Chapter IV

Begin Again

IV

 

It was the first monthly evaluation of trainees. Their company had just started and though there were only a number of trainees to be evaluated, it is still a big event for Joohyun. So she, along with Seulgi, and two other vocal and dance coaches were there, and of course, being her secretary, Seungwan was there too.

 

Like the judges of a talent show, the five of them were seated at a long table at the back of the room, facing the stage. On cue, the trainees were asked to enter. They were kids ranging from 13-17 years of age. Upon seeing them, the trainees bowed to them in chorus. 

 

Before taking their seats though, one of the trainees gasps. Joohyun turned to her and saw that the trainee's eyes were fixed on the person sitting on her left, to be specific, her secretary. Joohyun was curious, but she would never ask.

 

It was Seulgi, like what Joohyun had already seen coming, who initiated the conversation.

 

"Are you okay, uh-" Seulgi checked her name. "Miyeon-ssi?" She asked the trainee who was still looking at Seungwan as if star-strucked. 

 

"Uhh.. Y-yes, yes, Seulgi bujangnim." Miyeon, who seemed to realize that all attention is now on hers, was embarrassed. "I'm sorry."

 

"It's alright." Seulgi chuckles, in an attempt to reassure the trainee. "You can now proceed to your seat so we can start."

 

Miyeon bowed her head in acknowledgement and did what she was told. Joohyun didn't miss though how the trainee glance once more on Seungwan's direction before going to her seat.

 

The evaluation only lasted for more than an hour. They still need to be trained a lot and there's still a long way for them, but considering that it was only just a month, Joohyun was still satisfied with the outcome. 

 

They dismissed the trainees but one particular trainee didn't leave yet. Instead, she walked hesitantly towards their table.

 

"Is there a problem, Miyeon-ssi?" It was the vocal coach who asked.

 

"W-well, uhm.."

 

Joohyun raised her brow. The trainee keeps on looking at Seungwan's direction. Not that she cares, of course, but she wants to leave already and Seungwan is her secretary so the latter should come with her. But it's obvious that Miyeon wants to talk to Seungwan and therefore, will hold them back from leaving.

 

"You know her?" Joohyun finally asked, pointing a finger at Seungwan.

 

Miyeon was a bit startled at her question. She nods nervously. "Uh, kind of, Joohyun sajangnim."

 

Joohyun then turned to Seungwan but it seems like her secretary doesn't know the girl. Still, the latter was kind enough to approach the shy trainee.

 

"Uh, do you want to talk to me?" Seungwan asked, unsure. "Can I help you with something?"

 

Miyeon's eyes lit up as she looked at Seungwan. "You're Wendy, right?" The young girl finally asked, voice laced with excitement as if she had forgotten that they were not alone in the room.

 

Wendy? 

 

Joohyun knows, remembers that name. It was Seungwan's stage name whenever she did her gigs. 

 

Ah, I see then. Joohyun thought. This girl's a fan.

 

Seungwan, on the other hand, was surely taken aback. She nods nonetheless. "Yes. That would be right."

 

"Oh my!" Miyeon exclaimed, almost jumping towards Seungwan. "I've seen and heard you sing years ago and I became your fan, Wendy-nim."

 

Seungwan rubs the back of her neck shyly. "Oh, uhm, thank you."

 

"And though it's been so long since I last heard you sing, I could still remember your voice very clearly, Wendy-nim. In fact, you inspired me to follow my dream of becoming a singer!"

 

Wow. A huge compliment. Joohyun thought. She doesn't mean to eavesdrop but what can she do when Miyeon's voice was so loud and they were just literally beside her. 

 

"Oh. Thank you, Miyeon-ssi." Joohyun heard Seungwan simply settle on that answer instead.

 

"I'm really happy to see you again, Wendy-nim!" Miyeon continued with a wide grin. "Can I hear you sing again?"

 

"Oh, that's.." 

 

Joohyun heard the hesitancy on Seungwan's voice, that she couldn't help but take a peek at the latter. Her secretary was masking a sad smile. She internally frowns at this. It was also then that she was reminded that Seungwan used to sing a lot. In fact, the younger girl has always loved singing. 

 

I have almost forgotten about that.

 

Miyeon was waiting with hopeful eyes for her answer. Unconsciously, Joohyun finds herself waiting for it too. Seungwan's sad smile was a bit disturbing for her. 

 

"Oh, hey, Miyeon-ssi." Seulgi called, grabbing the trainee's attention. She smiles kindly. "I think it's better if you'll be the one to sing for us instead on your next evaluation."

 

Joohyun turned to Seulgi and she didn't miss how the younger girl took a quick glance at Seungwan. 

 

Miyeon's eyes widened. It's obvious she has forgotten about the other people in the room. She bowed apologetically. "I'm sorry, Joohyun sajangnim, Seulgi bujangnim. I'm sorry too, coaches."

 

Seulgi chuckles. "That's fine. Will see you on the next evaluation, yeah?"

 

"Yes, yes, bujangnim." Miyeon bowed to each one of them. "I'll get going now." She bowed lastly to Seungwan. 

 

"Oh, you got yourself a fan, Seungwan-ssi." The dance trainor commented.

 

"Yeah. We didn't even know that you sing." The vocal coach, Seohyun, butts in.

 

"That's just.. part-time gigs when I was still a student." Seungwan answered shyly.

 

"Vocalist?" 

 

"Uh, yeah."

 

"That means you can sing!" Seohyun exclaimed. "Say, why don't you join us as a vocal mentor instead? I mean, no offense, Joohyun sajangnim."

 

Joohyun laughs it off. "None taken, Ms. Seohyun."

 

"So, what do you say, Seungwan-ssi?"

