Partners

Chasing Pavements

Sometimes you feel like someone up there is playing games with you. Like someone up there wants you to keep meeting a certain person you want to avoid all the time, and there's nothing you can do but to go with it.


Taeyeon couldn't do anything but to scratch her head in frustration and let deep sighs. She just found out that she's with another class with Jessica and Yuri and the bad news is, Tiffany is also in the same class. And as if this is the unluckiest day of her life, their professor is her god father, Park Taena. 


She calls him uncle. He and Taeyeon's like buddies despite the big age difference. They share secrets with each other. He also knows what is the situation of Taeyeon and her family. He was the one who gives her advice whenever Taeyeon need it.


And that's what Taeyeon's problem. He knows her past with Tiffany. She just hope he won't do any stupid things.


-----


It's free period. Taeyeon and the gang are on their way to a mini park inside the university to kill time. They didn't notice that Tiffany, Nana and Victoria are behind them, only 10 steps away from them.


"Taengooo~" Jessica said as she hook her arm to Taeyeon's right arm and sigh as she snuggle closer to Taeyeon's arm.


Both Yuri and Tiffany saw this. Both narrowed their eyes.


One is jealous. And one is being sarcastic.


"Are you okay?" Ask Taeyeon.


Jessica look up to her. She gave the older girl a tired smile and nod at her. "Yeah. I'm just tired."


"Is that so?" Taeyeon pat Jessica's head gently using her free hand and smile. "You can sleep later in the park when we get there later. Is that okay?"


Jessica just nod and sweetly smiled at her.


Sooyoung and Sunny look at the two, who is just behind them while walking. Both grin.


While Yuri, could only look away hoping it will lessened the pain and jealousy she's feeling.


Something inside her heart that hurt whenever the person she love so much is being happy with her best friend. It hurts. It hurts like hell. Being jealous for someone who's not even yours is probably the most un-explainable feeling.


And she can't do anything. Knowing it's not her who Jessica wants, but her bestfriend. And that adds to the hurt.


-------


Tiffany rolled her eyes at seeing Taeyeon and Jessica. Victoria notice it and look at the direction where Tiffany stared earlier. While Nana chose to ignore them since she's busy reviewing for her coming quiz later.


"Oh! Isn't that Jessica? Oh and is that Taeyeon? Wow. I can't believe this. Where's the Jessica I once knew?" She said in disbelief.


"Did she already forgot what that shorty did to her bestfriend before?" Tiffany scoffed.


"Who's the bestfriend, you?  Correction Tiff, ex-best friend." 


Tiffany didn't answer after that, because well, what Victoria said is true. Jessica and her aren't bestfriend anymore, after all, she's the one who caused their friendship to end.


-------


Weeks later, Taeyeon found herself sitting on her assigned chair on her god father's class. She decided to do some doodle at the back of her notebook while feeling bored.


"Alright class listen," Her uncle successfully got their attention. "I have a project for you."


She heard some students grunt, some sigh and some growl. No one seems to like the idea.


"This project requires a partner that's why I already got you partners. Also, you'll be required to sit next to your partners." He explained.


Jessica stared at Taeyeon, who is sitting in front of her. 'Please let it Taeyeon be my partner! Please Please!' She silently prayed.


While Yuri is sitting beside Jessica. She glanced at her. 'I hope she's my partner. Just this once. 'Cause it's always Taeyeon. I wish this time it's me.' She mentally hope.


Tiffany, who is sitting too far from Taeyeon, just hope her partner will never be Taeyeon.


'Oh God. Please be good to me and don't let my stupid uncle play around with me.' Taeyeon silently prayed after she heard what Taena said.


Then he started to call the names and their partners. Taeyeon could feel the fast beats of her heart through her chest. 


"Jung Jessica, Kwon Yuri." 


Jessica's excited face fell down in disappointment. While Yuri, who may look calm and okay, but inside, she's celebrating.


Taeyeon shook her head knowing her name is the next one. She got more nervous when neither Yuri or Jessica won't be her partner. She look up to see her uncle smiling at her. The kind of smile you know what will happen next is bad.


'I'm dead. I hate you uncle. This is my end.' She said to herself as she buried her head in her arms in her table as she knew what will happen next.


"Kim Taeyeon, Tiffany Hwang."


'O angel of God, please take me with you.'


-------


Tiffany's eyes widen in shock when she heard who her partner is. She can't believe it. She look at Taeyeon who's head buried in her arms in the table. Not moving. She assumed that she's sleeping.


'What the! Oh god. Why?!' She mentally protest.


She can't believe this. She wants to get out of here as soon as possible and never get back to this class.


