Chapter I

Begin Again

I

 

“Ms. Son Seungwan?”

 

A medium-brown, shoulder-length haired girl stood from her seat. 

 

"You may come in."

 

Seungwan bowed at the secretary who left after giving her the instruction. She took a deep breath as she readied herself to enter the room. Seungwan could only hope that the CEO herself is not there. Otherwise, she could already say goodbye to this job even before she can be given a chance to walk inside the room. 

 

She takes another deep breath as she pushes the door open. Peeking inside, a wave of relief flashed through her because for some miracle, the CEO is not inside to interview her. In fact, there is only one person waiting for her inside the interview room. Kang Seulgi.

 

Seungwan has seen her face a lot in newspapers, and a couple of times on TV. She was often seen alongside Bae Joohyun, the company's CEO. From what Seungwan knows, Kang Seulgi is a close friend and business partner of the CEO, who helped the latter start this company. 

 

"Good morning, Seulgi bujangnim." Seungwan bows as she enters the room.

 

"Good morning, Ms. Son." Seulgi smiles kindly. "I see that you already know who I am?"

 

Seungwan nods, albeit shyly. "I've seen you around in the news, Ms. Kang. Especially these few months." The news of two Korean business partners from America who are about to start their own Entertainment company made a few headlines. Though it is just a small and starting company, the two coming from a known company in America was news enough.

 

Seulgi chuckles. "I see. Well then anyway, I'm Kang Seulgi and I'll be your interviewer for today. Please have a seat, Ms. Son."

 

"Thank you, Ms. Kang." Seungwan did as she was told.

 

"So, Ms. Son.. For a start, tell me something about yourself."

 

Seungwan nods. "My name is Son Seungwan, and I just turned 27 this year. To be honest, I have no experience working in an office before nor doing any clerical work, but I am willing to learn and I pride myself on quick learning and being easy to catch on things. And you can rest assured that I always give my best in what I do. Also, I know some basic English, if the CEO is more comfortable with that language."

 

Seulgi chuckles. "No. She still very much preferred speaking in Korean. So, did you go to an international school?"

 

"Uh, no." Seungwan shakes her head. "I lived in America for almost two years so somehow, I learned the basics." 

 

"Oh. Why? Something work related?"

 

Once more, Seungwan shakes her head. "No, Ms. Kang."

 

Seulgi nods, taking in her answer. If it was something personal, she has no reason to know it. She scans the resume once again instead. "I understand that you are currently working at a restaurant, while also being a freelance music composer?"

 

"Ah, yes, Ms. Kang. Music is what I do best, but I'm sure you already know that it's not always a good paying job." She grins a little. "So I get that other job at the restaurant which I do everyday."

 

"I see. But then," Seulgi takes one more look at the resume before facing Seungwan again. "-it says here that you worked as a part-time band vocalist during your high school and university days?"

 

"That is also true, Ms. Kang."

 

"If you don't mind, Ms. Son. I'm just curious about something."

 

"No, sure, Ms. Kang. Go ahead."

 

"You said yourself that music is what you do best and given that you were once a band vocalist, may I know why you didn't pursue that career?" Seulgi asked. "Well, this is an entertainment company and given your experience in music, you could have been applying here for a different job. Like a singer, perhaps? Instead of applying as the CEO's secretary."

 

"Ah, yes. I understand the curiosity, Ms. Kang." Seungwan smiles kindly. "But uhm, I don't sing now. Or rather, I can't."

 

Seulgi turned curious. "You can't? Why?"

 

"I was, uhm, diagnosed with a vocal nodule years ago."

 

"Oh." Seungwan could tell that Seulgi is kind, given how apologetic she looked at her answer. "Is it that bad that you can't sing again?"

 

"Honestly, the doctor said that I won't be able to get my voice back again like how it was before."

 

"But you can re-learn how to sing again with vocal nodules, right?" Seulgi inquired. "I've heard quite a few singers who have done that."

 

"That's right, Ms. Kang." Seungwan nods. "I seeked professional help in hopes that I could sing again. But uhm," Seungwan forced a grin. "It won't just come out. So after a year of trying, I just accepted that I won't be able to sing again so I just settled in being a freelance music composer."

 

"I see." Seulgi gives an empathetic smile. "So I guess that's the reason why you chose an entertainment company to apply for?"

 

"That's one way to look at it, Ms. Kang." Seungwan shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "But uh, the reason why I'm here.. Is because I want this job. I want to be CEO Bae Joohyun's secretary."

