. XI

You're My First Mistake

“Is this true Seulgi?”

 

Seulgi didn't know how to respond. It's a lot for her to digest. Chairman Bae was furious. So she tiredly nodded and dipped her head low.

 

“We have lost millions! What happened? I thought everything was going well! It's alarming that so much money has been swindled!” Chairman Bae's voice boomed, startling the others.

 

“I had no idea about this Chairman Bae,” Seulgi mumbled apologetically in a small voice, she was shaken by this huge revelation and it felt like deja vu because the exact thing had happened before.

 

“Jennie Kim, do you have anything to say?” Chairman Bae looked toward the girl who seemed much more relaxed than Seulgi.

 

“We're looking into it. Joohyun and I have been investigating it,” Jennie announced. “We were aware about all of this but take my advice into consideration and wait for Joohyun to come back before taking any action,” She spoke firmly.

 

“Is it true that Sons are involved?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Who is it?”

 

“I'm not at liberty to reveal it to you,” Jennie stated. “I'll wait for Joohyun to come back before proceeding because the outcome of this investigation affects her,” She added.

 

“I was the one that appointed you, Miss Jennie Kim, you owe me an explanation, tell me, who is it?” Chairman Bae slammed the table, fuming in anger.

 

“It's Chairman Son and there is a second source that we are narrowing down,” Jennie revealed. She didn't expect him to find out. She had enough evidence to prove that Chairman Son was involved but not enough to protect Seungwan and her father.

 

“Is her wife involved in this?” He asked the dreaded question.

 

“Joohyun is handling that part. I'm sure that neither Ceo Son nor Director Son is a part of this,” She put forth confidently.

 

“I'm joining the investigation, let me make some calls, you two should've told me from the get go,” Chairman Bae sighed and reached out for his phone from his pocket. “It's time to cut their honeymoon short.”

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

Seungwan lifted her head up, a small giggle escaping from , feeling Joohyun glued to her front. She was glad that there weren't many people on their side of the hill or else she would have to deal with a grumpy Joohyun because she didn't get to cling to her the entire day.

 

It was an outdoor picnic spot near the mountains, made for sightseeing and she couldn't pass the opportunity to see Joohyun regretting her life decisions because the older girl hated anything that had something to do with heights.

 

“I think you should just glue yourself to me,” She sighed, squirming her neck to loosen Joohyun's hold around her.

 

“You're so dramatic,” Joohyun huffed and finally detached herself from her. She took a huge breath to tease the older girl that earned her a slap on shoulder from her wife.

 

“Stop acting like you haven't been plastered to me the entire time we have been here,” She replied, raising her brows.

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes and reached out for her hand, her fingers caressing the golden band wrapped around her ring finger. She watched as Joohyun caressed their ring, it confused her because Joohyun was suddenly being affectionate to their rings.

 

“I never got to praise them but our wedding rings, they are beautiful,” Joohyun mumbled, a smile appearing on her lips.

 

Her eyes followed Joohyun's other hand as she reached for the pocket of her jacket and brought out a box. She squinted her eyes to focus as Joohyun opened the box revealing a chain and a ring.

 

“I got this the day we were supposed to talk,” Joohyun mumbled, showing her the ring in her hand. It was a diamond ring, she could recognise it because she had come across diamonds when she was asked to choose between a diamond or gold wedding ring.

 

It seemed normal until she noticed the unusual patterns around it. She pointed it out to Joohyun, making the older girl smile.

 

“It's a special ring, Seungwan. I bought it for that day but it was the day after our date I went to get it customised,” Joohyun put the ring inside the chain and made her turn around to put it around her neck. She grabbed the ring once it was draped around her neck and looked at the unusual patterns around it.

 

“It has my fingerprints on it,” Joohyun revealed. “I wanted to make sure you always have me close to you and look you have me close to your heart,” Joohyun smiled, her eyes shining.

 

She couldn't help it so she pulled the older girl closer and gave her a quick peck on her lips, mirroring the same smile that Joohyun had. 

 

“I have some plans too,” She whispered, hugging Joohyun from behind. Joohyun hummed curiously.

 

“I want us to get married again.”

 

“Ma—marry?”

 

“We got married because of circumstances, it was arranged and it didn't include much of our consent,” She caressed Joohyun's wedding band as the older girl faced her. 

