. VI

You're My First Mistake

Joohyun was sincere when she told Seungwan that she wanted to give their marriage a chance, it wasn't some rash decision she had made. She believed that everything has a certain time period allocated to it. 

 

Just because they decided to give their marriage a chance didn't mean they would immediately change everything about themselves to settle down with each other. It'll be a miracle if they even start to get along.

 

Although it's been a week and she can see the small changes in both of their routines. Sometimes, they would give each other questioning looks at certain actions but it was understandable because they just can't force themselves to change in a short period.

 

She was sitting at the dining table eating the dinner she brought on her way back because Seungwan was staying back at the office for an urgent meeting with a client, meaning that she won't be at home to make dinner which is usually her job.

 

Joohyun didn't mind cooking, it's just that she didn't want to exert more effort after such a tiring day at work. 

 

She was scrolling down her phone when her gaze fell upon the time displayed on the screen. It was getting late and Seungwan was still not home. Usually, staying back meant half past nine or ten but it was half past eleven.

 

“I should check up on her,” She muttered to herself and was about to dial Seungwan's contact number when she heard the sound of a car pulling up outside.

 

She put down her phone on the table and walked outside to see Seungwan getting out of the car. She was talking to someone over the phone and was carrying a lot of things.

 

Joohyun didn't hesitate and walked over to take some things from Seungwan's hand. She was starting to act like a housewife.

 

“He's being absurd then!” Seungwan shouted through the phone, slamming the door of the car shut. “It's three hours past my working time and he's asking me for reports of a project that isn't complete yet.”

 

Joohyun sighed, knowing fully well that it was going to be a long night with the way Seungwan's face was already flushed with anger.

 

“I just can't make projections based on something that isn't complete, it's gonna affect the overall result!” Seungwan scoffed and threw her blazer to the floor harshly, immediately walking over to their office room with Joohyun following her behind with steady steps.

 

“Director Lee can do that himself then it's gonna make us look bad in front of the Jeons especially after I managed to strike a deal with them through Park Jimin,” Seungwan blurted out, frustration evident in her tone.

 

“I'll do my best,” Joohyun watched as Seungwan sighed after arguing over the phone for a couple of minutes and her shoulders immediately dropped.

 

“Is something wrong?” She asked approaching the younger girl who was slouching on her chair.

 

“Chairman Son needs projections on the hotel chain,” Seungwan muttered as she leaned back against the chair and closed her eyes, her hands rubbing her eyes before they moved toward the forehead to give it a squeeze.

 

“It is still in the works though. We can't make estimations based on the fact that only a couple of them are in business,” She responded, pondering over the fact that Seungwan's frustration was justified.

 

“I told them that but they wouldn't listen,” Seungwan ranted while her eyes were on the verge of dropping. “I don't want to mess up. So, I guess I have to do it.” She added.

 

“It's almost midnight Seungwan,” She reasoned. “You just came back. Take some rest,” Joohyun bit her lip never did she expect herself to care for her wife like this.

 

“I can't leave it on tomorrow,” Seungwan whispered, tiredness evident in her voice.

 

Joohyun sighed and thought for a moment, her gaze resting on Seungwan who was looking like she would pass out any moment.

 

“Let's get you some dinner and then we'll do it together,” She states and immediately raises her finger when Seungwan opens to complain. “You ain't fooling me because you look like you're about to pass out.”

 

“Fine,” Seungwan mumbled and got up from her seat, following Joohyun who set up the table for her and heated the food.

 

It turns out Joohyun's suggestion really made the work easier because they were done within an hour, the only problem was that instead of Seungwan, Joohyun herself found herself passing out on their couch first.

 

She woke up when she felt something shifting beneath her and opened her eye the moment Seungwan lifted her. She didn't pry much and rested her head on Seungwan's chest as the younger girl carried her.

 

“Let's get you to bed,” Seungwan whispered, carrying her to their bedroom in her arms. She nuzzled her pillow the moment her back met the soft mattress. She let out a small satisfied hum when she felt soft hands gently caressing her head, at some point, she felt lips pressed against the side of her head too.

 

“Sweet dream...Joohyun,”

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

It's the day of the photoshoot.

 

Seungwan was scared out of her wits because she hasn't done anything like this before. She was getting her makeup done with utter quietness while Joohyun was busy conversing with staff.

 

It highlighted the experience Joohyun always bragged about. Joohyun knew all these things on the back of her head. She wasn't looking out of place or lost in the swarm of people rushing to get their work done. She was there like she was meant to be there.

 

“You look nervous,” Joohyun approached her with a teasing grin resting on her face. She leaned against the chair with her arms crossed, eyes fixed on Seungwan's fidgeting fingers.

 

“If that's the case, then you must be blind,” She replied, taking her eyes away from Joohyun. She was nervous anyone could see it but that doesn't mean she'll just admit it. 

 

“You should learn how to be a better liar,” Joohyun raised her brow, that stupid grin still resting on her lips. “You look like you're about to pass out.”

 

“You're exaggerating!” She exclaimed, annoyed by the fact that Joohyun will never let this slide.

 

“So, you admit that you're nervous,” Joohyun asked, leaning closer not minding that a hairstylist was tending to Seungwan's hair.

 

“A little,” She sighed. Joohyun had a keen eye there was no point in lying to her.

 

“It'll be fine,” Joohyun slapped her arm letting out a victory chuckle. “I am sure my face will be working overtime today.”

 

“It should be since I am always the one working overtime in the office,” She replied with a straight face.

 

“You didn't just call me out for slacking,” Joohyun replied, a bit offended by her remarks.

