iv. bittersweet

Flashing Hearts

RECAP:
Yes. That voice. That ghost from my past is my father. He abandoned us when I was just three years old. I can still remember like it happened just yesterday how my mother begged on her knees and screamed for my father to come back. She screamed and screamed until her voice was practically broken and hoarse. A mere child like me don’t know what to do in that kind of situation so I tried so hard to calm her down by hugging her and wiping her tears but it didn’t help. She still cried until she passed out. We were lucky that my aunt was scheduled to go to our house anyway to visit so she found us both on the floor with me crying helplessly over my passed out mother.

 




SUNGYEOL’S POV

 

The trip to ahjumma’s tiny house is still worth it since the kimbap ahjumma made really made me feel better and Myungsoo was extra careful with me which I felt bad but I greatly appreciate him for being so understanding and caring the whole time. We spent the afternoon by the lake with him just singing me songs here and there because he knows that his voice never fails to calm me down. When it was time to go back, ahjumma tried to stop us and told us to spend the night but as much as we wanted to, we have another interview booked tomorrow and it was supposed to be from a show that is televised nationwide so Manager hyung said that it was a very big deal that we can’t miss. After a few minutes of convincing and good byes, Myungsoo and I drove back to our condo unit.

 

“Babe, would you like some canned soda?” Myungsoo said when he opened the refrigerator and I just nodded and smiled at him. He got me my favorite soda and handed it over to me. We sat down the couch and Myungsoo scooched over to me and placed his head on my shoulders.

 

“Myungsoo….. I am sorry.” I said softly.

 

“What for, babe?” he asked and looked at me worriedly.

 

“I’m sorry for ruining the only day off we have for the rest of the year. I-I didn’t expect that bastard to….” but before I even finish what I’m saying, Myungsoo planted a kiss on my lips. His lips are just so soft and intoxicating. He cupped my cheeks to deepen the kiss and tenderly slides it on my neck. I responded desperately and put down my can of soda on the side table and grabbed his waist to pull him closer. I gently pulled him even more so he’s already straddling me without breaking the kiss. He placed his hand at the back of my head and grabbed my hair while kissing me as passionate as he can be.

 

“I love you so much, Sungyeol. I am always here for you. Whatever your problem is, I will always be your shoulder to cry on. I will be with you every step of the way. You are not alone. Remember that. Hmm? It hurts to see you like this, babe.” he said with his eyes overflowing with concern. I already feel bad enough that I ruined our day off and now I even made him feel like I can’t confide to him. I think  really messed up.

 

“I’m sorry.” is the only thing I can utter and Myungsoo audibly sighed.

 

“Stop apologizing, babe. This isn’t your fault. You didn’t see this coming. Just know that I am here, okay?” Myungsoo softly said and I nodded before capturing his lips once again.

 

 

The next day ….

 

 

We both woke up pretty early today because we are both very nervous for today’s schedule and the hairstyle and make up team were set to come in our condo unit. Today, we’ll have a live interview with one of the most famous hosts in television and it will be televised live nationwide which is definitely nervewracking for a couple of rookies like us. Manager hyung opted to come to our condo to make sure that everything goes smoothly. If you ask me, I’d say he is more excited about this more than us. He is very supportive like that.

 

“Boys, I brought some hot tea to help calm your nerves. No coffee for now. You can drink coffee after this interview.” Manager hyung chuckled and handed us each a to-go cup of tea.

 

We wore what our character in the movie would usually wear and that’s a complete suit and tie for me and some fancy black shoes while Myungsoo wore comfy preppy clothes to mirror his character. To be honest, our movie characters and our real life personalities were quite the same as I can be very loud and kind of arrogant like the CEO I played in the movie and Myungsoo really is the reserved type of person that’s why this movie became a success because we really did it naturally and most reviews said that we didn’t look like we’re trying too hard to act.

 

“Sungyeol, as always you will be the first one to talk to maintain the dynamics of your characters. Myungsoo, you will then second Sungyeol’s statements but of course feel free to air out your comments and own views as this is supposed to be a fun interview.” Manager hyung prepped us and Myungsoo and I nodded and listened carefully to every word he said.

 

“Hyung, is it true that there would be a segment wherein our fans can call and ask us questions live?” Myungsoo asked nervously.

 

“Oh yes there is! That’s their most popular segment by the way and they already said that many Missus already tweeted that they will call during that segment and the channel is already overwhelmed and hope that their telephone line won’t crash.” Manager hyung said proudly.

 

“Baby, I know you’ll answer these questions better than I would. You can do the impromptu questions and I’d deal with the rehearsed ones.” I joked and Myungsoo chuckled. It’s been a while since the last time I laughed and it feels good.

 

“Alright then, I think you guys are already set and ready. You got this. It’s just another walk in the park. The people love you so don’t worry. Okay?” Manager hyung reassurred us and we both nodded.

 

After a few more minutes of preparation and pep talks, we finally went to the studio and was welcomed once again by a huge crowd of fans and media. We saw the familiar signs and now they even managed to make a headband with our faces on it. Missus really are so creative and the best fans in the whole wide world.

 

Myungsoo and I enthusiastically waved back at them as we enter the studio. Some screamed for our names while some just hollered and clapped for us. I stayed back for a bit and gave them a 90 degree bow before going completely inside. Manager hyung gave me a pat at the back and guided us inside our dressing room.

