Family

Chasing Pavements

It was already dark when Taeyeon reached their home.


"I'm home." 


Taeyeon let a sigh before taking off her sneakers and put on the shoe rack and walk towards to her room. Too tired to notice her younger brother who is watching television. 


"Ah, noona. I didn't hear you. Sorry." Her younger brother said.


She only raised her hand in acknowledgement without bothering to look at her younger brother as she continue to go upstairs. 


After she entered her dark room, she carelessly threw her bag on the floor as she lock the door, not bothering to switch on the light and lie on her bed with her both hands covering her eyes.


She let a sigh for the umpteenth time.


First day of college life had already pressured her. After the orientation earlier, she realized that what she chose won't be that easy. She's now starting doubt her own ability to pass this course. She's thinking all the what ifs. What if she didn't pass it? What if she failed it? What if her mother is right? What if Psychology isn't really meant for her? That she should be really taking Business instead? She's starting to feel a bit scared if what will happen in the future. 


She deeply sigh. No, she can do this. She can finish this. She have to prove to her mother that her decision is right. And she shouldn't be doubting herself. She should believe herself that she will get through this. She will become a psychologist, just like what she wants to be. 


Then there's 'her'. She can't believe after years of what she thought peaceful, she would meet her again. She's sure that she have already forgot everything about her. She's sure she's alright now. She knows she's now strong enough to face everything. But everything came back the moment she saw her again. She thought we would never meet her again and she convinced herself that it's for the best. Because she is sure that she is surely hated by that girl. 


And she doesn't know that their little 'reunion' would only add more to the guilt she feels towards the girl. Though she know to herself that it wasn't really her fault in what happened this morning, that it was really Tiffany that wasn't looking in where she's going, she can't help but to feel guilty for her injury.


Flash Back


"Woah Yuri! I can't believe this!!" A young Taeyeon said in disbelief and disappointment. 


Young Yuri let a sigh. "Yeah.. Me too." She's just disappointed as Taeyeon. 


"You should be the one who got in that section, not me! You're the smarter one here!" Taeyeon whine.


"Hey! It's not my fault that you got in section A! You should be glad about it! That means you're also smart!" Yuri reasoned out. "Don't worry, next school year, I'll have my mother talk to the principal so that whichever section you got in, I'll be also there always."


"Who says? You know my brain is nowhere near to your brain!" Taeyeon retorted. "Thanks Yul, but your idea is too late now."


"Hey, I just study a lot more than you that's why." Answered Yuri. "And besides, this is the first time it happened that we are not in the same section. If I knew that this'll happen maybe you're still with me and the others on section B."


It's their first day of being in 8th grade. And now they are in front of the school bulletin, where all the grade sections are posted. 


"I'm just lucky I always pass because I have a genius bestfriend here." Muttered Taeyeon while pouting.


Yuri have to smile when she heard her bestfriend. "Don't flatter me Taeng. You can live without me in that section. There's still break and lunch. We can still meet and teach you if you need help."


"Maybe we can still do something about it Yul!" Taeyeon suggests.


"As much as I love to have you as my classmate again, you know the rules here Taeng. We can't change sections unless we have a reasonable excuse." Said Yuri.


Taeyeon can't believe she will not be in the same section with her best friend and old classmates. And what worse is, she'll be on the section she always hated ever since, the top section!


She really hates being in the top section. Because she knows that the it all consist of smart people. She's just an average student who likes to fail some subjects. That means, if she's going to be in the top section, she needs to study hard to avoid herself being embarrassed in front of those smart people. And she hates it. She hates being pressured. 


Taeyeon could only pout in defeat. 


BRRIIIING!!!


"Gotta go Taeng." Yuri said then sigh and gently pat the latter's head. "I'll meet you later."


She watched her bestfriend walk away towards her new classroom. Then she also starts to walk towards her new classroom with a heavy heart.


As she enters the room, as she expected, it's not that noisy. She started to miss her loud classmates already. She took a seat at the back. Her favorite place of the class room.


Not too long, their home room teacher came in and the class automatically became silent. The teacher begun to introduce herself. Her rules, what she wants and the part Taeyeon hate the most, introducing theirselves.


Taeyeon sigh in relief since she's at the back, meaning she still have more time. She laid her head down to her desk, hoping to get some sleep. But few minutes later, she became bored and got no choice but to watch her classmates introduce theirselves.


"Hello, I'm Jessica Jung Sooyeon, but call me Jessica. That's all." The girl with icy stare yet beautiful face said.


'Ooooh~ Icy girl.' Taeyeon thought while looking at Jessica then yawn. 'I'm so bored!' 


She was about to lay her head down again when a certain girl caught her attention. The first thing she get attracted to the girl was her eyes, then soon, she examine her face.


Suddenly, the girl stood up as its her turn to introduce. She flashed her eye smile to everyone.


But to Taeyeon, it's different. She just felt her heart stop for a moment, then feel her heart beat gets wild. Felt nervous and at the same time, sends butterflies in her stomach. 


'Whoa.. She's cute.' She said to herself as she admire the girl in front.


She watch and listen intently to the girl.


"Hello everyone, my name's Stephanie Hwang Miyoung, but please call me Tiffany. It's nice to meet you all. Thank you." She said then smile again at the class and take a seat.


'Hmm.. She has two names? But she likes to be called Tiffany.' Taeyeon said to herself mentally.


Taeyeon didn't notice the time and it's now her turn to introduce. Good thing her seat mate elbowed her gently to let her know it's her turn.


"H-hello! I'm-I'm Kim Taeyeon. It's nice to meet you all." She said. Though feeling nervous, she manage to finish it coolly. To add her good impression to everyone, she gave them her signature dorky smile and sit down to her chair again.