 

She opened to speak but stopped when she spotted Yerim along with Seulgi and Sooyoung approaching them.

 

“Unnie!” She opened her arms allowing Yerim to lunge forward and jump into her arms.

 

“You surprised me Yerim-ah,” She muttered.

 

“We were passing by and decided to grab some things from the bakery for you guys,” Yerim replied as Seulgi raised the plastic bags that were probably filled with treats. “We also wanted to see the shoot.”

 

It wasn't long until they met with the photographers who were in charge of their magazine cover photoshoot. It came out as a surprise when they spotted Lisa along with Mina arriving at the set to instruct the staff about the themes of their photoshoot.

 

She remembered that those two were the new owners of the biggest magazine in South Korea.

 

Mina kept the description vivid. It was a photo shoot based on two themes. It'll highlight their personal and professional lives.

 

Seungwan and Joohyun changed into outfits that screamed domestic. It was supposed to showcase their lives as a married couple at home.

 

“Seungwan-ssi, will you lean against this counter,” She followed Lisa's instructions and leaned against the counter that was supposed to give the look of a kitchen countertop.

 

“Now, Joohyun-ssi, I need you to approach her from the back and curl one of your arms around her neck,” Joohyun did what she was told. “Think of it as a back hug but instead of wrapping your arm around her waist leave it hanging around her neck.”

 

The flash went off and Lisa let out a satisfied smile. “Beautiful.”

 

“Instead of soft smiles, be a little playful,” Lisa instructed and the flashes started going off again.

 

“Only if she knew what are we like at home,” She muttered under her breath.

 

“I would never hug you like this,” Joohyun whispered, still keeping a smile on her face.

 

“As if I am dying too,” She rolled her eyes, forcing out a smile. “I wasn't the one who initiated that hug in the elevator, the cheek kiss during the dinner and I wasn't the one acting jealous.”

 

“It was justified,” Joohyun reasoned. “I can't let them be gawking at a married woman. There should be some limits and I'll gladly create them,” Joohyun huffed. “Can't let them think they can make babie with you?”

 

It made her chuckle so much that she had to break the pose and turn around to face Joohyun who broke into laughter too.

 

“You're unbelievable,” She muttered as they didn't even notice several flashes going off.

 

“Perfect!” Lisa clapped her hands as she monitored the candid shots of them while they were laughing.

 

“Let's get changed and move to the next theme,” Mina informed.

 

It didn't get them long to get changed and come back. Seungwan raised her brow as she looked around the set. There was a bookshelf, a desk, and surprisingly a couch there.

 

“Now, we need two shots of you two against the bookshelf. It'll go like this,” Lisa started to demonstrate. “One of you is going to pretend that they are reading something while the other is going to stare at them.”

 

Seungwan grabbed the newspaper from the side and leaned against the bookshelf with her head tilted toward the camera. It wasn't hard because there were barely any times she didn't feel Joohyun's gaze on her. It had become a habit to sense Joohyun's eyes on herself.

 

“Good, Joohyun-ssi it's your turn,” She passed the newspaper to Joohyun and then rested her hands in the pockets of her dress pants. She didn't even know when a smirk on her face appeared but it didn't matter because Lisa liked it and they moved on to the next spot.

 

“Joohun-ssi is going to position herself on the top of the table and then Seungwan-ssi is going to lean down resting both of her hands on the sides of her legs,” Lisa instructed.

 

“Oh... that's unexpected,” Joohyun muttered under her breath, suddenly feeling warmth spreading through her face as Seungwan leaned closer.

 

“I must say,” Seungwan leaned down following the instructions. “These poses are quite inappropriate for working environment but it's not like someone can stop it if the CEOs of the companies decide to bring their bedroom activities to the office,” She muttered letting out a dry chuckle.

Meanwhile,

 

“I am too young for this!” Yerim exclaimed, pretending to cover her eyes.

 

“I told you they look hot,” Sooyoung replied nonchalantly.

 

“These surprisingly look natural,” Seulgi muttered examining their pictures.

 

Seungwan sat on the sofa and was positioning herself according to Lisa's instructions when Joohyun let out a snicker.

 

“This one really feels like the one we have at home,” Joohyun muttered.

 

“I wasn't the one complaining about sleeping on it though, grandma,” She replied and rolled her eyes.

 

“Joohyun-ssi, now, sit on her lap,” Lisa instructed and brought up her camera.

 

“My what!”

 

“Her what!”

 

“This is how they are going to give themselves away,” Sooyoung's face palmed.

 

“Unnie looks like a worm trying to sit on Seungwan's lap,” Seulgi muttered trying to hold back her laughter.

 

“Lean closer, act like you're whispering, and let your gaze face the camera, Lisa commanded.

 

Seungwan gulped and sighed before she rested her hands on either side of Joohyun's waist and leaned forward, lips brushing against Joohyun's earlobe as she looked toward the camera.

 

“Nervous?” She whispered with a smirk realising how the tables have been turned.

 

“Shu-t up,” Joohyun stuttered. 

 

Seungwan bit her lip trying to suppress a chuckle as she went back to posing.

 

It wasn't long until they were done and were on their way back home after treating Yerim and the other two to dinner.

 

Seungwan handed Joohyun her cup of hot chocolate and stood beside her, hands resting against the railing as they enjoyed some beverage in the fresh air.

 

“I'm curious Joohyun,” She muttered, nudging the older girl by her shoulder as she took a sip from her cup.

 

“About what?” Joohyun asked, raising her brows as she mimicked the same action.

 

“I mean you said you were willing to try after seeing pieces of real me,” Seungwan leaned closer as she raised her brow. “How did you know what's real and what's not?”

 

“I guess I realised that you weren't as bad as I thought you would be. It stuck me that night when you genuinely looked hurt,” Joohyun started, uncertainty lacing her voice. “I thought you'd take some kind of revenge from me but you still didn't cross any lines and instead helped me. It changed the way I thought of you.”

 

“So, you think of me?” She asked teasingly while bringing up the cup to take some sips from her beverage.

 

 

“I'd like to know more of you,” It was barely audible like a breathy whisper that escaped from Joohyun's mouth but she heard it loud and clear.

 

“It would be hard,” She muttered honestly. “I'm not an easy nut to crack Joohyun,” She warned.

 

“I think I am willing to take a chance on you.”

 

Seungwan was a little taken aback by Joohyun's honest words. It made her wife look more attractive then she already was.

 

Joohyun's cheeks were flushed probably from the cold. She couldn't help but cup her face and take a look at her from up close. It was an action done by her subconscious self and it surprised her too.

 

Joohyun looked endearing. In her eyes, her wife has always been pretty. She'll give her that, Joohyun is a gorgeous woman but it'll be too soon to admit that because she doesn't want to dig her own grave by boasting about Joohyun's ego.

 

It seemed like Joohyun got the wrong idea because she closed her eyes and leaned closer. It made her chuckle but it'll be rude if she rejected so instead of lips she gave her a peck on her cheek.

 

“Let's get you to bed Joohyun,” She mumbled and dragged the girl inside who was probably embarrassed.

 

“You know I don't mind you sleeping on the bed,” Joohyun mumbled head buried inside the sheets still embarrassed from earlier.

 

“I didn't know you were that eager to share a bed with me,” She teased, patting her pillow looking toward the head that was peeking out of the sheets.

 

“You know—nevermind.”

 

“Goodnight Joohyun.”

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

Seungwan poked the side of with her tongue as a bump appeared on her cheeks. She clicked her tongue in despair followed by a frustrated sigh escaping from .

 

“It didn't even stop, instead it got bigger,” She muttered to herself, eyes following the red lines going downhill that showed the decreasing value of Bae's shares.

 

It was a huge problem.

 

“It is more complicated than I thought,” She ran her fingers through her fringe, ruining all her efforts that she exerted in styling it in the morning.

 

Something was going on with the companies and it seemed like she was the only one noticing it. It was strange that she was more worried about Joohyun's assets than her own. Maybe because the one getting affected by this was going to be Joohyun, not her.

 

She grabbed her phone as her gaze lingered over Yerim's contact name. She owes a lot to her. She knew it was a coward's move for her to get Yerim to check everything she does in the company from the get-go because deep down she didn't trust her abilities to lead a huge company too.

 

Yerim was made for this. She was gifted in Seungwan's eyes. It made her realise that it was in her blood too. She knew she had to get Yerim in the business before it was too late.

 

“Hi,” Yerim greeted.

 

“It's not looking good,” She muttered, gritting her teeth to control her anger because Yerim didn't deserve to be on the receiving end of her outburst.

 

“I have been keeping an eye on their shares and there are no transactions and no activity from an outside source,” Yerim sighed. Seungwan knew she was about to say those words she was dreading not hearing. 

 

“It's happening from an inside source,” Seungwan concluded, trying to narrow down the options out of countless operations they are working with.

 

Hearing Yerim sigh was her last straw. Before she knew her knuckles were already shaking, itching to smash something, she badly wanted to let out an agonising scream, in the end, she settled with a deep breath.

 

She had two options. One; leave Baes on their own and watch their downfall. Two; get to the root of the problem and solve it.

 

She huffed thinking that in her mind the first one wasn't even a possibility.

She'll break some rules for now and get ready to face some consequences.

 

“Yerim check the finance department and get a trusted accountant to check for any suspicious activity,” She instructed the younger girl hearing gasps from the other side.

 

“Unnie you know you're breaching the security protocols! Finance isn't managed by us according to the contract,” Yerim said, scared of the measures her sister was about to take.

 

“I know but this is the only way we can find out who is doing it,” Seungwan explained, eyes fixed on the circled graph indicating the money that was taken from Bae's under their nose.

 

“Shouldn't we alert Joohyun unnie about this,” Yerim questioned.

 

“She's already under the eye of Chairman Son. I don't want her to grab unnecessary attention. He's already on her tail to look out for any sort of opportunities to humiliate her, She spoke.

 

“But if we don't tell them it won't be long until they'll notice it,” Yerim pointed out.

 

“I know,” She sighed. It has really become a habit now. “I'll just transfer my other shares to them for now.”

 

“I got it.”

 

“I'm sorry, Yerim-ah.”

 

Seungwan covered her face with both of her palms as she started to shake her head in despair. She was feeling all sorts of things and she doesn't know how to handle them all without overwhelming herself.

 

Seungwan stood up from her chair and walked towards the window. She was fulfilling her responsibilities as a wife but at the same time, she felt she was neglecting her responsibilities as a sister.

 

“I am not backing out from my goal,” She reminded herself. All her choices lead her to this moment. She was doing it for Yerim. She won't give up until she secures a bright future for Yerim. She'll do anything to make Yerim a shareholder in the company.

 

She turned around hearing the sound of the door opening that revealed Sooyoung with some plastic bags in her hand.

 

“Director Son has invited you and Joohyun for dinner tonight,” Sooyoung said as she placed the plastic bags on the table.

 

“Is this a family dinner?” She asked.