 

Seulgi couldn't hide her surprise. "You mean.. you're here for Bae Joohyun?"

 

Awkwardly, Seungwan nods.

 

"Oh. Do you know her?"

 

Seungwan took a deep breath. "Yes."


--

Seungwan was only six years old when she was brought to an orphanage by some social workers. 

 

"Kids, gather around." The Mother Superior called loudly, gently holding Seungwan's little and shaky hand.

 

Seungwan watched as kids came running from different directions and gathered around in front of her and the Mother Superior.

 

"We have a new family member." Mother Superior lightly pushed Seungwan at the front. "Her name is Seungwan. And like always, I'm expecting all of you to be kind to her. Understood?"

 

"Yes, Mother Superior." The kids echoed in unison.

 

Mother Superior pats Seungwan's shoulder. "Go on, Seungwan. Say hi to them."

 

Nervously, Seungwan steps forward and bows her head.

 

Some few kids gather around her, saying their hellos and introducing themselves. But all Seungwan could do was to bow, nod, or shake her head.

 

"Eh? Why aren't you talking, Seungwan?" One of the kids asked. "It's okay. We won't bite."

 

Still, Seungwan didn't answer. She could only lower her head.

 

"Mother Superior, she doesn't want to talk!" Another kid chirped in. 

 

At this point, Seungwan felt scared and started shaking. Mother Superior noticed this and was easy to hold both of the latter's shoulders.

 

"It's okay, Seungwan. It's okay." 

 

"Waa, why is she crying? We just want her to talk." One kid butted in. 

 

"Kids, let's give Seungwan some time. Okay?" Mother Superior said kindly.

 

"But why won't she talk? Is she mute?" Another kid murmurs.

 

At those words, Seungwan cried harder. She doesn't know what was wrong with her and why her voice won't come out. Her young mind couldn't even fully comprehend what was happening in her life now. 

 

She just remembered waking up in a white room (which the nurses told her is a hospital), feeling pain on different parts of her body. Scared, her first instinct was to turn her head and eyes into the different corners of the room, looking for her parents. But she couldn't see any of them and she started getting restless. She cried and cried until she fell asleep. When she woke up, a doctor and Mother Superior were there, watching her kindly. She wanted to ask where her parents were, but no voice came out. Then Mother Superior held her hand and told her that her parents will always be watching her from above. Her young mind couldn't really understand what that meant but it sounded really sad and it felt that she won't be able to see her parents anymore that she started crying again. Again, Seungwan wanted to ask where her parents were but all she could deliver was a small, whimpering sound. She tried again, and again, but the same thing happened. 

 

The doctor called her name, but she couldn't answer back. She noticed how the doctor's eyes widened before she made eye contact with Mother Superior and they both left the room. Seungwan didn't know what's happening but she overheard some nurses talking about "lost her voice" and "trauma" whenever they passed by her room.

 

"Jaewon, that's enough. Okay?" Mother Superior asked gently.

 

"But Mother Superior-"

 

"Let's give Seungwan some time." Mother Superior said again, hugging the crying little girl. "You can now all go back to whatever activities you were doing earlier." She instructed the kids. "Except you, Joohyun-ah."

 

Seungwan heard a sigh coming from someone behind her.

 

"What can I do for you, Mother Superior?"

 

"Will you please show Seungwan to your room? She'll be your roommate from now on."

 

Seungwan swore she heard a groan coming from whoever that Joohyun is.

 

"Seungwan-ah?" Mother Superior lifts her chin. "Come on, stop crying now. Joohyun will show you to your new room, okay?"

 

Seungwan's grip on Mother Superior tightened. She still has her back on this Joohyun so she doesn't know what she looked like yet but from the disapproving sounds coming from the girl behind her, Seungwan already felt scared of her.

 

"Don't be afraid. Joohyun is kind."

 

"I'm not." 

 

Seungwan hugs Mother Superior again.

 

"Joohyun-ah." Mother Superior called out patiently. "Please?"

 

Seungwan didn't hear Joohyun answer after that.

 

Mother Superior lets go of her hug. "Go now with Joohyun, okay, Seungwan-ah? You two can be friends. You like that?"

 

Seungwan wants friends. But she isn't sure of this Joohyun.

 

"But she's still three years older than you so call her 'eonnie', okay?"

 

Hesitantly, Seungwan nods.

 

Mother Superior smiled at her. "Okay then, go with your Joohyun eonnie now."

 

Seungwan reluctantly turns around to face Joohyun. She was expecting to see a scary monster but her jaw dropped as her little mind thought she's seeing an angel instead. 

