Chapter 8.5: This is a Competition!

Do you remember?
Please log in to read the full chapter

A/N: I should really stop putting myself into a situation where I have to ing narrate a dance like– have I not learned from chapter… six was it? GOHD.  DO NOT PERCEIVE ME! Pls skip the dance scene (silent crying) i literally just sang lyrics of a song and barely did any describing of the performance.

 

 

Now that tomorrow has arrived and time has given the quartet no choice but to face said competition they may or may not have forgotten about, they all get ready anxiously.

 

The performance needs to be perfect. They need to win. The best dancers had accelerated to seniors and the juniors that stayed needed to prove something.

 

Everyone was serious. After all, this is a competition.

 

The four batches had designated colors and themes.

 

(Green) Freshmen - Guns and Weapons

 

(Yellow) Sophomores - Dystopian Apocalypse

 

(Red) Juniors - Skies and Earth

 

(Blue) Seniors - Musical Liberation

 

The competition is in the morning, just before lunch. That is why we find our quartet in their classrooms again after two weeks. Unlike before, they were here to collect themselves and prepare- make-up, hairstyle, everything- for the competition.

 

Now, you see… the theme of Mythology is for the whole performance but the appearance of the dancers… well,

 

Who knows Pucca?

 

Don’t get too excited- it’s just the hair (like we’ll believe that).

 

Majority of their batch had red ties and two buns, the odango hairstyle and a hanbok-styled (but not really because they are cheerdancing), mass produced, and cheap red top- well, most of them.

 

Some, like Byulyi and the others who will be doing important stunts, were wearing a black accented with red version- except that they have masks on. No, not just any mask- they imitated the ones in the legends. Similar to the ones of the legends, though a lot less intricately detailed and with high school level cheap materials.

 

Others, like Wheein and her fellow flyers, were wearing a red accented with white version of the top. She amongst other flyers had ribbons loosely attached to her attire, ones that go by the wind– as they fly.

 

You would think the quartet would be serious and anticipating or at least nervous by now, right? Well… no.

 

Since their batch was going for myths and legends, obviously they have a hidden card up their sleeve. A sleeping.. Yong- not Yongsun but a dragon. They have crafted one into existence (thanks to our props men and Wheein of course). Said yong dragon has been kept in secret from the dry runs, practices, and every other batch possible.

 

And because of such conveniently similar names, the hairstyle reference, color themes and masks, now would you really think that Ahn Hyejin, Kim Yongsun, Jung Wheein, and Moon Byulyi are being consumed by silent shaky nervousness?

 

Yes. Of course not. (what?)

 

Obviously our quartet is the reason their floor is loud. They were the loudest too. Thin walls and other batches be damned.

 

Yongsun was the dragon- Hyejin being on the tail end. Byul and Wheein reenacting Garu and Pucca romance-

 

Everything was a mess of- what the fu- and holy shh-

 

But it’s okay. That is their way of shaking off the nervousness. Get it out the messiest- stupidest- ultimately funniest way possible.

 

And when the time of the performance comes… it’ll be- show time.

 

Which it did. Now all the batches were in the field, gathering and preparing- they’ve hidden Yongsun and Hyejin inside the dragon and all under a red cloth. The Garu and Pucca duo have been separated into their respective groups to have a last pep talk.

 

They’ll be the last performers- right after the seniors. Who- by the way, just made one error throughout their performance. That being the very same successions of jump Byulyi will be doing. Everyone saw it and it made her a little… nervous.

 

“Byulinie, calm down your knees are jumping out of control.” Hyejin came out of the sleeping dragon- it was too hot. And sat next to Byulyi, in front as they watched the seniors perform their cheer- the last segment.

 

“Yah! You know Unnie didn’t like doing those jumps. That was assigned to you last year, remember?” Yongsun followed suit, it was very hot being inside a dragon. She rested her chin on Hyejinie’s head.

 

“Yeah but didn’t I almost not land right last year?” Byulyi’s eyes were still on the blue performers.

 

“I don’t remember seeing last year's sophomores make any mistake on their performance, so no.” Wheein came out of -seemingly- nowhere, sitting next to Byulyi.

 

Which, by the way, made Byulyi look and this time without the Pucca induced aggressiveness, Wheein did look really pretty.

 

Wow. She’s really... (gay yearning brought to you by Moon Byulyi)

 

And now, for the moment we’ve all been waiting for-

 

The Juniors were called to perform; they ran to the field- propsmen preparing, sleeping dragon duo hidden in the background.

 

And then-

 

The Mulan soundtrack- remixed into a cheerdance appropriate vibe- plays.

 

Let’s get down to business.

 

They had some simple props too. The cheer squad behind had umbrellas that had a simple star on them for a visual at the back. The dancers who wouldn’t be doing stunts had ribbons tied to their fingers- adding flare to their moves. It was as if they were bending fire in each arm movement.

 

In other words, the visuals were on point. Everyone was in a trance. No matter where you look- cheer squad or dancers- there’s something going on. But not in an overwhelmingly messy way.

 

They were synchronized and complementing each other. As the cheer squad were spinning umbrellas with wave movements at the back, they set the scene for the dancers. The dancers who were moving as if they were in training- to defeat the Huns.

 

And- they weren’t the saddest bunch you’ve ever met,

 

but you can bet before they’re through, that they’ll-

 

Be tranquil as the forest- with a fire within.

 

Your eyes will find the center- and they’ll be sure to win.

 

They move as swiftly as the coursing river, with the fierce of a great typhoon.

 

Their cheers filled with all the strength of a raging fire, their stunts- masked as mysterious as

 

The dark side of the moon.

 

The emperor, Byulyi, masked and in black- suited for the rage of war, commands- steals everyone’s eyes from the show as she performs a succession of jumps- the same one only the seniors have pulled off all throughout the competition. But where the seniors made a mistake; the juniors- executed flawlessly.

 

Whi

Please log in to read the full chapter