 

“I heard her family will be there too,” Sooyoung replied with a shrug. “You're going?”

 

“I'll go. I miss my parents. Just because he's there with them doesn't mean I'll cut ties with them,” She replied sternly, tapping her watch continually waiting for Joohyun.

 

“If you're waiting for her then she won't be available today,” Sooyoung pointed out.

 

“Why?” She asked out of curiosity.

 

“She said she was busy,” Sooyoung told.

 

“That won't do,” She walked out of her office and stood near one of the workers. “Reheat the food,” She ordered and made her way toward Joohyun's office.

 

“Seulgi the files—Seungwan!” Joohyun looked up from her work to see Seungwan approaching her. Since they started eating in Seungwan's office, her wife's frequent visits to her office stopped. So it was a surprise to see her there.

 

“Why aren't you eating lunch?” Seungwan asked, ready to rebuke any excuse Joohyun was about to throw her way. She was already having a bad and missing Joohyun's presence while eating would be the cherry on top.

 

“I am busy Seungwan,” Joohyun replied, going back to typing on her laptop.

 

“Don't test me Joohyun, the food is getting cold,” She commanded, closing the laptop making Joohyun gasp.

 

“I told you I am busy,” Joohyun said dryly, hands reaching out to open her laptop again when Seungwan grabbed them.

 

“Joohyun I am going to make myself clear either get up by yourself or I am going to carry you like a sack if I have to,” Seungwan warned, keeping the laptop shut. She was being dead serious.

 

Joohyun snickered, opening the screen once again knowing Seungwan's words hold no value. She wouldn't do that, would she?

 

“You asked for it,” Seungwan said. She walked over to the side and pulled Joohyun's chair away from her table. Joohyun let out a squeak when she felt arms snaking around her thighs.

 

Next thing she knew she was toppled over Seungwan's shoulders like a literal sack.

 

“Put me down!” She yelled as she thumped against Seungwan's back. This did not affect Seungwan as she walked out of the office carrying her securely.

 

“Joohyun unnie the files—Oh,” Seulgi, who looked like she ran a marathon, stopped on her steps when she witnessed her boss thrown over her wife's shoulder.

 

“Carry her things to my office,” She told Seulgi and entered the elevator. 

 

Seulgi nodded in a daze, still reflecting on what she just witnessed before she rushed to Joohyun's office to collect her things.

 

“Put me down at least now!” Joohyun said, slapping her shoulders lightly. She was regretting provoking her wife because Seungwan was clearly having one of those days where she'll be having none of anything.

 

“If I put you down you're going straight back to your office. I warned you, didn't I.” Seungwan replied not even fazed by the stares her employees were giving her as she made her way toward her office.

 

“I love this job,” Sooyoung exclaimed, opening the door of the office for Seungwan. She expected Seungwan to be upset over Joohyun skipping lunch but she didn't expect Seungwan to do this.

 

“Can you put me down now?” Joohyun pleaded as she started to feel dizzy. Seungwan put her down. Joohyun felt a momentary weakness in her knees and stumbled. Seungwan grabbed her by her waist to steady her.

 

“You alright,” She asked, concerned. 

 

“Yep, never been better,” Joohyun replied sarcastically, resting her hand on Seungwan's shoulder to gain her balance.

 

“Sooyoung is the food reheated?” She asked diverting her attention to the latter who was still standing near the door while keeping her hold on Joohyun's waist firm.

 

“Enjoy,” Sooyoung replied, closing the door to give them privacy.

 

“Seungwan when I say 'I don't want to eat' it means that I don't want to eat. What part of that you didn't understand?” Joohyun asked, jerking her hand from her waist only for Seungwan to catch her wrist.

 

“We have been married for some time now, Joohyun,” She mumbled. “If you haven't caught up with me yet then let me tell you I am not a big fan of eating alone”. She wouldn't sit through the agonising breakfasts, lunches, or dinners with Joohyun even if they weren't on good terms for nothing.

 

Something in Joohyun's brain must have clicked because the latter widens her eyes as if a realisation hit her.

 

She watched Joohyun nod before she sat down and eyed the food in front of her. She knew her wife was hungry with the way she was looking at the food. She walked over and placed a dish and chopsticks in front of her.

 

Seungwan sat beside her silently, her thighs brushing against Joohyun's but she didn't pay attention as she grabbed some pieces of meat and placed them in Joohyun's dish. 

 

Joohyun leaned back watching Seungwan as the younger one prepared her dish for her, opened the soup bowl for her, and placed it near her. It was nothing new at that point she was used to seeing Seungwan prepare her meal.

 

After doing so the younger girl dived into her meal, eating quietly.

 

Joohyun started eating, thankful that the younger girl was looking out for her minus the carrying her on her shoulder like a sack part.

 

“What work were you doing back there?” Seungwan asked, taking a sip from her beverage.

 

“I have some financial reports to prepare and a data analysis meeting with Jeons today,” Joohyun answered.

 

Seungwan hummed and nodded. They were getting along just fine. Talking became easy. She doesn't know the exact moment they became this comfortable but she wasn't the one to complain about it 

 

“Just do the meeting with Jeons and I will handle the financial report,” She declared looking up to see Seulgi entering through the door with Joohyun's things in her hands.

 

“Can I ask why?” Joohyun asked, mouth stuffed with food.

 

“We have dinner with our families tonight. You have to freshen up and get ready too.” Seungwan explained placing more pieces of meat in Joohyun's dish. Her action makes Seulgi raise her brows.

 

“I wasn't informed,” Joohyun mumbled.

