Chapter II

Begin Again

II

 

"Hello?"

 

"Hi, Joohyun eonnie! Guess what?"

 

"Okay. What is it that makes you so excited, Kang Seulgi?"

 

"I finally found you a secretary, eonnie!"

 

"What? Already? Isn't today supposed to be the initial interview only? And I would do the final interview for those who passed."

 

"Yes, I know. But remember, you told me that I'll be in charge and that I can do whatever and however I want. Right?"

 

"Well, yeah, I did say that."

 

"That's why I decided to hire her already!"

 

"Alright. Fine. Just be sure that she's someone who will do her job properly."

 

"Oh, don't worry, eonnie. I think I might have just finally found the perfect secretary for you."

 

"Hm. You seem pretty confident about this one, huh?"

 

"I am, eonnie. I mean, she came prepared and did her research. And she just.. gets you."

 

"Gets me?"

 

"Yeah. Like I said, she did her research about you and she just understands your personality."

 

"She researched about me? Yah, Seulgi-yah, that sounds like a stalker!"

 

"She's not, eonnie, okay? You know I do background checks first, right?"

 

"Fine, fine. I trust your judgement anyway."

 

"As you should. Anyway, eonnie, you'll meet her tomorrow. But I won't be in the office so I already asked Yerim to assist your new secretary."

 

"Okay. Thanks, Seulgi-yah."



 

**


 

A call on her intercom stopped Joohyun from the report she was reading. She answered the line. 

 

"Yes, Yerim?"

 

"Joohyun eonnie, Seulgi eonnie asked me to assist your new secretary. Shall I ask her to meet you now? Is it a good time?"

 

Ah, right. The new secretary. I haven't even read her resume yet. Joohyun thought. She closed her laptop for the meantime and searched for a folder from her table. Found it. 

 

"Okay, Yerim-ah. Let her in."

 

Joohyun puts the phone down and opens the folder where the resume of her new secretary was compiled. She knows Seulgi had already hired her but she can still do her final interview. 

 

As soon as she sees the resume though, it is as if Joohyun has seen a ghost- no, more than a ghost- like some powerful creature who has the power to render her immovable and can kill her heart in an instant.

 

With shaky hands, she immediately dialled the intercom.

 

"Yes, eonnie?"

 

"Yerim, w-wait. Don't let her co-"

 

But the door to her office was already pushed open. 

 

And standing before her was someone who, even after five years, can still make her heart beats fast. It was for a different reason then, but now, her heart would combust because of too much anger and pain.

 

Son Seungwan. 

 

How stupid of her not to ask the name of this new secretary. That is such basic information. How come she missed it?

 

And how come.. is this person standing before her? After all the pain this person caused her. For five years, Joohyun was trying to heal her heart and then now, she would just show up like nothing?

 

Joohyun could still picture it. The image that ruined her is still fresh in her mind.

 

Her girlfriend, the only love of her life, sleeping in a bed with an equally girl. 

 

Half an hour before that eventful scene, she received a message from Park Eunbin asking her to meet at this one hotel where Seungwan was working part-time. Joohyun knows her. Eunbin is the daughter of the then CEO of a famous entertainment company and Joohyun has already met her in person a couple of times through Seungwan. Seungwan was working part-time as a band vocalist at this bar where Eunbin is a regular, hence the two were soon introduced to each other. Eunbin even offered Seungwan a contract to join their company, to which Seungwan was happy about. 

 

But Joohyun doesn't like her, not one bit, because she knows that Park Eunbin has a hots for her girlfriend, and she wants to have Seungwan. She tried to warn Seungwan a couple of times, especially when she noticed that Eunbin would always give Seungwan flirty advances (to which the latter would always respectfully ignore), but of course, being the kind-hearted girl that she is, she assured Joohyun that Eunbin is nothing like that and was just being innocently clingy.

 

Joohyun and Seungwan have fought about it over and over again. The older girl couldn't seem to accept why Seungwan won't stay away from Eunbin, but her girlfriend would always say that, as ugly as it sounds, if she avoids Eunbin, she might lose her job at the company, and she couldn't afford it because it pays well. 

 

"The expenses are getting too much now that we're both in College and we need the money, Hyunnie." Seungwan would often tell her. "And I know that your part-time job is also paying you well but the workload is always too much for you. So, I want to help as much as I can. Please, let me, Hyunnie?"

 

In the end, Joohyun would nod her head and would let Seungwan do what she wanted, all the while trying to forget the building uneasiness in her heart.

 

Until it came to a point where Eunbin did something that Joohyun couldn't hold back anymore. One night as Seungwan was taking a break from her gig, a drunk Eunbin approached her, cornering her in the comfort room and trying to touch Seungwan here and there. It was fortunate that someone was also at the same space that time that Seungwan managed to get Eunbin off her. 

