vi. powering through

Flashing Hearts

RECAP:

After being handed a notebook and pen, I immediately jotted down the timeline of pain brought by my father. I decided to take notes first because I will decide what I can and can not share in public. I have all intentions of revealing the truth without bringing any more damage to my mother and my relationship with Myungsoo. I really should put my head together. I really can’t ruin this any further. I need to be strong.

For my mom

For Myungsoo

For me


SUNGYEOL'S POV

 

“Are you sure you can do this? We could just boycott this anytime.” Manager hyung said.

 

“And ruin my career even more? No thanks, hyung. I am not just doing this for myself but for Myungsoo’s sake as well. We’re just starting. I need to do this. I have to do this. For my peace of mind.” I said and gave out an audible sigh.

 

“Just don’t overexert energy today, okay? I’ll be by your side. If you need water or time to rest just tell me. We’ll take this slow. Understood, babe?” Myungsoo cooed and I nodded slowly.

 

We were still at the hospital so the hairstyle team went to my hospital room to prepare me and we opted to wear something comfortable and yet still stylish for my interview today. I learned that Yoo Jae Suk sunbaenim will be the one who will interview me again and part of me was relieved that I familiar face will be the one to question me about this part of my life.

 

Up until the time we have to go to the studio, Manager hyung kept on pestering me to boycott the whole thing because he’s so worried about my health. Fortunately, the studio kept their promise and had a doctor on stand by which happened to be the doctor that was currently taking care of me at the hospital. With the doctor nearby, I can say that I was a bit relaxed.

 

Myungsoo on the other hand was a nervous wreck. He’s been frantically walking around checking if all the medical things were packed for my safety. Myungsoo and Manager hyung were like my husbands taking care of me and I couldn’t be any more grateful to them.

 

When it was about to go, the doctor reminded me and Myungsoo again of the things I can and can’t do. My doctor was also very skeptical and against this interview as it would hinder my recovery greatly especially knowing that I could get really emotional and agitated when talking about my father but what can we do? This is the occupational hazard that actors had to go through. Unfortunately, this was part of the fame and glory.

 

The car ride to the studio from the hospital was quite short since both were in the same city. Lots of paparazzi were already waiting outside with reporters all hungry to get their mics on my face to make me say something. When the car door open, flashes and flashes of camera met me that can easily make me go blind. Myungsoo immediately covered me and showed his back to the paparazzi and spread his jacket to cover me leaving the reporters to only get the back of Myungsoo. While they are helping me get out of the car, the doctor didn’t hesitate to get to my side immediately and stand as my bodyguard while Myungsoo is doing the same on the other side. I can see Manager hyung shoving people infront of us who were trying to block our way just to see a glimpse of me.

 

“GET AWAY!!!! MOOOOVE!!!! AWAY YOU FILTHY PAPARAZZI! GO GO GO!!!” Manager hyung bellowed and despite being not so big, he managed to clear the path. The crowd was crazy because I have been bumped into and got pushed so many times that I can feel the cut on my head just opened and started bleeding again. After minutes of pushing through the crowd, we successfully arrived inside the station. They immediately sat me down in a wheelchair and attended to my needs. Manager hyung wasted no time and shouted at the people inside the studio.

 

“What kind of security is that?! My stars and staff were pushed like they are in the middle of a freaking rock band concert!! You said you had it all safe for Sungyeol!! Liars!” Manager hyung hollered and our body guards were trying so hard to calm him down even I tried to console him but when he is on his strict manager hyung element, no one can snap him back unless……

 

“Myungsoo, please say Manager hyung’s girlfriend’s name to calm him down please. I don’t want to cause you guys any trouble especially him.” I whispered to Myungsoo. I remembered once when we are out drinking and Manager hyung was dead drunk and was so loud, I only mentioned Jihyo unnie’s name and he immediately calmed down. I hope it would work this time. Myungsoo then immediately went to Manager hyung’s side and whispered what I told him to whisper and thankfully it worked. Manager hyung looked at me with a grateful look and went to me to ask how I am doing. The doctor kept on examining every part of me and checking if there’s any pain or dizziness. Honestly my pain and dizziness were at a number 5 out of 10 but I need to power through to get this over with. I can’t prolong this emotional pain anymore because I am not the only one getting dragged into this. Curse that man.

 

I saw Yoo Jae Suk sunbaenim making a beeline towards me and flashed me a worried look.

 

“Sungyeol, are you sure you can do this? I mean I can beg them to just reschedule this. You need to rest, child.” he said worriedly and held my arm  to give it a squeeze of reassurance. I appreciate his concern and I know he meant well but the moment I stepped out of the vehicle, I was already determined to finish this interview.

 

“Thank you for your concern, sunbaenim. I can handle this. There’s nothing more relieving than telling the truth. Just like what they always say….. the truth will set me free.” I said weakly and gave him a smile to reassure him that everything’s okay and I am good to go. After a few more minutes of convincing, sunbae went back to the studio to practice his script. I am then transported to the studio as well and was placed on the couch with Myungsoo on my side and the doctor with Manager hyung just by the nearest cameraman so they could attend to me if and whenever the need arises.

 

And just like that the staff shouted that we’re live in

 

3

 

2

 

1

 

“Good day everyone! We are with Sungyeol and Myungsoo again for this special interview. Last time, we ended with quite a controversy and a bad call which unfortunately caused Sungyeol to be injured. In today’s episode, Sungyeol will answer your burning questions with complete honesty. Here with us today is his special someone, Myungsoo, to assist him the whole time to make sure that this interview won’t hinder Sungyeol’s recovery that much. We also have a doctor in the studio so to all Missus rest assured that Sungyeol and Myungsoo are at a safe place.” Yoo Jae Suk sunbaenim started.