 

“Let's get married and this time it'll be because of love.”

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

Joohyun ran her fingers through Seungwan's tousled hair, mapping out all features of her face, smiling because she was sure there wasn't any spot that she hadn't kissed.

 

She was envelope in Seungwan's arms, the poor girl tired from their love making activities, it made her giggle because Seungwan had made herself clear that no bedroom activities until they get back because her energy was reserved for looking around, but she couldn't help it when Seungwan was all hers.

 

She caressed her sleeping face, warmth enveloping her when her eyes fell on the marks on Seungwan's neck, all of them screamed that she belonged to her.

 

Her home, her Seungwan.

 

“Son Joohyun!” She flinched hearing Seungwan's groans. “Put your phone on silent.”

 

She grabbed her phone to see Jennie's name displayed on the screen. She gulped and picked up the call. She threw her head back in frustration and looked toward Seungwan who was awake now.

 

“We need to go back to Korea.”

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

“I am telling you this is the doing of your granddaughter!” The man shouted in frustration as he loosened his tie.

 

“I know,” Chairman Son smirked.

 

“You're laughing! While she's blocking me from getting Bae's money,” The man huffed in annoyance pouring himself a glass of alcohol.

 

“I am just admiring her cunning nature…she's my blood after all.” 

 

“Well if you're done admiring her, do something. She knows about us…it won't be long till she exposes us.”

 

“Calm down, Donghae,” 

 

Chairman Son opened an envelope as he looked at the pictures of Joohyun and Seungwan sharing some intimate kisses.

 

“I'll let them enjoy these last days of happiness because after that they'll be the ones ruining each other's lives,” He laughed as he threw the pictures in the fire.

 

“What are you going to do?” Donghae asked finishing his glass of alcohol.

 

“Nothing special I'll be just lightening up a flame they'll do the rest,” He mumbled. “I will never let a Bae live happily after what they did to my Eunhyuk!”

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

Seungwan has never felt this nervous in her whole life. She knew that someone back home at figured out the dirty work that was going inside the company, because they wouldn't cut short their honeymoon for some random work.

 

She looked to her side to see Joohyun glued to her phone, her wife has been stressed ever since that call, it hurt her because she couldn't do anything but wait for Sana's call to make her next move.

 

Her thoughts were interrupted when her phone rang and the name she was dying to see, displayed on the screen, she immediately walked to the back and picked up the call.

 

“Is it done?” She immediately asked pacing back and forth.

 

“I have finalised everything. I'm traveling to Seoul right now,” Sana revealed that made her sigh.

 

“Thank God!” She exclaimed. “If it wasn't for you the entire plan would backfire and people would've known it's me.

 

“Seung…wan.” She turned around to see Joohyun looking at her shock.

 

“,” She muttered under her breath and put down her phone.

 

“You…you did all this…behind my back…was all of this a part of your plan.”

 

“It's not what it looks like Joohyun,” She took small steps forward trying to reach out for Joohyun but the latter jerked her hand away walking away from her.

 

“Was this all an act for you? Don't do this to me Seungwan. If this is for revenge for hurting you, please, I'm willing to pay the price but not this way, not by destroying everything I've worked hard for,” Joohyun begged, tears threatening to fall from her eyes.

 

“You think I would do something to harm you Joohyun,” She sighed, feeling disappointed that Joohyun still didn't fully trust you.

 

“It's getting hard to not point fingers at you, Seungwan. You have been acting strange, working late when there was no need for that, suspicious phone calls in the middle of nights, and now this phonecall,” Joohyun stated hand trembling as she looked at her. 

 

She clenched her jaw feeling betrayed that despite going to such lengths for Joohyun, she didn't trust her. She could've made up lies to cover up those situations but she didn't because she thought Joohyun would trust her but that wasn't the case.

 

It angered her.

 

“I guess you finally discovered my true self Joohyun,” She chuckled and started clapping her hands.

 

“You—you're lying, Seungwan,” Joohyun strode toward her and grabbed her by her collar, tugging the fabric desperately as her tears spilled.

 

“Why are you doubting my words now Joohyun? You didn't have any problem in reaching conclusions of your own, so why worry now?” She chuckled, eyes looking down on Joohyun who was speechless. “You thought only you could break a heart.”

