. V

You're My First Mistake

Looking at herself in the mirror Joohyun felt disgusted, her eyes lingering on the wedding ring that was now adorning her hand. She had someone to look after now. Someone with whom she was supposed to spend the rest of her life.

 

“Joohyun-ssi you're tearing up,” One of the makeup artists pointed out. She looked at herself in the mirror again to see her eyes glistening with tears.

 

“So—sorry I am just a little overwhelmed,” She muttered, blinking her eyes repeatedly to get rid of the tears. 

 

“I understand, I saw the way you were looking at your wedding ring,” The lady offered her a smile and gave her a gentle squeeze on her shoulder.

 

Joohyun squeezed her eyes shut trying to get rid of the memories of the previous night but every time she saw her wedding ring she was reminded of the mistake that occurred last night.

 

“Listen we can't do this anymore! I am getting married tomorrow and I can't betray her like that,” Joohyun explained annoyed at the girl in front of her who was making everything difficult for her.

 

“Baby let's not do this. Who cares about her? She doesn't have to know,” The girl cooed, taking her hand in hers. 

 

“I do,” Joohyun muttered jerking away her hand.

 

“You aren't even married to her yet and she's already your priority!” The girl said furiously, grabbing Joohyun by her arms.

 

“I have been trying to break things with you for a while now even before she came into the picture,” Joohyun confessed trying to push her away.

 

“Look I know we haven't been talking but we can just be she'll never know,” The girl whispered caressing her arms gently.

 

“I can't do this to someone. It's cruel. Please we both know we weren't going to work. I told you the same thing when I signed the contract and I am telling you again. It's better to let me go. I am going to be someone else's tomorrow,” Joohyun said, trying to get away from her. She knew the alcohol and lust were getting to her. She had to escape before she does something she'll regret.

 

“I am not letting a stranger claim you like this baby…I am going to leave my mark on you…You're mine,” The girl whispered as she started to place wet kisses down Joohyun's throat.

 

“This is…wrong,” Joohyun suppressed a moan.

 

“Nothing is wrong,” The girl whispered, capturing her lips, and before Joohyun knew she had given in to the temptation.

 

Joohyun bit her lower lip as she slowly linked her arms with Seungwan, the younger girl guiding her slowly as they walked to the balcony first to greet a swarm of reporters as a married couple for the first time.

 

Joohyun wanted to disappear, every time Seungwan looked at her with those eyes, she felt something in her break.

 

Her wife has been nothing but nice to her. Respecting her and following her orders without any complaints. No matter how much she was against the idea of an arranged marriage. She couldn't bring herself to hate the girl who had her arms wrapped around her as she was posing for some pictures.

 

“Why did you lie to me?” 

 

Joohyun felt her world crashing when Seungwan let go of her and looked at her with those eyes. The eyes were enough to tell Joohyun that Seungwan knew and no apology would be enough to fix the crack she made.

 

“I hate you Son Seungwan.”

 

Before she knew it, she had already convinced herself that she wasn't worthy of someone's love let alone Seungwan.

 

Knowing what she had done, Seungwan hated her. So she'll do the same. That's the least she could offer to her because Seungwan didn't deserve to love someone like her.

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

Seungwan wiped the beads of sweat from her forehead before she continued with her workout. It was supposed to be a relaxing Sunday but the news of them attending a business dinner ruined her entire mood.

 

Son Seungwan hated those fabricated dinners with passion. It irked her how people can put on an act so easily for their profit. It was also the reason she was always in a bad mood whenever she had to attend those dinners with Baes for the contract discussion.

 

“Son Seungwan,” Seungwan groaned, stopping to direct a glare toward Joohyun who just walked outside. Her wife had her eyes as well as her jaw wide open. Seungwan looked at her from head to toe examining if something was wrong with her.

 

“Are you going to stand there in your daze?” She walked over, snapping her fingers to bring Joohyun out of her trance. 

 

“I—I was about to…wait,” Seungwan scrunched her nose in horror as Joohyun turned around and slapped herself in the head. “Owww!” 