 

“I wasn't either, just got to know after lunchtime started,” Seungwan shared.

 

“Seulgi can you show me what I need to do regarding the finance report?” Seungwan asked stopping Seulgi who was leaving.

 

“Uh-Me?” Seulgi asked, pointing her own fingers toward herself with a troubled expression.

 

“You're cute,” Seungwan said, smiling before she nodded at Seulgi's question.

 

Joohyun couldn't help but furrow her bros witnessing the interaction between her wife and her best friend. She huffed in annoyance watching Seulgi teach Seungwan the details about work. The latter was sitting right beside her, their legs brushing together but her attention was fixed on Seulgi.

 

Joohyun squinted her eyes as she watched Seulgi leave.

 

“Tell me do you like Seulgi?” Joohyun asked with fire in her eyes when Seungwan turned to face her.

 

“You're jealous are you?” Seungwan shrugged nonchalantly, looking away as she stood up when Joohyun grabbed her wrists and pulled her forward.

 

Seungwan widened her eyes, processing their positions with Joohyun on top of her while her hands were pinned against the couch.

 

“What are you and Seulgi?” Joohyun asked again with a fierce gaze that could pierce her eyes if she stares for too long.

 

“Me and Seulgi are just friends,” Seungwan replied in a daze. “She's like my sister.”

 

“Call me possessive Seungwan but I don't like to share things that are mine and that includes you too Bae Seungwan.”

 

Seungwan eyes widened processing the words that escaped from Joohyun's mouth. She felt breathless as she looked up to meet those fiery eyes of Joohyun. Joohyun was staring down at her. She knew just by that gaze that Joohyun meant every word she said.

 

The room was silent. She could only hear the sound of her breathing as she refused to break eye contact with Joohyun. She could see the tension between them from miles away.

 

She doesn't understand. She has enough power to flip their positions. But something about that intense gaze made her arms and limbs go limp.

 

She felt the lump forming in , the churning in her stomach, the jittery feeling in her chest, her pupils enlarging. It all felt weird. It was something she has never felt before.

 

She panicked when she noticed that Joohyun was leaning toward her. She closed her eyes shut not wanting to look straight into those chocolate-brown orbs anymore. Those eyes will make her go insane.

 

She gasped when she felt Joohyun's lips brushing against her ear. She shouldn't like the way Joohyun's nose was brushing against her ear but she did and it all felt so wrong to her.

 

“I'm your wife,” Joohyun whispered against her ear, sending goosebumps all over her body.

 

“Joo—stop,” She muttered, almost whimpering.

 

“Repeat those words Seungwan,” Joohyun muttered, biting her earlobe softly.

 

“You're—my—wife,” She stuttered, her body shaking as Joohyun's lips sent her whole body into a state of shock.

 

“Good girl,” Joohyun whispered and she knew her wife had a victory smile on her face.

 

“I need to cleanse my eyes!” 

 

Both of them looked towards the door to see Yerim looking shocked. Looking down they realised the position they were in.

 

“Ye—Yerim it's not like that,” Seungwan stuttered as Joohyun immediately let go of her hands making her stand up.

 

“Seungwan slipped and I prevented the fall and this happened,” Joohyun muttered quickly making up a lie.

 

“Unnie I was just here to tell you that the files you asked for are ready. I will give them to you tonight,” Yerim told and went out leaving both of them as a flustered mess.

 

Seungwan immediately walked to her table hiding behind the screen of her device, warmth spreading across her cheeks as the flashbacks of the earlier moments went through her mind.

 

Joohyun bit her lip. She doesn't know why she said those things all of sudden. She felt irritated seeing Seungwan and Seulgi so close. It triggered her possessiveness for some reason. So she did what she had to do.

 

“Stop thinking about it Seungwan!” She scolded herself mentally walking over to grab her laptop to prepare for her meeting. 

 

Joohyun was about to sit on the couch when Seungwan cleared and said, “You can use my private office.”

 

Joohyun furrowed her brows confused, “You have another office?” 

 

Seungwan stood up from her place and walked toward the huge bookshelf.

 

A gasp escaped from Joohyun's mouth when the bookshelf turned into a makeshift door revealing another office. The hidden room was small compared to Seungwan's actual office but it was still spacious and luxurious.

 

One side contained a small bookshelf, a mini fridge, a tv screen, and a couple of sofas while the other side consisted of a desk with all the essentials needed for office work.

 

“I am used to working with high air conditioning, you can use this room and adjust the settings the way you like,” Seungwan explained nonchalantly back to her usual mood as she placed a remote on the table along with her things.

 

“How come I don't have such a room?” Joohyun half whined. She was in awe as she looked around the room before she sat down comfortably.

 

“That's why I am letting you use mine, don't snoop around. I have arranged things myself and I don't like people undoing the things I did,” Seungwan warned in a cold tone walking back to her desk back in her main office room.

 

Joohyun shrugged, already used to Seungwan's sudden mood changes. If it was another day she would've loved to snoop around but today she's in a hurry so she'll just focus on her work.

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

“I think I should've knocked,” Yerim whined as she walked back to her cabin earning Seulgi's and Sooyoung's attention.

 

“Why?” Seulgi asked, eyes focused on Yerim's monitor screen.

 

“I went to unnie's office and opened the door. I was met with Seungwan unnie laying on the sofa with Joohyun unnie on top of her,” Yerim mumbled, shaking her head to remove those images from her head.

 

“Are you serious?” Sooyoung asked excitedly.

 

“Yes unnie when I entered inside their faces were inches apart,” Yerim exclaimed, demonstrating the distance between the two girls with her hands.