 

“Don't do this to me Seungwan,” She felt the anger in her eyes melting when she saw the tears streaming down Joohyun's eyes. “I can't do this without you, don't do this please come back to me,” She sighed and removed Joohyun's hands from her collar and wrapped them around her waist before she wrapped her hands around Joohyun's figure and hugged her.

 

“If I tell you the truth, you have to trust me Joohyun.”

 

She stood on the side after explaining her side and showing Joohyun the proof of her innocence on her laptop screen, that had all the evidence and all the hardwork she had done until now to protect Joohyun. She clenched her jaw when Joohyun turned around to face her and looked away, letting Joohyun see her facade of being strong fade away as her shoulders trembled.

 

“Seungwan...I didn't—”

 

“Don't... don't apologise—all my life the same thing keeps happening to me. I give my all in the name of love and in the end it's me suffering again and again until it forces me to go back to my shell, pretending that I'm a cold hearted who feeds of hate to function.”

 

“No... Seungwan...”

 

“I need some time to process everything and so do you,” She muttered and walked toward the bathroom, her plan was to lock herself in there until she was in the right state of mind. Once, she reached the door she looked toward Joohyun and let out a small chuckle, a bitter one.

 

“Love is a disappointment Joohyun, remember that.”

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

Joohyun clasped Seungwan's hand tightly as they head toward their car. She sits inside the car and waits for Seungwan when she spots a familiar face blocking Seungwan from entering.

 

“Your grandfather is asking for you,” He announced and it made her gulp immediately, after knowing all the things Seungwan's grandfather has done to the company she doesn't trust that man.

 

“I'm tired Secretary Lee and would appreciate some rest,” Seungwan rolled her eyes and pushed him aside attempting to sit in the car.

 

“It's urgent,” He urged and looked inside the car, eyeing her curtly.

 

“I just came back,” Seungwan argued, eyeing lingering on Joohyun's hand that was reaching out for her.

 

“We wouldn't disturb you if it wasn't serious,” He stated.

 

“Get the car ready,” Seungwan ordered. “I'll just send Joohyun off.”

 

She widened her eyes, heart thumping loudly, she didn't feel good about this. She grabbed Seungwan's hand and pulled her inside, worry etched on her face.

 

“I didn't get to apologise to you,” She muttered.

 

“We'll talk once I come back,” Seungwan gave her a tight lipped reply and removed her hand from her wrist.

 

She couldn't stop the trembling of her hands as Seungwan walked away. She didn't get a chance to talk to Seungwan as the younger girl locked herself in the bathroom for the majority of the flight and then slept. She was going to drag her to the car and talk but it didn't happen. She didn't want to let go Seungwan like this. Her heart, it was hammering against her chest. Something was going to happen.

 

“Please be safe, I'll protect you Seungwan.”

 

Joohyun felt down after letting Seungwan go like that. It was hurting and she didn't know why. Her day only got worse when she was greeted by her father's furious face.

 

“Joohyun,” He muttered and Joohyun knew it'll be hard to convince him about anything related to Seungwan. “I'm suing the entire company including your wife. My team have enough evidence to throw them all in jail.”

 

“Dad! You can't just do that,” She said, raising her voice a little. “I need you to wait because I have some evidence to prove that Seungwan and her father weren't involved in this,” She stated calming herself down.

 

“Joohyun, snap out of it, don't be so blinded by love,” He mumbled angrily. “She owns those missing shares. It's the biggest evidence against her.

 

“I know she owns them and she has a reason for that,” She argued.

 

“Tell me! What is the reason you trust her so much even when her actions are pointing toward the fact that she's the main culprit?” He asked.

 

Joohyun sighed and closed her eyes. “I fought with Seungwan some months ago and she walked out on me. She came back very late and it was something she doesn't do. She came across these transactions that were being made from our accounts. She tried to stop them by discovering our shares in Aries Pharmaceuticals, she brought them and it saved us from being rebuked by them,” She began explaining.

 

“She was frustrated that it still didn't stop, so she had thought of a plan, she has transferred the shares of Sons in our accounts and transferred all of our shares on her name, this way the rest of the money beside the initial transactions were taken from them and not us,” She concluded.

 

“How did she think of that?” He mumbled, confused because it was a smart move yet a suicidal one.