 

She was just a child but she knows what the word 'beautiful' meant. And she swears Joohyun is the most beautiful girl she has ever seen.


--

"Yes. Yes, I know her. I- I mean, her face is all over the news too." Seungwan cleared . "And I did some research before applying here, so.."

 

That seemed to pique Seulgi's interest. "So you did some research about her?"

 

"Y-yes."

 

"Well then," Seulgi closed her folder and focused on Seungwan, smiling. "Let's see what you have there. What do you know about CEO Bae?"

 

"Well," Seungwan gulps, keeping in mind not to divulge anything too personal. "I know that she worked hard to get to where she is right now. With no family members to rely on, she schooled herself. She worked different part time jobs and applied herself to scholarships just so she could attend school and graduate. She worked twice, thrice harder even." 

 

Seulgi seemed impressed. "That's right. Even I admired her a lot for it."

 

"Me too." Seungwan whispers.

 

"So, now that you know how hard working she is, can you top that if I hire you as her secretary? What can you do for her?"

 

"I'll.." Seungwan lets her heart answer. "I'll take care of her."

 

Seulgi was quite taken aback, obviously not expecting the answer. She was quick to regain her composure though. 

 

"I'll admit, that's an interesting answer, Ms. Son. I never heard anyone answer that before." Seulgi was still smiling at her, making Seungwan feel a bit at ease. "But I'm curious as to how you'll do that? How will you take care of her?"

 

"I'll.. I'll cook breakfast for her everyday." Seungwan answered. "I know- I mean, I assume that given her busy schedule and her hard working attitude, she often misses her breakfast. So, I.. I'll make sure she's eating well."

--

Eighteen year old Seungwan was busy preparing food in the kitchen when she heard footsteps rushing. 

 

"Wannie? I need to go."

 

"I'm here in the kitchen, Hyunnie."

 

Few seconds later, Joohyun was running towards her, giving her a chaste kiss on the lips. "I'll go ahead first. Okay?"

 

"Breakfast, Hyunnie."

 

"Sorry, got no time." Joohyun answered as she brushed her still wet hair. "I overslept and now I'm late."

 

"That's because you worked overtime again last night. Can't you get another part time job that doesn't require you to always work overtime?" Seungwan pouts.

 

"I need that part time job, Seungwan-ah. It pays a lot. We need that now that you'll be in College soon."

 

"I have a part time job too, Hyunnie. I earn some money and I can apply for a scholarship too."

 

"Of course you can." Joohyun ruffles her hair. "You're a smart kid."

 

"Hyun.."

 

Joohyun pats Seungwan's cheek. "This is for our future. Okay?" She kissed it. "But I really have to get going now or I'll be late for my class."

 

"Hyunnie, wait." Seungwan gets the paper bag at the table. "Here. Take this."

 

Joohyun peeks inside the bag. 

 

"I know you'll have no time to eat breakfast here so I packed one for you instead. Please eat it on your way to school? You need breakfast, Hyunnie."

 

Beaming, Joohyun leans in once again to kiss Seungwan's lips. "I'll eat this happily. Thank you."

--
 

"I will make sure to buy her hot chocolate whenever she's feeling tired or sleepy."

 

Seulgi raised a brow knowingly. "Hot chocolate? Why not coffee?"

 

Seungwan smiled. "The CEO doesn't drink coffee."


--

Fifteen year old Seungwan was grinning to herself as she heard Joohyun coming through the door.

 

"Hyunnie! Finally you're here!"

 

Joohyun laughs. "Why are you so excited? And what is it that you're hiding behind your back?"

 

Seungwan grins wider. "Ta-da!" She handed Joohyun a cup of chocolate smoothie. "I made this for you, Hyunnie. Go on, go on, take a sip."

 

Joohyun did and she hummed in satisfaction. "This is good."

 

"And it has no caffeine content. I know you don't like coffee."

 

Joohyun takes a sip once more. "Wait. You said you made this? How?" She knows they don't have any smoothie maker or ingredients for it.

 

Seungwan gulps. She shouldn't have said that.

 

Joohyun noticed the younger girl's uneasiness. "Son Seungwan?"

 

"It's uh.. From the coffee shop near the school."

 

"And what were you doing there?"

 

"I.. sort of.. assist the ahjumma there, Hyunnie."

 

Joohyun was skeptical. "Define assist."

 

"I, uh, help her in preparing foods and drinks for her customers?"

 

"So you were just helping her?"

