Allergic or Scared?

Chasing Pavements



The next day, Taeyeon woke up early as usual and went to school without a problem unlike yesterday, she waited for Jessica for about half an hour before they went to school. 


She takes a seat at the same bench she and Jessica sat in yesterday and pulled out her phone to text everyone. 


To Yuri, Sica, Soo and Sunny:

Here at school already. Get your butts here already!!

From: Taeng


She then wait for them to reply. While waiting, she lean her back to the bench to relax herself somehow. She's feeling nervous because there's a chance that she'll meet Tiffany unexpectedly again. 


Then suddenly, she remember something. 'Oh god. I didn't made to my first subject yesterday because of what happened. Darn. I hope they didn't do many things so I can catch up easily. Good thing it's English subject.' She thought.


Suddenly, her phone vibrated in her hand. Snapping her from her thoughts. 'Sica.' She read the name that flashes in the screen of her phone.


To: Taeng

So early!! >,< I just woke up!

From: Sica


"Aish. This girl."


Minutes later, Yuri arrived first. Soon, Sooyoung, Sunny and Jessica arrived later. Taeyeon remembered the first subject she had missed yesterday due to the 'incident' that happened. But then she found out that she's in the same class every Monday and Tuesday with Yuri and Jessica on Mondays.


-------


"Later guys!" Yuri said to Sooyoung, Sunny and Jessica, who envy her as she and Taeyeon entered the class room.


Luckily, there are two available seats at the back. The twosome chose to sit there since they are free to choose wherever they want to sit.


Not too long, a professor came in. Of course, Taeyeon introduced herself to him and told him a 'reasonable' excuse for not being able to attend his class yesterday. Fortunately for Taeyeon, he believed her lies.


The professor proceed to his lesson after that. Taeyeon feel glad that she can still catch up the previous lesson yesterday that she missed.


'Thank God I'm not that bad at English.' She said to herself as she listen to the professor explain what's on the white board.


"If we add present perfect tense here-"


"I apologize for being late sir." 


Everyone turn their attention to the new comer. The professor also turn around to see the new comer but felt annoyed for being interrupted in the middle of explaining his discussion.


"Do you know what time is it Miss?" The professor ask. "What's your name by the way?"


"I'm Hwang Tiffany Sir." She said. "I'm sorry for being late sir. I have my ankle injured that's why I took long to get here."


The professor then, notice the crutch. He finally understand the latter. He sigh and nod. "Fine. Take a seat wherever you want." Then he remembered something. "By the way, were you absent yesterday in my class?" 


"Yes sir, I am." Tiffany answered. "I actually got my injury while I'm  my way towards here."


Meanwhile, both Taeyeon's and Yuri's eyes widen in surprise when they both saw who the new comer was.


'She's in the same class with me- I mean us?? Damn, the world's too small! Great, how will long will I keep with this?! Great, this is getting freaking great.' Taeyeon mentally said to herself in annoyance.


They watch Tiffany, who is unaware of them, take a seat in the front row much to their relief. They can see how very uncomfortable it is for Tiffany to have an injured ankle and crutch. It only added more guilt to Taeyeon. She force herself to focus in the lesson to ignore the guilt that she is feeling right now.


Yuri noticed Taeyeon's furrowed eyebrow. She can sense that something's wrong with Taeyeon. She gently tapped Taeyeon's shoulder. "Is something Taeyeon?" She said.


The latter turn to her. "I think I can manage this Yul. Don't worry about me." She answered.


Yuri knew what's really running inside Taeyeon's mind. After all they are best friends and practically sisters because of they closeness to each other. She decided to not ask anymore, since Taeyeon's mind probably in a little mess right now.


------


The teacher cleared his throat before starting to speak. "Okay, I'm going to give you an assignment!" He said cheerfully. Opposite to the reaction of everyone.


The professor went back to his table and grab the assignment papers. He decided to call out someone to distribute the papers. His eyes roam all over the classroom.


He then noticed the spacing out Taeyeon, who is blankly staring outside the window.