 

Joohyun was furious when Seungwan told it to her. Of course, Seungwan would tell her because she doesn't lie and keep secrets from Joohyun. She was close to slapping the living hell out of Eunbin if not for Seungwan who pleaded with her to stop. In the end, Joohyun just warned Seungwan never to keep in contact with Eunbin again. Fortunately, Seungwan listened to her this time and promised to stay away from Eunbin.

 

Unfortunately though (and as expected), Seungwan's job at Park's company was terminated, leaving the latter to go back to her part-time gigs instead. She got an additional part-time job at a three-star hotel but the total pay she got didn't even come close to what she was receiving before at the Park's, so Joohyun had to work extra harder. There was never a day when Joohyun didn't do overtime work that it even came to a point where she was hospitalized because of dehydration and fatigue. Seungwan felt really bad about it that she kept crying for hours until Joohyun woke up, smiled at her, and told her that everything will be fine.

 

It never did though.

 

When she received that message from Park Eunbin, Joohyun ignored it. She doesn't want anything to do with that girl. But when she reads Seungwan's name in the message that said, 

 

'I know you don't like me and it's up to you to read this, but a friend of mine working at the Queendom hotel said Wendy fainted. I thought you should know.'

 

Joohyun half-run to get into the hotel. She didn't question who that friend is nor how that friend knew about Seungwan. In her mind, there's nothing more important right now than Seungwan.

 

"Where's Seungwan??" Joohyun almost shouts at the receptionist when she arrives at the hotel. 

 

The receptionist, who was shocked and questioning, answered nonetheless. "Suite room, third floor. But she's with-"

 

Joohyun never heard the whole answer as she frantically runs towards the said room. She was panting when she reached the room. Opening it, the room seemed suspiciously quiet. Like she was expecting that there would at least be a person or two who would check on Seungwan. And now that she thinks about it, how come Seungwan was in the Suite room? Are the hotel's owners that kind and considerate to their employees to let them use the suite room instead of just the regular rooms?

 

Before Joohyun could further think of how unsettling and suspicious the situation is, her eyes caught attention of the pieces of clothing and underwears lying messily on the floor. Her heart starts beating erratically and before knows it, she is already standing outside the master's bedroom, holding the door handle with shaky hands.

 

"Please." Joohyun could feel hot tears forming in the corner of her eyes, afraid of what she would see inside the room. She took a deep breath and shook her head. "No. Seungwan is not like that. She wouldn't do this to me, she wouldn't hurt me."

 

Convinced with her trust on Seungwan, Joohyun opens the master's bedroom. 

 

And Joohyun felt a part of her dies.


 

"How dare you." Joohyun was seething in anger. 

 

She could see fears in Seungwan's eyes, but she couldn't care less. 

 

"H-Hyun-"

 

"Don't you dare call me that again!!" Joohyun stood harshly. "You've already lost your right so don't you dare!"

 

Joohyun was glad that she built her office soundproof. Otherwise, her subordinates will surely be aware of what was happening inside her office.

 

"Leave." Joohyun clenched her fist hard, trying to control her anger. "Get out of my office. Get out of my company. And don't you ever dare show your face to me again."

 

But Seungwan remained on her spot, unmoving, her head casted low. 

 

Joohyun treads dangerously towards her. "Are you deaf?! I said, leave!"

 

Seungwan flinched slightly but still refused to budge. 

 

"What, are you really deaf?! Because that would be too pathetic, don't you think?" Joohyun scoffed loudly. "Considering you were mute before."

 

Seungwan lowered her head even more but Joohyun was still able to see the tears in the corner of her eyes.

 

Damn it, Bae Joohyun. Joohyun cursed mentally. You didn't just say that. 

 

"Sorry." Joohyun whispered, turning her back. "Just leave. Please!"

 

"I- I'm.." Seungwan's quivering voice stops Joohyun on her track. "I'm sorry."

 

Joohyun shuts her eyes, clenching her fist. "I am not having this conversation with you. Leave."

 

"Hyunnie, please-"

 

"Stop! Just stop!" Joohyun was raging as she turned back to Seungwan. "What do you want, huh?! Haven't you hurt me enough?!"

 

"No. I'm sorry-" Seungwan reached out but Joohyun slapped her arm away. 

 

"Don't touch me!! Damn it! Can't you just leave?!"

 

"I- I can't.." Seungwan muttered, her voice shaking. "I- If I do, I'm.. I'm afraid I'll lose you again."

 

"You already lost me five years ago when you cheated and lied to me!"

 

"I never cheated on you. I swear, please."

 

"I know what I saw! I can still remember it very clearly in my head. So don't you ever think that the past five years have erased that."

 

"But I swear, I swear I never cheated." Seungwan was almost begging. "I will never do that to you. I- I don't know what happened but-"

 

Joohyun laughs dangerously. "Doesn't this feel like deja vu to you? We've been in this conversation before. And what? You don't know what happened? Really? Up until now that's still your excuse?"

 

"Hyunnie-"

 

"I TOLD YOU NOT TO CALL ME THAT!" This time, Joohyun wasn't able to control herself and slapped Seungwan across the face. "What do you want, huh?! I'm already fine living on my own but you just have to show yourself and ruin everything! Why?!!"

 

Joohyun tightened her fist. "What? Is it money? After all, you agreed to go on that dinner with her because of her money. Right? But now that the Park's company went bankrupt, and now that I have the money, you're running to me? Is that it?"

 

When Seungwan didn't answer, Joohyun went back to her table to get her cheque.  

 

"How much do you want?" She writes on her cheque. "Here. One million won. Will that be enough?"

 

She throws the piece of paper to Seungwan, to which the latter didn't pay any attention to.

 

"Ah. You need more?" Joohyun writes once again. "Here." She pushed the cheque on Seungwan's body, just enough for the latter to stumble a little. "Five million won. Just never show your face to me ever again."

 

"I never wanted that." Seungwan muttered softly. 

 

"Then what?! What more do you want from me when you've already ruined me?!"

 

"Then.. let me pick up the pieces back." Seungwan's stare was soft, nervous, but hopeful. "Let me make you whole again."

 

Joohyun could feel her tears threatening to fall- for what exact reason, she chose not to dwell anymore. All she paid attention to was the anger seeping within.

 

"How dare you!"

 

"Hyun-"

 

"GET OUT! OUT!"

 

"Joohyunnie, plea-"

 

"I SAID, OUT!" Joohyun pushed Seungwan by the shoulder until they were at the door. "Will you go out on your own or do you want me to drag you out of here?!"

 

When Seungwan didn't make a move, Joohyun opened the door harshly. "Don't try me, Ms. Son. I own this company and I don't care if I make a scene here."

 

Finally, Joohyun sees Seungwan giving in. 

 

"Don't." Seungwan whispered in exhaustion. "No need to taint your image just because of me."

 

With slump shoulders, Seungwan steps outside the door, but not before turning back to Joohyun, giving a small bow.

 

"I wish I could take all your pain away, Hyunnie. I am really sorry."


 

**

 

"Yah, Kang Seulgi! 

 

"Ow, eonnie. My ears."

 

"Yah! What have you done?!"

 

"Eonnie, please don't shout! I'm using my earphones. You'll damage my ears. And what do you mean by that? What did I do?"

 

"Ugh!"

 

"Wait, eonnie. Are you drunk? Oh wait- of course not. It's office hours and of course you'll not drink at work-"

 

"I took a leave."

 

"Wait. Like, today?"

 

"Hm. Just got back home."

 

"And you're drinking?"

 

"This is all your fault!"

 

"What? What did I do, eonnie?"

 

"How come you didn't tell me that the new secretary's name is Son Seungwan?"

 

"Wait, I didn't?- Oh right. Now that I think about it, I guess I haven't mentioned her name. But well, you didn't ask either, eonnie."

 

"What? It's the number one basic information to say!"

 

"Agree. It's the number one basic information to ask for too!"

 

"Ugh, Kang Seulgi!"

 

"Hey, eonnie. What's wrong? Why? Do you know Ms. Son?"

 

"I've known that girl all my life."

 

"Ey, don't be dramatic, eonnie. You can't fool me. I know that the only person you've known all your life is- gasp- O-ooh my gosh, eonnie! Don't tell me she's THE ex-girlfriend?"

 

"Yes. She's that girl."

 

"Oh my goodness. That's why she knows you so well. Wait for me, eonnie. I'm coming over."


 

**

 

Joohyun flicked Seulgi's forehead as soon as the latter took the chair across from her at the kitchen counter.

 

"Yah, eonnie."

 

"This is your fault." Joohyun squints her eyes drunkenly at Seulgi. "I thought you did background checks?"

 

"Of course, I did. But in my defense, eonnie, you never really told me your ex's name. You would just call her 'her' or 'that girl', or when you're drunk, you'll call her 'Wannie'."

 

"What? I don't do that!"

 

"Call her 'Wannie'?" Seulgi rolls her eyes. "Yes, you do. But anyway, how could I have known that she's that ex-girlfriend? I only do background checks on what was written on their resume, you know? And your name wasn't there."

 

"Are you saying," Joohyun points her finger at the younger girl. "-that she has already forgotten about me?"

 

"What? No, you drunk girl." Seulgi swats Joohyun's finger away from her face. "I'm saying that there's no way I could have known."

 

"Ugh!" Joohyun groans, taking another shot. 

 

Seulgi sighs. "Do you want me to fire her?"

 

"I already did."

 

"Okay." Seulgi nods in understanding. "And what else happened?"

 

"I made her feel how angry I am." Her grip on the shot glass tightened. "I want her to feel the pain I'm feeling, so that's what I did."

 

"Well, what did you do?"

 

Joohyun drinks. "I shouted at her." Another drink. "I slapped her. I pushed her." Drinks once again. "I made her feel like she's a gold digger. And-" This time, she drinks from the bottle instead. "-and I made fun of her disability when she was young."