 

"Uhh.. Yes? A-and, and she would give me some, some money as a thank you?"

 

"Yah! You're basically working for her!"

 

Seungwan flinched. 

 

"Didn't I tell you that you can't do part time jobs until you finish middle school?"

 

"Y-yes, Hyunnie. B-but.. I only do light work. It- it wouldn't even seem that I'm working there, and- and ahjumma doesn't let me serve the customers. I- I just help behind the counter."

 

"That's the same thing! You're still working!"

 

Seungwan lowered her head. "I just want to help you, Joohyunnie. You're the only one earning money for us and I can't even help."

 

Joohyun heaved a sigh. "I told you you're already helping me by getting good grades. You got a scholarship because of that and I don't even have to spend too much money on your studies. That already is a big help to me."

 

"But I want to help you in earning money too."

 

"You're still in middle school. You're too young to be working, Seungwan-ah."

 

"I'm just three years younger than you, Hyunnie." Seungwan muttered. "And you're even younger when you started working to earn money for us."

 

Joohyun sighs softly. "I did it so you won't have to."

 

"But it's not fair, Hyunnie." Seungwan's voice quivers. She felt herself tearing up. "I want to take care of you too."

 

Joohyun's resolve melted at the sight. "Wannie.."

 

Seungwan points at the smoothie that Joohyun was holding. "See? I can even make you a chocolate smoothie. Or whatever drink you like, I can make it for you. I- I can take care of you too, Hyunnie."

 

Joohyun sets the smoothie at the table and hugs Seungwan with both arms. "Of course, of course you can."

 

Seungwan cries on Joohyun's shoulder. Not because Joohyun was stopping her from doing what she likes, but because she's feeling guilty. "I'm sorry, Joohyunnie. I'm sorry. Please don't get mad at me."

 

"Silly." Joohyun chuckles, rubbing Seungwan's back. "I'm not mad at you."

 

Seungwan sniffed. "Really?"

 

Joohyun lets go of the hug to see Seungwan's face. She wipes the latter's tears. "Yes, really. And I'm sorry too if you feel that I'm disregarding what you can do just because you're younger. I failed to see things from your point of view."

 

Seungwan shakes her head. "No need to be sorry. But wait-" she sniffs once more, "-does that mean you're allowing me to continue working there?"

 

"I have to know first exactly how hard your work is there."

 

Seungwan shakes her head. "It's not hard, Hyunnie. I promise. I just help in making drinks and preparing foods. That's all. I swear."

 

Joohyun knows Seungwan is telling the truth. The younger girl doesn't lie to her. "Okay. Fine."

 

"Alright!" Seungwan cheered. "Ugh, I thought I would have to say goodbye to my very first dream job."

 

Joohyun pinches Seungwan's nose. "Why are you even obsessed with working at a coffee shop?"

 

"Because people usually enjoy coffee, Hyunnie. But you, you don't drink coffee."

 

"And so?"

 

Seungwan grins. "And so, I want to learn how to make you a drink that you will enjoy."


--

"During company gatherings, I will make sure to stay near her and watch over her alcohol intake."

 

Seulgi chuckles at this. "Yeah. She has low alcohol tolerance."

 

"And she could literally pass out anywhere when she's drunk." Seungwan whispered to herself.


--

During Seungwan's 20th birthday, Joohyun surprised her by coming home with good food and.. bottles of soju.

 

 "Are we going to drink these, Hyunnie?"

 

Joohyun started preparing the table, along with the soju. "Yeah."

 

"But you don't really drink?"

 

"Well, yes. But you told me you want to try alcohol during your coming of age." 

 

"Yes, I did, but-"

 

"So we'll have soju." Joohyun grins. "Just don't vomit and pass out on me. Alright?"

 

Luckily, Seungwan didn't.

 

Unfortunately, Joohyun did.

 

"Oh my gosh, Hyunnie!" Seungwan grimaced at her now vomitus-stained shirt. Joohyun had just vomited on her.

 

"Goodness, I'm so- hic -sorry, Wannie-ah. H- hic- here, let me, let me clean you. I mean, it! It! Let me clean it!"

 

Seungwan laughs at the drunk Joohyun. She stops the latter's arm from flailing around and guides her to sit on the couch. 

 

"Can you stay here, Hyunnie?"

 

Joohyun pouted cutely. "I'm not a kid."

 

Seungwan couldn't help but peck Joohyun's lips, making the latter grin drunkenly. "I'll just change my clothes then I'll help you wash up, okay?"

 

Joohyun squints her eyes at her teasingly. "Oh-ho. Now that you're of legal age, you want us to do that already, huh? Aren't you cheeky, my little Wannie?" 

 

"I don't know what you're talking about, Hyunnie." Seungwan blushed. "I'm just talking about getting yourself clean for bed."

 

Joohyun flails her arms around. "Fine, fine. Go on. Change your shirt then we'll wash up together." She smiles sheepishly.

 

Feeling her cheeks getting hot, Seungwan shakes her head and goes to change.

 

"Ugh. Get a hold of yourself, Son Seungwan." She slaps her cheeks. "I know she's yours and that you love each other but you will never take advantage of her."

 

Taking a deep breath, Seungwan went out of her room after changing.

 

"Joohyunnie, let's-" But Joohyun was not in the living room anymore. "Hyunnie?"

 

Seungwan checked the kitchen.

 

"Hyunnie?"

 

She then proceeds to the older girl's bedroom.

 

"Hyun-" 

 

Joohyun was not there either.

 

Seungwan passed by the bathroom and heard a soft snore. Opening it, she saw Joohyun sitting on the bathroom floor, passed out.

 

Seungwan laughs at the sight. "We'll wash up together when you're thinking straight." She kissed Joohyun's forehead and with a huge amount of self control, she helped the older girl change into a clean and more comfortable clothes.


--

"And I won't forget to bring her warm clothes or jackets, especially during winter because she gets- I mean it seems like she gets cold easily."

 

"Wow. You know that too?"

 

"I- I've seen in the press photos that she was always wearing thick clothes, and more even so during the winter so I.. I came to that conclusion."


--

Seungwan was eight years old when she first played in the snow.

 

"Hyunnie! Hyunnie!" 

 

It was supposed to be "Joohyun-unnie" but since Seungwan was only six years old when she met the older girl, and it was just a few months ago that she learned how to speak again, a four syllable word is already hard for her. Her little tongue could only then articulate those two syllables.

 

Mother Superior tried correcting her at first, because she said that it seems like Seungwan was calling Joohyun casually (which should not be the case since the latter is older). But when Seungwan cried while hiding behind Joohyun's back, telling the older girl in between sobs that "Halmi (halmeoni) is forcing Wannie to speak more.", the old nun laughed and decided to stop correcting Seungwan anymore, after all she was just glad that the young girl could finally speak again.

 

"Hyunnie!" 

 

Seungwan was excitedly jumping around the room, trying to shake Joohyun awake.

 

Finally, Joohyun stirs. "What is it, Wannie?"

 

"Hyunnie, it's snowing! It's snowing! Let's play!"

 

Joohyun groans. "It's too cold outside."

 

"But I've never played in the snow before. Come on, Hyunnie. Let's play. Please, pretty?"

 

"I can't. It's too cold. Just play with the other kids." 

 

"But-"

 

Joohyun covers herself under the blanket. "Go, Seungwan-ah."

 

Dejected and trying hard not to cry, Seungwan went outside. There she saw some of the kids playing and they were kind enough to invite her in to play with them. Seungwan joined them but even after a while, her mood is still down. Not wanting to dampen the mood of her playmates, Seungwan excused herself and decided to sit in a corner instead, mindlessly playing with the snow.

 

"I told you to play with the others. Why are you sitting here all alone?"

 

Seungwan jumps at the very familiar voice. She quickly turns around and finds Joohyun in full jacket. 

 

"Hyunnie!" Seungwan was so happy that she hugged the older girl. "You're here!"

 

The two played for quite some time until Mother Superior called them out for breakfast. Seungwan was so happy that she couldn't stop talking about it to Mother Superior. 

 

However, Joohyun fell sick the next day. She was given a cold medicine that made her sleep. She was awakened by Seungwan's uncontrollable sobbing beside her bed.

 

"Yah, why are you crying?" Joohyun asked weakly.

 

"They- they said you got sick be-because of the cold weather."

 

"That's just normal."

 

"But it's my fault, Hyunnie." Seungwan cried harder. "I forced you to go outside and play with me. And now you're sick. I'm sorry, Hyunnie. I'm sorry. Please don't die."

 

If only Joohyun was not feeling under the weather, she would be laughing now. Instead, she managed a soft chuckle. "It's just a cold. I won't die, silly."

 

Seungwan wipes her tears messily. "Really, Hyunnie?"

 

Joohyun playfully rolls her eyes. "Yes, of co- oww!"

 

Seungwan throws herself to Joohyun and hugs the sick girl, surprising the latter. "Thank you, Hyunnie. Don't leave me, please."

