Chap 3

Sleep with me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HAE-RIN

The alarm rang through my ears, waking me from a deep sleep. Kim Jong-in sat on the edge of the bed, pulling on his jacket. Wait a minute! Had he slept here?!!!

I tried to sit up, but he sensed that I was awake and turned. The intensity in his eyes paralyzed me. “Stay here…it’s the school alarm. I need to check what’s going on. Don’t leave your room unless a teacher instructs you to.”

I nodded. I’d have to talk to him later about this weird habit the prince of wolves seemed to have about sleeping in odd places.

He teleported out the room and I felt a little colder. I pulled the covers over my head and tried to ignore the sound of the alarm. Where was the quiet school life I’d prayed for?

I could hear students outside my door, scared and nervous and the voices of teachers instructing us to remain in our rooms.

What was Jong-in ssi doing? Was he searching for the cause of the alarm? I imagined him as a the grey wolf I couldn’t stop drawing with intense black eyes. His coat was soft and I could bury my face in it.

Silly Hae-rin, he doesn’t even know your name. He’s just worried you’ll tell someone about what happened. I must set the record straight next time I see him. I need to end this before I get attached to him.

It’s normal that I’d feel like this. I’d always been kept at home, homeschooled, without any socializing skills. It would be so typical of me to fall for someone just because they spoke to me a couple of times.

At least I get to sleep in. I don’t feel rested at all.

***********************************************

KAI

We’ve been searching the school grounds for any signs of intrusion, but so far nothing. The vampires have joined us in the search, but because I don’t trust them, I’ve paired vampires with wolves.

I purposely paired up with Ji-won so I can keep an eye on him. This whole situation is the vampires doing and Park Ji-won and his father are behind it.

“So this is what you wolves do every night. Not very thrilling.” Ji-won stifled a yawn and searched my face. “Not very glamorous for the prince of wolves.”

“Don’t act like we’re close.”

“You’re so touchy Kim Jong-in.” Ji-won said dramatically. “Why don’t you enjoy being the best of your kind, instead of moping around with that emo expression.”

I ignored him. What did he know about the responsibility I had to keep this school safe. People blamed me for Mi-rae’s death. They didn’t care that I wasn’t even at school when she was murdered. “I thought you’d be happy to take my place.”

Ji-won made a show of looking of disinterested. “You have me all wrong Kim Jong-in. If I had your position, I’d still make the wolves do all the dirty work and reap all the benefits for myself. You’re such an idiot for doing the heavy lifting.”

“I prefer it this way.” I continued to search for signs of an intruder while he indolently leaned against a tree.

“And that’s why you’re blamed for Mi-rae ssi’s murder. You put yourself out there for everyone to take a jab at. I mean…”“Shut up.”

“Don’t tell me to shut up! I…

“Hey, your royal vampireness, could you shut up? I heard something…” I motioned for him to remain behind me, but he pushed his way forward.

“Hey! Park Ji-won!” I lifted him off his feet, dangling him inches from the ground. Vampires were known to be nimble, they didn’t have the bone density that us wolves were born with. “Watch where you’re walking.” I growled.

He grimaced and then forced a smile, “I get it…so put me down you mutt.”

“I’m no mutt…but those look like the prints of a mongrel pack.”

Ji-won carefully examined the prints of feet and hands in the mud. “Mongrels wouldn’t dare break into Chiron.”

“Then what do you call this?” I  took pictures before he contaminated the scene and called in Sehun and Chanyeol to serve as witnesses. “Look at the hands and feet used for walking, only mongrels do that.”

“Animals.” Ji-won spat and then quickly glanced at me. “I mean…”

“Save it.” I was relieved when Sehun and Chanyeol arrived. “Notify the elders. Chiron has been compromised.”

It was what we dreaded. This incident proved the vampires right. The wolf pack had lost control of the school. First a murder and now mongrels were somewhere on the school grounds.

***********************************************

HAE-RIN

We’ve been told to attend classes like usual, which is impossible when there might be mongrels roaming around.“Have you ever seen one?” Yuna whispers.

I shake my head. How would I ever have seen one when I was kept at home until now. “I’ve seen one in the anatomy museum. We should go sometime. They have a skeleton of a werewolf.”

A werewolf? I immediately thought of Kim Jong-in and the grey wolf I kept drawing. I clutched my notepad. I really wanted to see that skeleton. “Can we go on our next exit day?”

Yuna smiled “sure!”

“Since everyone has mongrels on their mind, we’ll use this chance to look at Chapter 7, which concentrates on Group 4 – people born with no abilities. This is the group that mongrels are born into.” Our teacher explained as we all flipped ahead to Chapter 7.

People in this group do not have the aptitude to take up professional positions such as doctors or lawyers found in Group 2s like yourselves, and they do not have the talent of the artists and p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter