Moment of Truth

Playing With Fire

Just halfway of their dinner, the siren is blaring around the house and everyone abandoned their food to proceed on doing their job.

"District 5. Let's go, guys!" Minho shouted from where he already stood in front of the monitor as he wore his uniform.

"Baby, lock the door when we leave." Chan said, already in his uniform, kissing his son's forehead and then they're gone.


They've arrived at District 5 just as Engine 1 has arrived in the area as well. It's an old restaurant this time. Chan got out of their truck, grinning when he saw Woojin.

"We're just on time now huh." Chan stated, still grinning at his approaching boyfriend.

"Hello to you too, babe." Woojin smiled warmly, it somehow warmed Chan's heart as well. Woojin immediately wrapped his arms around his shoulders, pressing their foreheads together for a peck. Other firetrucks were now scattered around the area.

"Let's get this over with." Woojin murmured, pulling away from the other.

"Hey, be careful, okay?" Chan reminded him.

Woojin smiled, "you too."


All the teams were working back to back in putting out the fire. Some teams have pull out their ladder and started putting out fire anywhere they can reach above the building. There were others who did the same on the outer walls. Someone had then called the cops and notified the owner, until everything was taken cared of.

 


"You really looked hot like that, babe. Face all fierce and serious when you concentrated on what you do." Minho commented while leaning against their truck, watching his boyfriend rolled the hose back into their own truck.

Seungmin may have blushed at that immediately yet he's quick to think of ways to get back at his boyfriend, like teasing back. He clicked his tongue sounded unbothered as if Minho's comment didn't made him blush already.

"Shut it." He just said without looking at the older.

"That's not what you said last night." There's a hint of mischievousness in the older's voice and he didn't need to look up to witness Minho's smirk. Seungmin flushed even more at the reminder of their escapades last night, then he finally gave in to Minho's want by looking at him and glaring at him as well. Minho just laughed at him in return but it was cut short when there were some collective gasps and murmurs around them, something like another fire incident.

Minho and Seungmin looked at each other before they jumped into their respective truck, Minho has a worried Chan already in the passenger seat.

"Where to?" Minho asked tentatively as he settled down in the driver's seat, waking up the engine to life.

"Let's hurry, please! It's our engine house!" Then there's a synchronized gasps heard from their teammates.

"Felix!" Chan and Changbin shouted at the same time at the realization of the kid alone in their house.

 

Felix furrowed his brows when he felt someone's presence upstairs. He put away the last glass that he had dried with a cloth and slowly  walked towards the staircase. He knew that there must be someone walking upstairs because their house was already old, the floor would make rickety noises when being stepped on. He swallowed hard when he had reached up to the top of the stairs. His heart was racing after seeing a man's back wearing a brown jacket, a very familiar jacket, Felix felt like he saw this certain jacket too many times already. The man was standing in front of the pipeline just in the corner of their not so wide hallway. Even if the man's back is facing Felix, he could still see, although not clearly but enough to tell what he's doing, that the man's pulling off one of his gloves. He seemed to put it inside the pipeline along with whatever he had put into it at first, the pipeline has a small cut and Felix has no idea of how the man did that.

Felix's breathing is ragged this time, he's frozen on his spot, he didn't know what to do. The man kinda looked familiar from the look of his back. He was silently asking himself, is he gonna blow our house up? In that moment as well, something sparked in that crack of the pipeline. The pipeline held all the wirings of the house from the lights and plugs used both downstairs and upstairs.

Then something hit Felix, he remembered the pictures in those folders from his Dad's office along with his theory map. One of the pictures there was an image of a single glove that lost its pair. His Dad strongly believed that most of the fire incidents happened in some districts were questionable and seemed planned out well.

Chan managed to fine something in the area that's always near a pipeline, it was an easy target to create fire without using much devices. Chan found a glove  in District 10, a lighter in District 4, a plastic bottle container of a flammable liquid in District 12, and a cigarette in District 2, where Yongguk died. It was like telling him that there was someone making the fire first before it blew up the whole area on target.

Felix gasped when the man turned around to maybe leave the area- and it even made Felix gasp more in surprise when the man in question was none other than Mr. Park. He was also surprised after seeing Felix standing just two meters away from him.