 

Smiling to herself, Joohyun hugged Seungwan back, patting the latter's head.


--

"You know Ms. Son, I don't know if I should be impressed that you get it all right about Joohyun eonnie, or-" Seulgi chuckles, "-or if I should be worried because you might also pass as a stalker."

 

Seungwan waves both hands dismissively. "No, no, Ms. Kang. I assure you that I'm not a stalker. I just.. did my research well."

 

"Well, so it seems. And honestly, it's quite impressive."

 

Seungwan bows her head. "Thank you, Ms. Kang."

 

"And well, since it seems like you really did your research well, I'm sure you also know by now that the CEO has quite a temper."

 

Seungwan nods. "Y-yes. I kind of heard it already, Ms. Kang."

 

"It's not a rumour though, I assure you." Seulgi chuckles innocently. "I can't even count the number of secretaries she fired when we're still in America."

 

Seungwan just listens in.

 

"So as for your final question. I want to know how you are planning to handle that temper?"

 

"Well.. I guess I just have to steel myself and to keep remembering that this is all just work and that the real Bae Joohyun isn't like that."

 

Once again, Seulgi couldn't hide her surprise at the unexpected answer. "The real Bae Joohyun, you say? Why Ms. Son? What do you think the real Bae Joohyun is like?"

 

Seungwan went silent for a few seconds, remembering a particular event in her past.


--

It was Seungwan's second night at the orphanage. She has trouble sleeping because of all the events and changes in her life now. It didn't help that it was dark, it was raining really hard, and the lightning and thunder kept going back and forth.

 

It was all too much for the six year old Seungwan that she couldn't help but whimper and cry on her bed. 

 

"Ugh!" 

 

Seungwan heard Joohyun exclaim in annoyance and from the opposite bed, she saw how the older girl ducks down under the cover harshly. This just scared Seungwan more. She has her body facing Joohyun because at least then, despite the dark and all these scary noises, seeing Joohyun on her bed means that she was not alone. But now, seeing Joohyun hides herself under the blanket scares Seungwan. She shuts her eyes as her tears become more uncontrollable.

 

"Ugh! What the!" 

 

Seungwan opens her eyes at Joohyun's sound of displeasure. She saw the older girl get off from her bed, throwing her blanket harshly. For a second, Seungwan thought that Joohyun would leave the room but her eyes widened when she saw Joohyun walking towards her bed.

 

Too scared that the older girl will shout at her, Seungwan shuts her eyes.

 

"Yah, I know you're awake." 

 

Seungwan flinched at the cold tone. She nervously opens her eyes.

 

"I can't sleep because of all your tossing and turning and crying."

 

Seungwan could feel herself crying again so she immediately covers , not wanting to make any more sound that could possibly anger Joohyun more.

 

"Listen." Joohyun started again, still with her cold tone. "I know you can't speak. But you can hear me. Right?"

 

Shakily, Seungwan nods.

 

"Then scoot over."

 

Not expecting Joohyun's words, Seungwan could only look at her with questioning eyes.

 

Joohyun lets out a frustrated sigh. "I thought you could hear me? I said, scoot over."

 

Joohyun's tone got so loud that it sent Seungwan scooting over to the farther end of her bed. 

 

Seungwan watched with wide eyes as Joohyun climbed on her bed, going under the covers. Now, they were lying on the same bed, facing each other.

 

"I will stay here beside you until the storm stops. So, please, stop crying and go to sleep. I need to sleep too, you know."

 

Seungwan could hear some irritation on Joohyun's words and she knows the older girl just did it because she wants to sleep. But for the first time since waking up in the hospital, Seungwan didn't feel so alone now. That thought made her smile, and eventually made her sleep. 

 

When Seungwan woke up the next morning, Joohyun was still there, sleeping beside her, the older girl's arm draped securely over her back.


--

"She might act cold, like someone who only thinks about herself and nothing else. But deep down, I know she really cares."

 

Seulgi had the biggest smile when she heard that. 

 

"Ms. Son?"

 

"Y-yes, Ms. Kang?"

 

"I know you're still an employee at this restaurant and this is too sudden, but do you think it's possible for you to start tomorrow?"

 

Seungwan's eyes widened. "D-does that mean-"

 

Seulgi gave her a wide smile. "Congratulations, Ms. Son. You're hired. You are now Bae Joohyun's secretary."

 

Seungwan gave a ninety degree bow. "Thank you so much, Ms. Kang."

