WS, WB, MS: Not a .45 or .44 Magnum

Mamamoo Oneshot Anthology
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Prompt: was wheein wearing her cop fit during trash perf vid (if i remember right) and byulyi's yt vid in a shooting range. Idk how I came up with 3k words oneshot either. Idk what I wrote either. Idk anything!

 

-

 

“Captain Kim.” Wheein knocks at the door, opening it slowly. “Permission to come in?” She’s not asking for permission, it’s all pleasantries—

 

“Permission denied.” The captain of the precinct deadpans, already knowing that the young prodigy, the youngest to reach uniformed sergeant— the perfect child of the law, as they call her, does not and will not give a .

 

She may disobey direct orders but the intellectual and very immature child she is, upholds the spirit— underlying principles of the law. She’s not one to take anything literally, which irritated the captain at first.

 

Because that’s how the captain turned the irresponsible, responsible. Just blatant literal and irrefutable logic. And the childish nuisance— bundle of unseriousness that she wanted to break and make through a brutally long and intricate plan is truly testing her patience.

 

An unknowingly mutual growth.

 

As the sergeant stands up straight before her— or as straight as she can, with her dimpled smile and unserious aura. It lightens the mood that captain Kim didn’t know needed any… lightening.

 

“So,” The captain removes her reading glasses, puts aside paperwork— the manchild before her is enough work as it is. “Did staring at an unchanging rock in a white-walled room for two hours work?”

 

“All I know is staring at such a dumb gray empty useless piece of stone inside a colorless, dry, and empty of any life and inspiration filled me with so much vigor, rage, and need of anything challenging that I want to solve the case—” Wheein stops her rambling, just quick enough to realize and not stutter, not fast enough for the captain to go unnoticed as she sits back on her swivel chair in an amused smile.

 

“And now, I see that was your plan all along.” Wheein smiles— that was a true torture for her intellect. Something that comes so naturally to her, until an invisible block she can’t break through plummets her into a slump.

 

The Captain obviously noticed and took it as a chance to… well,

 

“Jung. What is the meaning of this?” Captain Kim’s voice echoes the precinct. All the attention on her and the newly promoted sergeant. She threw a worn out shoulder-holster with… a canister filled with whiskey inside, instead of a gun.

 

“My coffee.” Disrespect— the sergeant, Wheein was not even in uniform, wearing her old lower ranked detective clothes, she was not in the mood. Seething at the end of her answer.

 

“Irish. Coffee?” The captain’s voice was slower, loud, clear— demanding and angry. Hands opening the canister, showing it to the owner.

 

The very brave owner who— drinks it in front of her boss. Bringing coffee infused alcohol, whiskey, specifically, to the precinct and drink in front of her boss?

 

The air of the precinct is tense, people are watching— listening in on silence as they try their best to work but watch such a scene unfold.

 

Oh, and it was all too easy— all too good for Captain Kim Yongsun to finally break and make this manchild; her own reluctance to grow up hindering her from her own true potential. A greatness the captain just needs to witness.

 

“Drinking and not wearing your uniform?” The captain had a vicious snarl to her voice, but she smiles—chin going up as she looks down at the sergeant with an all too condescending grin.


“Meet me in my office and don’t forget your gun and badge.” A phrase everyone knows all too well. An end all be all call the boss of the precinct can do— and have always done.

 

The favorite child of the precinct has run out of exceptions, luck, and free passes from the brutal, tenured, and respected Captain.

 

And Jung Wheein was scared– for the first time of her life. And she’d been in a gunfight multiple times.

 

In the captain’s closed blinds office, Jung Wheein— a sergeant, hopefully still one, puts down her badge and gun. Standing in salute before the seemingly fuming but also silently calm captain.

 

The captain gets something from her desk— a rock?

 

“If you survive for more than an hour in the newly painted white room in this building, only having this rock with you; then you get your sergeant status, badge, and gun back.”

 

-

 

Wheein sees the captain smile in… was she proud of her? She can’t tell but the smile is all too contagious, “I should tell everyone in the precinct you like theatrics and drama, captain.”

 

“Oh I do, I did lead in multiple plays back in the academy.” The captain gets a badge, a holster with a pistol on it, puts it on her desk then she wears her frames again.

 

Now that made Wheein eyes threaten to leap out of their sockets. Now that was an overshare— a TMI.

 

“No way.” Wheein let out.

 

“Yes, and I only shared because…” The captain stands, getting Wheein’s old status with her, going around her desk. Face to face with the renowned sergeant. “No one,” She pauses, voice going lower— smoother, teasing and almost a whisper. “Will ever believe you.”

 

And with that the sergeant got her badge— her pistol— her intellect and willpower back. As she’s red in the face, gulping at— what the was that?

 

“Are you free this saturday?” The Captain asks, she’s frozen and focusing on her things as she hasn’t been dismissed.

 

For what?!

 

“Yes, I am Capt. Kimnie.”

 

Oops. The secret nickname slipped out.

 

“Good, meet me here in fifteen hundred hours. See you then. No need for uniforms and weapons. And,” The captain finally looks at her, frame low on her nose as she does. “Do not call me that ever again.”

 

Wheein opens to speak— to joke, excuse and lighten the moo—

 

“Especially on saturday, Call me, Yongsun.”

 

What the .

 

“Okay— captain. Where are we going?”

 

“Shooting range. Given you are no longer a detective and are the sergeant of the precinct, you do not have anyone but me above you.”

 

“No offense Cap,” Wheein chuckles, her hands on her neck scratching the suddenly itchy nape— maybe a bit scared at what her captain is getting at. “But I don’t need back up.”

 

“It is not called ‘backup.’” The captain sits on her chair. Rolls it closer to her desk. “It’s called babysitting. To ensure your precision did not worsen after the avoidable weeklong slump and two-hour rock-staring.” Captain Kim smiles, framed and double-dimpled.

 

“You have an operation next week, do you not?” Captain Kim realigns her frames and puts back her paperwork. Dismissal time is apparent for Sergeant Jung Wheein.

 

“Yes, I do.” Jung Wheein, that does not sound right. Jung Wheein, don’t laugh. This is not a marriage don't imagine exchange of—

 

“Dismissed.” Captain Kim was now facing her paperworks, done with the sergeant. And as Wheein starts to walk out, twist the knob—

 

“Close the door on your way out, Wheenie.”

 

-

 

Saturday has arrived. Saturday is here. Today is saturday.

 

At this moment, it is— you guessed it,

 

Satur— she’s late. She’s late because she does not know what to wear.

 

The true crime she never fails to solve. Suspects: Indecisiveness, never planning, the alcohol and hotpot Hyejin prepared last night—

 

“Jinnie! Please, help me…”

 

“I thought you’re a big shot young prodigy cop? Why can’t you decide what to wear for a shooting range?” Hyejin, her lovely roommate was on her bed. Completely unhelpful. “Literally that’s all you do.”

 

“We solve crime too.”

 

“Yet crime persits.” Hyejin woes, dramatics for show. Just cause.

 

Wheein sighs. She does not know nor did she prepare, what to even prepare for her saturdate— saturday, DAY with Capt Kimnie— Yongsun.

 

Yes. Everything is . But it’s fine.

 

The precinct is just down the block and pinterest exists for fit ideas. Except who— how the hell do you search “what should I wear on a shooting range” without getting cowboy cosplay or— copious ads for cop costumes?

 

“What should I search for in Pinterest?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter