. You're My First Mistake

You're My First Mistake

 

Joohyun shifted, stretching out her arms to seek out the warmth her wife's embrace provided her. She fluttered her eyes open feeling annoyed after her hands made contact with the cold sheets.

 

She pushed back her messy hair and grabbed her phone from the bedside table to see that it was half past two in the morning. She sat up and looked around the room to see any signs of her wife but there were none.

 

Plopping down her feet she put her feet in slippers and made her way outside only to see her wife sitting on the sofa and leaning against the balcony window. 

 

Joohyun tilted her neck examining the latter. Rather than troubled Seungwan looked lost as her eyes gazed outside. Her gaze softened as she carefully approached the younger girl from behind.

 

“Love,” she whispered softly, wrapping her arms around Seungwan's front. She pulled back the latter gently, flushing their bodies together as she rested her chin on Seungwan's shoulder. “Why are you awake?”

 

Seungwan breathed out a sigh and leaned back letting Joohyun carry her weight, eyes still fixed on the night sky. 

 

“Did you have a nightmare again?” Joohyun whispered, tightening her hold around the latter's front once she answered with a small nod.

 

Seungwan nightmares weren't frequent. But they were always unexpected. Most of the time Joohyun herself would be the one to wake up Seungwan since the younger girl was used to whimpering in her sleep. It's the first time she didn't notice it.

 

“I don't know why they keep coming?” Seungwan trailed off, intertwining their fingers together. She creased her brows causing them to frown. “I think I need to pay a visit to Donghae and Grandpa.”

 

Joohyun felt her breath hitch. She hasn't heard those names in a long time and she prevented them from escaping from in case they bothered Seungwan.

 

“All of sudden?” she asked as she pressed kisses on Seungwan's shoulder.

 

“I feel like I need to face them one last time to get rid of these. Initially, my nightmares were more on the violent side, about that—the merciless beating I got but now, it's all about them,” Seungwan paused, “I wonder if seeing them will put an end to the anxiousness I am feeling.”

 

“If that's what you want,” Joohyun mumbled, ghosting her lips over the latter's forehead. “Then, I'll be here.”

 

They sat there in silence admiring the view in front of them until Seungwan let out a small yawn. It made Joohyun feel relieved as she pulled Seungwan up from the couch and led her back to their bedroom.

 

Once they were tucked inside the warm sheets. Joohyun pulled the latter closer allowing her to nuzzle into her neck.

 

“You should take off from work tomorrow,” she mumbled in a slurry tone as sleep almost took over her body as Seungwan's warmth enveloped her body.

 

“You're so keen on getting rid of me,” Seungwan let out a tired giggle. “I am a hard nut to crack. You can't escape from my supervision.”

 

“You jerk! I did that in the fury of emotions. I didn't know you would end up taking the management.”

 

“I am your jerk, aren't I? Don't act like you don't like my leadership when you like working under me.”

 

Joohyun raised her brow sensing the double meaning behind Seungwan's not-so-innocent words.

 

“Do I have to remind you of our rendezvous in Zurich?”

 

“I don't know what you're talking about but I think I need to make you remember a lot of things. You're quite forgetful,” Seungwan pressed her lips against the latter's neck, making the older girl gulp as her lips landed precisely on the mark she had given the latter. 

 

“There is no need. I remember.”

 

“That's a relief…Unnie.”

 

———

 

Seungwan tilted her head looking around the dreaded hallways of the prison. She rubbed her palms together to get rid of the sweat that was forming around her hand. It'll be an understatement to say that she was nervous. 

 

Joohyun wanted to come with her, sensing her jitters but it was something she had to do alone. So she reassured her worried wife that she'll be fine before she stepped inside the prison.

 

“Leave me alone s!” Donghae cursed out as he was shoved into the chair by the guards who were now standing behind him.

 

“They'll only leave you when you rot in this place,” Seungwan spoke up startling him.

 

“So, our beloved hero is finally back on her feet,” Donghae laughed, clapping his hands together, making the handcuffs produce a menacing noise. “How are you doing dear? Just making sure that hit on your head didn't mess up your system or anything.”

 

“Our beloved hero is doing well,” Seungwan mumbled. “I am back and doing better than ever.”

 

Seungwan shakes her head, laughing at him, making him furious.

 

“I pity you,” Seungwan began.

 

“You lost your wealth, the supposed love of your life, freedom, and soon your life,” Seungwan smirked. “But here I am standing strong with a lot of wealth and a loving wife.”

 

“You lost Donghae.”

 

“I didn't!” Donghae shouted furiously, he tried to stand up and undertake Seungwan but both the guards and Seungwan were fast enough to prevent anything dangerous from happening.

 

“I had it all…But you came and ruined everything,” he reasoned, letting out a groan when the guards pinned his head against the table.

 

Seungwan raised her hand in the air to deliver a slap to him but decided against it and let out an amused smile.

 

“Why are you laughing? If you have the balls to slap me then do it!”

 

“You don't deserve it because I don't want to get my hands dirty over someone like you.”

 

Seungwan felt satisfied with the confrontation and turned around after sparing him one last glance.

 

“I told you to not come,” Seungwan mumbled, smelling the flowers Joohyun bought to pay respect to Seungwan's grandfather.

 

“You did well in there,” Joohyun removed one of her hands from the steering wheel and ruffled the latter's hair.

 

Seungwan pressed her lips together looking down to hide the faint blush that appeared on her cheeks. It was often the case when Joohyun praised her for something. She never figured out why Joohyun's compliments made her feel so shy. Maybe it was because she was the younger one between them and needed constant assurance. Either way, she won't tell Joohyun that her praises affect her.

 

She nodded shyly to see their intertwined hands. Her gaze fell on the wedding band on Joohyun's finger. It struck her that both of them were now wearing two rings on their fingers. One was their wedding band and the other one was the rings they gifted each other on special occasions to mark the beginning of a new life as a married couple.

 

They walked inside the cemetery hand in hand with a comfortable silence enveloping them. Once Seungwan stopped in front of her grandfather's grave, she crouched down and put the flowers on the marble floor.

 

Joohyun turned around contemplating whether to give Seungwan some moments of privacy with the deceased but Seungwan grabbed her arm and linked their arms together with a smile on her face.

 

Seungwan let out a sigh, opening again and again in hopes of speaking but she just couldn't find the right words. Joohyun who sensed her discomfort rubbed her back gently, offering her an encouraging smile.

 

“I hope you're resting well,” Seungwan said. “Eunhyuk uncle once told me that people are not born bad. It's the circumstances that lead them to do bad things. I think his words fit you.”

 

“It's sad that you lost grandma and your son under some unpleasant circumstances. I feel bad and I feel guilty because all along I carried the guilt of making you the person you became along the way. I refused to see you as the bad guy and instead made myself the villain,” Seungwan mumbled, stopping for a few moments to gather her thoughts.

 

“I forgive you. Despite everything that happened you were once a man who adored me and loved me as your granddaughter. I hope you're living your life well up there. I don't know if it happened or not but if you met your loved ones up there it would make you realize your wrongdoings,” she nodded to herself mentally patting herself for being brave.

 

“Love makes us do absurd things. It made me like that too. I didn't hesitate to go against everything I had to protect the one I truly love,” Seungwan lifted her head and gazed at Joohyun who was smiling proudly at her.

 

 “Rest in peace Grandpa.”

 

Once they got outside, Joohyun cupped her cheeks with her gentle and warm hands before giving her a peck on her lips.

 

“You did so well in there,” Joohyun whispered, caressing her cheeks. 

 

“It's because you were there with me,” Seungwan grinned, lifting her hands to cup Joohyun's palms that were resting on her cheeks.

 

“It was all you in there Seungwan, you have been nothing but strong and resolute for the past couple of months,” Joohyun whispered, pressing her lips against Seungwan's knuckles.

 

“I love you.”

 

Seungwan sighed leaning forward to capture the lips of the girl who has been a huge source of strength for her. Removing her hands from Joohyun's palms she buried them inside the pockets of her coat, pulling her closer to savour every moment of their moment.

 

“I love you too.”

 

Joohyun mumbled, breaking into a smile after they pulled back. Seungwan tilted her head in adoration, getting used to the fact that they had each other. With a dry chuckle, she lead both of them toward the car and took the driver's seat, shocking her wife.

 

“Let's get tteokbokki from your favourite place,” she said, intertwining their hands together as she started the engine.

 

———

 

“Ahjumma, two tteokbokki orders, please,” Seungwan beamed.

 

“It's you two! My favourite customers,” The old lady chuckled before she went inside to prepare their orders.

 

“My habits have been rubbing off you. How come you're eating tteokbokki more than me?” Joohyun muttered under her breath, getting worried for her wife because she was eating tteokbokki more than anything.

 

“You're so stingy. Stop being a gatekeeper will you,” Seungwan rolled her eyes nudging her shoulder playfully.

 

“Here you go,” The lady smiled politely as she places their orders on the counter. Seungwan clicked her tongue in amusement when she accidentally brought her black card out to pay and Joohyun had to remind her that they accepted cash only.

 

“Over there,” Joohyun pointed toward an empty spot on the bed of grass with barely any people.

 

“Open your mouth,” Seungwan cooed, holding the piece in her chopsticks. Joohyun rolled her eyes and opened allowing the younger girl to feed her.

 

“That wasn't so hard, was it…Unnie,” Seungwan teased before she started eating as well.

 

“You always become so hyper when we come here,” Joohyun mumbled as she chewed on her food.

 

“I fell in love with this place ever since you first brought me here. I didn't even know we had a thing like a night market in Seoul,” Seungwan explained.

 

Joohyun nodded, reminding herself that Seungwan didn't have the luxury to live her life as she wanted. It made her sad that Seungwan was kept away from so many things like these for the sake of being a perfect heir. She clearly remembers the sparkle in those doe eyes when she first brought Seungwan to the night market. It reminded her of a curious child who was seeing the outside world for the first time.

 

“It's delicious isn't it!” Joohyun snapped out of her thoughts when she heard Seungwan talking. She looked at Seungwan who was talking to two children who seemingly looked like they were siblings.

 

“Here,” Seungwan took out some bills from her wallet and gave them to the vendor. She grabbed the corn dogs and gave one to both of them.

 

“Noona, you're so pretty,” The boy exclaimed, earning a slap on the back of her head from his older sister.

 

“What!” He exclaimed, rubbing his head. “I am going to marry her one day.”

 

Seungwan broke into a fit of laughter and clapped her hands together, finding him cute.

 

“She's off limits,” Joohyun pulled Seungwan by her, side-eyeing the boy as she wrapped her hands around her waist.

 

“Joohyun! He's a child,” Seungwan whispered, slapping her shoulder, finding it absurd how Joohyun feels jealous of a small boy.

 

“Noona is mine—Find someone else,” Joohyun continued as the small boy let out a sigh and pouted.

 

“One day I will find someone like noona,” He mumbled sadly.

 

“You'll find someone better than noona,” Seungwan whispered giving him a peck on his cheeks before his sister pulled him away.

 

Seungwan raised her brow side-eyeing a smug Joohyun who was looking pleased that she almost made that poor boy cry.

 

“You're unbelievable.”

 

“What! I just showed him the reality.”

 

———

 

Seulgi pressed her lips together watching a very furious Seungwan typing on her monitor and then she glanced toward Joohyun who was standing outside the office making a crying face.

 

“Unnie,” Seulgi crossed her arms, dragging Joohyun away from Seungwan's office. “What did you do this time?” she asked, annoyed.

 

“Ummm,” Joohyun scratched her head. 

 

“I kind of kissed Jennie.”

 

“You kissed who!”

 

“It was on the cheek!”

 

Seulgi blinked, resting her hands on her hips. The action meant she was waiting for Joohyun's explanation.

 

“I told them to fix that damn door! But no one listens to me!” Joohyun groaned, burying her face in her palms. “I was helping her with the door and it kind of happened.”

 

Seulgi raised her brow knowing clearly that Joohyun wasn't being honest. “Really?”

 

“Fine,” Joohyun huffed. “She was on the phone with Sana. So I decided to get back at her by spending more time with Jennie. But it backfired because Jennie's bag got stuck in that door and I pulled her out with so much force that my lips ended up on her cheeks,” Joohyun explained.

 

“You and your jealousy,” Seulgi mumbled with displeasure.

 

“Hey! At least it wasn't on the lips,” Joohyun defended herself.

 

“Shoo…Go and make up with your hot jealous wife before she breaks the keyboard,” Seulgi muttered, rolling her eyes before she walked away.

 

Joohyun sighed, a pout forming on her lips as she stood outside Seungwan's office trying to think of ways to make up to her wife for her silly mistake.

 

Out of all the absurd ideas, she goes with the most absurd one. 

 

“Mission: Seduce her way to forgiveness.”

 

Seungwan raises her brow seeing her wife in a condition that is only reserved for the bedroom. She immediately realizes what Joohyun is trying to do but it wouldn't be fun if she just bursts her bubbles just like that.

 

Seungwan tilts her neck, a smirk appearing on her face as she s her vest and stands up, approaching Joohyun.

 

“Does she think seducing me will get rid of the fire in my heart?” Seungwan mumbled to herself taking small and heavy steps toward her wife who was now backing away from her.

 

Seungwan traps her again the wall and her arms, leaning closer she maintains the smirk on her face, hands already ing the first two buttons of her shirt. 

 

“What are you doing?” Joohyun stutters getting distracted by the exposed skin of Seungwan's neck. She almost forgot that she was there to seduce her wife and not get seduced by her wife.

 

“What you were trying to do” Seungwan smiles, fingers pointing at the opened buttons of her shirt revealing a lot for her liking. 

 

“Were you jealous?” Joohyun asks with a smirk but all Seungwan does is smile as she starts to button the ed buttons of Joohyun's shirt.

 

“I will give you points for trying,” Seungwan whispered, fingers tugging the collar of Joohyun's shirt making her breath hitch. Sharing such intimate moments with her wife in the office was still something new for her. So it always managed to surprise her.