 

“Wait! What did unnie say to you?” Seulgi asked, immersed in the conversation.

 

“She said Seungwan unnie slipped and was about to fall so she saved her,” Yerim explained, confused by the sudden question when she already told the details before.

 

“Who was on top?” Seulgi asked, earning a playful slap from Sooyoung on her shoulders.

 

“Joohyun unnie was laying on top,” Yerim answered feeling flustered after that scene went through her mind again.

 

Seulgi thought for a moment and smirked. “What?” Sooyoung asked, nudging her shoulder lightly.

 

“If she was preventing Seungwan from falling then Joohyun unnie should've been at the bottom with Seungwan unnie on top of her, but it was the opposite,” Seulgi raised her brow as the other two started to grin.

 

“Those two are finally moving,” Sooyoung and Yerim exclaimed, celebrating as Seulgi leaned back on her chair, twirling her pen around her finger.

 

“Looks like Joohyun unnie considered my advice,” Seulgi muttered under her breath.

 

“I am seeing them tonight again too,” Yerim chirped happily.

 

 “You're going to the family dinner too,” Sooyoung asked, shocked.

 

“Yes! I thought I would have to sit this one out as well but Uncle Son personally called me and told me I should come,” Yerim shared cheerfully. 

 

“Uncle Son? You're Seungwan's sister aren't you?” Seulgi asked, confused.

 

“Oh that, Seungwan unnie and Seunghee unnie always refer to me as their sister but I am kind of their half-sister,” Yerim replied, trying to use her hands to explain but ended up confusing herself.

 

“I see but they treat you like a sister and that's what matters right!” Seulgi immediately changed the topic so the younger girl wouldn't feel bad.

 

“I will keep an eye on those two who knows something might happen again,” Yerim announced, wiggling her brows, earning soft slaps from the other girl.

 

“Everyone going somewhere tonight and I am stuck with work” Sooyoung whined dropping the reports.

 

 “I have a spare ticket to this Tim Burton exhibition just so you know,” Seulgi nudged her shoulder lightly, stopping beside her for a moment as she was heading to her office.

 

“You're inviting me to come with you?” Sooyoung asked with hopeful eyes, making the older girl giggle.

 

“Who said I am inviting you?” Seulgi said, teasing the younger girl who started to pout again.

 

“You're not!” Sooyoung asked, whining.

 

“I am not because…I am taking you out Park Sooyoung, be ready by seven I'll pick you up,” Seulgi said gleaming as she continued walking back to her office leaving a blushing Sooyoung behind.

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

Joohyun lets out a sigh of relief as she walked out of the conference room and made her way back to her office room.

 

She expected Seungwan to head home without her because the younger girl doesn't like to wait in the office after her work is done. But seeing the younger girl reading a book while sitting comfortably in her office was something she didn't expect.

 

Even after she entered inside the younger girl didn't even budge, her eyes fixed on the content she was reading, her glasses slipping down her nose. It was a pleasant sight for her eyes.

 

She dropped her files on her desk finally earning the attention of her wife who closed her book and stood up quietly grabbing her blazer that was thrown carelessly on one of the couches.

 

“Did you wait long?” Joohyun asked, stretching her neck before she grabbed her key card to lock her office.

 

“I went out and brought some fruits and wine, grandpa doesn't like it when people come to such occasions empty-handed, something about family traditions,” Seungwan mumbled waiting as the older girl was locking her office.

 

“It makes sense,” Joohyun shrugged as she linked her arms with the latter a d walked outside.

 

“What are you wearing tonight?” Seungwan asked after they were seated inside the car, back to reading her book. 

 

“I don't know, maybe something with pants and a cardigan” She mumbled, still thinking about her outfit for the dinner.

 

“Wear that blue shirt with bows, you haven't worn that yet,” Seungwan suggested.

 

 “The one with ribbons?” Joohyun asked, closing her eyes, trying to remember the exact piece of clothing Seungwan was talking about.

 

“Hmm,” The younger girl hummed. “That would go well with a cardigan,” Seungwan added. 

 

“What are you wearing?” Joohyun asked.

 

“Probably that light coral sweater someone fought about,” Seungwan replied, looking towards Joohyun who blinked, hiding her guilty gaze.

 

“At least you're wearing it!” Joohyun defended herself by raising her hands in the air.

 

 “You didn't have to fight that lady for it,” Seungwan pointed out, lifting her finger to fix her glasses but Joohyun beat her to it, pushing the glasses back up her nose.

 

“I even paid for it first, she was the one trying to buy it despite it belonging to me,” Joohyun recalled, rolling her eyes. Seungwan sighed knowing the older girl becomes a bit strange when it comes to clothes.

 

“Wear glasses with it,” Joohyun mumbled after some time. “You look good with them,” She added.

 

Seungwan smiled smugly taking pride in the compliment, Joohyun is hard to crack when it comes to compliments since the older girl reeks of narcissism, she rarely compliments someone else, so she'll take it.

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

Seungwan leaned her head back against the window, closing her eyes upon seeing her family's house. The house reminded her of the good memories but with them, bad memories always managed to pierce a hole through her heart.

 

She opened her eyes when Joohyun moved beside her, the door of the car opening from both sides, a male greeting them as they got out of the car.

 

She gave the basket of fruits and the wine to one of the maids approaching them as they made their way inside with Joohyun linking their arms together as they always do.

 

“You didn't tell me this place was enormous,” Joohyun whispered, eyes looking around in awe. The older girl was used to living in big places but seeing a place like Seungwan's family house was a life-changing experience.

 

“Have the others arrived?” Seungwan asked, stopping near a hallway, eyes lingering over a particular room. The maid shook her head in a no to which Seungwan nodded.

 

“Tell us when everyone has arrived. I want to show her my room,” Seungwan told before she grabbed Joohyun's arm and pulled her toward her bedroom.

 

“I hate waiting during such occasions, it's awkward and I am saving you from the questions they are going to ask,” Seungwan explained nonchalantly sitting on her bed casually. Even after so many years, the bedroom was still the same and she can only thank her mother for that.

 

Joohyun looked around the room, eyes widening like a curious bunny, the room oddly reminded her of Seungwan, it looked like a place where Seungwan would've preferred staying.

 

“You know how to play these?” She asked curiously, hovering her hand above the guitar which was placed in the corner of the room along with numerous other instruments.

 

“I used to, in college, then I took over the company and didn't get enough time to touch these again,” Seungwan shared watching the older girl look around her room with endearment.

 

Joohyun nodded looking at the wall behind Seungwan filled with framed certificates. As she looked around she grabbed a frame showing Seungwan carrying Yerim in her arms and Sooyoung laughing at them.

 

“You had short hair?” She asked showing the picture to Seungwan who got up to look at the picture she was holding.

 

“I went for a trim but the feeling of my hair getting lighter was satisfying so I just ended up cutting them short,” Seungwan explained standing behind Joohyun, her front meeting the latter's back.

 

“You used to be so productive!” Joohyun muttered in awe, making the younger girl giggle.

 

“What did you do during those times?” Seungwan asked, eyes going through the frames, hitting her with nostalgic memories.

 

“I was more of a study and hang out with friends kind of person, stayed away from all the things that meant attention coming my way,” Joohyun said, putting down the frame hearing a knock on the door revealing Yerim and Seunghee who had a grin on their faces.

 

“You weren't even planning on meeting us, we would not have even known you were here if it wasn't for the maids,” Seunghee complained, slapping Seungwan's shoulder lightly.

 

“We were just coming,” Seungwan mumbled, rubbing her arms.

 

“Unnie the files you asked for, I put them in your car,” Yerim said walking beside Joohyun.

 

“No talk about work tonight,” Seunghee told putting Yerim in a headlock as both of them walked in front.

 

A smile appeared on Joohyun's face as she looked at Seungwan who was smiling while watching her sisters play.

 

“Here they are” Seungwan's mother chirped immediately engulfing both of them in a hug, Joohyun's mother doing the same after.

 

“Honey, what were you two doing?” Seungwan's mother asked. 

 

Seungwan opened to speak when Joohyun spoke “She was showing her bedroom to me eomeoni” 

 

“It feels like yesterday when you two just got married, look at you two now,” Joohyun's mother gleamed caressing Seungwan's cheek lovingly to which Seungwan just shyly nodded.

 

The atmosphere of the whole room changed when they all sat down to eat dinner. Her grandfather was at the head of the table with her parents on her side, followed by Joohyun's parents and then Yerim and Seunghee. Seungwan cursed mentally as she and Joohyun were seated in front of her grandpa.

 

It was going to be a long night.

 

The dinner was going well with everyone indulging in small talk with each other. Seungwan felt awkward with her grandpa's gaze on her so she kept distracting herself by eating and talking with her sisters.

 

Her eyes fell on Joohyun's dish which barely had any meat in it so just like she always does during lunch, she placed a few pieces of meat on her plate and went back to eating.

 

Feeling eyes on her, she looked up to see her sisters and both mothers looking at them with teasing smiles. “What!” She asked, annoyed by the attention. 

 

“Nothing, we just find your acts of service very sweet,” Seunghee teased, making Seungwan roll her eyes.

 

“You're not eating sashimi?” Joohyun whispered pointing toward the untouched seafood in her dish.

 

 “I don't like it, the texture is weird,” She grumbled.

 

 “Me neither, I am not a fan of the mushy texture,” Joohyun whispered, making weird faces that made her giggle.

 

Soon when the dinner was wrapping up, her grandfather's utensils clinked against the marble dish earning everyone's attention.

 

“Seungwan, I would like to speak to you in private…it's about work” He ordered and left.

 

Seungwan placed down her utensils as well. Mind going through the events that took place during the dinner so she can find where she messed up. She bit her lip nervously excusing herself because she knew her grandfather wasn't happy with something she did back there.

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

“So how's the married life so far?” Joohyun was huddled between her mother and Seungwan's mother with Yerim and Seunghee sitting in front of them.

 

“It's fine,” She replied with a shrug thinking about the conversation Seungwan was going to have with her grandfather, their last interactions weren't very pleasant to witness.

 

“What do you mean it's just fine?” Seungwan's mother mumbled.

 

“How do you spend your days together?” Seunghee asked curiously.

 

“We talk about work and eat together,” She mumbled.

 

“What!” She asked, a little bit annoyed. It looks like Seungwan's habits have been rubbing on her.

 

“You're telling me you two don't get to spend some quality time together,” Seungwan's mother exclaimed.

 

“How many times have you two slept together?” Her mother asked.

 

She widened her eyes in horror looking at the two women who were waiting for her answer “Excuse me!” She exclaimed, bothered by such a question.

 

“Yah! We're your mothers, we deserve to know such things so we can guide you,” Joohyun blinked, taken aback, why would she need advice from them when she's a grown woman?

 

She sighed seeing their persistent gaze, the events of the wedding night flashed in her eyes, spreading warmth across her cheeks, she lied “Once.”

 

“What!” It was their turn to be annoyed as they looked at her like she committed some sort of crime.

