The Rival

Playing With Fire


"Oh, look who's here, the great Captain Bang, late as ever."

That was Kim Woojin, captain of Engine 1, the leading team. Well, Engine 1's house is the nearest of District 9, it's just right that they'll be the first team to arrive..but whatever, Chan doesn't care.

"We can handle it already, Chris, so please tell your team to stand back. I don't want you to get hurt." There's that smirk on his face that he's familiar with.

"Don't call me that." Chan scoffed.

"Oww, let me guess? I lost the priviledge?"

"Shut up."

"Make me."

Chan has to control his temper. Why did he get angry easily these days since.... that happened.

"You can't anymore, right?" The smirk is there again.

You see, Bang Chan and Kim Woojin used to be friends. Humor has it that they were once lovers though there were no proof at that because all they did  when they saw each other was getting the other annoyed while the other was just laughing. Most of the times, it was Chan who will burst into anger first then Woojin was laughing in victory.

So to avoid bursting into anger again, he turned to look at his crew, who were a bit worried at the exchange already.

"Alright guys, let's stand back." Chan said with clenched fists on his sides. His team huffed in annoyance but they knew it was always like this since they've been dubbed as "losers."

Changbin looked up to the flaming building in front of them, which Engine 1's team been slowly putting out the fire already, and he caught a sight of a crying child on the rooftop, behind the child was a growing flame.

"Hey, Capt. Rooftop!"

Chan and the others turned to look up to the rooftop and there they saw a crying little girl, her hands were tightly wrapped around a stuff toy, and the flames were dangerously close to the kid.

"Minho! Get me the ladder!"

Minho quickly got into the driver's seat and maneuvered to adjust the ladder higher after Chan had hopped on it. It's not high enough to get the rooftop's level but it was enough for Chan to see the kid. He can hear her little cries, she helplessly calls for her mom over and over.

Chan had to lean his torso over the last step of the ladder and stretched his arms out to the kid.

"Hey there, baby girl. Look at me, sweety, it's okay."

The kid stopped crying for a moment and looked at Chan with her teary and wide eyes, while Chan can feel how hot the flames was onto his face but didn't mind it. He needed to save the kid first.

"What's your name, sweety?"

"Y-Yuna."

"Hi, Yuna. I'm Chan and I'm going to get you out of there. It's gonna be fine." Well, almost not fine at all. Chan could feel his sweats dripping all over his face, his torso was stinging alrealy due to the almost sharp edge of the metal ladder. His feet hurt from bracing too much on the angle side to the step he's on.

"I need you to stand on the edge, baby. Don't look down, just look at me."

And it's good that the kid's listening to him, she was gripping her teddy bear still and bravely walking towards the edge of the rooftop, to where Chan was waiting for her. Chan's team gasped when they seemed to get what Chan is about to do. Minho just quickly called for his other members to get the safety net.

Hyunjin and Jisung were quick to spread the jumping sheet below Chan's location.

"Good girl, now you have to jump to me, baby. I promise I will catch you." Chan really hoped for this to go well, he panicked when Yuna's eyes were slightly looking down below.

"No, no, sweety, look at me." Which she did, eyes wide as she looked at Chan. "That's right, just look at me only." Yuna's crying again and started to mumble for her mommy. Then there's an explosion behind her, it made her cry out loud.

"I'm sure your mom's fine now, baby, but she must be worried sick about you." Yuna's pleading eyes were on him again.

"Jump, Yuna. I promise, I'll catch you." He stretched his arms more just to coax the kid to trust him. There's a collective gasps from down below when Yuna jumped into the air, into Chan's waiting arms and when Chan got him, there's another collective sighs ringing from down below.

"I got you, sweety. You're a very brave girl." Chan whispered as he tightly wrapped his arms around Yuna's shivering body.

Woojin was holding his breath with what the scenes unfold when he looked up. He could see how Chan was dangerously close from falling. He has no leverage except of his feet that's been tucked in the corner of the ladder.

The ladder shifted a little due to the movement made earlier when Yuna jumped onto Chan, Woojin cursed at nothing, he almost yell at Chan. But he can see that despite losing their balance, Chan still had the girl clutched onto him, one hand securely wrapped around the girl's body while the other was gripping the side of the ladder.