 

“But I don't want others to see and touch the person that only belongs to me in another light,” Seungwan lifted her chin, thumb caressing her lower lip, making her whimper. 

 

“So, why are you ing your vest?” Joohyun asked, thinking of something to escape or else she won't be able to control herself.

 

“I feel hot,” Seungwan replied nonchalantly.

 

“Then let me go. We're still in the office,” Joohyun poked her chest trying to push her back.

 

 “I am waiting for someone to arrive,” Seungwan replied dryly. “Do I look like I care though? Everyone here knows we're married. I don't think spending time with our significant other here is scandalous.”

 

“Ceo Son the financial updates—Oh! I am so sorry! I should've knocked!” Jennie comes through the door only to be greeted by the couple in an intimate position. She widens her eyes in surprise.

 

“Je…Jennie,” Joohyun tries to push the latter again, embarrassed by the fact that they got caught in such a position but Seungwan tightens her hold around her waist turning to face Jennie.

 

“Can you spare us a minute when we were in the middle of something?” Seungwan asks openly, flaunting her unopened buttons, giving Jennie a message as the latter immediately closed the door and left.

 

“You know Joohyun,” Seungwan whispered, lips brushing against Joohyun's earlobe. “Don't make me jealous, I will appreciate it after all you're still mine to devour aren't you.”

 

“You're forgiven,” Seungwan mumbled, backing away, leaving a trembling Joohyun whose mind was filled with cloudy thoughts leaning against the wall.

 

“This isn't fair. How am I supposed to work now when my mind is filled with things that aren't appropriate for work?”

 

“You brought that upon yourself. If you want something from me then you have to wait…Unnie.”

 

———

 

Seungwan looks around leaning against the car as Joohyun locks the door. They ended up working a little later than usual. So she just sent their driver home instead of waiting for them. She also didn't trust Joohyun's intention because her wife has been on the edge the whole day.

 

Little did Joohyun know, Seungwan herself had a hard time keeping herself sane after witnessing her wife in that ravishing condition.

 

“Do you want something to eat?” Joohyun asked as she walked toward her, to which she just smirked.

 

“You,” Seungwan slipped her arm around Joohyun's waist, pinning her against the car to kiss her deeply. Joohyun lets out a surprised moan before she melts into Seungwan's front. Joohyun throws her arms around Seungwan's neck as the latter explores with her needy tongue.

 

“Seungwan…” Joohyun whines as Seungwan pulls back and attacks her neck, leading them inside with careful steps. Joohyun barely gets any time to catch her breath when they make it to the stairs and Seungwan pins her against the wall leaning for another kiss.

 

Joohyun flutters her eyes closed as she registers the fact that Seungwan is kissing her, aggressively to be precise. She pulls Seungwan closer by the hem of her blazer, flushing their bodies together. 

 

“Seungwan…” Joohyun lets out a yelp when Seungwan bites down her lower lip. She holds her blazer tightly feeling dizzy with the amount of love Seungwan is showering her right now.

 

“You made me crave for you the whole day,” Seungwan's lips travelled to her earlobe biting down the skin as she pulled Joohyun away from the wall and slowly navigated their way upstairs.

 

“As if you didn't do the same,” Joohyun rolled her eyes, capturing Seungwan's lips as they made their way to their bedroom.

 

Seungwan sighs into her lips, hands roaming around her waist as she tucks out her shirt and starts to it. Joohyun does the same and throws her blazer on the floor not caring where it landed as her fingers move onto her vest.

 

Seungwan didn't allow Joohyun to get rid of her shirt once she threw Joohyun's shirt to the floor, she lifted the latter and pushed her to the bed. Breathless Seungwan lifted her gaze to look at the woman that was her wife looking ravishing just for her.

 

Joohyun gulped eyes fixed on Seungwan's hands as the younger girl slowly peeled away her shirt from her body with a smirk on her face. Those lustful dark eyes meant bad intentions only.

 

“I'm going to make you scream,” Seungwan mumbled hovering above her with demanding hands exploring her body. They have been there numerous times but it always manages to excite her. Seungwan leans down, her tongue moving against her earlobe as she whispers something.

 

“All night long…Unnie.”

 

———

 

Joohyun stretched her hands tying her hair in a messy bun. Putting on one of Seungwan's shirts she looked toward the younger who was soundly asleep. She decided to let her get some more sleep as she stood up and picked up their clothes.

 

Despite being occupied with their bedroom activities last night Joohyun didn't feel tired. For the first time since they got married, they were falling into a comfortable routine. Taking out enough time to spend quality time with each other between their busy schedules.

 

Joohyun was in awe of Seungwan's recovery. Even the doctors were surprised by her. She thought she would be able to keep Seungwan away from the work but the latter immediately got back to work just a couple of weeks after they moved. 