Many 'Aww-ed', some squeal and she heard some said 'cute'. 


'Yeah. Praise me more.' She inwardly joke.


She turn to Tiffany's direction to see her reaction. And to her surprise, the latter is staring at her. And when their eyes met, she flashed her eye smile at Taeyeon.


Suddenly she felt shy. With a simple smile she felt something inside her that made her feel giddy inside. She can't explain what she feels right now.


'Woah.. Her eyes are smiling... Wow, she's... Something...' She dreamily said to herself.


End of Flashback


"Noona! Father's here!" Her younger brother's shout from the living room brought her back to reality.


She lazily got up from her bed and went downstairs to meet her father. When she reached her father, she kissed him on his cheek. 


"Hi father. Have you ate already?" She ask.


"Yes. Don't worry I bought a take out food before on my way. So let's eat." Her father said.


They ate in silence. Until her father asks Taeyeon about her first day in college.  


"Tiring and stressful. But I think I can manage it." She answers.


He nod. "Hmmm.. So you should start studying hard now. You're not in high school anymore. Being carefree and lazy in college will only lead you to failure." He said. "All your mother want for you and Jinu is to finish your studies."


Taeyeon nod in understanding. "Yes father." 


Since Taeyeon's mother works in abroad, the Kim family are used without the presence of the wife and mother in their house. They can only talk in Skype or phone calls. But her mother would go home if she have time or whenever she's in vacation. 


Taeyeon knows that everyone can say that she have a perfect family. Because her parents love each other and them with all their heart. They supports her and her younger brother's decisions. Her parents have good jobs. They are always happy. She never see her parents fight. Thus, everything's perfect for them.


Almost.


-----


Tiffany enter their house- er.. Mansion. As she walk towards her room upstairs, she notice her mother sitting in the couch while reading some reports. Her mother just came from a business meeting in Jeju.


"Mom, when did you arrived?" She said as she kissed her mother on her cheek.


"Yes, this afternoon." Her mother answered. Then her mother look at her and notice her crutch and her injured ankle.


She look at Tiffany with a worried expression. While Tiffany avoid eye contact with her mother. "What happened to you?! When did this happened?!" Her mother worriedly ask her as she put down the reports she was reading on the coffee table.


'Great Tiffany. Quick! Explain everything before your Mom do something stupid!' She said to herself mentally.


"Uhh.. I can explain Mom."


"Explain." Her mother said sternly.


"I bumped into someone. And I kinda injured my ankle." She paused and glance at her mother. Her mother was about to speak.  So she decided to continue before her mother continue to rant. "Don't worry. That person brought me to the nearest clinic. It was my fault anyways because I wasn't looking while walking." She said which is true.


She wasn't really looking and just mindlessly walking at that time. She's just unlucky that in many people she'll bumped in to, she bumped in to that girl


Her mother's expression turn soft from being very worried. She think her mother maybe understand her now. She understand her mother's situation why she worry too much for her children. After 'that' accident two years ago, her mother changed a lot.


She can't help but to blame everything to her father. It was all because of her controlling father. And no matter how understanding she is, everything has a limit. She can't help but to hate her father sometimes.


"Tiffany, you know how I always worry for you and Sulli, right? What happened two years ago was too much for me." 


Tiffany can see sadness and loneliness in her mother's eyes. She immediately hug her mother. "I know mom. I'm sorry for worrying you." She said softly to her mother.


-------


"Tiffany, your sister told me you had a fight again with your father. What will you do? Do you still want to continue your college here?" Her mother ask while they are eating.


Their father is out of town to meet his business clients. Tiffany and Sulli are so glad because of this.


Tiffany sits across Sulli, who stare at her. "Yes it's true. I will continue my studies here in korea. I want to decide on my own. I hope you understand me Mom." she said.


Her mother hold her hand. Making Tiffany look at her. "I support whatever you and Sulli want in your life. I trust you two, especially you Tiffany. As long as you're not hurting anybody. I believe that you only want to learn how to be independent."


Tiffany give her mother her most genuine smile. "Thank you Mom for believing and trusting me. Thank you Mom." She said sincerely.


Her Mom is the only one who undertands her. And never force them to anything. She's the kind of Mom who also a best friend that she can tell all her secret, the reason why her mother trust them. That's why, she loves her mother very much. 


------


Ayo GG~!


"Hello?"


"Hi Tiffany! How're you doing?"


Tiffany rolled her eyes in annoyance when she heard the voice from the other line. She's leaning at the head board of her bed while reading a book before she go to sleep. But she was disturbed by an annoying someone.


"Oh Siwon! Is something wrong?" She said in fake a little bit of enthusiastic tone.


"No, I'm definitely fine Tiff."


"Why did you call then?" She ask carefully not to show her annoyance in her voice. 


"Uh.. Tiffany, will you go out to-"


"What? I'm sorry Siwon, I can't hear you. What are you saying? Hello? Hello Siwon?" And there, she hung up. One of her alibis that would always work.


Tiffany sigh in annoyance. She turn off the lamp beside her and lay down to her bed.


What happened today are enough to tire her already. She turn to the other side of her king size bed to get some sleep. Eventually she fell asleep fast.


-------


A/N: Just to clear out some things to avoid confusion.

1.Taeyeon, Yuri, Jessica and Tiffany studied in the same school where high school is included. It's a private school.
2.Tiffany transferred into another school and didn't continue her high school in the said school in number 1.
3.Sunny and Sooyoung became their classmates when they transferred to Taeyeon's school when they were freshman.
4.Tiffany's kinda rich. They have a business that her parents trying to enlarge.
5.Everyone live far from each other. Means, if Taeyeon wants to go to Yuri's house, she needs to take a bus or cab. As well to Jessica's place.