 

"Oh, eonnie." 

 

Joohyun slumped her head on the kitchen counter, hiding her face.

 

Seulgi pats her head. "Did it make you feel better then? Are you satisfied?"

 

It took a moment, but Joohyun shakes her head. 

 

"Was I too much?"

 

"Well, eonnie-"

 

Joohyun raised her head, eyes trying to stay focused as she looked at Seulgi. "Or I haven't done enough?"

 

"Eh? What?"

 

"Maybe that's why I still don't feel better after what I did earlier. Because it's not enough. Maybe I should do something more, no?"

 

"Eonnie, I don't-"

 

"Call her, Seulgi-yah." Joohyun flails her hand around. "Tell her to report to the office tomorrow."

 

"But I thought you already fired her."

 

"That's why I'm telling you to call her." Joohyun groans.

 

"Okay, okay. But if I may ask, eonnie. What exactly are you planning to do?"

 

Joohyun finished the remaining soju in one go, placing it back on the counter with a thud. "I'll make sure that she regrets ever coming back."

 

"Eonnie, I don't think that's a good idea."

 

Joohyun grunts in displeasure. "I don't care, Seulgi-yah. I want her to feel the pain she has put me through. I'll make her life difficult for her until I feel satisfied."

 

"Eonnie.."

 

"So, call her, okay?" Joohyun's head drops on the counter once again, her eyes closed. "Tell Wannie I'll see her at the office tomorrow." Joohyun slurred, consciousness slowly drifting off. "I want to see Wannie."

 

Seulgi sighs. "If only you could hear yourself right now, eonnie."


 

**

 

"Joohyun eonnie?"

 

Joohyun answered the intercom. "Yes, Yerim-ah?"

 

"Your secretary is here."

 

This feels like deja vu. Joohyun thought. Only this time, she's now prepared.

 

"Let her in."

 

A few seconds passed before a knock was heard. 

 

Joohyun took a deep breath and steeled her voice. "Come in."

 

Seungwan entered cautiously, a paper bag in her hand. She bowed. "Good morning, Sajangnim."

 

Joohyun notes the formal approach this time. "I see that Ms. Kang has already talked to you?"

 

"She did, sajangnim." Seungwan then hesitated. "And uhm, I'm sorry for approaching you like that yesterday."

 

"Yesterday didn't happen." 

 

Understanding what that meant, Seungwan nods. "Yes, Joohyun sajangnim."

 

"Then let's start." Joohyun gestured towards the stacks of paper on the center table. "Those are the files of all our employees, artists and trainees, and the likes. That's more or less a hundred profiles. Sort them out and compile it. I need it to be ready in soft copy before this day ends, organized and complete. No excuses."

 

"I understand, sajangnim. I'll start working on it." 

 

Before Seungwan gets the papers though, she walks towards the CEO's desk first, making Joohyun raise her brow. Instinctively, she puts her guards up in case something like yesterday happened.

 

"What do you want?" 

 

"Uhm," Seungwan hesitantly puts the paperbag she was holding into Joohyun's office table. "Breakfast, sajangnim."

 

Still with eyebrows raised, Joohyun peeks inside the bag. She grits her teeth, trying to shake away a distant memory of a young, bubbly Seungwan who would always prepare breakfast for her. 

 

Joohyun slides the paper bag back to Seungwan. "Throw it."

 

"Oh." There was the obvious surprise on Seungwan's voice and Joohyun didn't miss the hurt in those soft, brown orbs. "B-but.. You haven't had-"

 

"I said, throw it."

 

With slump shoulders, Seungwan bowed her head. "Yes, sajangnim." She gets back the paper bag and carries the stacks of paper at the table. "Do you want me to get you another breakfast instead, sajangnim?"

 

"Don't bother." Came Joohyun's cold reply. "I don't like breakfast. You'll just be wasting the cafeteria's food."

 

"Oh, alright. T-then, I'll get going now, sajangnim."

 

Joohyun didn't answer that and as soon as Seungwan went out and closed the door, she finally let out the breath she's holding. 

 

"This is what you wanted, Joohyun-ah." Joohyun told herself. "You can do this."


 

**

 

It was half past twelve noon when Joohyun heard a knock, followed by Seungwan's voice.

 

"Joohyun sajangnim, may I come in?"

 

Joohyun took a deep breath- an exercise she told herself to do every time before facing Seungwan.

 

"Go on."

 

Seungwan walks in with a tray of food. "Uhm, Yerim-ssi told me that I should be mindful of the time because you would sometimes prefer to have lunch inside your office so, uhm, here's your lunch, sajangnim. It's from the company's cafeteria. I'll just leave it here." Seungwan said, placing the food at the center table. 

 

"Fine. You may go now." Joohyun answered, not even glancing at her secretary.

 

Seungwan bowed and did as she was told.

 

By four in the afternoon, Joohyun could already feel her eyes getting sore from working in front of her laptop since morning.  She flexed her neck left and right, and leaned back, closing her eyes.

 

"Joohyun sajangnim?" 

 

Joohyun instantly opened her eyes at the sound of Seungwan's voice from outside the door.

 

"May I come in?"

 

Rubbing her eyes, she shakes herself awake and takes a deep breath.

 

"What is it?"

 

Seungwan entered the room, this time with a cup of hot chocolate and a cookie.

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes at the sight. She was dead tired so she easily snapped. "Is this a restaurant? Are you a waitress or something? Why is it that when you come here, you always have food in your hand?"

 

"I'm sorry, sajangnim." Seungwan bowed. "I just thought that you may be tired and might be needing this." 

 

With Seungwan's calm tone and with the way her secretary didn't seem surprised anymore by her unreasonable outburst, Joohyun thought that the latter had already seen this reaction coming, and she was already expecting to get shouted at. 

 

And Joohyun didn't know why a part of her heart aches at that thought.

 

"I'll just leave it here again at the table, sajangnim."

 

After Seungwan left, Joohyun stared mindlessly at the food on her table, contemplating. A minute or so, Joohyun groans and closes her laptop. She went for the couch, grabbed the cup of hot chocolate and took a sip from it. 

 

Joohyun heaved a sigh of satisfaction. She was not used to being served with different types of food. Just a lunch is enough for her to get through the day. In the afternoons, she would just drink her sleepiness away with a bottle of cold water from the fridge in her office, too tired to even ask her previous secretaries to get her a cup of warm drinks. 

 

But now that she had this afternoon snack, Joohyun admits that it is indeed relaxing.

 

It was nearly six in the afternoon when she finally decided to call it a day. Going out of her office, she saw Seungwan still on her office desk. Her secretary is too engrossed on her laptop to even notice her presence. Joohyun walks up to her.

 

"Ms. Son."

 

Seungwan jumps in surprise. "O-oh, sajangnim."

 

Joohyun raised her brow. She peeked inside the secretary's cubicle and saw that Seungwan was still working on the assignment she gave her earlier. Beside Seungwan's laptop, is an unfinished sandwich and bubble tea. 

 

Joohyun scoffs. "I see that you're still not done with what I asked you to." She clicked her tongue. "I don't know what Seulgi saw in you to hire you this easy."

 

"It's not yet finished, sajangnim. But I promise, it'll be ready before this day ends."

 

Joohyun wanted to argue but she realized that it was indeed her exact instruction. To have it ready before the day ends. And technically speaking, the office hours might have ended, but it's still not the end of the day. 

 

Joohyun could only roll her eyes. After all, she really didn't need those documents immediately. She just said it to give Seungwan some difficult work, and a chance to reprimand her secretary again should she fail to finish on time. 

 

But damn. She has a point there.

 

"Whatever."

 

Joohyun turned to leave.

 

"Are you going home now, sajangnim? Should I drive you home?"

 

"Don't even think about it."

 

Joohyun walked away before Seungwan could even reply.


 

The first two weeks with Seungwan was just like a replay of their first day. 

 

Their morning would start with Seungwan coming in with her cooked breakfast for Joohyun, and the CEO telling her to throw it away, again and again. She will then give Seungwan a bunch of paperworks which the secretary will be busily working on for the whole day just because Joohyun will always tell her that she needs it "asap", which is often not the case.

 

Every lunch, Joohyun is often too busy to come down to the cafeteria herself so Seungwan would always be the one to get her lunch.

 

And without fail, Seungwan has been knocking on Joohyun's office every afternoon to bring her snacks, sometimes it's hot chocolate and other days, it's a cold smoothie.

 

Then, after office hours, Joohyun would always be the one to go home first. Sometimes, it's because Seungwan was still trying to wrap up her work. But most often, it's because Joohyun would not allow her secretary to walk down the company with her, let alone to go home together. 


 

**

 

It was the following week where things started to slightly take a different turn. 

 

"Good morning, Joohyun sajangnim." As always, Seungwan was standing in front of her, setting the paper bag at her table.

 

"Throw. It. Away." Was Joohyun's consistent reply. 

 

Just like the other days, Seungwan would just nod and would throw the paper bag at the trash bin inside Joohyun's office. 

 

"Uhm, what would I be working on now, sajangnim?"

 

Joohyun handed her a folder. "Here's the list of our new trainees. Do background checks on each one of them. Go to their schools if you must. Check every detail on them. I don't want to be surprised with any rumor should they make their debut."

 

"Noted, sajangnim."

 

"It's just five trainees so I expect that you'll be here by lunch time."

 

Seungwan understood the implied words. "Do you need me to do something after this?"

 

"Seulgi will need to meet investors in Daegu. Drive her there. So, be sure to be here by 1 pm. She needs to be there before five."

 

Seungwan nods. "I understood, sajangnim."

 

It was a quarter before 1pm when her office door was suddenly pushed in, revealing an almost out of breath Seungwan.

 

"Yah! Have you forgotten how to knock?!"

 

"I'm- I'm sorry, sajangnim." Seungwan catches her breath as she walks towards Joohyun, handing her back the folder from earlier. "I've-" Seungwan pants. "I've completed it all, sajangnim. I- still have to make a soft copy for it though, but- you could check it already."

 

Joohyun gets the folder and observes Seungwan with a raised brow. "You still have fifteen minutes. You don't need to run and barge into my office without knocking first." Look at you getting so out of breath.

 

"I'm sorry again, sajangnim. But uhm, did you have lunch already?"

 

Joohyun surely didn't see it coming. "What?"

 

"Uh," Seungwan takes a deep breath. "Lunch. Lunch, sajangnim."

 

"Not yet. Just finished a meeting."

 

Seungwan frantically looked at her watch. "Still have time. I'll be back in ten, sajangnim."

 

Before Joohyun could reply, Seungwan was already dashing outside her office. 

 

Just in time, Seulgi walked into the office, looking at the door questioningly, and then to Joohyun.

 

"Hey eonnie, what's wrong with your ex-"

 

Joohyun glared.

 

"No, I mean, your secretary." Seulgi grins nervously. "Why is she running and where is she going? I thought we'll leave at 1pm?"

 

Joohyun shrugs. "She said she'll be here in ten minutes."

 

"Oh, okay." Seulgi sat on the couch, looking at Joohyun knowingly. "So? How was working with your new secretary? I heard some stories."

 

"Yeah? And what had Yerim been telling you?"

 

Seulgi gasps. "Wait. How did you know it's from her?"

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes. "And who else?"

 

Seulgi huffs. "Fine. Yerim asked me if Seungwan-ssi is your past rival or enemy." She laughs. "Because apparently, she noticed that you're so cold to your secretary, even making her do demanding, and sometimes unnecessary work."

 

Joohyun shakes her head. "What's the news there? I already told you about what I'm doing."

 

Seulgi sighs. "I know. But I want to know how you are doing?"

 

"Well, that's- I.. I don't know."

 

"You still don't feel good even after two weeks into this?"

 

Joohyun shrugs.

 

"Don't you think that maybe because this is not what you really wanted, eonnie?"

 

Joohyun heaved a sigh. "I know where this conversation is going but can we not have this right now, Seulgi-yah?" She stood from her chair. "Come on."

 

Seulgi rises too. "Where?"

 

"I'm starving."

 

Seulgi laughs. "I'll be leaving in a few minutes and I already ate-"

 

"Ugh. Just go with me."

 

Joohyun clings her arm to Seulgi and just as the two open the door to leave, Seungwan comes rushing back. 

 

"Sajangnim, h-here's- Oh, Seulgi bujangnim, I'm- I'm sorry I- didn't know- you're still here."

 

Seulgi chuckles kindly, patting Seungwan's shoulder. "Take a deep breath first, Seungwan-ssi. You were running earlier and you came back still running. What's the emergency?"

 

"Well, uhm," Seungwan's cheeks were red. If it's from all the running, Joohyun was not sure. But she gets her answer when Seungwan gives her a packed lunch. "Y-your lunch, Joohyun sajangnim."

 

It was Seulgi who reacted first with a teasing "oooh". Seungwan's cheek gets even redder while Joohyun just glared at her friend. 

 

"Well, I guess I don't have to come with you to the cafeteria anymore, eonnie." Seulgi teased, ignoring the glaring Joohyun. She then wraps her arm around Seungwan's shoulder. "Let's go, Seungwan-ssi? Are you ready?"

 

"Yes. Yes, bujangnim."

 

Seulgi turned to Joohyun. "Let me borrow your secretary for a while, eonnie."

 

Joohyun heard the teasing. "Whatever." She waves them off. "Go, go."

 

"Go in and have your lunch now, sajangnim. We'll get going."

 

Joohyun hums dismissively.


 

**

 

Joohyun looks at her table clock. 3:30 PM. 

 

"Ugh," She muttered softly. "Only two weeks into it and my body already got used to that afternoon snack." Giving in to her craving, Joohyun went down to the cafeteria. 

 

"Oh, Joohyun-ah!" Mrs. Jung, the ahjumma who manages the company's cafeteria, greeted her with a big smile.

 

"Hi, ahjumma." Joohyun beamed back.

 

Mrs. Jung and Yerim are just two of her few employees that Joohyun has known personally before coming back to Korea to start this entertainment company. Yerim was a workmate, while Mrs. Jung was working as a waitress at a coffee shop just across their then office building.