 

“You're sick or something,” Seungwan turned the girl around and placed her hand on Joohyun's forehead. She was confused because her temperature seemed normal but the older girl's face was flushed and she was acting weird.

 

“I am fine,” Joohyun replied, fanning herself. “I have been informed that we have to wear dresses at the dinner and we don't have any available right now. We're going to grab some for ourselves, so, put some clothes on.”

 

Seungwan looked down to see herself dressed in her trousers and a crop tee and tilted her head in confusion, scratching it because she was already wearing clothes.

 

“But I am wearing clothes,” Seungwan replied, sure of the fact that Joohyun was sick and making a mental note that she had to look out for the girl during the dinner.

 

“I am not taking you with me when you're reeking of sweat and practically half ,” Joohyun commanded.

 

Seungwan for a moment thought to just let Joohyun's remarks slide but then there is nothing wrong with annoying the older girl out of her wits.

 

She stopped Joohyun who was walking back inside by grabbing her waist. Pressing her wife against the wall, Seungwan trapped her between her arms.

 

“He—hey,” Joohyun stuttered, panicking.

 

Seungwan smirked as she leaned closer and brushed her sweaty face against Joohyun's face.

 

“I guess I am not the only one reeking of sweat,” Seungwan whispered, lips brushing against Joohyun's ear lobe. She leaned back and wiggled her eyebrows.

 

“You—!”

 

“Shhh, people might be watching us, baby.”

 

After changing into casual clothes, they made their way to the mall. Seungwan stopped in her tracks as she waited for Joohyun to make a call. It turned out Joohyun was friends with the owner of a luxurious store that allowed them to have VIP access.

 

Inside, Joohyun greeted the owner while she walked toward the couch and took a seat. She looked to her side to see some female staff members peeking through a door to steal some glances at her. It made her a little conscious and she looked around to make sure that those stares were directed at her.

 

“Is something wrong with me?” She muttered as she took out her phone and started looking through it while Joohyun was entertaining her friend.

 

“You wanna go first,” She mumbled once Joohyun walked over. The older girl nodded. Seungwan stood up and walked over to the rack that was filled with dresses. After going through some she let out a sigh and turned around to face the female staff.

 

“Get me dresses in darker shades and make sure they are off-shoulders. I am looking for dresses that'll highlight her collarbones,” She muttered as she turned around to scan Joohyun's body from head to toe. “Make sure they are formal long dresses,” She added after her little inspection.

 

She heard Joohyun snicker and turned around to face her with her eyebrows raised as she mouthed, “What?”

 

Joohyun stepped closer and leaned over to her ear to whisper, “You just checked me out.”

 

“I was ruling out the variety of dresses that would look awful on you but sure whatever sails your boat,” She whispered back with a smile as she stepped away to see Joohyun rolling her eyes.

 

Seungwan walked over when a rack was brought with the dresses that fit her description and started to rummage through them. She couldn't focus because every time she looked up she felt the eyes of female staff on her. She let out a frustrated sigh and kept on looking for the dress that would go well with Joohyun.

 

She finally picked a blue dress and handed it over to Joohyun who looked annoyed too for some reason before she went inside the changing room to try it.

 

Seungwan stood outside the room, hands in the pockets of her pants as she waited for Joohyun to come out. She rolled her eyes once she spotted the same employees gawking at her from a distance.

 

“Baby!” Seungwan blinked when she heard Joohyun. 

 

“Baby,” She repeated and leaned against the door. “You called me baby,” She whispered.

 

“Idiot! Just play along,” Joohyun whispered as she opened the door with a smile.

 

“I can't do my zipper baby,” Joohyun whined as she eyed the female staff looking toward them. “Help me,” Joohyun said sweetly, pulling Seungwan inside the room and leaving the three women outside with widened eyes.

 

Seungwan huffed as she sat opposite Joohyun who was glaring at her.

 

“What!” She asked with annoyance as Joohyun crossed her arms.

 

“They are looking at you like you're theirs to be devoured,” Joohyun clicked her tongue as she leaned against the mirror trying to hide her annoyance. 

 

“Ugh! I felt like I was the only one feeling them looking at me at every chance they got,” She muttered glad about the fact that her being uncomfortable wasn't just a fragment of her imagination.

 

“I am standing right next to you. The audacity of them to direct those flirty stares toward you even when your wife is standing next to you!” Joohyun muttered.

 

Seungwan leaned back as she tilted her head, a small smile appearing on her lips, after realising how attractive a jealous Joohyun looks.

 

“Hmm,” She mumbled, standing up and turning Joohyun around to see that she was indeed having problems with her zipper. “I know right? I think I need to remind them that I am married to you.”

 

Joohyun crossed her arms in annoyance as Seungwan fought back the urge to smile while she helped her zip the dress.

 

“Are you wearing lipstick?” Seungwan asked, meeting Joohyun's furious eyes through the mirror.

 

“Hmm,” Joohyun hummed. “Why did you ask?” She questioned.

 

Seungwan walked back to the chair and sat down with her legs crossed as she ed the first two buttons of her shirt and started ruffling through her hair.

 

“Where would my wife like to kiss me?” She asked playfully, wiggling her eyebrows to which Joohyun made a disgusted face.

 

“In your dreams Seungwan,” Joohyun muttered.

 

“Okay,” Seungwan stood up, almost skipping as she stood behind Joohyun, meeting her eye through the mirror once again. “I'll go outside and entertain those ladies,” She whispered with a wink.

 

She approached the door when Joohyun held her wrist stopping her. Seungwan leaned back against the wall, hands in her pockets as she waited for Joohyun to pick her spot.

 

“Since you have your shirt ed, the neck it is,” Joohyun mumbled as Seungwan shrugged and tilted her face giving full access to her neck to the latter.

 

She didn't know why she was feeling so playful all of sudden so to make Joohyun's misery a little more enjoyable for herself she made sure to maintain eye contact with the older girl and it worked because the older girl's breath hitched.

 

It was quick. Joohyun immediately backed away, hiding the blush on her face while She looked at herself in the mirror, satisfied by the placement of the kiss.

 

“I like it,” She gave her verdict and grabbed Joohyun's hand taking her outside. “Baby, show me the dress I picked for you,” She chided as Joohyun walked over to the small platform to showcase her dress.

 

“Gorgeous,” She muttered subconsciously, this time actually checking Joohyun out from head to toe. 

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

Joohyun had a smug smile on her face as she looked toward the female staff whose eyes were fixed on the kiss mark on Seungwan's neck. It gave her a huge sense of victory. She was satisfied with the fact that she had made it known that her wife wasn't up for grabs.

 

“I like this,” Seungwan voiced out her opinion as she took a look at her dress.

 

“I'll go change now,” She muttered before going to the changing room.

 

Seungwan was sitting on the couch once again this time free from the stares of others as she scrolled through her phone. Joohyun walked over and sat beside her.

 

“It's your turn,” She said as Seungwan let go of her phone and walked toward the rack that was filled with off-shoulder black dresses. 

 

“Miss Joohyun asked for dresses of medium length that exposed your legs and highlighted your shoulders,” One of the ladies spoke.

 

Joohyun fixed her eyes on the latter as she looked through the dresses and finally decided on a black dress that would surely be eye candy for those who were attending the dinner.

 

“It's already noon,” Seungwan muttered when they entered the car after shopping for some casual clothes as well.

 

“We should head home to get ready,” She muttered after checking the time on her phone. Seungwan nodded and went back to using her phone.

 

She immediately got a shower once she got home and started to get ready for dinner. It didn't take her long to do her hair and makeup. She walked outside to see that Seungwan was out of the shower as the younger girl was drying out her hair.

 

In the mall, she didn't get to see herself in the dress properly because she was busy glaring at the female staff. She looked at herself in the mirror and was amazed that Seungwan managed to pick out such a good dress for her. It fit her at all the right spots, the colour contrasted well with her skin tone and it really highlighted her collarbones just like Seungwan wanted. It looked perfect on her.

 

She was in the living room waiting for Seungwan to come downstairs. She was giving instructions to the driver when Seungwan walked downstairs, distracted by her phone that she was trying to put in her purse.

 

Joohyun was rendered speechless when her gaze fell on Seungwan. She gulped as her eyes immediately fell on Seungwan's exposed milky legs before her eyes traveled to her exposed shoulders. The dress was meant to only expose Seungwan's shoulders but the latter supporting a bun exposed her neck too.

 

“It looks good,” Seungwan muttered as she scanned Joohyun's dress once again before she walked ahead of her.

 

“Beautiful,” She muttered as she followed Seungwan outside.

 

Arriving at the venue, she immediately spotted Seulgi and Sooyoung chatting. She was walking over to greet them but Seungwan beat her to it and lurched forward to hug Seulgi.

 

“Seulgi!” Seungwan exclaimed, pulling the latter for a hug. “You changed your hair.”

 

Joohyun blinked, stopping herself from rolling her eyes when she witnessed Seungwan's hands running through Seulgi's hair.

 

“I thought it was time for a change,” Seulgi said.

 

“It suits you,” Seungwan complimented before she stepped away to hug Sooyoung as well.

 

Joohyun gave both of them hugs as they led both of them to their seats.

 

“Did you come here on your own?” She asked Sooyoung, eyeing Seungwan who was busy catching up with Seulgi.

 

“I was planning to but Seulgi-ssi offered to pick me and I couldn't decline her generous offer,” Sooyoung replied, eyes examining Joohyun's body language.

 

“Oh my! Look at the newlyweds,” She looked to her side to Kim Taeyeon along with her business partner Choi Minho standing over their table.

 

She stood up and watched as Seungwan followed her. She greeted both of them and Seungwan did the same.

 

“It's a pleasure meeting these two beauties,” Minho exclaimed as he kept praising both of them.

 

“It's really commendable how you two aren't only a force to be reckoned with in the business world but also a power couple in the entire country,” Taeyeon praised.

 

“I can't wait to see you two on the dance floor,” Minho shared before they excused themselves and walked away.

 

Joohyun was bored. She despised these dinners. It was kind of an annual meeting with all the business powers in the city and she didn't want to waste her time making false connections on a Sunday when she could be relaxing.

 

“Instead of being jealous I think you should focus on aiding Seungwan unnie's needs right now,” Sooyoung whispered.

 

“Jealous and me,” She chuckled. “Why should I be looking out for her?” She asked.

 

“It's her first time attending such an event. She won't show but she's nervous,” Sooyoung pointed out.

 

Suddenly, it made sense why Seungwan kept following her and looked for her whenever someone approached them. She keeps using the inexperienced blow to look down on Seungwan but she actually forgot that the younger girl was still new to all this.

 

She nodded and brought her focus back to the event. Sometimes, she'll look toward Seungwan to make sure the girl isn't nervous.

 

“It's time to dance, newlyweds,” She stood up next to Seungwan to see Lalisa Manoban and her fiance Myoui Mina or LM Empire standing next to them.

 

“It has become a tradition at this point,” She muttered, sharing a giggle with Lisa.

 

“I'm afraid it's our turn next year, dear,” Mina chuckled as she slapped her fiancé's shoulder before they walked over in the middle.

 

“Yah—Son Seungwan! Do you even know how to dance?” She asked and the younger girl raised her brow feeling offended.

 

“Just watch me,” Seungwan rolled her eyes and brought her hands to her waist. Joohyun sighed and hesitantly put her hands on her shoulders.

 

Seungwan twirled her around, her hands guiding her body as she manoeuvred them through the rhythm of the music. 

 

“I didn't know you could dance,” She whispered as she fell into a comfortable rhythm.

 

“There are a lot of things you don't know about me,” Seungwan smirked.

