The Story of an Omlette

A Wish I Made

Kevin woke up the next morning smelling something yummy. He looked over and saw that Eli wasn't there. Did he really get up early to make me breakfast? This guy is unbelievable. Any girl would be so lucky to have him. Plenty of girls must've went after him, so why isn't he with one?

 

He got up and wandered downstairs to where the kitchen was more of a mess than it was last night. He must've looked through every box to find what he needed. Kevin was still baffled. Kiseop would never think of going these lengths for him. So why was Eli?

 

Eli turned and saw Kevin standing there. He smiled a little, “oh good you're awake.”

 

Kevin yawned and rubbed his eyes, “yeah barely. What are you making?”

 

“I'm not sure...”

 

“You're not sure?” Kevin echoed, “how is that possible?”

 

“Well it started out as eggs, then an omlette and now it looks a bit scrambled. Apparently I'm not very good at this.”

 

Kevin laughed a little, “I told you that you didn't have to do this.”

 

“And I told you I wanted to,” Eli replied, “so here we are.”

 

“Is it even edible?” Kevin questioned looking at the frying pan.

 

“I'm sure it's edible. It just doesn't look very presentable.”

 

Kevin giggled, “okay. I'll take your word for it. If I get food poisoning and die though, I'm coming back to haunt you.”

 

“That I could get used to.”

 

He grabbed a plate and scooped out the now scrambled eggs onto a plate and handed it to him, “I got some crates set up that we can use as chairs for now. I have no idea where the chairs are.”

 

Kevin took the plate and smiled a little. He headed over to where the plastic crates had been turned upside down. He sat down on one and took a bite of the eggs. They might've been a mess but they were amazing. Eli came and sat down across from him on the other crate a few minutes later.

 

“How is it?” he asked looking over at him, “do you think you'll die from food poisoning?”

 

Kevin smiled, “these are amazing! Where did you learn to cook like this?”

 

Eli shrugged, “messing around I guess. I'm on my own a lot since my parents work all the time so I had to start learning.”

 

“That sounds lonely.”

 

Eli shook his head, “not really. I'm used to it by now. What about you?”

 

“I live with Dongho,” he replied, “I have for a while now. My parents split up when I was younger and fought over me then dragged me to two separate cities. I didn't adjust very well.”

 

“Do you still talk to them?”

 

Kevin shook his head, “not really. I made the choice to leave and they took it as I didn't want to be their son anymore. I have tried calling them but they never want to talk to me.”

 

“That sounds lonelier than me.”

 

Kevin forced a smile and shook his head, “not really because I have Dongho and his family. They treat me like their own, and I also have my friends, and... Kiseop.”

 

“Don't take this the wrong way but I think you can do way better than him,” Eli said through a mouthful of eggs.

 

Kevin looked down a little, “everyone says that. What about you? I'm sure you had a girlfriend that you probably left behind. Do you miss her?”

 

Eli laughed and shook his head, “no girlfriend. Sorry to disappoint you.”

 

He almost dropped his plate, “what? Seriously? A guy like you doesn't have a girlfriend?”

 

Eli shook his head again, “it never felt right. So I just never bothered. Is something ringing?”

 

Kevin listened carefully. It was his cell phone. He quickly got up and ran to Eli's room where it was still in the pocket of his jeans. He picked it up, “Dongho I'm sorry I forgot to call but it was storming last night really bad.”

 

“Well I'm glad you're okay. I saw the storm and waited up to see if you were going to come home looking like a wet dog,” he replied, “actually I was kidding. I went over to Soohyun's. Where are you anyways?”

 

“At Eli's,” he replied feeling his face heat up, “he didn't want me to walk home in the storm so he pretty much made me stay the night.”

 

“Lucky,” Dongho whined, “I wanted to stay at Soohyun's last night but he had to study for exams so he drove me home. So boring.”

 

“I'm sure you'll be seeing more of him when exams are done,” Kevin replied.

 

“I think I'll be seeing a lot more of Eli around the house,” Dongho put in, “which might be nice considering I always see Kiseop.”

 

Kevin rolled his eyes, “I have to go. I'll call you later.”

 

“Spare me the details, but try not to have too much fun,” Dongho teased.

 

“Bye Dongho,” Kevin hung up and made his way back to the kitchen, “it was just Dongho checking to make sure I didn't drown last night.”

 

“Drowning would be bad,” Eli replied, “so where did you want to go today?”

 

“Um...” Kevin thought for a minute, “well, I don't know. What were you hoping to do yesterday?”

 

Eli shrugged, “I'm not from here remember? What do you guys do for fun?”

 

“Well we go to the arcade which we did. We can... go to the park and have a picnic! Unless that's lame. Everyone else thinks it's lame so that's why I've never had one,” he babbled.

 

“That might be nice. I've never had a picnic before.”

 

Kevin looked over at him, “you don't think it's lame? You really want to?”

 

Eli nodded, “yeah. Maybe we could make it later in the evening though since it'll be a bit cooler.”

 

Why was he trying to make it sound like a romantic date? Was it? No brain stop it. You're overreacting once again. He probably just likes the evening better so the afternoon sun isn't killing both of us from the intense heat. He looked down to the floor where movement by his foot caught his attention. A spider! He shrieked and jumped up on the crate to get him off the floor.

 

Eli looked over, “what?”

 

Kevin pointed to the floor, “s-spider. I-I hate them.”

 

Eli got up, grabbed an empty water bottle and steered the spider into it. He put the lid on and tossed it aside, “problem solved. Must've been hiding in one of the boxes.”

 

He jumped off the crate and hugged Eli.

 

“You really hate them that much?” Eli asked surprised a bit by the hug.

 

Kevin nodded, “yeah.”

 

“Well it won't bother you now. What do you say we get dressed and go get some food for our picnic tonight?”

 

Kevin nodded, “okay.”

 

“I'll just clean up the kitchen a bit.”

 

Kevin ran up the stairs. He almost didn't want to take off the hoodie. It felt so warm and every now and then he could smell Eli on it. He took it off though and put on his regular clothes and headed back down to the kitchen, “Eli?”

 

Eli looked up at him, “yeah?”

 

“Can we stop by my house first so I can get different clothes?”

 

Eli smiled, “sure. Then next time I find you asleep, I'll know where to bring you.”