 

"You don't have to thank me, Ms. Son. You did well in the interview, that's why I hired you." 

 

"Still, thank you, Ms. Kang."

 

"Okay, alright. Oh and by the way, just a fair warning, okay? Joohyun eonnie can be really a handful at times, especially when she's stressed out. But what you said earlier was right, deep down she cares. So just be patient with her and she'll turn around."

 

"Yes, Ms. Kang. Thank you once again."

 

Seungwan knows this too already. A lot of time had already passed since she last saw Joohyun. Five years is a long time to change everything between them. Joohyun might not even acknowledge her or welcome her inside the company. Still, Seungwan was hopeful. She was able to break Joohyun's wall when they were still young, and she could only hope that she can do it again. 


--

Joohyun groans in displeasure. She stops walking and turns her back around to face Seungwan. Since waking up with Joohyun's small arms around her, comforting her through the stormy night, Seungwan decided that she wants to be around Joohyun, she wants to be her friend. With that, Seungwan kept following Joohyun around. But it only infuriates the older girl.

 

"What? What do you want? Why do you keep following me?"

 

If not for last night, Seungwan would definitely be scared of Joohyun. But because of what happened last night, it was enough to convince Seungwan that there's nothing scary about Joohyun because just like the latter's face, her heart is also beautiful. 

 

Unable to say anything to deliver her message across, Seungwan just reached for Joohyun's t-shirt and tugged it. Joohyun saw it and raised her brow.

 

"Yah, what are you doing?"

 

Just in time, Mother Superior walks in on them.

 

"Joohyun-ah, Seungwan-ah, what's wrong?"

 

Joohyun heaved a sigh. "She keeps following me, Mother Superior. And I don't know what she wants."

 

Seungwan tugs at Joohyun's shirt once more.

 

"Yah. Stop that."

 

Seeing this, Mother Superior laughs. "I think she wants to be your friend, Joohyun-ah." She then turned to Seungwan. "Am I right?"

 

Seungwan nods repeatedly. 

 

Joohyun huffs. "No. I don't want to. I don't like to make friends with anyone."

 

"Why not?" Mother Superior asked.

 

Joohyun shrugs. "If my parents can abandon me, surely friends can do so too. And I'm not having any of that anymore."

 

With that, Joohyun forcefully removes her shirt from Seungwan's grasp and walks away.

 

Mother Superior shakes her head. "When she talks, sometimes I can't believe she's only nine years old." She smiled at Seungwan. "I'm sorry about that. But Joohyun is really a good kid. She's just guarded."

 

Seungwan responded with an understanding nod.

 

"So, you really want to make friends with her?" 

 

Once again, Seungwan nods.

 

"I'm glad." Mother Superior chuckles. "With her cold demeanor, you're the first person who made an attempt to be her friend."

 

Seungwan points towards the direction where Joohyun went, then she shakes her head.

 

"Uhh.. are you saying that Joohyun doesn't want to be friends with you?"

 

Seungwan bobs her head.

 

"Oh, don't worry about her. Just don't give up and she'll come around. You'll see."

 

Listening to Mother Superior's words, Seungwan didn't give up. Whenever Joohyun is at the orphanage, Seungwan continues to follow her around while making sure that she's not overstepping boundaries, and whenever Joohyun goes to her school a few distance away from the orphanage, Seungwan would always stay at the orphanage's garden waiting for Joohyun to get back, then she will hand Joohyun a piece of flower that she picks up at the garden. Seungwan will know Joohyun's mood depending on whether she will receive the flower or not. 

 

One time, she was waiting in the garden with a flower in her hand when Joohyun came back from school. Seungwan excitedly welcomes her, handing Joohyun the flower. But the older girl just passed by her without even glancing at her. With a sigh, Seungwan followed Joohyun inside and when she reached their shared room, she heard Joohyun sniffing under her blanket. Seungwan knows the other girl is crying and she feels sad. But she doesn't want to invade Joohyun's space so Seungwan just left the flower on Joohyun's nightstand.

 

The next day, exactly the same thing happened. She heard Joohyun crying again under her blanket after the latter went back from school. This time, more than sad, Seungwan was curious. She wants to know what is making Joohyun cry. 

 

So, the next day, without anyone knowing, Seungwan sneaks out of the orphanage and goes to Joohyun's school. It was a few walking distance from the orphanage and Seungwan had seen the school before. One of the nuns, Sister Maria, pointed it out to her once when she brought Seungwan to the wet market. 

 

At the front of the school gate, Seungwan saw Joohyun being surrounded by two other girls. 

