Coincidence

Playing With Fire

They just arrived in District 3, Felix is sitting together with his Dad in the passenger seat.

"Dad! It's a restaurant!"

Chan swallows a sudden lump into his throat, this couldn't be, right?

"All right, guys, let's go!" Minho hollers at everyone after parking their vehicle in the safe distance from the building that's on fire.

"Felix, baby, you stay here, okay?"

Felix is about to retort back but Chan fixes him with a firm look but there's a small smile onto his lips, "in case of some stray debris flying around."

Felix pouts, "yeah, fine."

"Felix."

"Yes, yes, Dad. I understand."

"Very good." Chan ruffles his hair softly.

"Take care, Daddy!" Felix yells as he lets his upper body lean over the vehicle's door. Chan waves his hand towards Felix before wearing his helmet.

And as usual, Engine 1's crew is already there putting out the fire, their captain's eyes find Chan's for a second, the latter thought he saw the former smile at him but it could have been his imagination.

Chan shakes his head as if to clear his mind, he just goes to the side of the building where the fire's still eating up its wall.

"Hyunjin, where's Minho?" Hyunjin smiles letting Chan help him pull the firehose, its nozzle is on the younger's shoulder.

"I think I saw him approach Seungmin and helped him with something."

"Huh. Already helping each other huh?"

"Yeah, that's why you need to step up your game too with Captain Woo- right, sorry." But he's not sorry at all, he grins at the sudden glare sent to him by the captain.

"Where's your boyfriend? This side here needs attention." Chan says nonchalantly as if he's not teasing the other, he then simply tilts his head to the side of the building that he was talking about.

Hyunjin blinks, "my what?"

But Chan doesn't say anything else, he just looks at him in the eyes.

"Jisung's not my boyfriend." Yet, he almost supplies.

"I didn't say Jisung though."

"I- ah, Capt! You got me there."

Then Chan laughs at him, "I'm just messing with you. I'll go get Jisung, you start clearing this area off, okay?"

"Aye, Captain!"


There are lots of causes why this restaurant's on fire today, maybe a pipe leak or gas leak? So Chan doesn't let his thoughts consume him. He slightly flinches when there's a hand softly tapping on his shoulder. He is rounding off the building's area and eventually he gets inside, the fire's slowly been putting out by all the teams present today.

"You're jumpy today, something wrong?" Woojin has emerged out of nowhere or Chan was just surprised that the other captain found him wandering around the area.

Chan collects himself and gives the other a friendly scoff, "that's new, Kim. You didn't insult me this time."

Woojin doesn't answer, he too wanders his eyes around the building, the once tables and chairs were now ashes on the ground, but some metal wallings still keep the skeleton of the building together.

"There could be debris falling, Chan, and the fact that you bring Felix with you— I saw him getting worried when you started entering here."

Chan smirks at that, of course he knew that, "is it Felix who got worried or you—?"

"Ah, whatever-" Woojin has that furrowed on his brows when he's mad, he's cute and Chan kinda misses that look on the other.

"I'm just messing with you. Seriously though, I never thought you'd come here and get worried over me, I was so used to your insults." Chan cannot hold back but said it, it was the truth, though,  that's no one else's fault than himself. He made Woojin like that.

He could see the hurt in Woojin's eyes but he brushes it off, he could be seeing things. He's stressed and all that, he must have been seeing things, right? And now the silence between them is awkward as hell.

"Uh-," Chan starts and pauses to clear his throat, "this is weird— I mean not the— t-the fire incident today is weird."

Woojin didn't want to change the topic, he wanted to continue talking to Chan about this tension between them, he wanted it to stop but Chan today seemed very serious and he seemed to have something in his mind.

"Why do you think it's weird?"

"Will you believe me if I kinda predicted this particular incident happened at this particular district and building today?"

Chan looked so serious that Woojin cannot say No.

"All these fire incidents seemed wrong and so sudden— don't you think it's fishy?"

Woojin smiles a little, the Chan he knew is here in front of him, the serious Chan who is so dedicated with his work. It's not like Woojin's not dedicated to his job at all, he is and he too believes Chan that something is wrong about these fire incidents happening in their place. But the older didn't question it anymore, not that he didn't care but he just gone with it and did his job. And even if Chan was correct, he doubted the upper ups would listen to their concern.

"Of course, you didn't think that way..." Chan sighs, the lack of response from the other makes him slightly mad because of all people even if the other has always insulted him and his crew at any chance he got, but he's also the one who once always believed in Chan. But guess, it's different now, at least he tried.

But Kim Woojin is just distracted by the way Chan looked today, the way his eyes glimmed in all seriousness when he talked about his job, it's not because he's not listening or doesn't care about Chan's concern.

"I believe you, Chan. In fact, Seungmin's been bugging me about that. You and Seungmin thought the same."

Chan is taken aback at that, "really? But how about you?"

"I don't know, Chan, it's not that I didn't care— I just tend to stay put and just do our job, no questions. And it's not like the upper ups would listen to any of us anyway."

Chan sighs, "yeah, you're right."

"Then how did you know this was the next target?"

"I have been monitoring and recording all the fire incidents since my- my brother died. I think there's a sequence and I always checked around the areas after the fire, I found these-" Chan is being cut off by Minho's voice.

"What are you two talking about? That look serious." Minho looks the two captains as if he's scanning them for some hidden weapons behind their clothes.

"Nothing. He's just lecturing me about how passionate we are of being so late always." Chan sighs but Woojin is the one's being taken aback this time. He can't believe he just been thrown under the bus like that but maybe he deserved that.

"I didn't-" Woojin said nothing else and just groaned. He walked out there, his thoughts were jumbled and Chan was just...Chan, dedicated and all. He yearned for a serious talk with the man but guess it ain't always a good time for that to happen.


"Daaaaaad! Fire at District 4!" Felix hollered at his Dad and to his crew who already walked towards the firetruck anyway. Felix mutes the radio on the dashboard after hearing the announcement of another fire incident.

After hearing his son, Chan finds Woojin's eyes, the other mouths something like sequence and Chan is confused. Just earlier he had it figured out, there's a sequence, it's never two fire incidents in one day and it's never happened in the district next to the other.

Chan didn't know anymore, maybe it's all a coincidence after all.