 

"I'll.. I think I'll pass, Ms. Seo."

 

Surprised, Joohyun's head turned to Seungwan. The latter has her head down though. Did she just refuse something related to singing?

 

"Are you sure?"

 

Seungwan smiles and bows. "Yes, Ms. Seo."

 

Weird. Joohyun thought.


 

**

 

"Joohyun eonnie, can you stop glaring at me? I am reading, but I can still see you, you know?"

 

They were in Joohyun's office and Seulgi was on the couch, reading a report when she felt Joohyun's glaring eyes on her. She set the reports down on the table.

 

"What is it?" Seulgi asked though Joohyun knew that the latter probably knew what that was.

 

"You know something, don't you?"

 

Seulgi fakes a frown. "Know something about what?"

 

Joohyun groans. "Ugh, fine! Don't tell me then. I don't care anyway."

 

Seulgi laughs. "You know, eonnie, I would answer you if you asked. But I really don't know what you're talking about, so.."

 

"Nothing. There's nothing." Joohyun glared at Seulgi before facing her laptop. "Now, go, shoo. I still have lots of work to do."

 

"Woah." Seulgi chuckles, shaking her head. "I really can't win against you being a tsundere."

 

"I don't know what you're talking about." Joohyun began typing.

 

"Okay, fine." Seulgi raised her hands in the air. "I just discovered something about Seungwan."

 

Joohyun didn't look up from her laptop. "So? I'm not interested."

 

Seulgi noticed how Joohyun stopped typing though. She hides a chuckle. "Yeah, yeah, I know. But I just want to tell you since I'm bored and have nothing yet to do anyway."

 

Joohyun shrugs. "Suit yourself."

 

"Okay. So, remember how Seungwan and I went to Daegu last time?"

 

"Oh. So you two are close now?" Joohyun noticed how Seulgi addressed her secretary with her first name twice now.

 

"Yes." Seulgi rolled her eyes at the sarcasm. "We bonded last week and I think in no time, we'll be best of friends."

 

"Whatever." Joohyun rolled her eyes. "So?"

 

"What so?"

 

Joohyun groans. "What do you know?"

 

"Ooh." Seulgi teased. "I thought you're not interested, eonnie?"

 

"I'm not, okay!" Joohyun huffs. "You said you're bored so I'm just entertaining you. I'm just being a good friend by listening to whatever it is you wanted to tell."

 

Seulgi grins. "Yeah, sure, eonnie."

 

"Kang Seugi." Joohyun snatched a stapler from her drawer and raised it in the air. "I will wipe that grin off your face."

 

"Hey, hey, eonnie. Wait. That'll hurt." Seulgi throws her arms in the air. "Fine. I'll talk, okay? Geez. Always so violent."

 

Joohyun ignored the comment. She crossed her arms and waited for Seulgi to start talking.

 

"I read her resume when I interviewed her. Saw that she was once a band vocalist, which I'm sure you already know since she's your-"

 

Joohyun raised the stapler on the air once again.

 

"So as I was saying," Seulgi immediately continued. "I asked her about it. Like why she was applying as a secretary instead of a singer or the likes. She told me she couldn't sing anymore."

 

Joohyun frowns. "What does that mean?"

 

"Hm, she said she had a vocal nodule before."

 

"B-but it could be treated or operated on, right? O-or if not, a person could still sing even with a vocal nodule. They just have to.. like, relearn how to use their voice despite the nodule. Right?" 

 

Seulgi suppressed a smile at Joohyun's obvious concern, which she was sure that the CEO was unconsciously doing. Seulgi was even close to thinking that Joohyun hired Seungwan not to take revenge (like what the older girl said she would), but to have Seungwan near her. Seulgi decided not to say anything though, the stapler was still on Joohyun's hand after all.

 

"Yes, that's right." Seulgi answered instead. "But I don't know, Seungwan said even after several sessions with her vocal coach, her voice just won't come out."

 

"Won't come out?"

 

"Well, yeah. I think something similar to what happened to her when she was young? It's just that this time, it's her ability to sing notes or something like that."

 

"She told that to you too?"

 

"About how she was a mute for almost two years? Yeah." Seulgi grins. "I told you we've bonded enough."

 

"Whatever." Joohyun gave an eyeroll. "So, why can't she sing now?"

 

"I just told you, eonnie, her voice won't come. Like she couldn't find the right voice and notes to use."

 

"I mean, why? What caused it?"

 

"Well, her vocal coach said something about trauma?"

 

"Trauma?? From what?? Accident??"

 

"Uh, Seungwan said she had not been in any accident-"

 

"So, why??"

 

"Well, I really don't know the details to-

 

Joohyun groans. "And I thought she's your future best friend."

 

"Well if you're that curious, and worried, why don't you just ask her yourself?"

 

"I am not curious, and most certainly not worried." 

 

"Obviously."

 

"What did you say?"

 

"Nothing, eonnie. I said you're definitely not."

 

Joohyun could hear the sarcasm. She shakes her head and gets her bag.

 

"Are you walking out on me, eonnie?" Seulgi jokes.

 

"This is my office so if there's any one of us who should walk out, it would be you." Joohyun drew her tongue out.

 

"Tsk, so childish."

 

"Whatever. I'm going out now for a break."

 

"Maybe you're just worried and you want to see your secretary." Seulgi whispered 

 

"What did you say?"

 

Seulgi grins. "Nothing. Nothing, eonnie."

 

"Ugh. I really want to wipe that off your face." 

 

Seulgi could only laugh as she waves Joohyun off. "Go on then, eonnie."

 

When Joohyun went out of the office, she saw Seungwan frowning and focusing hard on her laptop. The secretary was too preoccupied to even notice her presence.

