-14-

Mosquito
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

People come into your life by accident, but there'll always be somebody who stays on purpose -

 

 

Seungwan’s checkup showed that her injuries are healing nicely.

Some nursing is still needed, but she won’t need to stay hospitalized for much longer.

Seungwan doesn’t know if she should be happy or disappointed. She should be happy that there were no complications to her injury and that she wouldn’t need to worry too much about her body anymore, but all she feels inside is sadness when she thinks back to when Joohyun told her to never see her again after getting out of the hospital.

She thought this would be as low as her mood would sink today, but she could not have anticipated an even deeper fall into the abyss later on.

 

When Seungwan returned to her room, Sooyoung was already waiting for her inside.

“Unnie, why do you look so depressed? Did a bone grow back the wrong way?”

“No, my bones are fine, I’m just feeling a little down.”

“Did something happen?”

“It won’t be long until I’ll be discharged…”

“Isn’t that a good thing… oh, you’re afraid that you won’t be able to stick to Chief Bae anymore.”

“Seungwan!”

Before she could give a reply to Sooyoung, a scurrying Sunmi rushed inside the room.

“Chief Lee? What brings you here?”

Sooyoung perfectly relayed their scripted dialogue, her surprised expression well-rehearsed.

“I’ve just got word from the personnel department, Joohyun resigned from her position!”

“What?!”

“I called her phone but nobody was picking up, so I rushed over here to see what’s going on. I passed by Seungwan’s room and found you guys. Do you know what happened to her?”

“I have no idea! Let’s go see her together.”

The two of them were almost out the door before they realized that Seungwan didn’t follow behind.

“What are you doing Seungwan?”

“…do you think that she resigned because she didn’t want to see me again…?”

“…that’s impossible! There’s no way that that workaholic would just ditch her job and the money she was making because of you.”

Sunmi and Sooyoung went back to Seungwan and each took an arm and carried Seungwan to Joohyun’s room.

 

Unsurprisingly, when they stepped into the room, the trio saw a glassy-eyed Joohyun on the bed and beside her a weeping Yongsun who had just finished applying the eye drops that they had prepared.

When Yongsun noticed them arriving, she swiftly stood up and grabbed Seungwan by the collar.

“SON SEUNGWAN! I’LL MAKE SURE THAT YOU PAY WITH YOUR LIFE!”

Sunmi and Sooyoung quickly stepped in between them and with some great effort (acting) separated the two.

“CEO Kim, let’s be civil! What happened?”

Yongsun glared at Seungwan for a moment, and only revealed after calming down a little:

“The doctors checked on Joohyun this afternoon and said her condition has drastically worsened. There’s a good chance that she won’t be able to walk again for the rest of her life.”

“What?!”

“There has been no signs of recovery in her lower body, she couldn’t feel anything down there at all. She might be forever confined to a wheelchair.”

The stage has been set. As if in sync, the three actors sneaked a glance at Seungwan, who just stared blankly at Joohyun, her face pale and expressionless.

Just then, Joohyun who has been silent this whole time spoke up.

 

“You should leave, I probably don’t have anything of value to you anymore.”

Seungwan finally reacted. She walked slowly beside Joohyun’s bed and knelt.

“It’ll be okay. Everything will be okay.”

Seungwan’s tears fell uncontrollably, drenching her hospital gown.

“Son Seungwan, do you not understand? I’m paralyzed. I won’t be able to feel a thing in my lower body, I won’t be able to feel a thing for the rest of my life!”

“Then I’ll take care of you for the rest of your life.”

“Why bother? Aren’t you only interested in having with me? I can’t do that with you anymore, you don’t have to pester me any longer.”

To the other three actors who have become the audience, Joohyun’s outburst seemed to come from the heart and not simply an act. Joohyun wanted to know Seungwan’s true intentions as well, she did not want someone that was only interested in her body.

“That’s not true. I love you, all of you. I’ve made so many mistakes, I didn’t know how to treasure what we had together, because of my indecisiveness I’ve hurt you again and again, which led to you forgetting about me, and hating me, and I deserved every bit of it. But even though you can’t remember who I am anymore, even if you never remember me again, it’s alright with me. Please let me take care of you… I should have been responsible for you from the start.”

Joohyun listened to Seungwan’s confession and her heart was truly touched. The words ‘I love you too!’ almost came out of , but when Seungwan mentioned the word ‘responsibility,’ it was like opening an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter