Past Feelings

Chasing Pavements


“YOU?!”


Taeyeon cannot believe her own eyes seeing the person before her.


That familiar face.


That familiar face that she wishes to never see again.


Taeyeon swears that she just felt her heart stopped the moment she realized who was the person she had bumped in.


She's not sure what she really feels right now, but she's really surprised and nervous. And somehow, the glare from the latter is affecting her, making her feel scared a bit.


Taeyeon never thought once in her life that she'll meet her this way. But seeing her again, face to face, forced Taeyeon to feel that familiar feeling again.


The feeling she wants to erase and never feel again.


“Taeyeon! Are you alright? Are you hurt?” Jessica worriedly asks as she gets on her knees to match Taeyeon's height, who still on the floor. While Yuri and Sunny stand behind them with different reactions.


Yuri is surprised to see the girl in this school. She did not expected that she will see her in this university. While with Sunny, she feel worried about Taeyeon and confused when she notice Taeyeon's strange actions towards the girl she bumped in.


Taeyeon snaps out from her own thoughts when Jessica asked her. Suddenly, she feels warm liquid comes out from her nose. She wipes it with her right hand as her eyes widen in surprised again when she saw blood.


Jessica's eyes widen like saucers after seeing blood on Taeyeon's nose. “Oh my God! Your nose is bleeding!” She immediately pulls out her handkerchief and wipes the blood off Taeyeon's nose.


Because of this, Jessica is starting to feel angry to the person Taeyeon bumped with. But when she turned to face the girl, her glare suddenly changed into shock expression.


“Ti...fany?”


Tiffany's annoyed expression turns into a surprised one when she heard a familiar voice. “...Jessica? Is that you, Jessica?” She asks. Clearly surprised and clueless.


“What are you doing here? I thought you'are going to take college in US?”


Tiffany sighs. “Long story.” She paused and looks at Taeyeon with annoyance. “How come you're with her?”


Jessica looks at Taeyeon. “We're best friends now. Things had changed a lot after you left, Tiff.” She said then turns to Tiffany again.


Tiffany could only nod, not knowing any appropriate words she should say. She snickers silently to herself. 'I can't believe this.' Tiffany thought.


“Are you okay?”


What happen next surprised Yuri and Jessica, especially Tiffany.


“Can you move your ankle?” Taeyeon is now standing in front of Tiffany, with blood still visible on her philtrum, and offers her hand. “It seems that your ankle is swelling.”


Tiffany slaps away Taeyeon's hand. “I'm fine. I don't need your help.” She said as she narrowed her eyes and tried to stand up by herself but she hissed in pain when she stood on her injured ankle. It makes her almost fall down if not because of Taeyeon's fast reflexes in catching her.


“Obviously, you need help.” Taeyeon gets on her knees and face her back to Tiffany. She put Tiffany's arms on both of her shoulders, hooks her arms around Tiffany's legs and stands up while carrying Tiffany in a piggy back style.


Tiffany yelled in surprise and disgust. “YAH! PUT ME DOWN! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!” She yelled as she hits Taeyeon's shoulder and head a few times.


Yuri, Sunny and most especially Jessica can't believe what they are seeing. Jealousy is starting to grow inside Jessica. She balled up her fist in anger. This doesn’t go unnoticed by Yuri.


Taeyeon is now starting to get annoyed and hurt. “Go ahead and continue doing that, I'll drop you.” Her threat made Tiffany stops and shut .


Taeyeon looks at Yuri. “Yuri, can you please give me my bag and her bag? I'm gonna bring her to clinic.” She said.


Yuri walks towards them and grab Taeyeon's and Tiffany's bag. She placed the strap of Taeyeon's messenger bag around the shorter girl’s neck while she put Tiffany's bag on Taeyeon's right hand.


“Thanks Yuri.” She said and smiles at Yuri. Then she turn to Jessica, who is now beside Sunny. “Sica, you guys go first. I'll catch up later.” She said.


Jessica looks at her worriedly, in spite of being jealous. Taeyeon smiled at her. “I'll be fine Sica. I'll text you later.”


“But-”


“Let's go Sica, we are already late for our first class.” Yuri said, and holds Jessica on her wrist to make Jessica face her.


Jessica was about to protest when Yuri tugs her gently, signaling her to start walking. She turns again to see Taeyeon starting to walk away towards the opposite direction of the hallway with Tiffany on her back.


------

 

As Yuri, Sunny and Jessica walk, Sunny suddenly spoke, "Hey guys, you go ahead first, Sooyoung messaged me to come and pick her. We forgot her to pick up earlier." 


Yuri raised both her eyebrows in realization that they really did forgot Sooyoung after meeting Tiffany again. "I guess we all forgot her after what happened earlier." 


"That reminds me, who was the girl Taeyeon bumped earlier? You three surely knows her, am I right?" Sunny ask.


Yuri turn to Jessica, who keep quiet then to Sunny. She sigh. "Later this lunch. Sooyoung is probably getting bore of waiting for you." 


Sunny nod in agreement and bid goodbye. When Sunny is finally gone, Yuri turn to Jessica. She smile. "Shall we continue walking, Sica?"


Jessica only nod in response. But Yuri is starting to get bothered by Jessica's quietness. "Sica?"


"Hmm?"


"Can you tell me what's wrong?" Because Yuri can sense something.


"Nothing's wrong Yuri. I'm fine." Jessica plainly answered.


Yuri look at her. "You can't tell me there's nothing wrong when you're showing the opposite."


Jessica didn't reply after that.


Yuri sigh. "Come on Sica, tell me what's wrong." She put her hands up as if she's ready to tickle he older girl and smirk, "If you don't, I'll tickle you!"


Jessica look at her and can't help but to snicker in Yuri's silly way of cheering her up. 


"You won't tell me? Then fine, I'm gonna tickle you Sica!" Yuri pretend to attack the latter while grinning. 


Jessica giggled and wrap her arms around her to protect herself from Yuri's attack. "No Yuri! We're in the public! It's embarrassing!"


Yuri giggled also, satisfied that she lighten up the mood of the older girl. She just touch both sides of Jessica's waist and squeezed it, this move successfully made Jessica laughing out loud. "S-stop Y-Yuri! This i-is em-embarrassing!" She said between her laughs.


But Yuri didn't let go. "What? I'm not tickling you. I'm just holding you on your waist." While feigning an innocent look.


Jessica, who is now only giggling, pat the taller girl's chest. "Please let me go now, Yul." 


"Uh uh, not gonna let you go, until you tell me what's wrong." Yuri look straight in to her eyes.


Soon, her smile slowly fade. Jessica sigh and lean in to Yuri's chest. "So, you're gonna tell me what's wrong now?" Yuri asked.


"....it's Tiffany."


Yuri wrap her arms around Jessica's waist. "So it's Tiffany. I thought it's me." Yuri paused. "You miss her, don't you?"


Jessica gently slap Yuri's arm. "Silly, of course it's not you." She answered. "And I don't miss her, she's the one who left me before. So why would I?"


"You're not being honest again Sica."


Yuri heard Jessica sigh again. "I can never hide anything from, can I? Okay, I admit, I miss her."


"I just know when something's wrong with you." Yuri replied. "And if you miss her, why don't you talk to her? Do you really hate her?"


Jessica gently shook her head, "I won't be the first one to approach and talk to her, she's the one who forgot me first. I shouldn't be the one who should be lowering my pride here, because I'm the who got left behind."


Yuri decided not to ask the latter about it anymore, she don't want to down the older girl anymore. She rubbed her back to comfort Jessica and kissed the crown of her head. "I understand you. Sorry for telling you to talk with her. But I'm sure Tiffany miss you too, after all, she's the one who's too attached to you before, remember?"


"It's okay Yuri, I've moved on, and besides, I already got Taeyeon, Sooyoung and Sunny. Especially you, you're the one who comforts me the most. I don't know what I'll do without you."


"Me too Sica, I don't know what I'll do without you."


'Simply because you're the reason why I still keep holding on.'


------

 


Taeyeon and Tiffany walk in silence. Taeyeon is afraid to start a conversation with the latter because she knows that Tiffany hates her so much. This is the first time Taeyeon carry someone which is taller than her.


She might look like a kid because of her height and baby face, but she's really strong. She would always help her father carry things even if it's heavy. Thus, she's now used to carry heavy things.


Taeyeon can feel her heart beats getting wild every seconds. She also can feel her face is warm and she is nervous at the same time. She never really planned to do this, but being a bit air headed and kind person, she unconsciously did it without thinking for a second.


She's now thinking if she would regret doing this or not. Because she knows that, this is wrong yet it feels so good somehow.


"Does it hurt?" Taeyeon is surprised to hear herself talking to Tiffany again after all those years.


"My ankle is swelling, now tell me, do you think it does not hurt at all?" Tiffany sarcastically said.


