CHAPTER 9: Ghost Hunting Gone Wrong

Do you remember?
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Can I… kiss you?” Byulyi’s asking her but she isn’t looking– if anything her face is so far away from Wheein that she had to grab her by the cheeks. Their eyes met– both red across the cheeks, awkward smiles– and,

 

“Kiss me where?” Wheein– the little , would obviously want Byulyi to elaborate. Or, suffer.

 

“You–” Byulyi’s smiling, actually smiling now. Always trying to outwit her, no matter what the context. That’s what she loves about the ace. She keeps her at the edge of her seat, always basking in novelty and constant bullting. “You’re ruining the moment.”

 

“What moment?” Wheein pouts, squishing Byulyi’s hamster cheeks as she continues, “You were literally facing the window when you asked. I thought you wanted to kiss my curtains.”

 

“Yousho-noying!” Byulyi tries to speak, but not break free from Wheein’s squishing hold. When the other stops– retreats to the crook of her neck, hiding and red– Byulyi speaks, hugging her tighter. “I want to punch you.”

 

Wheein hums, having saved herself from awkwardness– her first– possibly first– kiss that they both mean and are actually on the lips. She doesn’t know how. Do you really expect 00s internet has answers for that when they don’t even have the formula for crushes? Yeah right!

 

“I want to punch you, Wheenie.” Byulyi repeats. This time Wheein comes up to look at her– confused.

 

“Why?”

 

“I want to punch you on the lips.” Byulyi makes kissy motions– immediately pushed away by Wheein. “With my lips~”

 

“Stop! This is literally my first and you’re making it a joke!” Wheein says, laughing– serious but also not. Maybe somewhere in-between.

 

“Eomma always told me, don’t wait for the perfect moment.” Byulyi finally calms down from being cringe and greasy. Wheein reciprocates, easing her pushing and distancing. Naturally, they pull each other closer. It’s a bit cold, after all.

 

Byulyi fixes Wheein’s hair, runs her hand along her scalp– making the other close her eyes at the feeling. She smiles– why is Wheein acting like a cat? Like a cat purring and smiling– relishing at ear scratches. Byulyi’s hands– inexperienced, calloused but still baby-like, trail her jaw– Wheein’s eyes open at it.

 

Their eyes– naturally, trail down, having nothing to say. Needing nothing more.

 

And finally–

 

She feels lips on hers, plump and sweet– again, she pulls her close, seemingly tasting something– again, pulling her ever closer, feeling how perfect her lips fit in with hers.

 

When they part, amazed and confused– awkward and breathless– Byulyi decides to say the first thing that comes to mind.

 

“Is your toothpaste flavored?” She asks, because what the hell do you say after a kiss?

 

“I’m going to ignore that.” Wheein says, finally fixing their sheets– because who the hell sleeps on top of them? Before she turns and ignores Byulyi forever, “did– your eomma by chance, say to just make the moment perfect?”

 

“What?” Byulyi, brainless– brain lagging and comprehension and vision of anything at 140 pp and 5 fps.

 

“Nothing, go to sleep.” Wheein tries her best not to squeal at what just happened or be as red as a tomato but she can really only pick one struggle.

 

She’s gonna be red as a tomato until she sleeps.

 

But it’s okay– arms wrap around her waist, pulling her closer.

 

Good night. Byulyi-nie.

 

 

No one understands why their school thought it was a great idea to have a field trip when finals are barreling their way into the lives of our poor high school students. But hey, who can say no to getting out of campus and into some historical place or some nature experience? Not our quartet of course.

 

After the announcement they were practically shaking in their seats, ready for some outdoor fun.

 

But wait, there is a problem. For Yongsun and Wheein of course.

 

It was awkward, Wheein just kissed Yongsun’s best friend. So how the hell do you start a conversation again?

 

It was really awkward. Because, well, Yongsun feels awkward. Not that she did anything– well, not yet. But she wants Hyejin to be her seatmate on the whole trip. And Wheein and Hyejin are literally like As and Bs. Always after one and the other. Always together.

 

That’s why they feel like polar opposites– repelling each other when they’re together.

 

First was when they were in the restroom and bumped into each other, going for the same sink.

 

Second was lunch time where they tried to get the same– only chopsticks left.

 

Third was the worst– Yongsun opened the door to Wheein, who wanted to open the door.

 

“Yeah, this is getting weird.” Yongsun finally says, laughing awkwardly.

 

Wheein laughs, equally awkward. “Yeah, weird day I guess?”

