CHAPTER 3: The rare instances of Moon Byulyi being correct

Do you remember?
Please log in to read the full chapter

A/N: READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED. The ending part of this chapter has a vague mention of ual harrassment and i, admittedly a , forgot about it so I am now warning you that it may be vague but it can be triggering. So you may either brace yourself or watch out for an indicator signifying a less triggering end for this chapter. That occurance is also not really gonna be expounded upon as an impactful plot point, its just giving characters depth and reasons to be vulnerable and reckless teenagers.

A/N: If you guys wanna know what type of ual harrassment I was trying to imply, it was a reference (so essentially what happened in the story is up to the reader's interpretation) to my friend who gets catcalled often and I did give her pepper spray because I can't always wait for her to walk home together since I live further from campus so I can't stay late but she always does. Stay safe out there, kids.

A/N: Again, sorry for the late warning, I'll do better next time.
 


Wrong. 

 

Well, technically, she was right. They did meet again. But she feels very wrong anyway. 

 

Ms. Dreamy Barista, who has enough creative energy to completely redecorate a cafe, -also known as Wheein with the very cute smile, dimple and eyes- was her classmate?!

 

Not only that- no, she wasn't supposed to be her classmate because she took and (probably) aced that godforsaken exam! 

 

To say Moon Byulyi felt outplayed was an understatement. No, she was not just outplayed. Wheein absolutely outclassed her.

 

Not just in creativity, math, and everything Moon Byulyi is known to be good at in the classroom. 

 

No- she- Wheein- this girl- is an absolute ace. She can do several forms of art, from painting and crafts to singing and instruments. She can do it all. She’s also, according to very reliable rumors, ing had no major subject with a grade lower than 94. What the absolute ? God may have favorites and Byulyi was not included.

 

Moon Byulyi only had Math as the only major subject that looked good. I mean, to compete she can’t have it lower than 96 but all her other major subjects were hanging on by a thread at 88. (To keep her varsity membership, honors candidate and scholarship, 88 was the lowest she can have).

 

Moon Byulyi hated it. By "it" she meant the hunch she’s getting about their previous -possibly fated- meeting. Maybe she wasn't playing a one-sided charade last summer.

 

No. Wheein probably played along.

 

They danced along the charade of facades.

 

To say Moon Byulyi got a taste of her own medicine was an absolute salt on her wound. Wound being the fact Wheein doesn't even spare her a glance. As if that fated-dreamlike- summer cafe experience never happened. And boy was she salty about it.

 

"Byul-ah, what the hell's wrong with you?" Yongsun looks at her friend. Her friend that is very much trying to drill a hole on Wheein's back as she eats her meal. 

 

"You are scaring our classmate, . Stop staring like a freak!" Yongsun finally -she promises it was friendly- swatted her friend's head. To knock some sense to it for once. 

 

It was very effective. 

 

"Ah! Unnie," Byulyi was using her seriously annoyed tone and Yong noticed it immediately. "She's trouble." She said with salt all over her voice. Yongsun snorted and laughed so hard as if a sound effect for cleaning windows played on repeat.

 

"Like you're any better." Yong shone as she finished her sentence. A clear sign of epiphany, Yongsun's version of eureka moment. In other words, Byul's demise. "Oh my god, are you jealous she's gonna beat you in everything you're good at?" She has that -eating grin on, she knows she's right but she's asking anyway. Byul hated it.

 

"No. She can't." Byul won’t take this bait. (She still did).

 

"I would argue, with baseless faith in her and absolute spite against you, that she will. She is the ace.” Yongsun unknowingly spoke Byulyi's most hated realization recently. Yongsun also unknowingly (maybe she knows and is just being an ) added more salt to Byulyi's wounds. 

 

Maybe Yongsun was blessed with an untimely power of prophecy. Moon Byulyi was not happy about it at all. It was just the first quarter of another grueling school year but why has she already gotten her handed to her? 

 

Here's what happened.

 

Math teacher, Mr Something with a name, asked a question that only Byul knew -or so she thought- because she studied it for a competition and was not a topic last year. Scribbling horribly as she computed for the answer, she raised her head along with her hand, just to see her. 

 

Wheein. (Byulyi seethes in what we can only conclude is pettiness). Doing the same.

 

"Ah, Ms. Jung! What's your answer?" 

 

This man is evil. This man is purely doing this against Byul and totally not because it was obvious only Byul knew. 

 

"Oh, I'm not so sure with my answer and I just wanted to try," Do not swoon at her still very charming and dreamlike voice Moon Byulyi. She is an enemy, Moon Byulyi.

 

"Is it 2x + 3?" Jung Wheein's voice was unsure but Moon Byulyi was too salty to notice it, so when Mr. Math teacher called her before revealing the answer, she looked (confidently) at her mess of a computation.

 

2x + 3 

 

"Uhh... I had the same answer." Dumbstruck, Byul said like a robot.

 

When she least expected it, Ms. Jung Wheein looked at her for the first time. And dear god, she gave Byul a smile. Byulyi would've interpreted it as condescending or challenging but those eyes just look so... honest and filled with… adoration? No, not quite. Endearment? Byulyi cannot tell. (Again, she's too salty to)

 

Math class was really the only time (other than the 30 and 40 minute breaks) where Byul had a functioning brain. Does she use her functioning brain fully though? Nope because she argues it's cooler that way. It's hip. It's rebel. (she's cringe).

 

 

Right now, it's Music. Music class.

 

The teacher is teaching away as Moon Byulyi mindlessly balances her pencil on her forehead. 

 

Was she succeeding? No. Was she passing time? Yes. So was she really winning? Debateable. (she's still salty obviously. Wheein is JUST THERE.)

 

Suddenly, the school's yearly musical was brought up and Byul, along with her seatmate that she should really get to know, perked up like the teacher finally said something interesting. They looked at each other because they did the exact same thing at the exact same time.

 

They both laughed, amused at their synced antics. And wow. Her voice is husky and deep. 

 

"Ahn Hyejin. I took the accelerated test." 

 

"Byul. Moon Byulyi." This person, to say the least, was hilarious. She picks up Byul's silly jokes and retorts with a witty and equally inane remark.

 

 

Wheein was, to say the least, getting bored. Talking about plans, the course work, the project- blah blah blah- was all too boring. It was draining the light out of her body and she needs a creative outlet. 

 

It did not help that everyone in the classroom was older and taller too. They all looked like trees, lamp posts, draining her creative juices as she tries to doodle something- anything.

 

But this sunshine of a woman, who also has a dimple -two on both sides, greeted her as if she had the sunlight to recharge Wheein. "Kim Yongsun. I heard you accelerated?" 

 

"Jung Wheein. I did accelerate, Yongsun-unnie."

 

"Yah! Wheein-ah don’t be like that! We’re literally classmates! And also it makes me feel too old.” Yongsun whispers the last bits. “I have to say Wheein-ah, you showed Byul who's boss back in Math class. That was the best."

 

"Who’s Byul?" Playing the innocent baby card no one can see through, Wheein looked at the vibrant woman beside her.

 

"Byulyi, the loser that also raised her hand when Mr. That guy that teaches math asked a question?" Yongsun was confused why she didn't know her. Not because her friend was well-known as the girl crush of everyone (she’d rather die than admit this) but because she thought they already met. Byul doesn't exactly stare into someone with murderous jealousy spelled in her eyes if they didn't meet. 

 

"Oh. The walking lamp post-unnie." Wheein, quick to pick up suspicion, faked forgetting about it and finally let the nickname out to someone else other than Hyejin. To say Yongsun was laughing was questionable, it sounded like she tried speaking in d

Please log in to read the full chapter