 

It was true. She didn't know Son Seungwan as a person and as her wife. It brought the guilt back. After they were done she excused herself and walked to the restroom to get some time to catch her breath.

 

It was time to fix some things that she should've fixed long ago.

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

Seungwan walked upstairs after a staff member told her that Joohyun was enjoying the view from the balcony. She had a blazer draped over her shoulders protecting her from the cold. A spare one hanging from her arms that she kept for Joohyun.

 

“It is indeed nice up here,” She muttered as she walked over to one of the empty balconies where Joohyun was sitting and covered her with the blazer

 

“Thanks,” Joohyun muttered as she hugged the blazer to keep herself warm. “How did you know I was here?”

 

“I asked one of the staff members,” She replied and sat beside the latter with their shoulders brushing.

 

“Drink?” Joohyun asked, offering her a glass which she accepted and gulped down.

 

“Is something bothering you?” She asked Joohyun, spotting the troubled look on her face.

 

“If I asked you for a divorce—would you give it to me?” Joohyun asked.

 

Seungwan sighed as she looked down. Her breath hitched but she knew the answer.

 

“If that's what you want,” She replied, keeping her answer short. 

 

“What about you? Do you want it?” Joohyun asked as she faced her.

 

“I—I don't know,” She muttered. She hasn't thought about getting a divorce if she was being honest. “It just didn't come to mind.”

 

She poured herself another glass as she enjoyed the view in silence until she felt Joohyun's fingers brushing against her.

 

“I'm sorry,” Joohyun whispered, intertwining their fingers together. “I never got to tell you how my guilt has been eating me alive ever since you walked away from me that night. It made me realise that I haven't made life easiest for you and I know one apology wouldn't change the pain I have caused you but it is something I wanted to get off my chest.”

 

“Divorce,” Joohyun stopped as she thought for a moment. “If I were to think about it during the initial months of our marriage I would've said yes without any doubt but this past month it has become an uncertainty.”

 

“What are you trying to say Joohyun?” She whispered knowing where the conversation was probably heading.

 

“I want to give our marriage a chance, Seungwan. I know this may sound like a bad idea but I think I am willing to try. I'm only going to get older from now on, all my life I have been working, it's about time I settle down instead of looking for an adequate life partner in my thirties,” Joohyun confessed, her eyes exhibiting the honesty she had just shown to Seungwan.

 

“Why me?” Seungwan couldn't help but ask, the sudden proposition was too good to be true. She wondered for a moment if it was the alcohol in Joohyun's system talking. “I thought you hated me and didn't want your name to be associated with mine.”

 

“Hate...it's a strong word. I still haven't figured out myself why I disliked you but the more I think the more I figure out that it's less to do with you and more to do with me,” Joohyun admitted, loosening her hold on Seungwan's hand.

 

Seungwan blinked for a mere moment before she grasped Joohyun's hands tightly, eyes encouraging Joohyun to speak further. “I am willing to try to give us a chance because after seeing the bits and pieces of real you...I think we can make this work."

 

“If we don't,” She couldn't help but ask

 

“Then we'll see,” Joohyun replied.

 

Seungwan contemplated for a few moments before she looked up to meet Joohyun's hopeful eyes. She doesn't know where this could lead them but she was willing to try. “I guess there is no harm in giving us a chance.” 

 

She was immersed in her own thoughts that she didn't realise that Joohyun was leaning toward her. It only struck her when she felt soft lips nuzzling the skin of her cheeks. She could feel Joohyun's smile on her face.

 

Her heart was throbbing. It was doing all sorts of things. It was making her dizzy the way Joohyun's scent enveloped her. She watched in a daze as Joohyun pulled back and smiled, a genuine smile was resting on her lips and it was directed toward her.

 

“Thank you.”

 

Joohyun told her as they drank wine together, enjoying the view while Joohyun's head rested on her shoulder. She wouldn't tell but her eyes never left Joohyun, her wife looking beautiful as ever under the moonlight.

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

An hour later, they went back downstairs hand in hand as they met up with Seulgi and Sooyoung before leaving. 

 

“Seulgi you look flushed, are you sure you can drive?” Seungwan asked oblivious to Joohyun's staring.

 

“It's nothing,” Seulgi smiled as they hugged each other and parted ways.

 

 “I saw them on the balcony drinking together,” Sooyoung spoke once they had hit the road.

 

“Something changed between them,” Seulgi muttered. “They are acting differently.”

 

“I guess they are finally moving,” Sooyoung sighed and rested her head back on the seat.

 

“I hope they'll work things out because I saw so many eyes on them today just adoring the fact that they look so good with each other,” Seulgi mumbled proudly.

 

“Hmmm,” Sooyoung raised her brows, mind still engraved with a jealous Joohyun.

 

Sooyoung stood outside the entrance to her apartment building as she grabbed her things. Her eyes were fixed on the way Seulgi walked over to open the door. 

 

“I think—you should stay over,” Sooyoung offered, stopping Seulgi in her tracks. “It's not nice having you drive around while having alcohol in your system.”

 

“I don't wanna be a hassle,” Seulgi mumbled, scratching the back of her neck.

 

“You're not,” Sooyoung replied. “I need sleep. You need sleep. It doesn't matter if you get it by sleeping over at my place.”

 

“Okay.”

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

Seungwan was asleep beside Joohyun. Her hands were clutched tightly around the coat draped over her as her head was leaning against Joohyun's shoulder.

 

Joohyun was sober despite having a few glasses of wine along with Seungwan. She didn't know why she was being attentive toward Seungwan all of a sudden. It started with her purposely sitting next to her and offering her shoulder to sleep.

 

She didn't lie. She really wanted to give their marriage a chance. It'll take some effort and she's willing to exert that effort.

 

“Seungwan-ah,” She patted the younger girl's cheek softly to wake her up.

 

“Hmm,” Seungwan opened her eyes, taking a minute to get used to her surroundings.

 

“We're home,” She announced and got out of the car. Seungwan walked inside before her as she was busy getting everything locked up. 

 

Seungwan had already changed into much more comfortable clothes when she made her way upstairs. The latter was tired because instead of washing up she just washed her face.

 

“Go ahead,” Seungwan offered as she sat on the sofa and grabbed her phone, probably setting up an alarm for the next day.

 

She removed her makeup and washed her face. She grabbed onto the zipper, on the back of the dress, and pulled it down but it wouldn't come off.

 

“I guess all these zippers hate me,” She mumbled, letting out a few curses under her breath when she spotted Seungwan leaning against the door with her arms crossed.

 

“I agree,” Seungwan replied and walked inside as she stood behind Joohyun.

 

It suddenly reminded her of that night. It was just like this. She felt shivers running down her spine when Seungwan's fingers made contact with her skin as she pulled down the zipper revealing her .

 

But it was different because this time there was a playful smile resting on Seungwan's lips as she stepped closer and rugged on Joohyun's shoulders.

 

“It's a weird place to be nostalgic,” Seungwan whispered. “I guess we're gonna be spending a lot of time in here if you keep struggling with zippers,” Seungwan smiled as she walked outside and closed the bathroom door behind her.

 

That smile will be the death of her.

 

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

 

“You can sleep here too,” Joohyun mumbled, keeping her eyes on Seungwan who was already laying on the couch. “It's big enough to fit both of us.”

 

Seungwan chuckled as she turned around and faced her. “I know you're excited to have me sleeping next to you but you're gonna have to wait for it, baby.”

 

“Don't be too cocky. I asked because that couch is uncomfortable,” Joohyun rolled her eyes.

 

“Goodnight Joohyun-ah,” Seungwan mumbled as she closed her eyes.

 

“Goodnight Seungwan-ah,” Joohyun muttered, thankful for the fact that Seungwan had her eyes closed so she couldn't see the smile resting on her face.

 

“Was giving us a chance my fifth mistake?”