 

Yongsun swallows the lump in . Rip the bandage off. Quick and–

 

“Can I choose Hyejinie as a partner?” Yongsun asks– throwing Wheein off from the awkwardness and she just tilts her head, confused. “For the batch field trip this weekend.”

 

“Ah, yeah!” Wheein smiled, confused as to why Yongsun asked her. “Aren’t you asking the wrong person?”

 

“Wh-what? No?”

 

“I’m… not Hyegi… Yongsunnie are you okay?”

 

“I’m–” Yongsun paused, having glitched in reality in her realization. She laughs– unknowingly concerning Wheein more. “No-no, Wheenie I asked you first in case you guys wanted to be partners. You can for Byul too, given that I won’t be… you know.”

 

“Oh, okidoki-mckintosh!” Wheein brightens up, eased and happy again. Their weird tension is broken– halfway, since she hasn’t said her part… She should really say it. Since she kind of also is in need of advice. “Yongsunnie… I also have something to say.”

 

“Omo, what is it?”

 

“I need help… with… Byulyi-unnie…”

 

Yongsun sighs, already disappointed in the hypothetical thing Byulyi did– that she doesn’t know yet. “What did she do?”

 

“Oh nothing, it’s just…” Wheein trails off, having no words to describe her situation. “We kind of… I think… I like-like her and she does like me the same way too and we-kind-of-kissed-my-first-kiss-last-friday-and-I-don’t-know-what-to-do.”

 

“OH!” Yongsun jumped– a random epiphany again. “You guys are a thing now?” It wasn’t an epiphany, she was excited having misheard half of what Wheein said.

 

“Ah, no not yet.” Wheein wants the tiles to swallow her whole. She wants to be one with the wind– a plastic bag, drifting through the wi–

 

“Heh? You both haven’t talked about it?”

 

“No… not yet.”

 

“Aigoo, then you are talking to the wrong person, Wheein-ah!”

 

This did not help. Wheein technically said it but Yongsun didn’t hear– or process? Somewhere along those lines.

 

Great. Just Great.

 

She really has no choice, does she?

 

 

Byulyi has been extra airheaded as of late. So much so that their math teacher is concerned. Very much concerned by Byulyi's state of mind when she submitted her scratch paper with her name next to a certain classmate. Along with computing mathematical expressions that weren’t on the quiz like having the answer i < 3.

 

As well as having random subject-centered pick up lines. Truly, Mr. CosTanSin was very concerned with the lines Byulyi wrote in her scratch paper.

 

Are you my thesis statement? Because I’ve written so many paragraphs just to talk about you.

 

We learned about chemistry today. But all I got from that is if my crush keeps her i-on me, I'll get charged.

 

Today I learned that math is always true and is immune to misinterpretation, my feelings for you must be math then.

 

Are you a music sheet? Because only those who can understand you will know that you sound so beautiful.

 

You must be my test paper. Because I won’t let myself ever fail you. (I’m an honor student by the way)

 

I’m the middle blocker of our volleyball team, but don’t worry… I won’t block your kisses.

 

To be fair, these were very original. Or at least, their math teacher thought so. He just smiles, he supposes this must be the effects of young love. He just hopes it doesn’t dwindle at the slightest misha–

 

“Jinnie! Jinnie!” Everyone can hear Byulyi whisper-scream to her seatmate.

 

“Omo, what?”

 

“I accidentally passed my scratch paper… look.” Byulyi shows Hyejin her math quiz. Hyejin had to double take– triple take. And just laughed at her. Laughed at her misery. Because their math teacher left hours ago. It’s already the last class.

 

“Don’t laugh!” Byulyi, a hypocrite, demands as she herself was laughing. Hyejin’s soft and delicate laughter was easing her– contagious enough to make her laugh too.

 

“Byulie-unnie, are you okay?” Hyejin– because she cares so much– asks, after laughing at Byulyi’s demise. “You’ve been acting like you’re high on something.”

 

Damn. Was it that obvious? How do I tell Hyejin? Maybe telling her straight would be best.

 

“Come closer, I have a secret.” Hyejin does come closer, offering her ear for some top secret information–

 

“YOU WHAT?!” Hyejin forgot that it’s homeroom and they’re supposed to remain silent and reflect on their struggles throughout the school year so far.

 

Byulyi turned pale– Hyejin sounded offended and even angry, it’s so out of pocket that Byulyi swore she shrunk at the sight of Hyejin shouting at her.

 

“Sorry?”

 

“Aigooo…” Hyejin’s starting to act and be as scary as Yongsun, it is a bit alarming. “Did you talk about it?”

 

“No, eomma picked me up in the morning and she was still asleep.”

 <

Please log in to read the full chapter