 

The vibe of the place screams professional and fast-paced because all we can hear are the hush tones of the staff directing the other workers where to go and what to do and the familiar sound of metal trollies carrying equipment. Once we were settled in the dressing room that looks straight out of a mental hospital because of its white walls and big mirrors, who I assume is in charge here immediately briefed us on what’s about to go down. We didn’t have much time to prepare mentally as they instruct us to quickly go to the studio as we are about to go live in like 15 minutes.

 

The staff guided us to the studio and there I saw the one and only Yoo Jaesuk. So he is the one who’s going to interview us. This just made this even more nerve wracking. I can tell that Myungsoo felt the same since he unconsciously intertwined his hand with mine which he usually does when he gets too nervous. Mr. Yoo smiled brightly at us and and pointed at our seats. It instantly made us feel at ease.

 

“Welcome to you two. Don’t be nervous and just relax. Let’s make this a fun interview, okay?” Mr. Yoo encouraged and Myungsoo and I smiled politely.

 

“Thank you, Mr. Yoo. It’s really an honor to be interviewed by you.” Myungsoo said softly and did a quick bow.

 

“Pleasure’s all mine. I watched your movie and I am really a fan so I am the lucky one here.” Mr. Yoo chuckled. I was about to reply when the director screamed that we have two minutes left and that we should sit properly and get ready.

 

3

 

2

 

1

 

We are now live.

 

 

“Good day, world! And welcome to yet another day with the hottest and viral people in the web. We are joined today by the trendiest couple as of the moment. They didn’t only break boundaries and walls in the film scene but in real life as well. Let us all welcome the couple who has been an inspiration to many, Lee Sungyeol and Kim Myungsoo or what their Missus would fondly call them, MyungYeol! Let’s give them a round of applause.” Mr. Yoo started the show with so much enthusiasm that we can’t help but feel the energy as well.

 

“Hello there, Sungyeol and Myungsoo. How have you guys been? I heard you guys just hit 1 million followers on Instagram. That’s a lot!” Mr. Yoo lively shared and we both nodded shyly.

 

“We are really thankful to all of our fans and to all the new ones who have discovered us through Love, Career and Everything that Comes Between. It has been an amazing journey so far.” I said simply and smiled.

 

“That movie. Wow! It’s just so amazing. The scene that I like the most is the moment you guys reunited. It made me feel so many things. Now, I won’t say any more. If you want to know what I’m talking about you better watch the movie while it’s still in cinemas near you. You’re missing out if you don’t watch it. Trust me.” Mr. Yoo addressed the audience with the last few sentences and we both nodded in approval.

 

“We are so happy that you enjoyed it Mr. Yoo. It’s really the best movie we made so far and that’s all thanks to our director and our amazing writers who are behind this beautiful masterpiece. Since we knew you were a big fan, Mr. Yoo, we prepared something of a surprise for you. Here’s a limited edition shirt that only the staff and the actors have. We also signed the back of it. We hope you like it.” Myungsoo handed the boxed gift we prepared which wrapped with gold foil paper. We can see that Mr. Yoo was genuinely shocked and happy about our little gift and he couldn’t stop thanking us.

 

“Woah! Now I really do feel like I am in a meet and greet with my idols. And since I am not the only one who deserves to be showered with love and kindness of these two beautiful people beside me, let us now proceed to the part that every Missus is waiting for me. It’s CALL ME, A STAR WILL ANSWER!” the whole studio exploded with applause and we can feel that everyone is excited. I saw Manager hyung jumping up and down on the side like an excited child.

 

“Let’s start with our first caller! Let’s see what our first question would be.” Mr. Yoo then started with entertaining the callers then Myungsoo and I took turns in answering their questions. Most of the callers started with expressing how much they adored and support us and it made us feel giddy and touched to be appreciated that much.

 

One question was so funny that even the staff in the background laughed. The caller asked whether Mr. Yoo is willing to be partnered up with either of us and he wittily replied that he’s good with just being our father or the funny uncle on the side. Myungsoo and I really enjoyed answering every question that was thrown at us because most of them are just innocent questions and some requests. My favorite requests was to snap a photo with Mr. Yoo and post it on Instagram which is really easy and I would really be honored to take a photograph with one of the most respected celebrities.

 

“We should really take that photo. Don’t you think? Anyway, I think this is the longest CALL ME, A STAR WILL ANSWER that we ever had in this show. As much as we want to entertain more requests and questions, our management would kill us and the show next to us so let’s have one final caller. Yoboseyo?!” Mr. Yoo called on the caller.

 

“N-Neh yoboseyo.” the voice said and the familiar gut-wrenching coldness washed over me. Myungsoo saw me stiffened and scooted over closer to me.

 

“Alright! You are the final lucky caller. Do you have any questions or any messages for Sungyeol and Myungsoo?” Mr. Yoo enthusiastically said.

 

“Yeollie-ah. Appa miss you so much. Come visit me, Yeollie-ah.” my father said and I don’t know what has gotten into me but I immediately stormed out of the studio and went straight to the dressing room. I clutched my hand on my chest since I can’t breathe properly anymore. The whole room appeared to be spinning already and the oxygen in the air was wearing thin. My vision slowly went blurry and dark until the last thing I heard was Manager hyung  calling out my name before I pass out completely.

  


a/n

how is everybody doing? haven't heard from you guys in a while

i really hope you guys are enjoying this story so far

see you in the next one!