 

Looking at Seungwan reminds Joohyun of her conversation with Seulgi. 

 

So she can't sing anymore?

 

Joohyun clenched her fist. It's not of her concern. Not, and will never be anymore.

 

But why is it that the image of a grinning nine year old Seungwan flashed in her mind.

 

--

"Hyunnie!"

 

Seungwan was walking hand in hand with Mother Superior, a small paper in her hand. Upon seeing Joohyun, Seungwan runs to her.

 

"Joohyunnie! Look! Halmeoni asked us in class to write down everything that we love the most in this world." She hands Joohyun the paper. "And I'm giving this paper to you."

 

Joohyun chuckles at Seungwan's excitement. "Okay. But why?"

 

"Because I want you to always remember it." Seungwan grins.

 

Joohyun looks at the paper, expecting to see several lists. To her surprise, Seungwan only wrote two.

 

  1. Hyunnie

  2. Singing

 

Joohyun couldn't control the wide smile that formed on her lips. 

 

Mother Superior walked towards her and peeked at the paper. She then faked a gasp and looked at Seungwan, acting hurt.

 

"I'm so sad, Seungwan-ah."

 

"Oh? Why halmeoni?"

 

"I'm not on the list. Does that mean that you don't love me?"

 

Seungwan's eyes widened while Joohyun could only laugh. She knows Mother Superior is joking after all.

 

"Oh, no. How can I forget? Of course I love you too, halmeoni." She turned to Joohyun shyly. "Can I borrow the paper for a while, Hyunnie?"

 

Joohyun nods, handing back the paper to Seungwan. The younger girl runs to her classroom and just a minute later, she hands Joohyun the paper again. "Here."

 

Both Joohyun and Mother Superior looked at the paper once more.

 

  1. Hyunnie

  2. Singing

  3. Halmeoni

 

Mother Superior laughs. "I know I can't compete with Joohyun. But really, Seungwan, singing over me?"

 

Seungwan could only grin. 

--
 

Joohyun wants to ignore the way her heart clenched at that memory.

 

She likes singing so much. And to think that she can't do that now.. 

 

Joohyun shakes her head, pushing her thoughts away. No. I don't care about that. I don't. 


 

**

 

"Joohyun eonnie?"

 

"Yes, Yerim-ah?"

 

"Uh.. Do you have a scheduled appointment with anyone today?"

 

"No, I don't think so. Why?"

 

"Well.. Joy Park's driver is here. He said she's in the car right now and would want to talk to you if you have the time right now?"

 

Joohyun raised her brow upon hearing Yerim's answer. "Who?"

 

"Uhh.. He said it's Joy Park."

 

"Joy Park??"

 

"Yes, eonnie. THE Joy Park! The actress, the number one endorser-"

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes. "Of course I know who she is, Yerim-ah. But why would she be here in our company?"

 

"Well, I don't know. She said she wants to talk with the CEO. So? What should I tell her driver?"

 

Joohyun has no idea about this sudden visit. She doesn't even know Joy Park personally, but she knows that she's Korea's sweetheart. Whatever it is, she hopes it's good news.

 

"Tell him I could make time. He could send Joy Park-ssi to my office."

 

"Okay. Noted that, eonnie."

 

Joohyun called for Seulgi too, who was just as curious as she is about this sudden visit of the popular actress. Ten minutes later, Joy Park arrived at her office. Joohyun has seen her multiple times on TV, but she thought that the actress is even more beautiful in person, exuding her own charm and charisma. No wonder she's Korea's favorite, Joohyun thought.

 

"Good afternoon, Ms. Park. Please have a seat." 

 

Joy Park bows and shakes Joohyun's hand. "You have a lovely office. You're the CEO, right?" She asked as she took the seat across from Joohyun. 

 

"Yes, I'm Bae Joohyun." She then gestured to Seulgi. "And she's the general manager, Kang Seulgi."

 

"Nice to meet you, Ms. Seulgi." 

 

The two shake hands.

 

"Likewise, Ms. Park."

 

"I must admit, this is such an unexpected visit, Ms. Park." Joohyun addressed the actress. "What can we do for you?"

 

"Uh well, I'm not sure if you already heard the news. But my contract with my previous company ended, and I'm not planning to renew the contract with them."

 

It was big news in the entertainment industry for a week now so Joohyun had already seen the news. To be honest, she was surprised when she heard the news because Joy Park's career has been doing well and it seemed that her previous company had a big role in that, so she was wondering what made the actress not renew her contract. 

 

"I've seen the news, Ms. Park. You are the nation's sweetheart afterall." Joohyun replied with a smile. 

 

"Thank you, Ms. Joohyun." Joy grins unabashedly. "But to get back on the topic, and not to be boastful, but I've been offered by different companies to sign with them. But I still haven't signed into any."

 

Joohyun nods. She had seen it in the news too. But something is still not adding up. "And.. you're here because?"

 

"Well, if you guys want me and if you think that I'm a good fit for this company, then I'm thinking of signing a contract with you." Joy answered with a wide, confident grin.

 

Joohyun couldn't even hide her surprise. The most in demand actress in their country right now, wanting to be a part of their company? She exchanged a glance with Seulgi, who has her jaw hanging open. 

 

"Uhm.. If I may ask, Ms. Park," Seulgi, despite being more shocked than Joohyun, was the first to react. "I mean, having you in our company is such a huge honor. But uhm, may I ask why you chose us instead of other bigger and more well-known labels?"

 

"Well, I've been in my previous company for ten years. And though I'm grateful for what they did to my career, I felt like I needed something new." Joy answered. "And I also did some research. Though your company is new, you were both exceptional employees from a famous company in America. So, I know that I have nothing to worry about."