 

“Both of us know the conditions in which we agreed with the merger. If we end up terminating the contract or suing them, we'll go bankrupt and you know it, our reputation will be ruined,” She muttered, owning up to the fact that it also caused a rift between her and Seungwan. She didn't like the fact that Sons were being all high and mighty, not taking any credit for saving them from falling in the market.

 

“I know it's hard to trust anyone after what uncle Donghae did but trust me Seungwan isn't like this. I have seen her fight with Chairman Son multiple times for our company,” She added.

 

“Chairman Bae, you should trust Joohyun unnie on this. I have worked with Seungwan and I can assure you she isn't like that,” Seulgi spoke up.

 

“Where is Miss Kim?” He asked looking around to see that somewhere between their argument Jennie had left the room.

 

“I sent her to prepare the rest of the evidence,” She spoke up.

 

He opened his mouth to say something but he got interrupted as the door opened revealing a breathless Jennie.

 

“Seungwan! She's in danger! Someone took her!”

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

Seungwan looked around the old building that used to belong to them and raised her brows because it was an unusual place for a supposed meeting.

 

She stood straight with her jaw clenched. She couldn't stand the presence of her grandfather after knowing what he did. 

 

“You needed me, Chairman Son?” She spoke first, eyes fixed on the back of the old man.

 

“I won't take much of your time Seungwan but there are some things you need to see,” He turned around and threw an envelope on the table, eyes urging Seungwan to pick it up.

 

She grabbed the envelope from the table and opened it. Inside the envelope were some pictures of Joohyun with Jennie.

 

“What are these?” She asked, eyes widening to see her wife and someone else in an intimate position.

 

“The finance officer is your wife's ex-girlfriend and now they are working under the same roof,” He said calmly.

 

She clenched her fists, crumbling the pictures in her hand making the old man smirk. She started to walk away with anger written all over her face.

 

“A little birdie told me she's in the Baes building,” He chuckled as he walked past her bumping into her shoulder.

 

He watched as Seungwan angrily got inside her car.

 

“You're celebrating what exactly?” Donghae asked, eyeing the old man who was pouring himself some alcohol.

 

“I opened the eyes of that lovesick fool, showed her that her wife was meeting up with her ex,” He mumbled gulping down the liquor.

 

“If that was the case she should be angry but from what I saw she had a stupid smile on her face,” Donghae mumbled.

 

“Don't tell me that she already knows,” He grabbed his phone making a call to his men.

 

“I told we should've made her crash that night and look at her now,” Donghae sighed and finished his glass.

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

Seungwan couldn't help but chuckle, hands resting comfortably on the steering wheel. She felt a bit disrespected that her grandfather underestimated her again.

 

She knew something was wrong when Joohyun was confused by the letter, so she decided to do what she had planned to do initially, to find out if the letter was actually a conspiracy to ruin her relationship.

 

It turned out to be true when she found out that the letter was sent none other her grandfather, after some threatening, she also figured out the man who had stalked Joohyun and was the partner of her grandfather in all these wrongdoings.

 

Bae Donghae.

 

Joohyun's uncle, the man who tried to do the same thing when he owned Aries Pharmaceuticals but failed because Joohyun's father discovered the truth. 

 

She felt angry at first because Joohyun had no problem interacting with her ex girlfriend in her working environment when her wife was right there but then a small talk changed her perspective.

 

“Seungwan-ssi,” Jisoo called out softly from behind.

 

“Do you need any help?” She immediately approached the younger girl with worry evident on her face.

 

“Can we talk?…somewhere private,” Jisoo mumbled.

 

“Sure,” She replied as both of them walked toward the stairs.

 

She stood in silence leaning against the railing, eyes fixed on the younger girl who seemed to be contemplating.

 

“You can tell me if you're having any problems Jisoo-ssi,” She flashed a smile giving a tight squeeze to the latter's shoulder.

 

“Do you know why Jennie saved Joohyun-ssi?” Jisoo began. “It wasn't just an act of humanity…she did it because she was guilty of ruining your marriage.”

 

“Pardon but why would Jennie-ssi ruin our marriage?” She asked confused, letting out a chuckle to lighten the mood.

 

“Joohyun-ssi slept with her ex the night before your wedding…Jennie is that ex,” Jisoo revealed, eyes fixed on the latter.

 

She blinked, registering the words that came out of Jisoo's mouth. 

