Captain Bang and his Son

Playing With Fire

"Felix!"

Felix winced, he didn't need to turn around to know who's calling him. He gripped his skateboard hard in his left hand as he heard the vehicle stop just beside him. When he turned around, he saw a grinning Minho on the driver's seat, while in the passenger seat was the guy he was fond of from his Dad's department, Changbin, who looked handsome at the small sorry smile he's sporting.

"You're suppose to be in class, Felix. What are you doing here, bud?" Said Minho, the grin on his face didn't fade, it only started to get wider.

"Hi, hyungs." Felix finally said after he released a breath, eyes crinkling into slits as he gave them his best smile hoping to let him go this time.

Felix hated Fridays because all of his subject teachers decided to give him nightmares in a form of long quizzes, so he would ditch all his classes every Friday. There's already lots of times that he got caught by the hyungs and his father wasn't happy about it.

"Where are you going, Lix?" Changbin spoke this time but unlike Minho's grin, Changbin has a warm smile on his lips.

"Uh, holiday..no class. Yeah." Felix stuttered a reply which was not convincing at all.

"Holiday huh.." Minho paused to clicked his tongue in disbelief, "what will your father feel this time?" Minho added.

Felix winced again at the mention of his father. Changbin nudged Minho on the side as if saying not to be harshed on the boy.

Minho just smirked at him, "you're whipped." In which Changbin released a quiet shut up to the older. Minho's about to retort back but his phone was ringing, he pulled the device out of his pocket.

"Oh, lookie! It's your Dad." Minho announced smugly.

Felix just sighed, shoulders slumped in defeat, Changbin on the other hand just mouthed sorry at him.

"Yeah, Cap, we're heading there and.." he paused to look at Felix.

"We're bringing Felix with us, we found him wondering around the street."

Chan on the other side of the line was surprised to hear his son's name. He furrowed his brows as he checked the time on his watch. The class is not over yet at this hour

"Felix? What is he doing there?" Minho could hear a sigh from the man on the other line.

"Well, ask him later. We will bring him home now." It's Minho's final words before the call ended. Changbin was already helping Felix into the back of the truck.


When Felix got off of the truck, he saw another hyung, Jisung, whose ears were covered with his headphones, shaking and wiggling his as he bobbed his head while cleaning the metal door of the engine house. Jisung stopped moving all at once when he saw Felix with Minho and Changbin, grinning at the boy.

"Felix! What are you doing here?" He shouted over the loud music in his ear, the person beside him flinched at how loud he was.

"Hey, ! Maybe get the damn headphones away from your ears first before you open your mouth!" Hyunjin ripped the headphones off of Jisung's ears.

"Hey! Oh-" Jisung came to realize what had just happened and just grinned at Hyunjin. The latter just rolled his eyes and turned to look at the newcomers and smiled at Felix.

"Hey, Lix, another class ditching?"

Felix grinned and then frowned after remembering his Dad.

Jisung gasped, "damn, Lix! If you continue doing that, one of these days your father's hair will all turn gray."

"Shut up, Han. You're not helping." Changbin said, standing beside the distressed Felix, "go inside, Lix." He then whispered to the boy.

Hyunjin has to snort at that, what he just witnessed was a rare sight of Changbin being a softie, and he's just soft only if the captain's son was involved.

"Whipped." Hyunjin muttered when Felix had gone inside the house. The glare Changbin sent to Hyunjin's direction made Minho chuckle. It's not a secret of the team anymore that Changbin fancied their Captain's son.


Inside the house where Felix is tiptoeing to reach the Captain's office, a sighing single Dad is standing beside his chair, waiting for the said son. He sighed again when he heard a soft knock on the door, he turned around to face the door, putting his hands on his hips.

Felix lowered his head down when he entered his Dad's office and winced upon seeing his Dad's form, he always knew everything, it's just that Felix was a stubborn one.

"H-hey, Dad..."

"Don't hey, Dad me, you know better than that, Felix. I'm very disappointed of you again. You can't just skip Fridays like this because of the damn quizzes! That's why you need to study instead of playing games all night, so you can answer the quizzes. That's how you pass and graduate, Felix." Chan started.

Felix blinked away the tears that's been forming in his eyes.

"This job of mine is not permanent, son. And education is what I can offer you best so that you will have a bright future and you can live your life better than me." Chan sighed. Felix can see how tired his father was, he felt guilty but he can't help it when he hated school. He chose to not answer his father, not wanting him to get angry even more, he wouldn't listen to him anyway. He just silently hoped he can be better.

"Yes, you can. Study! Go to school properly!" His Dad's usual words echoed into his mind.

Bang Chan is the captain of Engine 9, one of the teams of the fire department in Seoul. They were once the best team, the top ranked team in the entire department, until that night, something happened. Bang Chan had lost someone he dearly loved, had then lost interest and motivation dragging his team along with him. And the once best team had become the losers in the department. They have been nicknamed as useless in the department and that they needed to pack up their bags and be gone.

"Sorry, Dad...I-" he didn't finish his sentence when the alarm was blaring so loud around the house. He can hear shuffling around and yelling outside.

"Building on fire at District 9! Come on guys, let's move!" They can hear Minho yell from outside. Felix looked at his Dad.

"Dad, can I co-"

"No. Stay here." Chan said sternly.

Felix wanted to become a fireman like his Dad, like his Uncle that he missed so much, like his Changbin hyung and the other hyungs, he just wanted some exploration on the real deal but all his father would say is study, study, study.

Chan turned to look at his son one more time, "and please, do not disappoint me again." With that, Chan gets out of the door.