iii. call from the dead

Flashing Hearts

RECAP:

“Aigoo. You two kept on bickering since this morning. You’re more like a married couple than Sungyeol and I should be.” Myungsoo teased.

 

“Alright. Enough teasing and bickering. Go home now, kids. You deserve the rest.” hyung said and walked us to our car.

 

We went in the car and stayed there a few more minutes to drink in what just happened in a day. So this is what it feels like to be famous and popular. There really is no time to rest in between once the schedule takes off. I closed my eyes and heaved a sigh. We are tired but this is good tired because we are happy doing the things we are doing now. Myungsoo looked at me lovingly that I wasn’t able to stop myself from planting a soft kiss on his lips.

 

“Let’s go home now, baby.” I said while smiling.

 

“Okay, baby.” Myungsoo replied with the sweet smile that I fall in love for again and again.


 

SUNGYEOL'S POV

 

“Babe wake up! Babe!” Myungsoo kept on shaking me so I eventually woke up. Today is our day off so Myungsoo and I decided to go to the tiny house we usually go to at the countryside with the super nice ahjumma taking care of it. We always love going back to that tiny house because the view is to die for and ahjumma’s kimbaps are the best you could ever taste so we always request her to make lots of kimbap for us when we go there. Ahjumma also doesn’t know that her favorite guest couple are now a couple of superstars. I can’t wait to tell her the good news.

 

 

“I’m awake. What time is it?” I said groggily and Myungsoo got up from bed.

 

“It’s already six, babe. We planned on driving at six to avoid traffic but here we are. I also overslept because yesterday was tiring.” he pouted.

 

“Come lay with me for a few more minutes baby. We are already late anyway.” I teased but Myungsoo threw a pillow at me and we both laughed.

 

“Yah! You know I’ve been craving for ahjumma’s kimbap and I really want it now so get up and let’s wash up. Good thing that we already packed last night.” Myungsoo said and was on his way to our bathroom.

 

“Did you just ‘let’s wash up’? because I wouldn’t say no to that. Let’s wash together and save time!” I shot up from laying down and went after Myungsoo.

 

After a fun shower together (a/n *wink wink*), we dressed up, got our bags and went to the parking lot and thankfully after having a short conversation with the security, there were no longer paparazzi lurking around.

 

It is only a two hour drive so I decided to be the one driving the whole trip there even if Myungsoo insisted he’ll drive on the second hour. We just settled with him driving on our way back. The trip there was so relaxing because after we left the city, all we can see are trees and vast fields. We are both nature lovers so we also enjoy going on nature trips on our free time. Speaking of nature trips, we should really go into one after all the promotional fiasco ends.

 

“Babe? Sunggyu hyung just texted and congratulated us again. He said the Youtube interview was amazing and we’re naturals at answering questions.” Myungsoo who is on the passenger seat read the text on his phone. Sunggyu hyung is one of our very first actor friends. He has always rooted for us and believed in us so we really appreciate him taking the time to contact us despite his busy schedules. He actually is the real superstar. He has been in the spotlight for more than a decade now and his popularity isn’t wavering any time soon but despite the shine and glamour, he stayed humble and supportive. Did I mention that he is also a singer? Yes. He got it all and he is definitely our idol.

 

“What? It’s already up? We just finished filming it yesterday noon. Wow! Joan noona is really dedicated in her Youtube career. She was able to edit all that and post it on the same day? Why didn’t we know that.” I chuckled.

 

“Well, a text just came from Joan noona herself, she said she’s sorry she wasn’t able to inform us immediately that she’ll publish the video yesterday because she also wasn’t planning to do so but there has been an overwhelming number of tweets that demanded her to post the video immediately. She also said we hope we liked it.” Myungsoo said as he read another text.

 

“Wow wow wow! People really do love us a lot already. This is just amazing and the moment we arrive at the tiny house, we’ll watch the video and tell Joan noona our thoughts. Baby, reply back that we didn’t have the chance to watch it yet but we promise to watch it once we arrive in our destination.” I said as I continue to drive and Myungsoo busy responding to congratulatory texts both in his phone and mine.

 

“Babe. You’ve been saying wow too many times today. It might become your catch phrase.” Myungsoo teased and I laughed. While we are sharing a good laugh, my phone rang and I instructed Myungsoo to place it on the phone holder in the dashboard.

 

“Yoboseyo?” I said.

 

“Yeol-ah! Myungsoo-ah! How are things there? I just called to check up on you. You’re not getting in trouble are you?” the familiar voice of Manager hyung echoed inside our car.

 

“Hyung. Don’t you trust us?” I teased.

 

“Myungsoo, I trust but you? I don’t know, Yeol.” hyung teased back.

 

“You guys are at it again. Quit it.” Myungsoo scolded playfully.

 

“We’re just on our way to the tiny house that we always go to hyung. We’ll stay the whole day there and come back at midnight at our condo unit.” I informed hyung and he acknowledged and told us to call him if ever the need arises then he hung up. He is actually handling another artist which is his brother who’s an up and coming singer. His brother really has silky smooth voice which is perfect for rnb and he’s also really handsome so it’s no surprise that his brother is raking up views here and there which made hyung even busier than ever. Sometimes we wonder if he’ll leave us for his brother. I really don’t want to think about it.