 

"You think you're so clever because you got a perfect score on the test earlier, but I still think you're a loser." One of the girls said to Joohyun.

 

Little Seungwan doesn't know the meaning of the word loser but from her tone, it was obvious that they were insulting Joohyun. 

 

"What can you do with your cleverness when your parents never wanted you in the first place." 

 

Seungwan was mad. They don't have the right to say that to Joohyun. And so, she runs towards the group and stands in front of Joohyun, surprising the latter.

 

"Seungwan??"

 

Seungwan glared at the bully girls. 

 

The girl who mocked Joohyun laughs. "Who is this? Your knight in shining armor? Or, should I say, the mute in shining armor." She pushed Seungwan by the shoulder. 

 

Seungwan stumbled a little but Joohyun was quick to support her back. 

 

"Don't drag her into this, Song-joo." Joohyun spoke with such coldness in her voice that made the two bullies stunned. She grabs Seungwan's arm and drags her away from the two girls.

 

Song-joo, who felt that she just lost to Joohyun, was quick to recover. "Where are you going? Are you going to report me to your mother?"

 

Seungwan felt Joohyun tensed beside her.

 

"Oh no, wait, I'm sorry." Song-joo continued mockingly. "I forgot. You don't have one because she abandoned you at birth."

 

Hearing that, Seungwan got angry. Before Joohyun could stop her, the younger girl was already running back towards Song-joo. Seungwan pushed the taller girl as hard as she could. 

 

"Yah! Are you crazy?!" Quickly getting back on her feet, Song-joo grabbed Seungwan's hair.

 

"Seungwan!"

 

Song-joo's friend was about to attack Seungwan from behind when Joohyun reached her and grabbed her by the hair too.

 

That was the first time Joohyun and Seungwan had been involved in a physical fight. 

 

Mother Superior sighs as she applies ointment on the cut above Seungwan's left eyebrow. Seungwan kept wincing, which made Joohyun reach out for her hand, squeezing it. Feeling Joohyun's hand on her, Seungwan grins.

 

"I can't believe this." Mother Superior said, shaking her head. "You can still smile like nothing happened?"

 

Seungwan stopped smiling and looked at Mother Superior, pouting. 

 

"I can't believe you managed to sneak out of the orphanage, Son Seungwan! Don't ever do that again. I know Joohyun's school is close by, but it's still dangerous." Mother Superior shakes her head. "You're only six yet you had already sneaked out and got into a fight." She sighs dramatically. "Oh, Good Lord, help me with this kid."

 

"It's because of me that she got into that fight, Mother Superior." Joohyun interjected. "I'm sorry."

 

"Oh, and I'm not forgetting about you, Hyun." The old nun turned to Joohyun. "You should have stopped the fight or called for your teacher, not joined them."

 

"But.. I can't leave Seungwan there, Mother Superior. They were ganging up on my friend, how can I just leave her there?"

 

Seungwan looks up at Joohyun with a sheepish grin. It was Mother Superior who noticed it. She smiled to herself as she placed a band-aid on Seungwan's eyebrow. 

 

"Listen, you two, okay? I understand that you two were just standing up for each other. But you also have to understand that fighting and hurting someone, regardless of whatever reason, will never be right. So, I really hope this is the last time something like this will happen again. Do you hear me?"

 

The two girls nod their heads.

 

"Good girls." 

 

Mother Superior gave a pat to each of the girls' heads before leaving the room.

 

Joohyun turned to Seungwan, pointing at the band-aid on the latter's eyebrow. "Does it hurt?"

 

Seungwan shakes her head, smiling happily.

 

Joohyun frowns. "You have a cut on your eyebrow. Why are you still so happy?" 

 

Seungwan grins. She points a finger to herself, then to Joohyun, and mouths the word 'friends'. 

 

"W-what?" Joohyun's ears became red. "Since when?"

 

With three attempts, Joohyun was able to read Seungwan's lip movement of 'you just told Mother Superior earlier'. 

 

Realizing that, indeed, she really said that, Joohyun pretended to shrug as if it's nothing. "Okay. Fine."

 

Beaming, Seungwan reached out, wanting to shake hands with Joohyun. 'Friends?' she mouthed.

 

For the first time, Seungwan sees Joohyun chuckle. The older girl takes her outstretched hand. 

 

"Friends."


--

Seungwan could only sigh at the memory. 

 

"I don't know if you'll still have me back, even as just a friend. But I'll keep on trying. I'll never give up, Hyunnie."