 

Joohyun had known then that Mrs. Jung, despite being in her late 50's, is still working to earn money so that she and her only daughter can go back to Korea. In her own words, living in a foreign land is great, but she wants to die in her own country. So when Joohyun went back to Korea, she brought Mrs. Jung and her daughter along. The old woman was so grateful that she volunteered to work for Joohyun. The young CEO protested at first, but Mrs. Jung wouldn't budge, so she just let her manage the company's cafeteria- at least there, she has assistants and the workload is not too much for her age. 

 

"Finally! I get to see you here. You've always been having lunch inside your office nowadays."

 

"Ah, yes." Joohyun grins shyly. "Work has been hectic for the last few weeks."

 

Mrs. Jung nods in understanding. "I know, considering that both you and your new secretary have had no time to eat here for weeks now, I bet you must have been really busy since our opening."

 

This seems to get Joohyun's attention. "You mean Ms. Son, ahjumma?"

 

"Yes, that sweet girl." Mrs. Jung smiles kindly.

 

"Uhm, she has not been eating here too?"

 

"Like CEO, like secretary, eh?" Mrs. Jung grins teasingly. "No. She would just come here every lunch time to order your food, then she would just grab a sandwich or a kimbap for herself. I often tell her to have some rice but she would always say that it is important that she finish her report on time. So she would only have those for lunch because she could take light bites while working."

 

"Oh." Joohyun suddenly remembered the unfinished sandwiches and the burger wrappers that she would always see on Seungwan's desk whenever she passed by her. I thought those were just snacks. So that's her lunch?

 

"Seungwan-ssi has been taking care of you well. Right?"

 

Joohyun was taken aback at the question. But still, she won't lie to the old woman. "W-well, yeah."

 

Mrs. Jung smiles happily. "I was not wrong about her. She knows how to keep a promise."

 

Once again, Mrs. Jung's words surprised Joohyun. "What do you mean, ahjumma?"

 

"I voiced my concern to her once, I think it was on her fourth day here." Mrs. Jung answered. "I said I was quite worried for you both since it seems that you two prefer your work more over your health. But she told me there's nothing to worry about because she always eats healthily at home. And as for you," Mrs. Jung chuckles. "That sweet girl told me I don't have to worry about you because as she promised, she will always make sure to take care of you."

 

For a moment, Joohyun was speechless. She tried to ignore the sudden fast beating of her heart and the heat that's slowly creeping up on her face. 

 

"You okay, Joohyun?"

 

"U-uh, yes." Joohyun cleared instead. "I'm okay, ahjumma."

 

Mrs. Jung nods. "So, what brings you here by the way? Do you want anything to eat?"

 

"Oh, r-right." Joohyun shakes her thoughts away from the earlier conversation and focuses instead on the reason why she was there. "Can I get a cup of hot chocolate, ahjumma?"

 

"Oh, dear. We don't have hot chocolate here. Do you want coff-" Mrs. Jung clicked her fingers in realization. "Ah, right. You don't drink coffee. Hm, how about tea instead?"

 

"Uh," Joohyun shakes her head, albeit shyly. "I'll just have the chocolate smoothie, ahjumma."

 

"Smoothie?" Mrs. Jung looks at her questioningly, scratching the back of her neck. "I'm afraid we don't have that one here either, Joohyun-ah. Do you like those? I can arrange it so we can start serving them here."

 

But Joohyun was confused. "Uhm, it's the one Ms. Son would always get for me every afternoon, ahjumma?"

 

"Seungwan-ssi?" Mrs. Jung thought for a moment. "Ah, right! So those were for you? I remember Seungwan-ssi coming here on her first day, asking for drinks other than coffee. But we only have tea and soda here. So I think she went outside to buy it instead."

 

"Oh. I didn't know that." Joohyun muttered softly, more to herself.

 

"Do you want it today?" Mrs. Jung asked kindly. "I can ask one of my helpers here to buy it for you instead. Seungwan-ssi is not here, right? She was rushing here earlier when she got your lunch and told me she's going somewhere."

 

Joohyun nods. "I asked her to accompany Seulgi to her meeting. But uhm, no need to buy it for me, ahjumma."

 

"Are you sure?"

 

Joohyun bobs her head, smiling. "Yes. Thank you, ahmumma."

 

She then went back to her office and slumped herself on her chair, closing her eyes as she leaned backward, Mrs. Jung's words kept replaying in her mind.

 

"And as for you, that sweet girl told me I don't have to worry about you because as she promised, she will always make sure to take care of you."

 

"No, Joohyun-ah. Those were just mere words." Joohyun muttered to herself. "She told that to you too years ago. And yet.." She clenched her fist. 

 

The ring from the intercom interrupted her thoughts. She punched the answer button.

 

"Joohyun eonnie?"

 

"Yes, Yerim-ah?"

 

"There's a delivery for you here."

 

"Delivery? Can you check what that is?"

 

"It's a food delivery, eonnie." There was rustling of plastic from the other line. "Uh.. it's a strawberry smoothie and a cupcake."

 

Joohyun raised her brow. "But I didn't order any."