 

“Let’s start with asking how Sungyeol is doing. These past few days must be so hard for you.” Yoo Jae Suk sunbaenim asked and I looked at Myungsoo before answering.

 

“It was. Probably the hardest time of my life aside from the time when my should-be father left us with no reason at all and now he decided to pop up like nothing happened and harrass me by insisting that we talk.” I said while gritting my teeth. I am obviously getting agitated as Myungsoo started massaging my leg to calm me down.

 

“I read the news about me and this situation of mine. The comments were nasty but thanks to our Missus out there, they showered me with get well cards and messages online and even trended #GetWellSoonSungyeol on a social media app. I wouldn’t be surviving this part of my life without them and Myungsoo. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank XX Hospital for taking care of me up until now and to my manager who has been the most supportive and caring. I am just really lucky to be surround by amazing people.” I said and stopped for a while to catch my breath.

 

“So let’s not drag this any further because we would like to let Sungyeol rest and recover as soon as possible. We just have one question that wanted to be answered and I know you already know what it is, Sungyeol.” Yoo Jae Suk sunbaenim said slowly and looked at me.

 

“Unfortunately I do. I’ve been trying to just forget about that part of my life and just live with my mother in peace. Honestly if I can just delete that chapter of my life maybe I would. The pain and the loss he has caused my mother is so immense I can’t even begin to tell about it. I don’t know where to … start.” I choked on the last word and just like that Myungsoo already has his hand in my back rubbing it to comfort me and handed me a bottle of water to drink. I can see in my peripheral vision that Manager hyung and the doctor shifted in their seats as if ready to run to my aid when ready. I smiled a little to show them that I was okay and looked back at the interviewer.

 

“Sungyeol-ssi, you can just tell us what you’re ready to tell. I know this is a very sensitive topic for you and your family.” Yoo Jae suk sunbaenim said.

 

“Thank you sunbae but I don’t plan on dwelling on this any longer. To put an end to all the speculations against me and my mother, I will tell the truth here. I can’t let strangers hurt my mother anymore. So here it goes… My father left us when I was a child with no proper explanation. Up until today I have no idea why he left us. My mother has no clue as well. I grew up with just my mom raising me. She got no family as well here in Seoul since she’s an only child and my grandparents were left in the province. She worked day and night to provide for me. She worked to the point of collapsing due to exhaustion. Back then I didn’t fully understand why she worked too hard and not rest at all and then eventually I realized she did that to distract herself from questioning her worth and why my father left us. Multiple times I heard my mom crying in her sleep and begging for my father to come back and questioning the heavens why all of this misfortunes happened to us. For years, she battled with depression while earning a living for me.” I narrated and stopped for a while as I feel the tears pooling in my eye threatening to fall down. Myungsoo handed me a handkerchief and I immediately wiped my tears and inhales a big breath before exhaling.

 

“That’s why I am really protective of my mother. Without her, I might not be here. And I just have to mention that the moment my life got better was when Myungsoo entered the scene. He really was the ray of sunshine my mother and I needed, and I don’t want to end our euphoria just because of the reason why we fell in damnation.” I said with finality.

 

“So after he left there really wasn’t even an attempt to reconnect from your father?” Yoo Jae Suk sunbaenim asked.

 

“None that I remember. The moment I can think on my own, I haven’t heard a single hi nor have I ever read a single letter from a mail from him. It’s like he totally cut us off so it’s really a big shock for me that now out of all the many chances he could’ve talked to us he chose the time when everything is finally falling into place.” I said.

 

“Some speculates that your father contacted you now for money since you are in the spotlight right now with multiple endorsements and contracts. What can you say about this?”

 

“As much as I hate him, my father would not need any money. My mother once told me that he was a renowned athlete in his high time so I guess that’s not it.”

 

“Really? That’s interesting. Do you think you’ll give him a chance to talk with you? To explain his side?” I felt Myungsoo inching closer to me as Yoo Jae Suk sunbaenim had now dropped that question I dreaded the most.

 

A huge part of me was screaming no but the kid inside me kept on pushing through with his curiosity and begging me to give him a chance. It took me almost two minutes to collect my thoughts and what I’m about to say next shocked not only me but also Myungsoo who quickly looked at me and gave me a shocked look. I heard Manager hyung gasped so audibly I swear it was heard in the camera.

 

“Maybe. I think we deserve an explanation. My mother and I.” I said simply.

 

“Would there be a happy ending in the story of your family?”

 

“With or without him, My mother and I along with Myungsoo is the life I want to have for the rest of my life.”

 

The interview ended with Yoo Jae Suk sunbaenim asking for a few more questions regarding the state of my mother currently and if there was any attempt from my father again to talk with us aside from the incident in my recent interview. I revealed that my father contacted me while I was in the hospital and that’s one of the things that pushed me to talk in this interview to finally shed light on the real happenings regarding that part of my life. I don’t enjoy sharing my personal life but in my line of work, it seems like it’s an inevitable thing.

 

After the interview, just as I was about to stand up and walk out, I collapsed.

 


a/n

 

these past few weeks have been so hectic so i apologize for the late update

don't worry i won't abandon this myungyeol fic <3

see you in the next chapter!