 

Joohyun was skeptical. "Ms. Park, I really appreciate your words. But if you feel that you need something new, still, you can choose a different company. Like you've said, there were a lot who wanted you. Yet, you were choosing us. And I just think that there's more to it than the reason you just told us." Her tone was cautious yet respectful. "As the CEO, I felt like I had to know."

 

With the way Joy Park was just staring at her for a couple of seconds, Joohyun thought she had just changed the latter's mind. Just then, Joy chuckles. 

 

"You're perceptive, Ms. Joohyun."

 

A part of Joohyun felt relieved that the actress didn't take her words the wrong way. After all, signing Joy Park in their company will definitely be beneficial for them. 

 

"Okay, you got me." Joy grins as she raises her arms in surrender. "Well, it's true that I wanted change. But there's a more specific reason why I chose your company."

 

Joohyun nods. "And that is?"

 

"I happened to know someone who is working here in your company." Joy answered. "I was actually kind of expecting that I'll see her on my way here to your office. But maybe she's on lunch break?"

 

Once again, Joohyun and Seulgi exchange glances.

 

"Oh. What's the name of the person you're looking for?" Seulgi asked.

 

"She's-"

 

A knock interrupted Joy. The door was opened by Seungwan who was carrying a tray of food. 

 

"Joohyun sajangnim, here's your lunch- oh." Seungwan looks surprised and a bit embarrassed. "I'm sorry. I didn't know you were in a-"

 

"Seungwan eonnie!"

 

Before Joohyun could process Joy's call, the actress already leapt from her chair and ran towards Seungwan. 

 

"It's really you!" Joy held both of Seungwan's shoulders. "Ah, we finally met again!"

 

"O-oh.." Seungwan was confused at first before her eyes lit up just after a few seconds. "Sooyoung-ah??"

 

"Yes! It's me, eonnie!" Joy hugs Seungwan, being mindful of the tray the latter is carrying.

 

Joohyun frowns at the sight before her. First, the two obviously know each other. Seungwan even called Joy by her real name. And secondly, they were hugging in front of her.

 

"Oh my gosh!" Seungwan exclaimed. "I didn't think we'd see each other again! What are you doing here anyway?"

 

"I saw you in the newspaper by accident." Joy answered. "So I thought I'd come here." 

 

Joohyun heard it and knew that the newspaper Joy was talking about was when Seungwan and Seulgi went to Daegu for the meeting with the investors. The successful deal made it to the media, hence the pictures. 

 

Seungwan's smile was so wide that it irked Joohyun. 

 

"I'm so happy to see you, oh my-"

 

Joohyun cleared . 

 

The reaction from Joohyun stopped the two from their own bubble. 

 

"Oh, I'm sorry, sajangnim." Seungwan turned to Seulgi too. "Bujangnim."

 

"It's fine." Seulgi answered softly.

 

Joy chuckles and turns to Joohyun and Seulgi. "I apologize also. I was carried away."

 

Seulgi waves both hands dismissively. "It's okay, Ms. Park."

 

Seungwan then placed the tray at the center table. "I'll just leave it here, sajangnim."

 

Joohyun nods.

 

Seungwan pats Joy's shoulder. "I'll go ahead first."

 

Joy bobs her head. "I'll see you after the meeting."

 

Seungwan nodded and smiled. "I'm just outside."

 

After Seungwan left, Joy went back to her previous seat. "I apologize again for the disturbance."

 

"No worries, Ms. Park." Joohyun answered, a bit passive this time.

 

"So," Seulgi decided to lead the conversation instead, noticing the change in the CEO's mood. "-the one you were talking about earlier is Seungwan?"

 

"Yes." Joy nods happily. She then frowns. "Uh, but wait. I thought Seungwan eonnie was your secretary?"

 

Seulgi shakes her head. "She just came there with me. But Seungwan is actually Joohyun eonnie's secretary."

 

"I see." Joy acknowledged the information with a nod. 

 

"Oh, and how did you know Seungwan by the way?"

 

"Ah. We actually met in the US."

 

"US?" Joohyun asked, confused. "Ms. Son has been in the US?"

 

"Yes. For two years, I think?" Joy answered. 

 

"Oh, and how did you two meet?" Seulgi asked. Joohyun wouldn't admit that she's interested to know too, but somehow commends Seulgi for asking.

 

"Well.. three years ago, I went to the US for a vacation. It was when I had the big break in my career after the drama that I did then became a hit. But I guess the public's reaction became too overwhelming for me so I requested for a temporary vacation, then I went to the US."

 

Joy started narrating her story.

 

"I remember I was in a park, brooding, when a short, bubbly girl sat beside me and offered me her bubble tea. She said she noticed how solemn looking I was and that a cold drink might help lighten up my mood." Joy laughs. "She didn't even know who I was. And yes, that girl was Seungwan eonnie."

 

"And I don't know, maybe it's because of her kind nature or the fact that she didn't know me at first, but I found myself confiding my problems and worries to her." Joy continued. "I expected her to dismiss my worries, because that's what the people I know would always say, especially since my career started thriving. But Seungwan eonnie.. She told me that it's okay to take a rest, to take everything slowly, and that I was doing fine." 

 

"She just said the right words that I wanted to hear." Joy grins. "And we have become friends since then, but then she had to go back to Korea. I was wanting to meet her again and I didn't even know where she was staying until I saw that newspaper. Then I decided that I would join the company where she is working." She then turns to Joohyun, albeit shyly. "But please don't get me wrong, Ms. Joohyun. Yes, I'm here because of Seungwan eonnie, but like I've said, I did my research and I trust you and your company."