 

After a few minutes, another phonecall went in and without any further thoughts, I clicked the answer button without looking at the caller ID.

 

“Yoboseyo?” I said but no one answered.

 

“Yoboseyo? If you’re not going to answer, I’ll just end the call.” I said with finality and was about to click end call when the caller spoke.

 

“Wait! Yeollie-ah.” the voice said and it felt like someone dumped a bucket of ice cold water in my head. That voice. I can’t forget that voice. I quickly hit the end call button. How the hell did he get my number? What’s his purpose? Why did he call? After all those years?

 

Thoughts are racing in my mind that I almost run us over a tree. Thankfully, Myungsoo grabbed the wheel and diverted our way and went back to the right way.

 

“Babe what the heck?! Stop the car. Let me drive.” Myungsoo said worriedly and just like a robot I drove to the side and stopped the car. I was visibly shaking so Myungsoo helped me out of the car and guided me to the passenger seat. He then closed my door and went to the driver’s seat.

 

“Babe, what’s wrong? Who is that?” Myungsoo looked at me worriedly.

 

“The ghost of my past.” I heaved a sigh.

 

“What? Who? Babe do you need anything? I am worried.” Myungsoo held my chin and made me face him. I have an indiscernible facial expression, something in between longing and terror. Myungsoo gave me a kiss on my forehead to calm me down and reached out for our stash of drinks in the backseat and handed me a bottled water. I drank the bottle at one go but still I am not muttering even a single word.

 

“Okay, take your time, babe. I’ll drive us to the cabin and maybe you could tell me everything about that person who just called. I am really worried.” Myungsoo said and finally started driving. We only have about 30 minutes left in our drive but since there is literally no one in the road with us right now, Myungsoo hit the gas like there’s no tomorrow.

 

We finally arrived at the tiny house and was greeted by ahjumma and in her hands is a plate with kimbap in it. She really knows how to welcome us. She enthusiastically smiled at our car parking in front of the tiny house. The car came on a full stop and Myungsoo looked at me. I still haven’t uttered a word ever since that cursed phone call.

 

“Baby, we’re here. Are you okay to go out or would you like to stay for a bit here? I’ll handle ahjumma.” Myungsoo nicely offered.

 

“N-No. I’m good to go. Let’s not keep ahjumma waiting. Thank you for your concern, baby.” I said simply and went out of the car.

 

“Aigoo! My favorite sons are back! Come! Come! I prepared lots of kimbap for the both of you. What took you so long? You promised to come back every month but you didn’t come back for almost a year. Ahjumma is mad.” ahjumma exclaimed and I immediately took the plate of kimbap off her hands and Myungsoo wrapped his arms around ahjumma to calm her down. She guided us inside the cabin and there we saw rolls after rolls of kimbap.

 

“Wow ahjumma! You really outdid yourself. You really missed us, huh?” Myungsoo chuckled and sat at the couch with ahjumma. I followed them and placed the plate I was holding beside the other plates of kimbap.

 

Myungsoo then proceeded on popping a kimbap in his mouth and starts chewing. I looked at his smiling face and ahjumma smiling widely while watching the love of my life and that jolted me to reality that I shouldn’t spend too much time brooding over the fact that my good for nothing father decided to come back to my life.

 

Yes. That voice. That ghost from my past is my father. He abandoned us when I was just three years old. I can still remember like it happened just yesterday how my mother begged on her knees and screamed for my father to come back. She screamed and screamed until her voice was practically broken and hoarse. A mere child like me don’t know what to do in that kind of situation so I tried so hard to calm her down by hugging her and wiping her tears but it didn’t help. She still cried until she passed out. We were lucky that my aunt was scheduled to go to our house anyway to visit so she found us both on the floor with me crying helplessly over my passed out mother.

 

The reason why he left us? Still a mystery and I don’t intend to know it anymore. I don’t care. I have no intention to let him explain. He was the reason why my mom wasn’t able to smile for years. He was the reason my loving mother shunned the world and stayed inside the house for years. He is the reason why I got no childhood friends and why I was barely known in our neighborhood. He ruined our lives and I won’t let him ruin what we worked so hard to fix, our lives.


 


a/n 

hey there! so we got some supporting characters again hmm i am still contemplating whether they'll still appear in the future chapters but who knows? it's just the beginning so as per usual, allow me to give you the visuals for today's chapter.

Joan noona a.k.a joanday on Youtube. i just love her so much so i suggest you watch her vlogs on youtube too and yes she's friends with a lot of celebrities including blackpink's rosieposie <3



and here is what manager hyung's brother looks like in my imagination i mean he got the vibe and screams charisma!!! here's an on and off stage kind of moment kkkk

  

and the tiny house that myungsoo and sungyeol stayed at looks a little something like this but imagine it to be modern-furnished inside. this was photographed by boohwanj on tumblr. you should check the blog out.
 

i hope you are enjoying the visuals i give you by the end of the story. 

UPVOTE. SUBSCRIBE. COMMENT