CHAPTER 7: How Hyejin and Yongsun got MVB (Most Valuable Besties)

Do you remember?
Please log in to read the full chapter

Fourth Quarter is finally trying to greet the students as the previous one just breezed through everyone. It didn't smoothly breeze through, students had to catch up with projects that were dumped into their faces all at once. Actually- it wasn't a breeze, it was a slap in the face.

 

Was it painful? Yes, totally- holy was it bad.

 

What's worse though, isn't even academically related. No, it was lunch related. As in our lovable quartet's usually boisterous and messy lunch squabbles have all been reduced. Reduced to grumbling nonsense, utensils screaming, grunting noises, and stolen glances between two people.

 

Leaving the other two absolutely annoyed. Annoyed that their besties may have been the cringiest- most awkward- most frustrating- and completely utterly oblivious pining idiots. It almost feels like they were destiny, the ones in control of their besties’ idiotically probably fated young love. As if they are responsible to get their besties together because they obviously can’t on their own.

 

Hyejin and Yongsun were the ones supposed to connect the dots for their two -not really- airheaded best friends. The reason why everything's weird, awkward, and just a complete question mark for our walking lamp post and Wheeinie the pooh is because of the duet. Well, the aftermath it resulted to.

 

It has been a long time after that week of dance competitions. The article (we thank Yongsun for this) about their dance, their supposed story- winning over (more like securing) the favor of their own student body. Which was already obvious but what was unforeseen was how the article was received by the other competing schools.

 

Was it good news? They honestly couldn't tell.

 

Some were against the theme, some were against the story as a whole, some were just against losing. Some argue things like “They’re young. Why is this their theme! This is too explicit for teenagers!” Some would argue back, “It’s just a dance, a performance, a tale, calm down. Don’t think weird that didn’t happen weirdo.”

 

But the majority? Well, the majority might have just started an organization.

 

It was an inside joke at first, to ship the two of them. It was just a joke and a reference to their performance. Then an inside joke grew within multiple groups- wheebyulers as they call themselves. A cult some would even say.

 

This begs the question of how did the two most obviously oblivious pining duo react?

 

The performers of the devil and the woman? The resident girl crush and the most respected ace? The tall -but not really- loverboss and the most precious -but not youngest- baby?

 

It’s all Elementary, Hyejin-ah, Yongsun would say as if Hyejin was Watson. No , sherlock. Hyejin would quip back. They’ve talked about this.

 

Multiple times that it felt less like talking and more like ing.

 

But Hyejin's an observer, a silent listener that has the softest -secret- spot for her oblivious best friend. And she’s developing another soft spot for the walking sunshine that might be overly critical and too much around the edges.

 

But true to her observant nature, Hyejin know’s that being overbearingly bright is just the tip of the iceberg for Yongsunnie. Her keen eye to see what’s underneath facades, what gazes entail, what words actually mean are all hidden in her unbothered demeanor.

 

"They're being idiots!" Yongsun told her. "They think they're supposed to be a thing because people told them to. Because people want them to be. I'm not saying they shouldn't- for all I care they could date but I don't want it- Hyejin-ah. I don't want them to be a thing because of other people making stuff up from their performance and- and my article."

 

Hyejin continued to sip her banana milk as Yongsun was already going crazy with responsibilities and also trying so hard not to blame herself.

 

"Yongsunnie, you just wrote about their concept. The story of their dance. Not about them. Why does it feel like you're blaming yourself? You did what the school asked of you. You didn't manipulate or brainwash them into thinking they should be attracted to each other." Hyejin answered as she flattened the box of her empty drink.

 

Yongsun has been acting real bothered lately. Adding to the already awkward thick and tense atmosphere their lunch table has adapted to. Obviously Hyejin doesn’t just strike the match and address a problem face-first. That’s Wheein’s style. (also known as: Explosive, Up in your face, A lot harder than it should be)

 

Her style is a lot slower, a lot less head on, and a lot more relative. Like a flower helping an ecosystem’s stability by preventing soil erosion and cleansing water. (also known as: Delicate, Guiding, A lot simpler for Hyejin)

 

"Besides, have you seen them during class? Even before the competition, during the time they were excused for training, they were already acting differently. Like- they find each other..."

 

Hyejin paused, thinking of the perfect word while Yongsun was still pacing around.

