Chapter 5: Only My Heart Knows

That Winter at Apbada

“I’m home.” Wonwoo announced his arrival. The words sounded foreign on his tongue, just as strange as the huge luxurious house that almost look like museum. It was almost empty his voice reflected between the white walls of the living room. He would never get used to it. Eleven years ago, all his father could afford was a cheap, one-bedroom-apartment that smelled like mold. In fact, just until a year ago, he lived in a house on top of a fried chicken shop with Sojung’s family.

“Welcome home, sir. I’ll take the bags to your room.” A middle age woman approached him in a rush, taking out a pair of slippers and placed them right in front of his feet.

“No, I’ll do it.” he rejected. After placing his sneakers on the shoe rack, which already made the housekeeper nervous of being scolded by Mr. Jeon, he walked straight into the dining area.

“Would you like something to drink, sir?” she asked. Wonwoo raised his eyebrows at her.

“No. Are you going to keep calling me that?” he rejected the offer, though his initial plan was to get a glass of water from the kitchen. Her whole honorific term was more concerning. He wasn’t used to being treated like the rich.

“I’m obligated to address you respectfully as long as I’m working for your father.” She said as she glanced towards the stairs. Wonwoo did the same. He pointed up as a signal to ask if his father was home. The old lady nodded. And he nodded along with her. That was why she was so afraid of calling him by his name.

“Wonwoo works fine.” He reassured her. She only responded with a smile.

“I’ll get into trouble with your father if I call you by your name.” she reminded him restlessly.

“Fine. Suit yourself.” He gave up with a sigh.

“You’re home early.” His father’s voice echoed in the kitchen. That was obviously a sarcasm. He could sense it from miles away, along with the nose-poking fragrance from his father’s new wife’s perfume. Wonwoo took a few steps away from them and eventually walked out of the kitchen. He slightly bowed to his stepmother.

“Come join us. We’re having steak for dinner. Ahjumma, could you prepare another plate for Wonwoo.” The woman said. Quite nicely, to be honest. Wonwoo hated it. He hated the fact that there wasn’t a single horrendous thing that he could point out about that woman. She wasn’t even gold digger. She had a whole successful career as a photographer and travelled around the world for her job. She spoke politely. She was nice to their housekeeper. She was almost the perfect mother figure, a perfect wife material. Nevertheless, her mere presence was enough to annoy him. He refused to like her.

“No, I’m good. Ahjumma, please send some fruits to my room. I’ll have them after shower.” He rejected coldly. The woman, Jeong Hwayeon’s face went scarlet but she tried to hide it with a fake smile.

“What about dinner?” Hwayeon attempted another conversation with Wonwoo. He ignored her and walked towards the stairs.

“Jeon Wonwoo, your mom is asking if you’re going to have dinner with us. Aren’t you going to answer her?” his father’s cold tone sent shivers down his spine. But he didn’t want to engage in a conversation with the woman. If he ever showed her kindness, it will be like going behind his mother’s back.

“Ahjumma, send the steak to my room. Are we done, here?” he answered without looking and continued to walk up, heading to his bedroom.

“Who told you to speak to us like that? Apologize right now.” Jeon Hyunsoo raised his voice.

It was so easy to get on his nerve these days. Everything Wonwoo did infuriated him. It was for the best. He will keep on provoking him until he was forced out of the house. Not now, though. As much as he hated to admit, he needed his father’s money. Just a few more months until he could withdraw all the money from the bank account.

“Where do you think you are going? I’m not done with you.” Hyunsoo’s voice sounded even louder.

“Honey, don’t.” his wife grasped his wrist tightly.

“I don’t know when did he become so rude. He must have picked it up from that taxi driver’s household.” Hwayeon shushed him down. She widened her eyes at him as she shook her head, telling him to not make things worse. Even though she hadn’t known the family for too long, she knew Sojung’s family and Wonwoo’s mother were two taboo subjects in the household.

Wonwoo slammed the door shut and flicked the switch to the study lamp. His heart was fuming at the last bit of his father’s word but he tried to hold it in. He sat down in front of the desk, flicking the switch on and off in the darkness in order to find a peace of mind.  And then he stopped when he saw the picture of his mother. The picture was from when they went to a theme park during summer, right after his parents separated. Despite being only nine-year-old kid, he understood clearly what was going on with their life back then. To everyone else, he was simply a child without a father. Whenever he got into trouble with his friends, it was always the child with no father to blame. Nobody even bothered to listen to him.

The sign of fatigue was noticeable in that particular picture. but she still managed to smile nonetheless. Next to her were two other boys. One of the boys showed toothless grin and the other was scarlet from crying.

“I saw that kid pushed him.” Mingyu was the only one who cared to tell the truth. And behind him was a shorter kid with a solemn expression on his face.

“I pulled his hair because he was mean to Wonwoo.” Dokyeom said proudly despite his runny nose and swollen eyes for being scolded by the teachers.