 

"Oh, really? Okay, wait, eonnie. I'll confirm it." Yerim's line went silent for a few seconds. "Eonnie? Are you still there?"

 

"Yes."

 

"I talked to the delivery guy. Seungwan eonnie made the advance order around noon today."

 

"Oh, o-okay. Send it here."

 

The food was brought to her office and that was when she checked the store logo on the plastic bag and cup. Now that she paid attention to it, their company was really not serving this particular drink. She missed this detail since day 1. These snacks are from Velvet, a coffee shop two blocks from where the company is.

 

"Good afternoon, Ms. Bae." The delivery man greeted as she placed the food on her table. "Seungwan noona asked for this to be delivered to you today around this time."

 

"I see." Joohyun nods once, trying to act nonchalant. "She's, uh, she's a regular?" She notes the casual calling of names.

 

"Yes, Ms. Bae. She's been coming to our store without fail for two weeks now, I think, always ordering drinks of this kind." He points at the plastic bag on the CEO's table. "We always wonder why she won't take time to eat it at the coffee shop until we learn that the snacks are actually for you, her boss." He then bowed kindly. "Thank you for appreciating our food, Ms. Bae."

 

"It's nothing, your food is good anyway." Joohyun returned the smile. "By the way, don't you have like a delivery service app?" 

 

"Oh, we have, Ms. Bae. We offered it to Seungwan noona before. But I guess she's hands-on like that." He grinned. "She said she wants to see the food personally before making the order."

 

She doesn't need to do that. Two blocks is still a few minutes walk from here. Geez. 

 

Joohyun tried to deny that a part of her thinks that it was a thoughtful act. Her secretary still made a way to bring her her afternoon snack despite not being there physically. Not to mention, that despite the busy paperworks that Joohyun would ask her to do, she would still make time to get Joohyun's snack personally. 

 

No. Joohyun shakes her head. That's not thoughtful at all. 

 

"Don't get swooned." Joohyun muttered to herself as she stared mindlessly at her glass of smoothie.


 

"Hyunnie! Hyunnie, please!"

 

Joohyun packs her belongings as soon as she arrives back to their house. A few minutes later, Seungwan arrived as well. 

 

"Hyunnie, please!" Seungwan pleaded, trying to stop Joohyun from packing. "It's not what you think."

 

"It's not what I think? I have eyes, Seungwan!"

 

"Nothing happened, Hyunnie. Please."

 

"You were both and she was holding you while you were sleeping!"

 

"Joohyunnie, please, please listen to me. I- I don't know what happened but I don't remember doing it. I swear I-"

 

"You don't remember? Wow, really. Now you're making me a fool?!'

 

"Hyunnie, please, I swear."

 

"So, what? You two just magically appeared in the bedroom, ?"

 

"She- she asked to see me. That was why she was in the hotel."

 

"And you agreed?!"

 

"I.."

 

"You promised me you won't see her again!"

 

"Hyunnie.."

 

"When you told me earlier that you'll be going home late because the manager asked you to work overtime.. Was.. was that a lie?"

 

"Hyun-"

 

"Just answer my question, Seungwan! Was that a lie?!"

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"You lied to me.. because of her."

 

"Hyunnie, please.. I'm sorry. This was just a one time thing, I swear. I know you won't let me so-"

 

"So you lied?! Are you that desperate to see her?"

 

"No, Hyunnie, please. I just.. She promised that it would be the last time that she'll see me. A-and if I agree, she would.. she would ask her father to hire me again at their company."

 

"And you believed that?"

 

"I.. I guess I was desperate. The pay there-"

 

"So it's for the money? You lied to me because of money?!"

 

"I need that money, Hyunnie. I need it to help you earn for the both of us."

 

"I told you time and time again that I am earning enough!"

 

"But it's at the expense of your own health! Do you know how scared I was when I received that call saying you were brought to the hospital? I want to help more. I want to do more just so you won't get sick again by working extra hard for the both of us."

 

"Yeah? But don't you know that what you did is worse than getting sick, Seungwan? I would rather get sick working, providing for our future than having you cheating and lying to me just so we can earn more money!"

 

"Hyunnie, no, no. Please. Yes, I admit that I lied to you but I swear I never cheated on you."

 

"I've seen enough, Seungwan."

 

"No, Hyunnie. Please. I swear I don't know- We- we were just having dinner and then- then the next thing I know, I was- you were- at that hotel room."

 

"Just because you don't remember doesn't mean it didn't happen."

 

"Hyunnie.. Hyunnie, please. I never cheated on you. Please. Please, believe me."

 

"How can I, Seungwan? How can I believe you when you just lied to me?"

 

"Joohyunnie, please."

 

"I'm tired, Seungwan. This thing with Park Eunbin had been going on around for too long, don't you think? We've fought a lot about her before. And now.. this. I'm just.. so tired, Seungwan-ah."

 

"No, no, no. Please-"

 

"Let's break up."


 

Joohyun grits her teeth. "Remember the pain she put you through."