not nervous for the appointment tomorrow because I am I really am nervous and afraid of what I can possibly say or do out of anger.

 

Let’s just see.