 

“You're telling me that”—“Don't say that out loud!” 

 

“You're telling me it took my baby twenty-six years to get physical with someone and it was only once,” Seungwan's mother and Seunghee exclaimed dramatically while Yerim just looked at her apologetically.

 

It was Joohyun's turn to be surprised, falling wide open hearing the newly revealed information about her wife. She lied about sleeping with Seungwan, it meant that the younger one has never slept with someone.

 

“I told you eomma we shouldn't have been too controlling,” Seunghee complained.

 

“Me and appa were just looking out for her, my innocent baby was too pure for the world, you know how angry appa was when he found out she lost her first kiss to that playboy,” Seungwan's mother explained.

 

“Can we please drop this topic?” Joohyun begged standing up, ears turning red as she walked away looking for a bathroom.

 

“I am going to convince yeobo to send them on a honeymoon,” Joohyun's mother said earning affirmative replies from others.

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

“I don't like the way you're behaving these days, young lady,” Seungwan flinched, hearing the anger in his tone as she stood with her head down low.

 

“What did you expect me to do Chairman Son?” She replied, clenching her fists tightly to gather the courage.

 

“Talking back now, I let that act of disrespect you showed in the office slide and now you're acting like this!” She shouted, slamming the table.

 

“Because I had enough of you controlling the way I live my life, I am supposed to fulfil your expectations by doing things you always kept me away from!” She snapped holding her ground.

 

“You were kept away from those things because of your rebellious ways!” He yelled, turning around to face her.

 

“Doing things I wanted to pursue is now considered rebellious,” Seungwan muttered, gritting her teeth furiously.

 

“You want that illegitimate child to get a part of the wealth that belongs to Son's but she reeks of nothing but you and the slums she came from,” He said in a low tone, disgust dripping from his voice.

 

“It wouldn't change the fact that unfortunately, the blood of a Son is running through her veins, hiding her from the world wouldn't change the fact that she is Son Eunhyuk's daughter,” Seungwan said in a trembling voice.

 

“Don't you dare take that name when you are the sole reason he isn't here!” He said furiously, raising his hand.

 

The room went silent as the sound of a slap echoed around the room. Seungwan closed her eyes, registering the stinging feeling on her cheeks.

 

“You think it's easy! I am paying for that, aren't I? I am willing to give part of my wealth to her.” She spoke looking up to stop her tears from falling.

 

“You were kept away from the business because you weren't ready and you weren't willing to learn…not because of what you did…whatever you're doing right now, consider it as a debt that you can't pay even if you dedicate your entire life to it.” He spoke, fixing the watch in his hand.

 

“I am expecting a better portrayal of being a Son from you and I will consider what you want until then reflect on yourself…those 51% shares still belong to me.” He said walking past her pushing her away.

 

“I agreed to this, but don't I have the right to yearn for my grandfather's love, I made a mistake and I am trying to fix it, I am still your granddaughter…” She whispered, her voice filled with cracks as she struggled to hold her tears.

 

“Fix yourself, young lady,” He ordered before he walked away.

 

Seungwan bit her lips trying to stop the tears that were threatening to fall. She thought she grew up. She thought she was better than this. She was strong. She hated the fact that such words still hurt her to some extent.

 

She blinked repeatedly and walked outside to see Joohyun standing at the end of the hallway. She took a deep breath because she won't allow herself to break down in front of Joohyun.

 

“I'll say my goodbyes and then we'll head home,” She put on a smile on her face and walked away trying to hide her quivering lips.

 

“Seungwan,” Joohyun called out as felt a grip on her wrist tugging her to the side. She let herself get carried away to her room and the next moment she knew Joohyun was embracing her.

 

She gasped clutching Joohyun's cardigan tightly pulling her closer until her face was buried in Joohyun's shoulders. 

 

“What's this for?” She managed to blurt out without tearing up because those arms and the comfort they were providing her were tempting her to just let it all out.

 

“I just felt like it,” Joohyun whispered, fingers caressing the back of her neck.

 

They stood there for a couple of minutes until Joohyun pulled back with a gentle smile. Joohyun offered her a hand as both of them walked outside.

 

She still couldn't help but think about those hurtful words and that stinging feeling on her cheeks. It made her feel pathetic that she was still stuck up over it.

 

She didn't realise that her tears betrayed her and were cascading down her cheeks until she felt those warm arms wrapped around her once again.

 

“Don't cry,” Joohyun's voice was soft and comforting. It only made her sob more.

 

She didn't want to hold on because she was afraid that she might be crossing some boundaries. Joohyun must've sensed her hesitation because she scooted closer to her and brought her closer by wrapping her arms around her waist.

 

It was like Joohyun knew the dilemma she was going through and took the initiative to grab her hands and wrapped it around her own waist, showing her that it was more than alright to hug her.

 

Seungwan felt torn. She didn't want the older girl to see her vulnerable side but all she needed was comfort and Joohyun was giving her that. She tightened her hold around Joohyun's body afraid that she might be doing too much but Joohyun's hold around her figure only got tighter and it gave her the assurance she needed.

 

She pressed her nose against Joohyun's neck inhaling her scent that surprisingly was calming her down. She closed her eyes once her tears stopped, her fingertips resting on Joohyun's neck, feeling her heartbeats.

 

She felt her eyelids closing and her hold around Joohyun loosened. She nuzzled her head closer trying to mutter her gratitude before passing out.

 

“Joohyun, thank you.”

 

“Don't thank me, I'll keep giving you the comfort you need.”

 

 

“Caring for you was my sixth mistake.”