Chapter 3: The Day We Met II

That Winter at Apbada

“I know you would come.” Wonwoo peeked inside of the art room. After their encounter in the infirmary room yesterday, he made sure to find her again in the art room. It turned out luck was on his side, after all.

The girl was already seated in front of an easel. Her hair was tied into a ponytail like always. Again, she was not wearing her name tag. A rush of awkwardness instantly filled up the room. Once in a while, she glanced to her side. When her eyes caught his, she quickly pretended like she was drawing again.

“What’cha drawing?” he asked curiously. Since the last five minutes he arrived, the drawing canvas remained empty.

“I don’t know yet.” She replied. He hadn’t notice it before but she spoke so carefully, her voice sounded like a whisper. Even her movement looked cautious.

“Do I make you uncomfortable?” Wonwoo asked to make up for the unbearable silence. She glanced at him again, thinking if he was being oblivious or shameless. Either or, the answer was yes. She was not comfortable with stranger staring at her.

“Quit looking at me like that.”  She asked him.

“Sorry.” He immediately apologized to her.

“Why don’t you draw me?” he asked. She winced at his sudden request, knocking over her drawing tools all over the floor. Wonwoo frantically bended down to pick up her stuffs.

“Leave it.” She tried stopping him from cleaning up the mess. But he didn’t stop.

“I’m almost done.” He told her.

“I said leave it!” she almost screamed.

Unlike before when she spoke under her breath., her voice was clear and loud. He could tell she was furious. But after a second, she snapped out of it.

“I’m leaving.” She excuses herself, leaving him baffled about the way she acted.

The girl stopped walking midway and stared at Wonwoo who was still crouching on the ground.

“You shouldn’t come near me.” She warned him before leaving the room.

Wonwoo flopped to the ground. He sighed. And laughed afterwards, at how ridiculous the situation was. Just a few minutes ago, she was this dreamy, mysterious girl that caught his eyes at first sight. But what just happened? He never imagined she reacted the way she did. Maybe she hated his gut. Or maybe she hated him.

Wonwoo clenched the pencil case tightly before tossing it against the easel and watched its content scattered all over the floor again.

“What the hell am I doing?” he rubbed his face as he scoffed at himself.

Amongst the mess he just made, Wonwoo spotted a piece of paper. A message written ‘I’ll cherish today until forever’ caught his attention. He flipped it over and saw a photo of the girl and another high school boy by her side. Both of them were smiling brightly in the picture with their school uniforms on and silly doodles on their face.

“Well, since it turns out this way, I might as well have some fun out of this.” He said as he plotted devious plan in his head.