Woojin saw Chan's handsome face was scrunching probably from the pain on his left hand, he's a liar if the scene don't bother him, he was worried at the both of them hanging on the ladder like that.

Then there's a shout from Chan's team.

"Cap, you'll hurt your arm! Just let go!"

So that's what Chan did, he let go and hugged the kid tightly, they bounced on the saftey net for a few times before Hyunjin and Jisung rushed to them and nursed the kid with oxygen mask.

"Wow, that was amazing, Capt! Are you sure you're not an action star?" Jisung yelled, despite all the happenings, he still has the biggest grin onto his face.

"Jisung, this is not the time!" Hyunjin said, facing the excited boy.


The fire has been put out by Woojin's crew, the kid's mother found Yuna and profusely thanking Chan and his team for saving her girl. She even insisted to pay for the medication of Chan's arm.

"Hey...you were amazing up there. How was your arm?" Woojin came beside Chan shortly after everything has taken cared of.

Chan smirked, "what, were you the one insulting me and my team earlier?" He raised an eyebrow to the other's furrowed ones, but he has a warm smile on the corner of his lips.

"Chan.." Woojin was close to whining as he playfully glared at him, there's seriousness in his voice, so Chan cleared his throat.

"I'm fine and it's just a broken arm..probably. You'll still see me in the future and can annoy me for sure." Chan said smugly.

"Well, I'm glad because I'll miss you. I have no one to annoy."

Chan rolled his eyes and chuckled, Woojin just stared at him, he missed the guy. That's for sure.

"What?" 

But Woojin continued to smile and stare at him so he did the same. A few seconds later, probably, a couple minutes later, they heard someone clearing their throat. The two broke away from each other's eyes and saw their respective teammates around them, some were grinning knowingly at them.

"So, uhm, I hate to be the person to break whatever this up but...Cap, we need to go." It was Seungmin from Woojin's team, seemed to be unbothered or he simply just didn't care about that certain tension between the captains, he just wanted to get out of here.

Minho on the other side has to chuckle at the boy, he's cute like a puppy, though he's a cat person, he wouldn't mind taking this particular puppy home. He just found him unaffected at all and it amused him, the bored look on his face made Minho smile like a fool.

"Hey, you're cute. I think we can work together by annoying our captains." Seungmin blinked his eyes slowly then huffed at him even though he's sure there's a warm pink hue tinted on his cheeks. Minho grinned even more at that, so satisfied at the reaction he got from the other.

"Shut up."

"Oh, feisty. I love it."

Before another argument will ensue though, the captains have to break them up this time.

"Minho, that's enough." They all hurriedly go back to their respective truck but not after Woojin telling Chan to get well and to go visit a hospital.

Jisung whistled like a maniac at that little exchange, "Cap, I'll tell Felix that one of these days, he will have another father."

"Do that and I'll break all of your headphones."

When Jisung pouted, everyone else was laughing.

"When will you learn to shut that mouth of yours, Han?" Hyunjin said, laughing at the cute pout on the younger's lips.

"Maybe if you'll make me." Jisung smirked, Hyunjin stiffened and just rolled his eyes, as if he's disgusted by the flirty move but in reality, his heart's been pounding like crazy.


"But what was that earlier, Cap? I thought you're rivals? What we saw was something a married couple would do." Minho commented, already starting the engine as he eyed Chan beside him.

"Shut it, Minho." Chan dismissed him, there's a small smile onto his lips but just covered it with a clearing of his throat.

"Let's go to a hospital, please! I don't need Felix to be whining about this." Knowing his son will gonna freak out over a broken arm, so at least he'll have it badge up before facing him.

"Aye, Captain."


When they arrived at their house, Hyunjin was grinning beside Minho who just raised his eyebrow to the younger, "what's wrong with you?"

"How did you know married couple stuff? You got to have an experience for you to say such a thing."

"I know your secret, Hwang. You're on ing thin ice." Minho barked a threat which shut Hyunjin up immediately. Jisung cackled at the event unfold in front of him.

"But if I'll get married soon, I want it to be with someone on the rival's team." Yes, Minho thinks positive things like that and he has so much confidence in his sleeves so sue him. He smirked as he has someone that looked like a cute puppy in his mind.

Changbin snorted at the safe distance while Chan sighed, he will gonna miss his team for sure.