CHAPTER 5: The moment she realizes first

Do you remember?
Please log in to read the full chapter

The hype of finally being Champions in intramurals even before senior year died down quickly. Reason being, quarterly exams were two days after intramurals. Something evil. Something hellish. Definitely odds were pinning against these poor highschool students.

 

It's fine. They're in High School so much like how Netflix depicts them (inaccurately) they do a lot of dumb.

 

Dumb like complaining. Complaining about things you'll do anyway. ing and cursing people without really meaning it. Or, for the case of our four, having nonsensical conversations at the best time.

 

During the morning, it was the final day of exams, the quartet decided to- actually just Yong- imitate animal sounds. She must be talented with that, given that her laughs might very well be a dolphin language.

 

Hyejin, after facepalming for the nth time at 7am, spoke some gibberish. "What are you saying?" Yongsun asks with a smile, clearly forgetting the fact she was just trying to imitate an elephant seconds ago.

 

"I just see Byul then I start singing stuff." Hyejin huffs like there’s weight on her back. "Random stuff?" Byul asks, preparing a greasy retort. "Play stuff. The musical's getting closer and closer." Hyejin face-planted on her desk, making Wheein flinch.

 

"She good?" Byul asks Wheein, who's starting to warm up to her (she also started warming up to Wheein). "No, Hyegi doesn't get stage fright but she does start talking in different languages or starts singing randomly." Wheein explains like it was common knowledge.

 

It was not.

 

"It's level two of the Ahn Hyejin tiredness scale."

 

"What's level one?" Yong pipes in, curious about this scale.

 

"She braids people's hair."

 

"Oh, that's why." Byul finally got why Hyejin (who was sitting behind her) was braiding her hair during exams yesterday.

 

"How many levels are there?"

 

"I've yet to find out. I only know four." Wheein shrugs as Hyejin just groans, face still planted on her desk.

 

"So level one's braiding, two's speaking foreign language, three and four?" Byul notes in her head out loud.

 

"Three, she sings what she wants to say. Four, she raps in languages I never got the energy of finding out." The day went on and to say Hyejin was tired is a sound conclusion.

 

By the end of the week, she started rapping about going home late and sleeping in the car with uncomfortable clothes.

 

The last week of second quarter was: high school students crying to see their grades and creatively planning to hide it like it was evidence in their crime (failing miserably but at least they tried).

 

Now, a new week, a new quarter, but the same old quartet. The same old loud laughter, untimely mess, and getting away with things high school students do. They are all too focused on the musical to really listen to Mr. Teaching Trigonometry in the front. Everyone's minds were about the play.

 

It was because Hyejin and Byul were in the main cast in the creative (the less gay word to say gay) rendition of Hercules. Hyejin was one of the muses and Byul was- through thorough manipulation by the Director and Byulyi's girl crush influence- casted as Hercules.

 

Wheein was too tired to really be human in the morning- or all day. She's finally accepted that her blood was black coffee and the concept of time and reality is a dream.

 

Yongsun on the other hand, was having a field day to manage tasks, do plans, and -she swears it's good intent- bossing people around.

 

To say the four of them were tired was like saying Hyejin was obviously the youngest (aka delusionally an understatement). It was lunch and for once in the lives of students eating in the canteen, the four were silent.

 

So silent everyone else thinks that they might be schemeing something. They weren't wrong.

 

Not Wheein and Yongsun no, they're angels (arguably).

 

Byulyi and Hyejin? Yeah, suspicious.

 

Just earlier, they did not walk with the other two, as per Byul's request. They talked about the play schedule. Byulyi got 2nd and 3rd performance of the day. Hyejin got 1st and 2nd. The problem here is, Byul wants Wheein to watch her.

 

Wheein cannot.

 

Three reasons:

 

1. Wheein doesn't allow herself to stay in campus past 6 (the last show starts at 6)

2. Wheein is on duty on the 2nd show, meaning that she'll be at the booth outside.

3. Wheein has been avoiding Byul. It was discreet at first, she would excuse herself with work and being a responsible ace. Lately it has been blatantly obvious.

 

Wheein being sloppy? Clearly something is wrong.

 

Now, people must be curious what the ace could possibly do that is sloppy- Well, when she sees Byul anywhere other than the classroom (hallways or restrooms) on her own, suddenly the faucet doesn't work or suddenly the locker with the gum ever since first quarter was very interesting.

 

Yes, Wheein is definitely looking at everything else except the walking lamp post. Does it take all her willpower to do so? Little bit.

 

Was it obvious why? To Byul, obviously not. To Yongsun and Hyejin, there's only one answer. To Wheein? Uhm, well,

 

They're starting to become very good friends and Wheein is deflecting (but she does not know that).

 

That's why Hyejin and Byulyi walked separately from the angels (still debatable). They were definitely scheming.

 

How to get Wheein to watch 6PM Show

 

Were they successful? Do they actually have plans?

 

No, silly, this is Byul and Hyejin we are talking about. Plans are a Yong thing.

 

That's actually the only plan they have. Let Yong make one for them. Either that or Hyejin will lie to Wheein and they do not want that (they aren't that desperate). So, how did they get Yong to join them? Make her concerned by silence.

 

That is why, for the first time in what felt like forever, their table was dead silent. As they expected, Yong approached the two after Wheein excused herself.

 

"What is it?"

 

"We need your help."

 

"Obviously. What is it?" Yong didn't have a dangerous bite to her words but it was still scary.

 

"Byul wants Wheein to watch her be gay on stage." Hyejin, full of tact as always, rats out the tallest.

 

The woman being thrown under the bus, Yong would've expected her to rea

Please log in to read the full chapter