 

Joohyun would admit that some of Joy's words bothered her, but she didn't take any offense in any of that. She smiled kindly. "No worries, Ms. Park. And of course, it would be an honor to have you here in our company." She turned to Seulgi. "Ms. Kang, please have a contract prepared for Ms. Park."

 

"Will do, Ms. Joohyun." Seulgi nods. "I would have it ready within this day."

 

"Okay." Joohyun acknowledged it. "Ms. Park, you can drop by whenever you're free to review the contract."

 

"Well, I'm free tomorrow, if the contract is done by then. Maybe we could meet for dinner?"

 

Joohyun considered the idea. "I think it would be nice, Ms. Park."

 

"Nice. So, I guess I'll get going then? Just let me know of the time tomorrow." Joy stood, and Joohyun and Seulgi followed. The three shake hands.

 

"Will do, Ms. Park. Have a great day."

 

"Wow." Was Seulgi's first word as they watched Joy leave the office. "Korea's most in demand artist in our company. Is this for real, eonnie?"

 

"Well, I can't believe it either."

 

Seulgi looks at Joohyun knowingly. "You don't sound excited, eonnie."

 

"I don't know what you're talking about." Joohyun glares at Seulgi. "Just prepare the contract. Now."

 

"If I didn't know better, I'll say you're jealous." Seulgi whispered.

 

"What did you say?" 

 

"I said, I'll prepare the contract, eonnie." Seulgi grinned from ear to ear. "Dinner tomorrow would be exciting."

 

Joohyun could only shake her head. 


 

**

 

The following day, Joohyun went to a partner company to do some business with its COO. Seungwan, being her secretary, came with her. The meeting was a success, especially since the COO is an old friend of hers she met in the US, so they kind of already know each other's business preferences. 

 

"Joohyun." The COO called her once only him, Joohyun, and Seungwan were left at his office. "You're really impressive."

 

Joohyun grins. "Likewise, Minho-yah."

 

Minho chuckles. "So, do you have any free time today? Wanna have some lunch first before you go back to your company? Maybe we could catch up too?"

 

Joohyun looks at her wristwatch. "Oh, okay then. I have some time to spare." She turns to Seungwan. "You go ahead first, Ms. Son. Take the car with you."

 

"Great!" Minho offered his hand to Joohyun. "Then let's-"

 

"Uh, excuse me, Joohyun sajangnim."

 

Seungwan's words seem rushed that both Joohyun and Minho turned to her in an instant. 

 

Joohyun raised her brow. "Yes?"

 

"Well.. you, uhm.. You have a meeting with Seulgi bujangnim in an hour."

 

"Okay." Joohyun nods. "Minho and I will be finished by then."

 

Minho hums. "I promise to bring you back to your office in time for your meeting, Ma'am."

 

Joohyun laughs and playfully hits Minho's shoulder.

 

"But it's the rush hour." Seungwan answered back. "There would be traffic and.. and.. you could be late for the meeting, sajangnim. So, I don't think.. you should.. go."

 

Joohyun frowns at her secretary. She heaved a sigh. "Minho, I just have something to discuss with my secretary. Could you just wait for me down the lobby?"

 

Minho nods. "Sure. I'll leave the both of you then." 

 

As soon as Minho left, Joohyun glared at her secretary. "What do you think you were doing? Are you telling me what I should and should not do?"

 

Seungwan lowers her head. "No, sajangnim. I'm just reminding you that-"

 

"And I already told you that I'll be there in time!" Joohyun raised her voice. To her, it seemed that Seungwan was prohibiting her by going out with someone else, and it angered her because the latter has no right. Not after Seungwan broke her heart. "And besides, why do I even have to explain anything to you?"

 

Seungwan was still lowering her head so Joohyun couldn't see her eyes but she noticed how Seungwan swallowed a lump in . 

 

"I'm.. I'm sorry, sajangnim."

 

Just then, Joohyun's phone vibrated. To calm herself, she turns her gaze away from Seungwan and picks her phone instead. It was a text message from Seulgi.

 

Eonnie, Ms. Park confirmed with the contract signing at dinner tonight. She was hoping Seungwan could be there as well. Well, Seungwan will be there anyway since she's your secretary but I also messaged her in case. 

 

Joohyun grits her teeth. It didn't calm her. In fact, she really couldn't understand but it angered her even more. And there's nothing and no one else to divert her anger to but with the person who's in front of her. 

 

"Listen here, Ms. Son. Minho is a friend and I could go anywhere with him for as long as I like. In fact, I can go with anyone I want. Like how you can go out with Ms. Park or anyone you want to." Okay, Joohyun didn't know where that last sentence came from and why did she suddenly mention the actress's name. 

 

Hearing it, Seungwan lifts her head to look at her. The secretary is staring at her, like trying to read her. Realizing this, Joohyun averts her gaze somewhere else.

 

"Joohyun sajangnim, Ms. Park is a friend. Just a friend."

 

Surprised at Seungwan's answer, Joohyun unconsciously turned her head to Seungwan, meeting the latter's eyes once more. The younger girl is looking at her intently, as if to assure her.

 

Assure her? Joohyun questions her own thoughts. What does Seungwan need to assure me of?

 

A sudden realization hit her. 

 

Did she think that I'm jealous? 

 

Joohyun's eyes widened for a fraction of a second. No, I am not jealous! Why would I be jealous?

 

Joohyun clenched her fist. I am not jealous! The nerve of her think that I'm getting jealous over her and that actress?!

 

"I don't care, Ms. Son!" 

 

Seungwan jumps a little at how she just lost her composure and shouts. 