 

“Jennie immediately knew that she made a mistake and when she found out that she was the reason for the conflict between you and Joohyun-ssi, she felt guilty,” Jisoo continued.

 

“You must be wondering why am I telling you this…I have been engaged to Jennie for two months now and I have seen how bad she feels…she confessed to me that it felt like she cheated on me…I am telling you this so you can fix your marriage with Joohyun-ssi so Jennie can be free from whatever guilt she's feeling…I know it's really selfish of me but I want nothing but Jennie's happiness.”

 

Seungwan gulped as she let out a sigh. It was a huge revelation for her but somehow she couldn't bring herself to hold any resentment against Jennie. The only reason Joohyun is alive is because of her.

 

“Thanks…I'll try my best to fix things.”

 

She smirked and stood outside the building of Baes. It was time to expose the biggest money swindling scheme she had ever come across. She can fix things with Joohyun another day for now her main priority was to protect the dream that Joohyun worked hard on.

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

Jennie smiled as she grabbed the reports. She got the answers she needed. It was indeed Chairman Son who sent that letter to create a conflict between Joohyun and Seungwan.

 

She walked back to the lift of the parking area when she heard a scream. It sounded way too familiar to ignore so she hastily turned around, eyes widening to see some men forcing Seungwan inside a black van.

 

Seungwan was struggling to not be pulled in. She managed to throw some punches but it wasn't enough to keep those men away. 

 

She cursed as she ran toward the vehicle as fast as she could. “! Seungwan I am coming!” She shouted.

 

One of them hit Seungwan on the head with a gun and the raven-haired girl immediately stopped struggling and fell limp to the ground.

 

She managed to reach the door as one of them put Seungwan's unconscious body into the car.

 

“Let her go!” She shouted as she ran along with the car but her feet gave out before she could do anything further.

 

“!” She cursed out loud immediately taking a picture of the vehicle as she ran upstairs.

 

“Seungwan! She's in danger! Someone took her!”

 

She said breathlessly to see the shock written all over their faces.

 

“Who?” Joohyun frowned immediately approaching her.

 

“I—I was coming back with the reports and I heard a scream…They hit her on the end and they took her…! I couldn't stop them,” She revealed as the frustration took over her

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

Joohyun sat on the chair, an ache in her making it impossible for her to breathe properly, her biggest fear came true, she shouldn't have let Seungwan go with them. 

 

Seungwan was abducted.

 

She promised that she'll protect her and she failed to do so. Seungwan's life was in danger and it was her fault. She let her go. The last moments with Seungwan were bitter and they were already eating her alive. She didn't want to end things on such a bad note.

 

“!” She heard her dad curse. It was enough to tell her that her dad believed that Seungwan was innocent.

 

“Joohyun, get yourself together. You need to be strong. I have called my team. I managed to take a picture of the car. We won't let them get away,” Jennie said, squeezing her shoulder.

 

She nodded and regained her composure. She must remain strong for Seungwan. In her presence, nothing will happen to her, she won't let her go away like this not when the last moments she spent with her ended in a fight.

 

“Seulgi ask the security to extract the security camera footage of the last couple of hours. It'll help Jennie's team in identifying the car,” She ordered, and the younger girl immediately ran out of the room.

 

She squeezed her eyes shut preventing her tears from coming out as she felt a squeeze on her shoulder.

 

“Be strong Joohyun…she needs you,” Her father whispered, engulfing her in a hug. She pulled back when she heard her phone ringing.

 

“Joohyun unnie! Is Seungwan alright?” Sooyoung asked worriedly.

 

“Sooyoung-ah…someone kidnapped Seungwan,” She whispered as her voice cracked.

 

“!” She heard the latter curse from the other side of the line “No wonder she messaged me.”

 

“She messaged you about what?” She asked.

 

“Unnie you need to come here now. I am going to call Yerim. We can find her,” Sooyoung mumbled.

 

“We're coming,” She said and ended the call.

 

“We need to go to the main building,” She mumbled to which everyone obliged.

 

“We should probably inform her family about this,” Her dad suggested.

 

“You should do that dad. I am taking Seulgi and Jennie with me.”

 

She caressed her wedding ring, looking at it with pure determination to save its other half.

 

“Seungwan-ah I promise I won't let anything harm you.”

 

“Breaking my promise of protecting you is my eleventh mistake.”