 

Joohyun grabbed their stuff from the car and made her way upstairs to their little office room and put them where they belonged before she went back downstairs to cook some breakfast for both of them.

 

She smiled to herself waiting for Seungwan to come from behind and hug her because the latter had a habit of creeping up on her and surprising her. 

 

“Uh,” she mumbled to herself as she placed the cooked dishes on the table but her wife was nowhere to be seen. “She usually wakes up around this time.”

 

Surprised and a little bit confused she made her way upstairs to wake her wife up but seeing the bed empty added more to her surprise. She was about to call out for her but she stopped when she heard whimpers from the bathroom.

 

She opened the door and it revealed Seungwan still in her nightwear hugging her knees under the cold shower shaking tremendously.

 

“Seungwan…” Joohyun immediately grabbed a towel and rushed to her side and turned off the shower before she wrapped the towel around the latter.

 

“Don't…touch me…please…get…get away,” Seungwan whimpered, crawling away from Joohyun looking scared. Joohyun closed her eyes as it clicked to her that Seungwan might be having another attack.

 

“Come here,” she gently draped the towel over her again and wrapped her arms around her, enveloping her in a hug.

 

“Tell them to stop,” Seungwan whispered, voice filled with cracks as tears streamed down her face.

 

Joohyun nodded and held her. It made her think that Seungwan wasn't being transparent about the whole situation. 

 

“Seungwan…Is there something you want to tell me about that day that you have kept to yourself until now?” she asked as gently as she could but it was time to be a bit demanding for her to figure out what was exactly bothering Seungwan.

 

Seungwan remained silent as both of them sat on the wet bathroom floor with Joohyun embracing Seungwan.

 

“I wasn't just physically assaulted that day,” Seungwan began as her body trembled. “They attempted to…ually… assault me.”

 

Joohyun let out a gasp, feeling her body tremble, hearing the words that escaped from Seungwan's mouth. She gulped down her saliva as she contemplated on the next words to speak.

 

“It didn't happen,” Seungwan continued feeling scared that Joohyun might not look at her the same ever again. “They haunt me. Their laughs. Their hands against my skin. The sound of my clothes getting torn. I feel so disgusted. Sometimes I want to tear my skin apart just so I can get rid of the skin they touched.”

 

“I didn't want to tell you. I can't afford to lose you Joohyun. I thought if I told you about it you'll feel disgusted with me and you'll leave me,” Seungwan turned around and pulled away to look at Joohyun. 

 

“Please…don't leave me Joohyun…I'll die without you.”

 

Joohyun lunched forward and wrapped her arms around Seungwan's neck, hugging her as tight as she could, breaking down.

 

“Don't even say it,” Joohyun whispered, Seungwan's back. “I would rather die than leave you,” she whispered, letting her tears fall when she heard Seungwan sobbing again.

 

She pulled away and cupped Seungwan's sobbing face with gentle hands. “We are in this together. We took a vow didn't we, we promised each other that we'll hold on for better and for worse. I made the mistake of pushing you away from me once, I am not making the same mistake twice.”

 

“You're not disgusting. You are so brave for putting up with all this. Despite going through so much you managed to stay strong and hold your ground. Every time I look at you I feel proud knowing that I am married to someone like you. How can I leave you when you're my source of strength?” Joohyun whispered in the softest way possible, calming down her wife.

 

Joohyun took her time and kissed her knuckles. “I will keep showering your skin with love until the marks they have left completely fade away.”

 

Seungwan blinked, her tears stopped as she stared into Joohyun's eyes. She considered herself lucky at that moment because how did she get blessed with someone like Joohyun? Unable to convey her gratitude through her words, she opted to show it through her actions and hugged Joohyun.

 

“Thank you for staying.”

 

“I am never leaving.”

 

———

 

Being madly in love with each other didn't mean that they were a perfect couple. Sometimes arguments occurred that took the shape of a fight that lasted for several days before one of them apologized simply because they knew one fight won't affect the love they had for each other.

 

“Listen!” Joohyun shouted loudly, poking Seungwan's chest. “I am done with you ordering me around like I am your slave because I am not.”

 

“If I backed out from that deal I had a reason behind it and I already told you. If you aren't going to believe in me then the problem is you, not me.” Joohyun yelled, directing her fiery gaze toward Seungwan.

 

“You need to learn how to manage your stress because I can't play the scapegoat every time you need someone to lash out at,” Joohyun shouts, voice dripping in pain and anger. “Just… off!” Joohyun turns around and slams the door of Seungwan's office room as she leaves.

 

Seungwan kicks the nearby table in anger before she sits down to cool herself down. Half an hour later, when she manages to calm herself down, the realization hits her that she was indeed in the wrong here. She screwed up. 

 

“Ceo Son. Are you looking for Ceo Bae?” The clerk asks when he sees Seungwan pacing outside Joohyun's office.

 

“Yes,” she replies.

 

“She left as soon as she came out from your office,” he informed Seungwan and she nodded.

 

Seungwan heaves a sigh. Feeling slightly panicked, she goes back to her office and tries to call Joohyun.

 

“! She's really mad.”

 

She looks toward her table and sees a bunch of paperwork spread around it. She contemplates leaving early to make up with her wife but ultimately she decides to stay and finish up her work. She can't let herself lack. It'll also give Joohyun some time to calm down.

 

It's past midnight as Seungwan stands against the window of her office, shoulders shaking slightly as she hears the raindrops thumping against the glass. She was done with her work an hour ago but it was the rain that stopped her. Their car was taken by Joohyun. She couldn't get over her fear to get a taxi for herself.

 

“Please…let me go.”

 

“I beg you…I have a wife waiting for me.”

 

“Get off me.”

 

“Joohyun-ah I'm sorry.”

 

Seungwan clenches her fists to stop herself from trembling. She feels angry at herself for being a coward. It hits her that Joohyun is home alone, still angry at her. Her heart wouldn't allow her to let Joohyun down like this.

 

“It's just me and the rain, this time I'll fight it.”

 

Joohyun lets out a curse once her anger settles down. She looks at the clock to see it's almost midnight.

 

“She hasn't come back yet,” she muttered to herself as she walked out of the room to hear the sound of rain pouring.

 

“!”

 

She hastily grabs her car keys and an umbrella, rushing outside, she fumbles with her car keys but manages to open the door.

 

Joohyun drives recklessly, her anger long forgotten, the only thing on her mind was Seungwan and her fear of rain ever since that incident occurred. She found out during a thunderstorm when her wife was trembling in the corner of their small office room.

 

The first couple of times she took it lightly but she realized how serious it was and how much it bothered Seungwan.

 

“Please wait for me Seungwan.”

 

Seungwan clutches her blazer tightly as she eyes the exit. She tries to shake her head to hide the hint of sadness in her eyes as she makes her way outside.

 

“I guess I have nowhere to run,” She chuckles to herself eyes tracing the path she has to take to get a taxi for herself.

 

She looks around as people run trying to save themselves from the rain. She just walks and takes slow steps, her head hung down low while she walks hoping that her footsteps will be enough to mute the sound of raindrops hitting the ground.

 

She stops when she no longer feels the raindrops drenching her. Her vision spots a pair of feet facing her. She scolds herself mentally for hoping yet she hopes and looks up.

 

A sigh of relief escapes from their mouth when a familiar face comes into her vision. Joohyun is breathless but her eyes don't hide the guilt she tries to hide.

 

“I am sorry” Seungwan silently begs but all Joohyun does is smile and closes the distance between them to flush their bodies together in an embrace. 

 

Seungwan closes her eyes wrapping her hand around Joohyun's back rubbing it gently to pour in all her apologies, nuzzling her nose against her wet locks she mumbles. 

 

“I am sorry.”

 

Joohyun closes the door behind her carefully not to wake Seungwan up before picking up her phone and immediately meeting with worried questions from Seulgi.

 

“She's asleep now. I guess she was too tired. She passed out immediately after changing clothes,” She explained to the latter calmly. 

 

“You should rest too unnie,” Seulgi said assuring her as she ended the call.

 

Joohyun sighed shaking her head. She looked at the umbrella laying on the couch. “She was ready to go home alone…just so she could apologize to me.” She mumbled to herself looking outside the balcony to see that the rain was still pouring.

 

Suddenly she was brought out of her trance when she felt arms wrapped around her waist from behind “Why aren't you sleeping yet?” Seungwan's voice was laced with sleep and tiredness as her head felt heavy again her shoulders.

 

“I couldn't sleep” Joohyun mumbled relaxing her body “Is something bothering you? You can tell me.” Seungwan whispered gently taking hold of her hands as she rubbed them in hopes of providing comfort.

 

“I feel disappointed in myself for the events that happened today,” Seungwan admitted, turning around to face her wife. 

 

“Why?” Joohyun sked choosing to stay quiet so she can listen to Seungwan's worries. 

 

“It's just you're my responsibility now unnie and it's not sitting right with me that you had to go through that because of my temper and trauma.” 

 

Joohyun looked down at her cold palms that were covered by Seungwan's warm ones.

 

“But it's not your fault Seungwan,” Joohyun said after some time. 

 

“It is. I hurt you with my words today.”

 

“I wasn't hurt. I just felt angry. My anger has died down now. I know you didn't mean any of that.”

 

“It's more like you're pitying me. Did you forgive me or did you bury everything so you could drag me out of my misery?”

 

“I know you don't like rain for certain reasons and I promised you that I would be there for you but I wasn't,” Joohyun murmured.