 

Clearing , Joohyun tried to control her anger. "I don't care about any of it. Do what you want to do but don't you dare tell me what to do! May I remind you that you're just my secretary. Nothing more."

 

She didn't get to see Seungwan's reaction or hear what the latter had to say because Joohyun already stormed off outside the office.


 

**

 

"Is the contract okay with you, Ms. Park?" Joohyun asked as Joy finished reading the papers. The two, together with Seungwan and Seulgi went to a fancy restaurant to review the actress's contract and to have dinner. "Or do you have anything else to add?"

 

"The contract is good, Ms. Joohyun. The terms and conditions are acceptable too." Joy answered. "But may I ask who'll be my manager though?"

 

"We'll introduce you to the managers in our company, and we'll let you decide on that matter."

 

"Oh, if that's the case then, can Seungwan eonnie be my manager instead?"

 

"What?" Seungwan asked, surprised. Seulgi was trying to control her laughter, while Joohyun could only stare at Joy.

 

Seungwan whispered to the girl beside her. "Yah, Sooyoung-ah. I don't know how to be a manager."

 

"You could learn though." Joy looks at Joohyun once more. "What do you think, sajangnim?"

 

Joohyun glanced at Seungwan. "I guess that's up to Ms. Son. If she likes it, then it would be fine with me."

 

"Fair enough." Joy answers happily as she turns to face Seungwan. "So, do you want to be my manager, eonnie?"

 

Joohyun averted her gaze when Seungwan looked up to her. Since her outburst earlier, Joohyun has been in a bad mood and has been ignoring her secretary. But with other people around, she has to be professional.

 

"Uhm, I'm sorry, Sooyoung-ah." Seungwan answered, grinning at Joy. "But I think I'll be more suitable to be Ms. Joohyun's secretary."

 

Joohyun takes a sip of her juice, acting nonchalant.

 

Joy huffs. "Okay, eonnie. I guess I'll just have to accept that you don't like me."

 

"Yah, that's-"

 

Joy laughs, pinching Seungwan's cheeks. "I'm just joking, eonnie."

 

Joohyun unconsciously clenched her fist.

 

Luckily, their dinner arrived. Seulgi had already started eating, while Seungwan and Joy were chatting. Joohyun doesn't want to hear any of it, and not that she was interested either. But to distract herself, Joohyun focused on her food instead.

 

"Oh, by the way, eonnie." Joy addressed Seungwan. Joohyun tried not to listen, she really did, but she has no choice since all of them are on the same table, and it would be rude for the actress if she would just go. "Have you finally found your ex-girlfriend?" 

 

Seungwan chokes on her food. Joohyun nearly did the same. Luckily, she was able to control herself. 

 

Don't be too dramatic, Joohyun. The CEO told herself. Just because you heard the word "ex-girlfriend", it already meant that it's you. For all you know, she had different girlfriends after you.

 

"What was her name again?" Joy continued, thinking.

 

"Sooyoung-ah, I don't think-"

 

"Ah!" Joy snapped her fingers. "It's Hyunnie, right? That's her name?"

 

Joohyun froze. Beside her, she heard Seulgi gasps. 

 

"Uh.." Seungwan laughs awkwardly. "Let's just talk about it some other time, Sooyoung-ah."

 

But it seemed like Joy didn't hear her. Instead, the actress's attention was on Joohyun and Seulgi. She finds their reaction interesting.

 

"Wait. What's with the reaction?" Joy asked, looking at Joohyun and Seulgi. Then, her eyes widened as if she realized something. "Wait. You know someone who's called Hyunnie?"

 

"Oh, uhh.." Seulgi side-glanced at Joohyun. "W-well.."

 

"No." Joohyun finally answered, her tone firm. "We don't know her."

 

"Ah, is that so?" Joy sighs. "For a moment, I thought I could finally see Seungwan eonnie be happy."

 

Joohyun raised her brow at Joy's answer.

 

"Yah, in case you've forgotten, I'm just here and I can hear you." Seungwan muttered softly. "Besides, you talk as if I'm not happy."

 

"But you're not?" Joy answered Seungwan. "Sure you may look like it but you're really not. Do I have to remind you of the number of times I saw you cry-"

 

"Okay!" Seungwan immediately cut Joy off. Joohyun heard Seungwan whisper along the lines of "not here" to Joy. Fortunately, Joy gives in. "I think I'll go get our desserts now." Seungwan said and excused herself.

 

An awkward silence filled the atmosphere after Seungwan left. Meanwhile, there are questions in Joohyun's head, especially after hearing all the things Joy had said. But she chose to be stubborn and not to care. In the end, she chose to ignore what she had heard instead.

 

Unfortunately for her, Joy is still not done.

 

"That Hyunnie is really lucky." Joy muttered, more to herself, but loud enough for the two other occupants to hear. "I wonder where the hell she is now."

 

Hearing this, Joohyun couldn't hold her silence. "Excuse me?? She's lucky??" 

 

I am lucky? You don't even know anything!

 

Joy turned to her with raised eyebrows. "What?"

 

Seulgi, who was quick to notice the sudden tensed air, reacted fast. She silently held Joohyun's arm, hoping to stop the latter from answering back.

 

"O-oh, don't take it the wrong way, Ms. Park." Seulgi laughs, albeit awkwardly. "Joohyun eonnie is often like that but she's not angry or anything. What she meant was, she was uh, wondering how come you said so." Seulgi nudges Joohyun's elbow. "Right, eonnie?"

 

Joohyun had to internally take deep breaths. Keep your cool, Bae Joohyun. "Yes."

 

Beside her, Seulgi sighs in relief.

 

"Oh, alright." Fortunately, Joy bought the excuse. The actress laughed. "I'm sorry. I thought you were suddenly mad or something."