Taena only grin when he heard groans. "The project will simple, there will be a topic for you two which you will get through a draw. You have to find a song that will relate to the topic you got." He said. "That means you and your partner have to sing the song you have chosen here in front of everyone. Of course, I will give you time for you two to figure and practice the song you have decided to chose."


Tiffany could only groan.


--------


"The god up there must be really like you Tae." Sooyoung snickered. 


They have already told Sunny and Sooyoung what happened earlier, they can't help but to tease the older girl. Except Jessica, who deep inside, very jealous of her ex-best friend.


Taeyeon could only pout while muttering "Why it has to be me." Jessica heard it, she took Taeyeon's hand and intertwined it with hers as she rest her head at Taeyeon's shoulder. "I want to be your partner Taengoo. Maybe you can change your godfather's mind since you two are close." 


This made Yuri quiet and cough. Jealousy is poking her again. It somehow make her feel unwanted, and she feel hurt because of that. She decided to pretend she's not affected like she always used to do.


Taeyeon could only sigh. "I can't Sica. I'm sure he planned this. That fool clever man."


"Plan?"


This got everyone's attention. 


"What do you mean Taeng?" Sunny curiously asks


"He knew about Tiffany. Maybe he did this because he wants to tease me." 


"That's it? Come on. What does your godfather have in his mind?" Sooyoung said.


"I told you, he's a clever man."


"Maybe because he wants you to finally fix everything between you and Tiffany. Think about this into the positive side Tae. Maybe this is your chance to try apologizing again to her." Yuri said.


"Yuri is right. Maybe that's what he wants you to do. If she didn't accept your apology at first, maybe this your second chance to try again." Sunny agreed to Yuri. 


Taeyeon sigh and look down to her drink while Jessica stared at her and squeezed her hand.


-------


Taeyeon lean into her chair as she massage both her temples to somehow ease the head ache that is starting to get worse. She's been working in her assignment for the past hour inside her room. And her assignments are starting to give her stress and frustration.


"God. I know what I chose is hard but, come on! This assignments are almost my projects when I was in highschool!" She said to no one in frustration as she run her hand through her hair in frustration. 


Then suddenly, she heard knocks from her door. "Come in." She said.


Her brother came in with their wireless telephone in his hand. He gave to her and mouthed, "Mother's on the phone." Then walked out of her room.


"Mother?" She called.


"Taeyeonnie?"


"What's up? How are you mother?"


"I have something to tell you!" Taeyeon can hear how excited her mother is.


"Oh. What is it mother?"


"One of your father and I's plan is to bring you and Jinu here in America to live here for good right?"


Taeyeon nod. "Yes. So what happened?"


"The papers is now on the process to be approve! I think it won't take too long to finish it. So our dream will finally come true!" Her mother said in excitement and happiness.


"Oh... That's... That's great."


"I know right? I'm so happy that I can finally bring you and your brother here!"


Taeyeon don't know what to say. The sudden 'good news' of her mother made her feel excited but at the same time, sad. She knows that that means, she need to leave Korea. Where, her friends, her second family and close relatives are living. She knows that she'll miss them badly especially Yuri, Sica, Soo and Sunny. 


And she knows that she needs to adjust to their culture which is very different from theirs. Language is not a problem. Taeyeon can speak English fluently, since she studied it by herself only out of boredom one summer in her sophomore year.


Now, she just don't know how will she break the news to Yuri and the others. Especially to Jessica.


--------


"So what will you do now?" Victoria ask.


"I don't have a choice but to do it with her. That professor looks so scary. I don't think I can even approach him." Tiffany said.


"Okay. If that's what you say so." Victoria said. "Good luck with that."


"Yeah. Bye Vic." Then she hang up. She put her phone to bed stand as she lean on to head board of her bed. She run hair hand through her hair then let a frustrated sigh.


"You're still a big problem to me, Kim Taeyeon after all these years." She said to no one.


Tiffany is the kind of person who is soft spoken and choose to be quiet all the time but will talk when someone talked to her. She never hold grudge to anyone. But whenever she see Taeyeon irritates her very much, because the girl reminds her the things she did to her. She was never a mean to anyone. She was the so ever eye smile girl with a bubbly personality before. But not until that accident happened to their family two years ago. She was no longer that girl. And instead, it change her into someone very opposite of her. 


She's no longer that helpless girl who will obediently follow everything that her father instructed her to do. She's tired of following everything he says and sacrifing her own happiness just for him. She sometimes want to thank Taeyeon. If she didn't bullied her, she won't learn how to start standing up on her own.


"I don't want to be that weak girl before. I won't let myself hurt by you again, Kim Taeyeon."

 

-------

 

A/N: Finals are coming so I've been busy as always. I'm not abandoning this fic. It's just I don't have enough time to write right now. Sorry.