Sleepover at Dongho's

A Wish I Made

Kevin sat up in his sleeping bag hearing a noise in the corner. He hoped Dongho wasn't trying to scare him again.

 

Maybe we shouldn't have watched that really scary movie before going to sleep. That might've been a really bad idea.

 

He carefully got up and peered over Dongho's bed with part of his sleeping bag covering his face. He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw Dongho sitting at his desk writing something. He came over to him.

 

“What are you doing? We're supposed to be sleeping,” Kevin whispered, “I don't want us to get in trouble.”

 

“Shhh!” Dongho put a finger to his lips, “if we're quiet then we won't get caught.”

 

“What are you doing?” Kevin asked him again.

 

Dongho smiled a little, “I'm writing a wish for my perfect love.”

 

“Does it work?” he asked as his eyes grew wide with excitement.

 

The other boy shrugged, “I don't know. I just saw it on TV and wanted to try it. Do you want to try it?”

 

Kevin nodded, “yeah. It sounds like fun.”

 

Dongho grabbed his box of crayons and set them on the floor for Kevin and also gave him a blank piece of paper.

 

Kevin went through the crayon box and picked out his favorite blue crayon, “what do we do?”

 

“Write down things you want them to be like.”

 

Kevin frowned, “but how? What does yours say?”

 

“Don't laugh okay?”

 

Kevin shook his head, “I won't laugh. I promise.”

 

“I want them to be a superhero and save people and fight monsters.”

 

Kevin smiled.

 

“Hey! You said you wouldn't laugh!”

 

“I didn't. I smiled.”

 

“What are you going to write Kevin?” Dongho leaned over the back of the chair to look at him.

 

Kevin shrugged, “I don't know. It can be anything right?”

 

Dongho nodded, “anything at all.”

 

Kevin picked up his blue crayon and started writing whatever came to his mind.

 

Likes the color purple, can fight monsters, always wants to give hugs to me, smiles a lot, will always make me feel special,

 

His eyes teared up a bit as he thought of his parents that were getting a divorce and throwing Kevin in the middle of their fights. He wanted it to stop. He didn't want to be living at two different houses. He wanted to know why but they never gave him any answers, so he thought it was his fault.

 

Dongho looked over at his friend on the floor again and saw that there were tears hitting his carpet. He jumped off the desk chair and came over to Kevin, “Kevin what's wrong? Is it your parents again?”

 

Kevin nodded and he tried to wipe away the tears that were coming just as quickly, “it's my fault isn't Dongho? Is that why they won't tell me why everything is going on the way it is?”

 

Dongho hugged his friend, “I don't know. We can ask my mom about it tomorrow. She's a grown up so maybe she'll have an answer for you.”

 

Kevin nodded and added one final item to his list. They will always be with me. He folded up his piece of paper just like Dongho had done a few moments before, “I'm done.”

 

Dongho nodded, “okay. Now we go outside.”

 

Kevin got up and followed his friend down the hall to the front door. They got outside and were greeted by the coolness of the night air touching their skin. Kevin heard an owl in the distance somewhere.

 

“Hoot hoot!” He heard Dongho call back and saw him ripping his paper into little tiny pieces. He started to do the same to his own.

 

“Why are we ripping them?”

 

“So it's like a puzzle. When whoever is in charge of this sort of thing finds all the pieces they can put it together and there aren't any mistakes.” Dongho opened his hands and Kevin watched as the wind picked up the tiny pieces and carried them off, scattering them in all different directions.

 

He walked over beside Dongho and did the same. He watched the blue crayoned pieces fly over and around in the wind sometimes passing Dongho's pieces. It was like a big mixing bowl.

 

Kevin stared off as the pieces got smaller and smaller. Then they were gone from his sight.

 

I wish for my perfect love. I wish with all my might. Please become real.