 

“Listen to me,” Seungwan nudged the older girl to sit on the couch before she joined her. “Rain is something that caused a lot of pain to me in the past but I am getting over it and it's all thanks to you…I don't want you to be someone who's pressured to be responsible for me…I want you to treat me like you have always treated me,” Seungwan explained softly allowing Joohyun to fidget with her fingers.

 

“I know Seungwan…it's just that I wanted to make an effort for you but I couldn't even do that.”

 

“I am thankful for what you did for me today, the comfort you gave to me just by being there was a lot and I am grateful for it. So don't beat yourself up for not being enough because you're more than enough for me” 

 

Joohyun looked up, feeling her heart at ease when she saw the same smile that always brought peace to her heart whenever she was restless.

 

To show her thankfulness Seungwan wrapped her arms around the older girl settling for a quick hug before she got up offering her hand, “Let's get some sleep,” She mumbled as both of them headed to the bedroom.

 

Once they settled down Seungwan took a deep breath as she dragged herself near Joohyun wrapping her arms around her waist and pulling her closer. The latter reciprocated, pressing her back against her front. 

 

“I'm sorry…I'll work hard to control my anger next time.”

 

“I would appreciate that.”

 

“Goodnight Seungwannie.”

 

“Goodnight Joohyun unnie.”

 

–––

 

“This is boring,” Seungwan whines, pouting toward Joohyun who sighs, stopping herself from enjoying a glass of fine champagne.

 

“It's an award ceremony Seungwan,” Joohyun shoves the glass toward the latter. “Drink up so you can let loose a little.” 

 

“I wanna go home.”

 

“Just a couple of hours more. I wanna see you get that award. So bear with it.”

 

The dinner goes by and soon comes Seungwan's turn to accept her award and make a speech. She smiles looking toward Joohyun who smiles proudly at her, taking some pictures of her with that award from her phone.

 

Despite being nervous Seungwan maintains a poker face and delivers the speech she practised with Joohyun the night before and earns a standing ovation from numerous business personalities.

 

“Is there someone you gained inspiration from?” Asks a reporter when Seungwan was about to finish and Seungwan smiles giving a small nod.

 

“Actually I gained inspiration from many but there is one who is the main driving source for me” Seungwan smiles looking toward Joohyun as the latter reciprocates her smile.

 

“She believed me when I didn't even believe in myself and always stood by my side through thick and thin. I admire her for who she is and for me she is my role model.”

 

Seungwan blinks looking toward Joohyun once again.

 

“Thank you for showing me the world from a different perspective. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you. I look up to you a lot whenever I am lacking. I take inspiration from you. For all of your beautiful traits and the way, you do it with ease. I hope you know how much I admire you for what you are. I haven't told her yet but I used to look up to you even before we got married. Thank you Joohyun. I love you. ”

 

“That's so sweet,” Everyone clapped and admired the couple, making both of them shy.

 

Joohyun watches from a distance as Seungwan easily joins the company of Yerim and Sooyoung who are already drunk.

 

“Everything about her is adorable” Seungwan's mother mumbles startling Joohyun before she sits beside her.

 

“It is,” Joohyun smiles as the words roll out of her tongue.

 

“Seungwan, she has the ability to see outcomes no one else can, that's why she's here today. Her way of talking about you and describing you actually changed my mind about your marriage. I always thought we were forcing it but she looked up to you a lot and it gave me hope that maybe you two will work things out,” Mrs.Son smiled shaking her head probably at a silly memory of Seungwan gushing about Joohyun.

 

“How…did she talk about me?” Joohyun asked.

 

“Just full of love and admiration for you. She was just always thankful to you. Never even once did I hear something bad about you come out of . The more she told me about the time you two spent together the more I grew to accept that marriage wasn't a bad idea. I understand why she looks up to you soo much,” Joohyun feels the weight on her chest lift slowly as the old woman rubs her shoulder gently.

 

“You shaped her up to what she is today and I am glad she found someone like you who showed her a different perspective of the world and made her feel loved. Thank you for taking care of her and loving her,” Mrs.Son smiles genuinely at her.

 

“No, thank you for taking care of her and loving her and staying by her side. Seungwan doesn't need to know but she's always been a driving force for me too. Things weren't always great but she made everything possible. I got the motivation to keep going” Joohyun says eyes never leaving Seungwan who was busy entertaining Yerim and Sooyoung.

 

“My love for her has always been unconditional. Something about her being with you just feels right to me. It makes me relieved and I think I can finally let go of her because I don't have to worry about her happiness anymore. Someone is there to keep that smile on her face. I am thankful for that Joohyun.” 

 

“She's in safe hands. I'll keep her happy. I promise.”

