Arcade

A Wish I Made

The rest of the school day seemed to drag on. Kevin thought that time was just slowing down out of spite. Finally after what seemed endless the final bell rang to end the day. He gathered up his books once again and made his way down the hall to where his locker was. He saw Dongho there waiting for him already.

 

“Hey Dongho,” Kevin greeted as he set down his bag to open his locker.

 

“Hey,” Dongho leaned against the locker next to him, “so AJ and Hoon want to go to the arcade after school. You want to come?”

 

Kevin nodded as he saw Eli turning the corner, “is it okay if I invite someone?”

 

Dongho frowned, “you always invite Kiseop so you can stop asking.”

 

Kevin shook his head, “Eli.”

 

Dongho's eyebrows went up with surprise, “oh Eli? Yeah sure. He can come too. After all I missed the lunch scene. I wish I had been there.”

 

Kevin smiled and grabbed his jacket from his locker before closing it. He picked up his bag and made his way over to Eli's locker. He suddenly felt very nervous. He cleared his throat a little.

 

Eli turned seeing Kevin standing behind him, “oh hi Kevin. What's up?”

 

“H-hi,” he replied feeling even more nervous, “I-I was wondering i-if you want to come to the arcade with us?”

 

“Arcade?” Eli echoed as he checked his watch, “sure. I can go for a while.”

 

Kevin smiled, “okay. We'll meet you downstairs by the front door.”

 

He walked back over to Dongho and the two of them started walking down the stairs to the front door where Soohyun, AJ and Hoon were waiting. Kevin was almost relieved not to see Kiseop there. He guessed he was probably still at the hospital for his nose.

 

“We're still waiting for one more person,” Dongho announced when they reached the group.

 

“Tell me it's not Kiseop,” AJ muttered and rolled his eyes, “no offence Kev.”

 

Kevin shook his head, “none taken, and it's not Kiseop. It's Eli.”

 

“Really? You invited Eli and not Kiseop?” Hoon cheered, “wait. Are you sick?”

 

“I was just as surprised,” Dongho put in, “but I witnessed it so it has to be legit.”

 

Kevin looked up as Eli came down the stairs and over to the rest of the group, “am I late?”

 

Kevin shook his head, “right on time.”

 

The group left the building and started making their way down the street laughing an talking the entire way. Soohyun and Dongho would make flirty remarks and AJ would make gagging noises which would cause Hoon to get the urge to hit him. Eli and Kevin hung back from the group a little since there wasn't enough room on the sidewalk to be walking all together.

 

“Is it always like this?” Eli asked looking over at Kevin.

 

“Usually when Kiseop's not here it is. I guess that means they like you more than him.”

 

“Well I feel privileged,” he replied and kept walking while watching the others in front of him.

 

They finally came up to the arcade and went inside. Kevin knew that the only reason Dongho went along was because he liked to see Soohyun win things for him. He only went along to spend time with his friends. He looked over and saw AJ and Hoon already at one of the racing games trying to beat each other. He smiled to himself. He realized how lucky he was to have such great friends, and now that Eli was in the group, it would only get better. He went over and sat on one of the stools with Dongho who was watching an air hockey match between Soohyun and Eli.

 

“Who's winning?” Kevin asked as he sat down next to him.

 

“It's a tie,” Dongho replied, “normally Soohyun would cream Kiseop at this but I think he likes having some competition with Eli here.”

 

Kevin glanced over and watched the match. They were evenly matched. It was almost like every move one made the other one had another one ready to block it. It was quite intense.

 

“How about AJ and Hoon today?” Kevin asked still watching the match.

 

Dongho rolled his eyes, “as competitive as ever. Although AJ's winning today. I think Hoon's a bit distracted. I noticed it a bit this morning but I think it's even worse now.”

 

Kevin frowned, “that's not like him at all. Maybe I should go talk to him. You keep an eye on these two.”

 

Dongho nodded and returned his gaze back to the match. Kevin came over to Hoon who was alone for the moment, “hey Hoon.”

 

“Hey,” he replied trying to fake smile. Kevin saw right through it.

 

“What's wrong? You seem distracted today.”

 

Hoon looked down, “you noticed?”

 

Kevin nodded, “and Dongho did too.”

 

He sighed and leaned against the wall, “my sister's sick.”

 

“Sick?” he leaned on the wall beside him, “how sick?”

 

Hoon shook his head, “I don't know. My parents won't tell me anything. She went into the hospital this morning and they're keeping her there for tests.”

 

“I'm sure she'll be okay,” Kevin tried to comfort him.

 

“Just don't tell anyone okay?”

 

Kevin nodded, “of course. I might tell Dongho but that's it.”

 

Hoon smiled, “thank you. So seems Soohyun finally has some decent competition huh?”

 

Kevin nodded and looked over at the match. It was still a tie. A few minutes later the tie was broken by Soohyun and the game ended.

 

Dongho jumped off his stool and ran over to him, “wow Soohyun that was amazing. I knew you would win!”

 

“I wasn't sure there for a while. You play well Eli,” Soohyun replied looking at him.

 

Eli smirked a bit, “call it something of a hobby. My parents had an air hockey table in the basement so I was always playing it.”

 

“I want ice cream,” Dongho pouted and tugged on Soohyun's arm lightly, “you owe me from last time.”

 

Soohyun nodded, “you're right. I do owe you.”

 

Kevin smiled and shook his head as he watched Dongho and Soohyun walk across the street to get some ice cream. Dongho always knew how to get his way with him. He could probably ask him for a car and he would give in.