Taeyeon shook her gently and sigh. 'At least I tried to ask her.' And she admit all that happened was solely her fault. The guilt from the past never left her. It always haunts her.


They continue to walk in silence, Taeyeon decided to keep shut to avoid Tiffany irritated by her. Few minutes later they are now in front of the clinic. Taeyeon knocked first before she enters.


They saw a woman on her middle 20s sitting in her seat in front of a desk. 'She must be the nurse.' Taeyeon thought.


“Yes? What's wrong?” The woman asked them.


“Uh, well, my frie- uh, this girl here had her ankle swelling.” Taeyeon said. Almost forgetting the fact that Tiffany isn't her friend.


“Okay, let me check her ankle.” The woman said as she stands up from her seat and goes to attend them.


Taeyeon carefully placed Tiffany in one of the beds inside the clinic. She kneel down to take off Tiffany's heels gently from the feet with injured ankle and makes space for the nurse to check Tiffany. Then she untangles the strap of her bag from her neck and wears it properly on her right shoulder. Tiffany only kept quiet the whole time Taeyeon was assisting her. 


After checking the swelling ankle, the woman stood up and got her things before treating Tiffany's ankle. Meanwhile, Taeyeon decided to wait for Tiffany outside the clinic.


She lets out a deep sigh after getting out from the clinic. She decided to hangout on the hallway. 'Well, she really hates me. But it's my fault. Damn. I didn't know it will affect her so much that until now she still hates me. Maybe I really hurt her so bad. Aish, stop it Taeyeon. No matter what you say, she will still hate you.' She thought and sighs again.


------


“Here you go Miss..” The woman said.


“Tiffany. My name's Tiffany.” Tiffany replied and smile.


“Okay Tiffany. And I'm Miss Park. The one’s in charge of this clinic.” Miss Park said while also smiling. Then she stoop up to get something from the storage room inside the clinic.


When she got back, she handed Tiffany a crutch. “Here, it'll help you because you will surely find it hard to walk for a while.” She said.


“Thank you very much, Miss Park.” She said and stood up with the help of the crutch.


Tiffany bowed and smiled again at the nurse. She turns to the bed and look for her bag. "Are you looking for your bag? It’s with your friend." Miss Park said.


"Oh, is that so? Thank you again Miss Park." She said then went outside of the clinic.


She sees Taeyeon leaning over the rail of the balcony. She cleared to get Taeyeon's attention.


Taeyeon immediately turn around upon hearing it and see Tiffany in front of the clinic’s door with a crutch. This made Taeyeon feel even more guilt. But she doesn't want to show it to Tiffany.


"So it's finish. Are you okay now?" She asked.


"Yes. I'm fine now." Tiffany answered plainly.


"Oh. Do you need a help or anything?"


"No I don't." Another plain answer.


Taeyeon would admit that she's starting to get annoyed by Tiffany's answers. But she chose not to show it. She then hand Tiffany her bag. "Here, your bag."


Tiffany accepts it while Taeyeon pull out her phone to text to Jessica that she'll be on her way to her class now. She turns to face Tiffany, who to her surprise, is staring at her.


To break the awkwardness between them, Taeyeon decided to speak. "Umm.. If you don't need anything, I'll go ahead now." She bow a bit and was about to walk away when a tug on her sleeve stop her.


She looks at her sleeve that Tiffany tugged first before looking at Tiffany herself with confusion. "Is there something else you need?" Taeyeon asked.


Tiffany realized that no matter how much she hates Taeyeon, she still need to thank the smaller girl for carrying her all the way to the clinic. She realize that Taeyeon mean nothing but to help her.


Tiffany shakes her head a bit to hide her flushed face. "Umm.. Thank you." She muttered. Almost like a whisper. Embarrassed to do it.


"What?"


"Thank you."


Taeyeon is slightly caught off guard after hearing it. But coolly shrugs it off and smiles at Tiffany. "Oh.. No problem. You're welcome." She said.


Tiffany remains staring at floor while still blushing. Avoiding eye contact with Taeyeon.


When Taeyeon didn't hear a response, she starts walking again. "Gotta go! Bye!" She said as she started to run down the hallway. 'Hope we never meet again! It’s for the best!' She added mentally.


When Tiffany realized that Taeyeon is no longer in front of her, she looks straight to see Taeyeon is starting to run away. She sighs. "She never changed. Still dork as ever." Then she smiles for the first time today at remembering the 'old' Taeyeon she knew.