 

———

 

Joohyun groans stumbling upon the stairs, supporting a very drunk Seungwan on her shoulder. She can't even blame the younger girl for getting drunk because she knows Seungwan tries to stay away from alcohol. Leaving Seungwan alone with Sooyoung and Yerim was a mistake.

 

“Get yourself together Seungwan,” Joohyun whined as the younger kept swaying in the opposite direction.

 

“Psst,” Seungwan let out an incoherent noise when Joohyun managed to drop her on the bed and crouched down to remove her shoes.

 

“You can't even change can you and you're reeking of alcohol,” Joohyun rebuked the latter who was staring at her with confused eyes.

 

“Aish!” Seungwan punched the air and pulled Joohyun, making her fall on the bed. “Don't tell this to my wife. I will never hear the end of this from her,” Seungwan whispered in a slurry tone.

 

“I lied to her.”

 

“What did you lie about?”

 

“Shhh! I am telling you,” Seungwan gestured as she started to smile like a maniac. 

 

“I wanted to pursue music more than anything. I was prepared to get banished from my family. I was selfish. Then, one day I saw this woman outside my college. She was short.”

 

“Yah!”

 

“I am telling you a story,” Seungwan whined, slapping Joohyun's shoulder before she continued. “She was short but she was the prettiest girl I had ever seen. She was there to give a speech. So I sneaked into the auditorium and waited for her. That day I decided that I'll let go of my passion and follow her.”

 

“Who was that woman?” Joohyun had figured out Seungwan was talking about her but she still wanted to hear it from her.

 

“I am not telling you. It's a secret,” Seungwan grinned, eyelids dropping and it seemed like she would pass out any moment.

 

“I…have…been…crushing on her for a long time. I went through a lot just with the hope that one day…one day Bae Joohyunie will…love…me.”

 

Seungwan slurred her last words before she passed out and started snoring, leaving a bewildered Joohyun wide awake.

 

“She…she decided to take over her family's company just because she had a crush on me,” Joohyun concluded. 

 

“She's stupid for that!”

 

Joohyun looked down to see Seungwan clinging to her and smiled, caressing the latter's hair.

 

“You're really something else,” Joohyun paused. “It's absurd that you let go of your passion just because I made a speech but at the same time if it wasn't for your crush I wouldn't be here holding you like this. Thank you for never giving up.”

 

“Joohyunie…I love you.”

 

Seungwan mumbled shifting in her sleep.

 

“I love you too.”

 

——— 

 

It happens in southern Italy. Seungwan manages to clear out their schedules as they go for a vacation on Amalfi Coast. Instead of staying in a luxury hotel, they decided to stay in Positano, a small village near the beach.

 

It was calm just like they wanted, away from everyone, just the two of them spending all of their time with each other. Living in a small cottage, eating local street food, witnessing the beauty of nature, and taking late-night walks along the beach was everything they could've asked for.

 

It was Seungwan who brought them there but the reason behind it was Joohyun. She came there for a business trip way before she got married to Seungwan. The place got engraved in her mind. The moment she realised Seungwan's love for beaches she knew she had to bring her wife there.

 

It was another night along the beach, the difference was that they weren't alone. It was a village festival. Joohyun watches as Seungwan dances with the children by the beach looking ethereal in her white cocktail dress and a straw hat. Her wife's hair was almost as long as hers. Her fringe was nowhere to be seen.

 

It amazed Joohyun how almost a year had passed by since they got married. 

 

Seungwan was beyond everything she had imagined her to be. She looks at the other ring on her finger beside their wedding band. Just like she proposed to Seungwan when she was in the hospital. Seungwan did the same during her birthday despite not being fully well.

 

She wondered if Seungwan forgot about the promise of getting married again under different circumstances. 

 

“Hey,” she looked up to see Seungwan offering her a hand which she gladly took as they walked toward the children Seungwan was dancing with earlier.

 

Seungwan was tipsy, her flushed cheeks gave it away but so was she. She presses her lips on the younger girl's cheeks before she draped her arms over her neck as both of them sway to the rhythm of the music.

 

“Let's get married.” 

 

Joohyun widens her eyes as Seungwan whispers.

 

Emotions take over as she kisses Seungwan like never before. Before they know the villagers figure out their plan and they wholeheartedly decide to be a part of their special moment.

 

Joohyun's eyes sparkle with love. They get married again, this time because of love and love only. So when the villagers chant for them to kiss, she leans with the most genuine smile and claims Seungwan as her life partner.

 

Hours later they find themselves sitting on the shore in each other's warm embrace still registering the events that had occurred.

 

“I was wondering that maybe you had forgotten what you said during our honeymoon,” Joohyun mumbled, turning her face around to meet Seungwan's eyes.

 

Seungwan smiles, hand caressing the rings in Joohyun's fingers as she rests her forehead against Joohyun's.

 

“How can I forget you Joohyun? You're My First Mistake.”