It All Comes Out One Way or Another

A Wish I Made

When Eli came in to sleep on the bed he'd made on the floor for himself, Kevin pretended to be asleep. Eli's last words as he headed up the stairs were still looping in his head.

 

Maybe I wished for you...

 

No way. Is that even possible? That two people could find each other by wishing for the other one? I was six. I didn't know what I was getting into. Maybe I should talk to Dongho about this. What if he thinks I'm crazy though?

 

He rolled onto his back and stared at the ceiling in the darkness. He had been quite tired when they got back to Eli's but now it seems his mind was too busy to let him sleep peacefully. He threw off the blankets and carefully snuck over to the other side of the room to grab his cell phone and headed downstairs, trying not to wake Eli. Once downstairs he quickly called Dongho, although his fingers were shaking so much it took him three tries to punch in the right number.

 

“Hello?” Dongho's sleepy voice came over the other side, “Kevin? Do you know what time it is?”

 

“I'm sorry to call so late but I just needed someone to talk to. I'm freaking out right now,” Kevin replied trying to keep calm.

 

“What? Freaking out? What happened?”

 

Kevin sighed, “Dongho, you remember when we were kids and I slept over at your house and we wished for our perfect love?”

 

Dongho chuckled a bit, “yeah I do. The things I wished for. Wow.”

 

“What if they came true?”

 

“What are you talking about? Kevin you were six. We were just kids trying to do something I'd seen on TV. That stuff doesn't really work.”

 

“But what if it did?”

 

Dongho sighed, “okay. Tell me what happened.”

 

Kevin told him everything. From what he wished for to how they compared to Eli, the inner struggle he's been having with Kiseop, and the last line Eli said to cause him to freak out this much. After he was done explaining, Dongho was silent.

 

“Dongho? Dongho! Oh you better not have fallen asleep!”

 

“No I'm still here.”

 

“Then why the silence?”

 

“I'm trying to take it all in. Don't forget you did just wake me up. It could just be a coincidence. Or maybe you heard him wrong. Maybe he wasn't finished his sentence before you went upstairs. You know how your mind tends to blow things way out of proportion.”

 

“B-But...”

 

“Kevin listen to me. Go and get some sleep. It sounds like you had a very long and tiring day. When you come home tomorrow we'll talk about it, but you need some rest. Now go.”

 

“I can't sleep! That's why I'm calling you.”

 

Dongho sighed again, “okay. Don't think about this too much. Just put it out of your mind for now, get some rest and we'll worry about it tomorrow.”

 

Kevin sighed, “okay. You're right. I'll see you tomorrow.”

 

“Good night Kev,” Dongho hung up.

 

Kevin sighed again as he stared at the phone in his hand. He knew he couldn't sleep now even if he tried. He scrolled through his contacts, thinking about calling Kiseop, but closed his phone instead. He headed into the kitchen, flicked the light switch on the wall, and sat at the table to try and get some of his thoughts in order. For the first time in his life he actually felt scared. But what was he scared of? Was it Eli? Was it Kiseop? He didn't know.

 

He put his head down on the table as waves of mixed emotions washed over him. He didn't know how he should feel at that moment, but he felt the strong urge to cry. So he did. He cried like had never cried before in his life. He didn't even notice that Eli had woken up and come into the kitchen. He didn't notice until he felt strong arms wrap around him. He looked up trying to cover his face and wipe away his tears at the same time.

 

Eli lightly brushed his thumb across Kevin's cheek wiping away tears that seemed to be forming just as quickly. Kevin noticed how gentle his touch was, despite how upset he was. He felt himself calming down a little.

 

“Why are you crying?” Eli asked looking at Kevin.

 

Kevin sniffled a little, “I-I don't know. I just am.”

 

“Crying for no reason? I suppose it could happen.”

 

“Eli why are you so nice to me?” he asked looking at him, “I mean, it's not like I deserve it.”

 

Eli frowned, “what are you talking about? Did Kiseop tell you that?”

 

“W-well, he never did anything like this.”

 

“Then it's probably because he's not a nice person. That's what everyone has been trying to tell you. You deserve better than him.”

 

Kevin shook his head, “I'm a bad person. I don't deserve to be treated nicely.”

 

Eli shook his head, “where are you getting this from? You're not a bad person. Why would you say something like that?”

 

“If I'm not a bad person, then why did my parents disown me? Why won't they talk to me?”

 

Eli sighed, “because they were angry with each other. You made the decision to leave and I don't think that either of them can face what they put you through. I don't think they want to face it, but that doesn't make you a bad person. It was their decision, it didn't involve anything you did.”

 

“Why does Kiseop hang out with the popular girls? I have to be a bad person.”

 

“Kev we just went over that. That's his choice. He isn't good to you at all. It doesn't mean you're a bad person it just means, he's making the wrong choices, and blaming you for them.”

 

“So I-I'm not a bad person?”

 

“If you were a bad person, I wouldn't have become friends with you, but here you are in my house. That should tell you something.”

 

Kevin leaned into Eli and cried again. He doesn't know how long he cried for, but he knows that eventually Eli picked him up and carried him upstairs so they could both go back to sleep.