 

Seulgi chuckles, still a bit awkwardly, while Joohyun forced a smile. 

 

"But well, if you're wondering how come I say that, that Hyunnie is one lucky girl, it's simply because Seungwan eonnie loves her a lot."

 

Joohyun had the urge to scoff. "Do you even know why they broke up?" Joohyun asked before she could stop herself.

 

"Well, Seungwan eonnie said it's her fault."

 

Yeah. At least we're clear about that.

 

"But did that Hyunnie have to give up and leave Seungwan eonnie like that?"

 

"What?" Joohyun clenched her fist. So now I look like the bad guy?

 

Fortunately, Seulgi speaks up before Joohyun could lose her control. "Uhm, I'm really not sure, Ms. Park. But Hyunnie must have her reason, right? And not to side with anyone, but I just think it would be unfair to talk about her without knowing her side of the story."

 

For a moment, Joohyun thought that Joy would still argue. Luckily, the latter heaved a defeated sigh.

 

"You're right, Seulgi-ssi. Ugh. I must be crazy for saying that." Joy grins shyly. "I apologize. I'm not usually like that. Guess I was just triggered because I met Seungwan eonnie again and well.." Joy sighs. "I remembered how Seungwan eonnie sacrificed almost everything she had just to find her ex-girlfriend again."

 

That caught Joohyun's attention. She raised her eyebrows questioningly. 

 

Seulgi, who seemed to know what Joohyun was thinking, and who was just as curious as the latter, was the one who asked. "What do you mean?"

 

"I told you that I met Seungwan eonnie in the US, right? She actually went there to go after her Hyunnie and to win her back." Joy answered. 

 

Joohyun was stunned. She.. did?

 

"Seungwan eonnie had no idea where Hyunnie was exactly. So her going to the US to look for her ex was like trying to find a coin in the middle of an ocean. To add to that, Seungwan eonnie had only managed to go to the US a year after Hyunnie left. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with Seungwan eonnie's financial status then. So she worked and worked for a year to earn just enough money to go to the US and live there until she found her ex-girlfriend."

 

Something pricked inside Joohyun's heart. 

 

"So alas, after a year, she managed to go to the US. But well, I'm sure we all know how close to impossible it is to look for someone who obviously doesn't want to be found." Joy continued. "When we met, I think she was already in her second year there and still, no luck in finding Hyunnie. It hurt me then to know that she was living alone in a foreign land for that long, going from places after places and yet, luck's still not on her side. She was even doing multiple part-time jobs to support herself. But, I think what saddened me the most, and what saddens me still, is whenever I think about how she set aside her dream of becoming a singer because for her, her Hyunnie comes first."

 

Joohyun grits her teeth, not because of anger, but because of the squeezing of her chest at Joy's words.

 

"Because for her, her Hyunnie comes first."

 

Joohyun shakes those words away from her mind. She hurt me. She told herself instead like a mantra. She hurt me. She hurt me.

 

"What..do you mean?" Seulgi asked. Joohyun wanted to glare at Seulgi for asking. She doesn't want to hear anymore. If she could, she would just walk away but she's worried that her legs might shake if she does.

 

"Oh, right. Did you know that Seungwan eonnie can sing?" Joy asked, answering Seulgi. "And she just can't sing. She's good at it."

 

Seulgi nods. "Yeah. I kind of know it. But she said she was diagnosed with a vocal nodule?"

 

"That's right." Joy nods solemnly. "She was singing everyday at gigs as one of her side jobs in the States. Maybe because of that, she overworked , and yeah, she had vocal nodules." Joy explained. "We knew each other already when she had that sickness. I can still remember how hard she tried to hide her sadness when she told me that she couldn't sing again. She was advised to get a surgery, and to see a psychiatrist because the vocal coach thought it's unusual that given her talent in singing, Seungwan eonnie couldn't relearn how to sing. But well, of course eonnie refused to see a Psychiatrist or to get surgery."

 

"Why?" Seulgi asked, curious.

 

Joy shrugs. "She said she needed to save her money so she could continue supporting herself in the US while she looks for Hyunnie. She refused my help too. I tried to convince her a lot of times because she really likes singing, but she said it could wait. She said Hyunnie comes first."

 

Joohyun clenched her shaking fist. 

 

Joy smiled sadly. "I still remember how she told me that she could sacrifice everything just to be with Hyunnie again because, in her own words, Hyunnie is the most important for her."

 

Joohyun felt she heard enough. She stood abruptly, surprising Seulgi and Joy. 

 

"Excuse me. I suddenly don't-" Joohyun had to pause to hide a quiver in her voice. "-feel well. Got to go." She turned to Joy and gave a small bow. "I'm sorry for leaving suddenly, Ms. Park. Seulgi will go over the rest of the contract details with you."

 

With that, Joohyun quickly left. 


 

**


 

Seulgi silently sat beside Joohyun at the latter's kitchen counter. She takes the soju that Joohyun had been drinking and poured one for herself. 

 

"How was the deal?" Joohyun asked, staring mindlessly at her shot glass.

 

"Sooyoung-ssi has signed the contract." Seulgi answered. "Oh, and she insisted that we call her her birth name now that she is working with us."

 

Joohyun hums. 

 

"How are you feeling, eonnie?"

 

Joohyun shrugs and doesn't answer.

 

"Seungwan.." Seulgi started cautiously. "She was quite worried when she went back and Sooyoung-ssi told her that you had to leave first because you're not feeling well."

 

Again, Joohyun didn't answer.

 

"Eonnie.. Care to share what's on your mind?"

