Chapter 10: Can You Hear My Heart?

That Winter at Apbada

Loud ticking from the clock made Bona anxious. She glanced at the familiar figure sitting across her direction. When their eyes met, Doyoung grinned and endlessly munched on onigiri and took the tiniest sip of americano from a paper cup.

“Go home.” Bona said, losing patience.

“I will after I finish my food.” He told her, unbothered.

“You have been eating that for more than an hour. Go home already.” She could not help complaining.

Bona sighed to show dissatisfaction which made Doyoung’s grin grew wider. Upon seeing him oblivious of her command, she purposely cleaned the floor where he was sitting. He had no choice but to move from the seat to another area, closer to the door.

“Be careful on your way home.” She said playfully.

“It’s almost 12. Where’s the other hyung?” He asked, moving away from the door this time. He made it clear that he wouldn’t go home until she’d done with her night shift.

“It’s only 11.30. He wasn’t supposed to come in for another fifteen minutes.”

Doyoung already knew the drill from keeping her company since a month ago. His hand naturally went for a red basket near the counter. Bona stared at those attractively long, calloused but deft fingers picking up expired products from the refrigerator and put it into the basket. At this point, she had become used to it. She was too lazy to stop him.

“I’ll throw this out.” Doyoung offered his help.

“Wait.” She stopped him. Bona crouched down to rummage look through edible food from the basket. She picked up pork cutlet, teriyaki saba and omurice lunch boxes. Two of each. She didn’t need the food and she wouldn’t have to cook for another three days.

Doyoung stayed quiet. Despite his curiosity, Doyoung wouldn’t dare to ask. It was his life principle. He believed that there weren’t honest people. Everyone had a secret or two which they would rather take to graves rather than telling even their closest person. He was not an exception. Thinking about it, he had never walked her to her house. Bona would lie about leaving something at the convenience store or going to the study room or a few other reasons that clearly didn’t make any sense.

“Welcome.” She quickly stood up and greeted the customer when she heard the bell rang.

“It’s me. You’re here again.” Her co-worker greeted them as he noticed Doyoung standing next to Bona.

“Oppa, do you want any lunch box? I’m going to throw this on my way out.” She offered. Just like Bona, he kneeled down to pick up whatever he wanted and store them in the small refrigerator inside the staff room. Bona followed him to the back. After tagging out and returning the uniform, she came out of the store.

“We’ll take our leave.” Doyoung bowed to her co-worker when Bona emerged from the door, with Bona’s backpack in his hand and his uniform in the other. Like always, they walk side to side, with their fingers brushed against each other once in a while. When that happened, both of them blushed uncontrollably. That was the reason the walk home usually filled with silence.

“Why are you following me around?” she asked.

“Just because.”  He told her, not quenching any of her curiosities. She swiftly walked a few steps ahead and stood before him to block his path.

“You can tell me the truth. I promise I won’t make fun of you.” She pleaded. Bona had to look up to match his eyes. and the moonlight made her eyes sparkled. It worked. Doyoung could not resist it.

“I just want to go home safely.” He told her honestly.

“Is that all?” she wanted reassurance. Bona somehow knew that was only a part of his reasonings. Doyoung avoided her eyes but nodded anyway.

“Why else would I be waiting for you?”

“Wouldn’t you get into trouble for getting home late?”

“As long as I got good grades, I’ll be fine.” He admitted.

Something tugged at her heart. Coming from a broken home, she immediately knew something was not right. Of course, it wasn’t usually the case but the bruised on his body, the blue eye, the scratched on both wrists told her that her intuition was at least ninety five percent right. She was smart enough to know those things wouldn’t happened from playing basketball.

“Kim Bona.” He called her.

“Huh?” she looked confused. Her hands slowly reached for the backpack that Doyoung carried up until then.

“Did you hear what I said?” he asked. Bona looked confused. She was too absorbed with the chaos in her head.

“I’m sorry. What did you just say?” she asked.

“It’s your stop. I think the bus has stopped running. I can walk you back if you’re comfortable with it.” He offered. Bona bit her lips as she contemplated her decision.

“I…” she hesitated.

“I’m sorry. I just don’t think it’s safe for you to walk around alone at night.” He told her.

“Thank you for worrying about me.” she thanked him gratefully.

“I guess, I’ll see you on Monday.” He said but reluctant to leave her side. Doyoung walked away. He could hear his heart pounded in his ears. Something deep inside him told him not to leave her alone tonight. Nevertheless, he didn’t want to force her to do anything that they would both regret at the end of the day.

Their relationship was fine just the it was. They are two people that long for companion, they needed each other, they had to be for one another. It didn’t bother them that nobody ever knew what was going on between them or if no one else knew they were acquainted to one another. It didn’t matter to him if she didn’t know he was deeply in love with her.

Just like her, completely, insanely, falling deep and deep into him.

“Kim Doyoung.” the grip on the wrist stopped him from walking further. Doyoung turned towards her direction. Her glistening eyes puzzled him, making him irrational. Her grip tightened as if she desperately tried to tell him something. Doyoung’s gaze soften, making her less nervous, causing Bona to loosen the grip around his wrist. The pounding in his ears got louder. He doubted if he could even hear himself. Anyhow, he wanted to be the one who said something first. He took a deep breath to gather all the courage he had inside him.

“Should we not go home tonight?” He said at last.