 

"Like they found their match?" Hyejin's words were electricity and Yongsun was a human-sized light bulb because she suddenly lit up.

 

Her brain is devising another plan. And her plan involves gathering information. Data gathering much like the thesis these two were supposed to be doing.

 

Going back to lunch being uncharacteristically silent.

 

Yongsun and Hyejin -despite the looming thesis they've been carrying- are scheming something. While Wheein and Byulyi are too busy being teenagers in front of their crush.

 

 

Mess. Absolute mess.

 

Everything might as well be on fire. Because tomorrow is Monday and the start of the final quarter. In a few weeks- the most awaited and intense cheer dance competition training starts.

 

The reason for things being a complete mess is because Wheein was with Hyejin, just their usual Sundays- until Hyejin popped a question. A very relevant -according to her but Wheein will deny it- question of "How are you and Byulyi-unnie?"

 

Upon hearing such a preposterous question, Jung Wheein imitated how chameleons change through various colors and appearances in a split second.

 

Wheein, still red on the cheeks, coughs to compose herself enough to answer. "We're fine. Everything's norMAL." Damn vocal chords. She squeaked out the last syllable and was preparing for Hyejin's teasing and laughter.

 

Which didn't come. Making Wheein confused and silent. Silent and scared. Her red cheeks started returning back to normal pale. But also started becoming even more colorless.

 

"Normal? Hmm... If you say so." Hyejin pauses a bit, scoots closer to her friend hiding behind a phone, playing a snake eating apples or something with numbers and squares. Damn phones why are the screens green? Wheein can’t see anything so resorted to pressing buttons mindlessly.

 

"But Yongsunnie and I don't think it is. Our lunches were loud. As in, four of us were loud. Now it just feels like me and Yongsunnie. Are you sure you're okay?”

 

This was Hyejin's way of asking ‘do you want to talk about it because you are obviously denying something.’ And Wheein, admittedly guilty, just sighs in defeat and says it all.

 

All and more.

 

So much more that now even Hyejin's in shock and confused with the mess they are in. To organize their messy thoughts, Hyejin tried to write down the timeline of what Wheein told her.

 

1. During dance training, they shared clothes and Byul called her baby. And according to Wheein that scene plays in her head almost all the time, making her brain go crazy.

 

2. Before their turn on the third day of school performances, Byul, despite being bigger, slept on her lap. And according to Wheein she felt like she was going to die. Her heart was going crazy.

 

3. After the week of the dance competition, Byul asked her out- not on a date (Wheein immediately clarified) but to hang out at her place. And according to Wheein she felt constipated the whole time. In other words, her tummy was going crazy.

 

4. They found out about the article and the cults together during their time at Byul's place. They found it funny and impossible. And according to Wheein, they laughed about how dumb that idea is and she tells herself it’s dumb but why doesn’t it feel dumb? In short, she herself has gone crazy.

 

5. They were laughing about it until they weren't. Until Wheein had to go home and thought about maybe butterflies in her stomach isn't what the mysterious internet told her (a severe physical illness). And maybe she does like Byulienie (Hyejin notes the change in nickname). Or maybe she like-likes her or- OR the most reasonable one, she is, in fact, crazy.

 

Hyejin’s response to these five points of “Hyegi, I might be going crazy” - Jung Wheein documented by Ahn Hyejin were:

 

Was it an attraction? Yes. (Wheein’s answer was unnaturally quick)

 

Was it more than that? No idea. That’s what I’ve been thinking about. (Wheein’s answer was also immediate but this time a lot less certain, a lot less confident)

 

So much happened behind the scenes that Hyejin almost wants to call for backup. This was such an absolute mess, a completely opened can of worms. But tomorrow's Monday, so they will just have to wait.

 

And wait (anxiously) they did.

 

 

Moon Byulyi was uncharacteristically early for Monday. It was not because of anything else school related or important. Rather, it was fear. Fear of Yongsun's very real threats. Here she is in the nearest convenient store around campus at 5 AM because the guards are just about to open the gates. She bought -for her and Yongsun- a flavored drink that didn’t have any color and yet was named BLUES. And some boiled eggs with sachets of salt. Perfect breakfast.

 

She's waiting for Yongsun and her possible doom. When she did arrive in a few minutes, Byul got a scolding immediately. A scolding for being too quiet. As if their six-year-long friendship (maybe more, counting is hard when you’re mad at your bestie) meant nothing to her because why the hell did she not tell Yongsun anything?