 

Joohyun sighs and drinks her shot in one go. "I'm not..feeling guilty of anything. That I am sure." Joohyun answered, her voice tired. "That time, I just chose myself. Was it wrong?"

 

"No, eonnie. It's not." Seulgi pats Joohyun's back. "Prioritizing ourselves is never wrong. But, uhm, I'm sorry, eonnie but I just have to ask. Uhm, have you tried to listen to her explanation before?"

 

"I did, once. Before I left for the States."

 

Seulgi nods, taking in her answer. "And?"

 

Joohyun shrugs. "She has no real explanation for it, and just kept saying the same thing. She agreed to meet Eunbin for dinner in exchange for hiring her back to their company. Then, she couldn't remember what happened after that and the next thing she knew, we were at that hotel room."

 

Seulgi bit her lip, as if trying to be cautious with her words. "Eonnie, what if.. I mean, just hypothetically, what if Seungwan was telling the truth? What if Seungwan was drugged and hence, it lead to what you saw?"

 

Joohyun grips the shot glass she's holding tight. "I'm gonna kill Park Eunbin."

 

"And.. how about Seungwan?"

 

Joohyun flinched and didn't answer for a while. 

 

"I mean.. I was just curious, eonnie. Because if it was all a set up.."

 

Joohyun sighs and drinks from her bottle. "It's not like it didn't cross my mind back then- that possibility."

 

"Oh." Seulgi was surprised. "But?"

 

"But I was too angry that time to think that it was highly possible. Besides, the only difference it would have made is that I probably would have comforted her first instead of lashing out."

 

Seulgi raised brow. "But it's a huge difference? One that can change how you two ended up five years ago?"

 

Drinking once more, Joohyun shakes her head. "I would have comforted her and made sure she was feeling okay. But, I would still break up with her."

 

"What? Why, eonnie?"

 

"Our break up.. was not because she had with someone else, Seulgi-yah. Yes, set up or not, seeing them like that hurts me a lot. Too much, even. But it was more than that, Seul. It was more than that."

 

Joohyun paused to take another shot. "And unlike what Joy Park said, I didn't give up easily. During the course of our relationship, we fought several times about Park Eunbin, and each time, I was hoping, giving her a chance to stay away from her. She knew how I don't like Eunbin, and how that girl made me feel insecure and worried. But everytime, she would just dismiss my worries and still went out with Eunbin. It.. broke my heart, time and time again. And maybe it's my fault too that I just kept that to myself and didn't say it back then. I guess, I just didn't want her to feel that I don't trust her. Because I did, Seulgi-yah. I trusted her with all my heart, to let her do all the things she wanted." 

 

Joohyun pours soju on her shot glass again and drinks it. "What I saw that night in the hotel room and the fact that she lied to me were just the last straw. That was the first time, you know? The first time that she lied to me. And it's something that has got to do with Park Eunbin." Joohyun sighs. "I know she had her reasons for lying to me, but I just couldn't understand. I know she just wanted to help me, but she could have just trusted me to pull us through, just like how I put my trust in her. But she didn't. Instead, she broke her promise to me to not see Eunbin again. For the first time, she broke a promise and lied to me. All because of Eunbin. It was always about Park Eunbin. And.. it was just.. The hurt became too much that if I didn't leave, I felt like I'd lose myself. So, I left." Joohyun heaved a sigh exasperatedly. "For the first time, I decided to choose myself, and left."

 

Again, Joohyun takes another drink and continues. "When I heard what Joy-ssi shared earlier, I didn't feel guilty for choosing myself and for leaving. Rather, I felt guilty because it made me realize that she suffered too. More so, if she was telling the truth and Eunbin just set her up. I was so hurt that I became mad and spiteful at her that I failed to see, and think, that like me, she was hurt too, and might still be hurting too. And all the things that she had to go through after our break-up...it was just.. it's too much for Seungwan to take."

 

Joohyun thought this was the first time that she consciously said Seungwan's name again. After their break up, she refused to say her name again so she would not be reminded of the younger girl. This is the first time she said her name in years and yet, it still doesn't sound foreign to her. There was still that familiarity. She mentally gave a bitter chuckle at that thought.

 

"So.." Seulgi's voice interrupted her thoughts. "Now that you had that realization, what are you planning to do then, eonnie?"

 

Joohyun shrugs. "I don't know actually." That's the truth. "It still hurts, Seulgi-yah. Despite what I heard from Joy-ssi today, it still hurts." A lone tear escaped her eyes which Joohyun wiped immediately. "Everytime I see her, I am still reminded of that night and the pain that I felt. And because of that, I don't.. I don't think I can love her again."

 

Joohyun then took a deep breath. She massaged her forehead. "But on the other hand, after knowing what she went through, I think it's also not fair for her that I treat her harshly. Not after what I learned."  There it is again, the feeling like her heart is being pricked. "Seungwan has been through a lot already." 

 

"Well then.. have you ever thought of being friends with her again, eonnie?"

 

Joohyun turned to Seulgi. Friends?

 

"I mean, if you don't think you could be her lover again yet at the same time, you don't want to treat her badly, then I think the better solution is if the two of you become friends instead."

 

Joohyun frowns, thinking. "But.. Do you think we could be friends again? After everything?"

 

"Why not, eonnie?" Seulgi shrugs. "You two were friends first before you were lovers. Right?"

 

Joohyun silently agreed.

 

"Besides, your friendship was your best foundation. If you can't be lovers again, don't you want to at least have her as your friend again?"

 

"But it may complicate things, don't you think?"

 

"Well, it may. But it may not be too. I guess it'll just depend on how you two are going to deal with it. But I guess, it's okay to try and see where it goes first."

 

Joohyun takes another shot of soju. 

 

Friends, huh?