"Felix, what are you-" Mr. Park strode fast towards the kid, the fire seemed to grow more, melting down the pipe and the electricity was out.

Felix was too angry to care or to notice what's happening around him, he only was focused on the man, Mr. Park, walking towards him and reaching over for him. He began to step back, he could feel his heart raging in anger as he remembered his Uncle Yongguk. He then released a pitiful sob, everything seemed to make sense now. His Dad was right.

"Felix, snap out of it, lets-"

"Did you make the fire that killed Uncle Bang too?" Felix felt so hot all over, probably from the flames eating up the walls around him, and also from how angry he was towards this man that his eyes almost hurt from glaring so much at him.

"What are you saying?" But it's obvious from how surprised he was of the accusatory question, even his voice cracked.

"Why?! I trusted you. My Dad trusts you. He is your friend! Uncle Bang was your friend too!"

Something's blowing up, it wasn't that loud but it still caused some debris to fall.

"Look, kid. I don't know what you're talking about." He started coughing but still recovered for a bit.

"My Dad is right and you're responsible for all of those fire incidents." Felix growled but it was not loud enough for Mr. Park to hear them. Scorching noises filling in their senses, that made Felix to finally snap out of his raging self.

It was also what Yongguk had felt at that time. He was surrounded by flaming walls, cornered with nowhere else to go, scorching noises echoing around, there were falling debris then something blew up, there's no one he can call to, it was the end of him.

It was midnight, Captain Yongguk found something odd on the monitor, something felt wrong. It signalled an incoming fire alert yet there was no fire reported so firemen could go and put it out. All of the members of his house were already sound asleep so he decided to check it himself. Before he went outside the house, he made sure his brother and his nephew were asleep. A confused Yongguk found nothing in the area when he arrived there, except that he smelt something burning, but maybe it was  just in the air. But then again, as a captain, he has this special intuition that sensed danger. He tried to follow the hollow smell of flame and smoke and led him into an old restaurant, it's only opened during the day and afternoon. And everything happened in a blink of his eye, he felt cornered and the building blew up.

"Felix! Come on, kid. Let's get out of here!" Mr. Park snapped at Felix in time with a loud explosion from below. Smoke has started to fill in his lungs that he started to cough as well. Mr. Park tried to grab Felix's arm but was still quick enough to hiss at the older.

"D-Don't touch me!" He then coughed rapidly as more smoke fills into his lungs.

"Don't be so stubborn, this place will gonna blow up!" Mr. Park has his hand totally covered his nose and mouth as he talked..

"And it's your fault! We trusted-" He was cut off by the big debris falling and landed in between them, both of them took a few steps back from the flaming debris. Felix was still near the staircase yet for him it looked scrotch enough. He felt cornered.

On the other side, Mr. Park had managed to slide his way down using the pole near him, there's not so much flames at that area and there was no way he can still save Felix. He ran and saved himself towards the main door but it was already jammed.

 


When Minho stomped the brake, Changbin was the first one to jump out of their truck.

"Felix!"

They heard rapid coughing upstairs and a weak attempt of calling his Dad.

"Baby, please, hold on a bit, okay? Daddy's here, you hear me?" Chan said hurriedly right after he jumped out of the truck with an ax, then another coughing fit could be heard.

Another firetrucks pulled to a stop near Engine 9's, and in an instant the firemen started to pull out hoses and put out fire as much as they can in all directions.

"Minnie bring Innie, put out the fire on the main door." Woojin's loud voice echoes around as he already pulled the hose from their truck.

"Gun-il," Woojin called his other member and their designated driver, "pull out the ladder." He then turned to look for other engine  house captains and spotted one.

"Captain Tae! We need to put out the fire upstairs, Chan's kid is still up there." The other captain nodded his head and started giving orders with his other men who still has free hands.

After the main door was free from the flames, Chan used his ax to bang at the door until eventually it fell off. They're all surprised to see Mr. Park there who's strugging to breathe and is coughing and panting hard, clutching his chest.

"Mr. Park? What are you doing here?" Chan asks, brows furrowing.

"I came earlier but you're not here and- I tried, I tried to get Felix but- I'm sorry, Chan." Chan clenched his jaw, he has a bad feeling of having this man here at this moment. He turned and said to Jisung, "get him an oxygen mask." He pauses before continuing in a low voice, "don't let him go away."

 

As the moment the door opened, Changbin dashed his way further inside and towards the staircase, manages to jump his way upstairs using what's left of the stairs. The fire was slowly been put out, yet there's still smoke around and started to fill in Changbin's lungs, some blur his sight. He uses his hand to fan the smoke out of his face.

"Felix?!" He stops when he sees the kid, lying there on the hallway, almost unconscious. He's trapped by all the debris around him.

Changbin immediately got to Felix's side and inspected him. Changbin released a sigh of relief after knowing that Felix was still breathing.

"Wake up, Lix! It's hyung." Changbin then inspected Felix's body as if checking if he has still his limbs complete. He kicked the debris near the younger's foot and quickly swooped him into his arms. It's still so warm around them, and without thinking twice, carried the younger  downstairs with careful steps on the already burnt out stairs.

"C-Changbin hyung..." Felix called him weakly.

"Yes, it's me, Lix. You're safe."

The moment Changbin safely took Felix down and out of the house, Hyunjin has an oxygen mask ready for the kid and attached it on their captain's son's face.

"Hey, kid. Thank God, you're okay." Hyunjin grinned as he ruffled Felix's hair. Chan then immediately ran towards Changbin who's still carrying his son.

"Baby! Felix? Can you hear me?" Chan tried so hard not to cry on that spot as he cupped Felix's face with his hands. Chan already told Minho to call for the police and their department's medic team. Chan breathed out a sigh of relief when Felix's eyes fluttered open. Changbin sat on the ground and placed the kid on the ground as well, letting him lean his back against the older's chest, in that way, Chan can comfortably see his son's face.

"Thank you, Bin." Chan looked at the other sincerely.

"Ah, stop that, Cap. It was nothing." Changbin chuckled lowly.

"Dad?" Felix called after pulling the mask off his face.

Chan once again cupped his son's face and quickly kissed his forehead, "you're okay."

"Dad, I think you're right about the fire incidents. I saw him set up the fire using the pipeline upstairs." Chan didn't show any reaction but Felix and Changbin could see how his jaw clenched hard.

"Stay with him for a moment, Bin." Chan said, dropping a kiss onto Felix's forehead once again and murmuring a everything will be okay, bub. And before Changbin could even answer, Chan stood up and walked towards the man being tended by Jisung on the other side.


"Is it true?!" Chan immediately growled at Mr. Park as he walked nearer to him, he's like a predator ready to pounce at his prey. With Chan so mad like this, no one was ever brave enough to dare near him. Jisung even left Mr. Park's side immediately but not far enough from them, in case something else was going to happen.

"C-Chan, calm down!" Mr. Park stood up from the lone chair that Jisung had managed to find earlier.

"Is. It. True?!"

Mr. Park sighed, "it was an accident, Chan. He was not supposed to be there. It's not my fault that he's wandering in that area at that time." Chan felt like blacking out from anger. Jisung for once had enough, he didn't really like the man ever in the first place, so he took a long stride forward- once, twice, then punched Mr. Park on the face. It felt so good after seeing the man laid on the ground unconscious. Yongguk was his family too. But he never expected that the old man has a hard face, his knuckles screamed hurt.

Everyone present there seemed at awe from what Jisung did than them hearing out the truth from Mr. Park, while Jisung just worried over his hurting knuckles, "that old psychopath had a face of a block. That was ing hurt." He then pouted at his hand. A sound of an ambulance and police cars sirens pulled everyone out of their mini shock from Jisung's outburst.

Hyunjin chuckled at the still pouting Jisung, "well, we don't have ice at the moment so I'll just have to kiss it better then." Hyunjin then brought the specific hand near his own mouth and planted kisses on the younger's red knuckles.

Hyunjin softly caressed his boyfriend's knuckles with his thumb as he looked at the younger in the eyes after hearing him giggle, "better?" Jisung nodded his head while still giggling.

"That was so hot, babe. You did a good job. That reminds me of not to piss you off in the future." There's another set of giggles that Jisung was freely letting out and it was enough to melt Hyunjin's heart.

 

Woojin stood beside the sighing Chan who's looking at their once engine house. The devices they've got inside were all kind of old anyways, but he's still sad. It was their home. He sighed one more time after acknowledging his boyfriend's presence beside him.

"What a night. I almost lost Felix." Chan weakly muttered, pausing to release another long sigh, "What if he died in there, Wooj? What will happen?"

"That's not gonna happen because he has an amazing Dad and hyungs that love him. You didn't lose him, he's fine over there." Woojin said calmly, nudging his head towards the direction of Felix.

Chan remembered the time he has lost his brother, it was painful. But the pain doubled up hearing about their house burning with his son in it. But right now, as what Woojin said, he was right. He didn't lose his son because he was over there.

"Yeah." Chan agreed as he turned to look at his son, now smiling widely while hugging his skateboard which seemed to look fine, he smiled when he heard his son laughing at something Changbin told him- probably a good joke.

Chan heaved out another sigh but this time it's a relieve one, facing Woojin, "I almost lost you too." He cupped the older's face with his hands, caressing his thumbs over Woojin's cheeks.

"I'm right here, you saved me, remember?" Woojin said back, covering Chan's hands with his and leaned in to capture the younger's awaiting lips. Everything that happened tonight was taking a toll on Chan and he needed time to rest and to take in everything but it seemed like a kiss from his lover was just perfect and enough to ground him. It was a sign that everything will be okay and that his favorite people were safe and were still with him.

Their sweet kiss was interrupted by someone (read: Minho) clearing their throat. The couple expected this to happen, so they just laughed softly after pulling away from their lips.

"I'm sorry, Cap, but where do we sleep now?" Seungmin who was just beside Minho has to smack his boyfriend's arm hard enough for the smirk on his lips to disappear.

"Ouch, babe!" Minho even pouted at his younger boyfriend.

"Sorry about that, you two can continue what you're- uh, doing..." Seungmin releases an awkward laugh before bowing as well as pulling his own boyfriend to bow at the captains before them. Then Seungmin dragged a pouting Minho away from the couple.

"Ah, I can't believe that they're together. They seem compatible, no?" Chan said absentmindedly but a smile was present on his lips while still eyeing the younger couple. Chan may seem always busy but he cared for his team. He noticed how happy Minho these days, since he came back from that date with Seungmin, he seemed to be smiling a lot and even livelier.

"You know, Seungmin barely smiles but after being saved by Minho, he seems to do it a lot and goes all blushy when Minho's present or when somebody will bring up Minho's name in the conversation." Woojin shared, also so happy for his team member.

"They're in love." Chan said and flinched for a second that Woojin noticed right away.

"How about us? Are we in love?" Woojin smiled at the pink hue that's already tinting on Chan's cheeks.

"We are. I thought we're done discussing about that." Chan scratched the back of his neck, not meeting Woojin's eyes. Of course, Woojin knew that, he just wanted to get a reaction out of his boyfriend, especially the flush on his cheeks, Woojin loves that so much. The conversation about them always made Chan blush, it's cute.

"I was just messing with you. Come here." Woojin said and without any preamble, he clashed their lips together for a sweet kiss.

"But Minho was right though." Chan said with spit slicked lips when they pulled away from each other's faces.

"About what?" Woojin momentarily furrowed his brows as he wiped the younger's lips free from the spit using the sleeve of his uniform.

"Where do we sleep now?" Chan blinked his eyes at the older, he's not really that worried about it but still made him think, where will they sleep  now?

"Dork. You just saved the entire department from the future troubles, you think the upper ups would forget about you and your team?" Woojin gently tapped his boyfriend's cheeks with his palms as if reminding him the entire radio conversation they had with the upper ups earlier. The police asked them a few questions in connection with Mr. Park earlier and they notified the department heads about it.

"Well..." Chan shrugged, prolonging the word. Woojin stopped him from worrying further more by pecking his lips.

"Stop worrying. For the mean time, you all can stay with us." Woojin said loud enough for Chan's team to hear.

In the corner, Minho was heard shouting, "I call dibs on Seungminnie's bed!"