 

In actuality, Yongsun’s exact words were: “Byul-ah! Stop bottling everything up on your own! Do you think our years of friendship made me blind?! Because you act like wearing a PAINED SMILE is not noticeable. I know that PAINED SMILE Byul-ah. I know how you slightly change when ’s going on in your head and heart. If you think you’re a trash can, a trash can says it CAN.”

 

Did Yongsun’s scolding make a scene in a convenience store? Yes, they were kicked out mid-scolding.

 

Did Yongsun’s scolding make sense? Surprisingly, someway and somehow it did.

 

Thank Byulyi for already buying them the breakfast that they now have to eat outside as they watch the sun slowly rise and the gates of their school slowly open. This chaste silence of Byulyi sighing her heart out and Yongsun huffing was just the calm before the storm.

 

Because Byulyi’s fate was followed by a quick cough and immediate interrogation. It was a calmer, ultimately scarier Yongsun. Asking her the same -exact- questions she's been asking herself.

 

The interrogation was much like a lightning round in a quiz bee, not much forethought and filters. Just asking and answering.

 

"What are you and Wheein-ah?"

"We're friends. Just like before."

 

"What are you doing?"

"I'm just thinking about how I should feel and what I actually feel with everything."

 

"How do you feel about the cults?”

"I feel like the cults were being hilarious and exaggerated at first. Until I started relating to how they described her. Until I started understanding what they meant when they assumed how I must feel being hers- her dance partner, I mean."

 

“How do you feel about her?"

"I feel... I don't know what's the name of it but I feel like I could give her everything- anything- if she tells me she wants anything- something- everything."

 

All her answers, in this very early hour, got Yongsun's head turning and aching. Only three words play on repeat in Yongsun's head.

 

Not this again.

 

Followed by Yongsun’s really loud, long groan and death stare of overthinking (that looks like she’s planning how to get away with murder).

 

This is the same description she had with a sunbae that recently left. These were the same things 1st year Moon Byulyi felt. That eventually made Moon Byulyi, go over the top for her crush.

 

And by over the top, Yongsun would mean: giving everything for someone unavailable.

 

Difference is, Yongsun doesn't think Wheein is unavailable in the same way their sunbae was.

 

But, Byulyi needs to get her together and stop giving people she like-likes everything they want. Especially if they aren't asking for it from her.

 

That’s why, she knows very well her best friend can get caught up in giving one person the whole universe -stars to planets to galaxies- even if that one person just wanted space.

 

She knows very well Byulyi will do everything and anything for someone she likes like that. She will treat Wheein as her world, even if she's just human.

 

Wheein will be her everything and if she leaves Byulyi will be nothing.

 

Dangerous. Stupid. Idiotic.

 

Very Byulyi, to be honest.

 

That's what caused Yongsun's migraine and scowl through the assembly, this fine Monday morning. She clearly needs to catch up with Hyejin's side and come up with something because she knows this will either go well or horribly.

 

As in age like fine wine or spoiled milk.

 

As per usual, the year-long thesis that they're supposed to be working on has turned into Yongsun's and Hyejin's bonding time to talk about all the tea.

 

Tea-sis Time as they call it (No, not they, only Yongsun does because Hyejin would always roll her eyes until they get strained just at the mere mention of it)

 

They are both trying to be productive. And remain calm, cool, collected, despite how crazy the situation between their two besties are. It felt so- so- so close to being what they could all wish for but also very- very- very far fetched.

 

That is why these two are at it again. An encore performance of oscars winners Ahn Hyejin and Kim Yongsun. They need to do something to push those two idiots together and actually talk about each other and not whatever they're doing now.

 

They now have about a week before the very draining week of daily training -of no classes- for cheerdance competition and the immediate week of their school's anniversary.

 

Their school's anniversary will have a week full of games, booths, challenges, rides and it ends with the competition and a late night concert of local bands. In other words, Hwasun Operations need to get going as soon as possible before that week of inevitable but continuous mess. A trainwreck on the track of classic teenage foolishness, if you will.

 

They need to plant the seeds on their friends' heads, change the scene into their favor so they can finally knock some sense into their besties. And just like last time, Yongsun had a plan with a lot of lapses for the very witty, observant and smart Hyejinie to improvise on.

 

They ma

Please log in to read the full chapter