“Thank you for telling me that. But if something like this happened again, run straight to the teacher, okay? Look at you getting hurt.” His mother said to them both as she wiped the tears and snot from Dokyeom’s face with the sleeve of the white shirt she was wearing.

“I didn’t get hurt. My mom says I’m the strongest.” Dokyeom told her with a grin. It made her giggled at his silliness.

“Weren’t you crying earlier?” Mingyu nudged him with a quite whisper.

“My eyes are watery because I’m sleepy.” He lied.

“Your mom must be right. Look at you two defending Wonwoo. Thank you looking after him. Thank you for being friends with him. You guys are such smart kids. How old are you?” she said as she patted their heads.

“We’re in first grade too. But we’re not the same class as him. But we are good friends.” Mingyu answered eloquently.

“You’re not my friends. You two keep stealing my snacks.” Wonwoo mumbled behind his mother.

“You ate my snacks too.” Mingyu complained.

“It was once. I brought my own after that.” Wonwoo glanced at her mom but quickly avoid her gaze.

“That’s because your snacks taste better. But it’s ugly. But it’s tasty.” Mingyu giggled. She bit her lips to contain the tears that already started to fill her eyes. Post-divorce, she could barely get anything done. Not even for herself, let alone for Wonwoo. He must have asked Sojung’s parents for help and naturally became good at it.

“Which food do you like the most?” she asked.

“Kimbap. You always pack him kimbap, anyway.” Dokyeom joined in. Wonwoo’s mother smiled bitterly. The great pang immediately gripped her heart as she kept holding in the tears of regret.

“I like fried ham.” Mingyu said while rubbing his stomach. Just at the thought of food already made him hungry.

“I’ll make them for you. A lot of it. So, eat well and be strong so that you can continue to protect my Wonwoo.” She asked off them and embraced them tightly.

The sorrow filled up her heart instantly. She just realised that she has been overly hadn’t been present after divorce. Looking at the two boys made her grateful. At least, her son had found a source of comfort while she was out of it. She ruffled Wonwoo’s hair and wiped away the dirt on his cheeks from fighting with the other kids before.

“I’m sorry. I’ll be a better mom to you, too.” She whispered into his ears.

“You love them so much, right, Mum?” Wonwoo smiled as he looked at the picture of his mother, Mingyu and Dokyeom. They were shameless kids. When they heard Wonwoo was going to Everland, the begged their parents to tag along. Wonwoo’s mother was kind enough to say yes. But she remembered his mother’s back being drenched with sweat to keep up with their energy

Wonwoo stared at the picture of his mother. A sudden air of melancholy started to surround him. Thinking back, he never really paid attention on how his mother used to look like. All his life, he always stared at the back of her head, always bowing, always apologizing for something he never did. He started to remember now. His mother always had the prettiest face and the kindest smile. He looked right into the mirror. And he looked nothing like her but rather a carbon copy of his father.

He hated it. More than that, he feared that one day, he might not remember her face, and that one day, she would gradually dissipate from his memories. As much as he despised his father, he had to admit that he wanted no other woman to fill in the position of his mother. He didn’t want her to be forgotten.

“Where the hell are you, mom?” he ruffled his hairs in despair.

The housekeeper knocked on the door. Wonwoo quickly put the picture away. He pointed at the light switch and she flicked it on. The fluorescent light instantly brightened up the entire room.

“Here’s the steak and some peaches.” His eyes lit up. He never really told anyone that he liked peaches. Usually, they will only eat apples or grapes.

“When did you buy the peach, ahjumma?” Wonwoo quickly took the plate from the housekeeper and stuff his mouth with fruits.

“Miss Hwayeon brings them home this morning. She noticed that you like peaches.” She told him. The fruit suddenly taste like a chunk of wood that was hard to swallow. Look at her, being nice to him again, he thought.

“She did?” he asked, putting the plate away from his sight.

“Normally, all the fruits will go rotten untouched. Miss Hwayeon’s son would only eat watermelon.”

“Throw it out. I think I’m getting stomach ache.” He lied.

“She wants you to have this too.” Mrs. Yeon handed a box of ginseng extract. Wonwoo pushed it away.

“I don’t need it. You can have that. Or you can give that to her son.” Ms. Yeon smiled bitterly. She knew it was no use of forcing him. the outcome will always be the same. He will get angry and rant on his father and Mr. Jeon will eventually started screaming too and the whole household will become a mess.

“Would you like to have some abalone congee? I’ll prepare some for you.” Wonwoo nodded and smile gently. The old woman seemed delighted. At least, he was willing to eat something that she made.

“Ahjumma.” He called her as she walked towards the door to leave his room with the food tray in her hands.

“Yes?”

“Thank you. For being on my side.” He spoke quietly but just loud enough for Ms. Yeon to hear. Her heart melted at the word. She smiled at the poor boy. That was the first time he actually thanked her sincerely after arriving at the house since a year ago.