"Miss Kim. Please distribute this papers to everyone."


This got Taeyeon's attention. She looks at her teacher in surprise then to Yuri, who give her encouragement look. She let a sigh and went towards the professor to get the papers. She tried her best to ignore the nervous feeling of Tiffany seeing her again after yesterday's incident.


Fortunately for her, Tiffany is currently looking for something inside her bag. She has no idea that the Kim that her professor called is the Kim she hates the most.


Taeyeon started to hand out all the papers. She saw the erted look that half of the boys giving to her. She look at them in disgust. 


As she gets near to Tiffany, she's trying her best to calm herself and the wild beat of her heart while putting up her poker face.


Tiffany still haven't notice her since she's still busy with her bag. But unfortunately to Taeyeon, as soon she got in front of Tiffany, right after putting the paper in latter's desk, Tiffany look up to thank her.


Only to Tiffany's surprise, it's Kim Taeyeon. Her smile immediately fade and narrowed her eyes. 'What the? She's here too?! Come on!' She thought.


Taeyeon, expecting something like this will happen, did nothing and instead, she calmly move to the next seat and hand out another paper. Leaving a frowning Tiffany behind.


------


"It's really a small world, isn't Taeyeon? After thinking we would never meet her again, she came back as your classmate once again." 


Yuri and Taeyeon are currently sitting in one of the bleachers as they eat ice cream. They are waiting for Jessica since both their subject finished early. Sooyoung and Sunny left early because they told them that they have to go somewhere else.


Taeyeon turn to her. "Honestly Yuri," she paused. "I don't think this school year will be peaceful like what I thought."


"When you brought her to the clinic yesterday, was there a chance that you two had talk to each other?" 


Taeyeon sigh. "Yeah, I asked her if her ankle hurt, but she just gave a sarcastic reply." 


"She did? What did you said then?" Yuri asks. Taeyeon's answer didn't surprise her anymore.


"Nothing. I decided to kept my mouth shut before I irritate her." She answered. Then turn to Yuri. "I feel guilty for everything Yuri. And now that she hurt her ankle, I feel guilty even more."


Yuri turn to her best friend and pat her shoulder. "Taeng, it's not your fault that she was hurt. We are there also, remember? She's the one who bumped too hard to you. So don't be too guilty about it."


"I guess you're right Yul."


"You're a good person Tae. You don't have to feel guilty about her all time. You know, we are now in college, at the legal age, we can party all night long if we want, we know now how to drive cars, we don't need our parents to take care of ourselves, we can practically do whatever we want with our age now." Yuri said. "My point here is, we were young back then. We were childish. But days have been passed and we are now grown up, matured enough to forgive, and forget what happened in the past. It was just all a childish act. We are now old to let go of that. Move on is also what I'm saying here."


"I know Yul. But how about her? Okay let's say I've move on already and everything, but why do she still hates me? Maybe because she haven't forgot what I did to her and that really hurt her before. And we can't erase the fact that maybe she changed school was because of me." 


"Maybe you're right," Yuri said. "I guess she just can't forget what you did to her."


"You know, the first time I saw her again yesterday, I got scared and worried." Taeyeon confessed.


"Scared and worried? Why?" Yuri furrowed her eyebrows.


"I got worried because she might do revenge on me for all I've done to her. And I got scared because I-I saw her again."


"I understand you why you got worried, Tae." Yuri paused. "But was that all why you got scared? Or was there something more?" 


Taeyeon look away from the suspicious look that her bestfriend's giving her. "O-of course Yuri! Why would there be anything else?"


Yuri sigh. "Tae, you know that I'm the only one who knows your secret right? Tell me, you were scared to see her again? Or, you were scared because your unexpected meeting woke up something inside your heart? Something that never really go away and instead, it's only sleeping inside your heart?"


"W-what were you saying Yul? I don't understand what you were saying." Taeyeon answered while kept avoiding Yuri's intent look.


"Taeng, I'm just the only person who knew your big secret since we were in grade 7." Yuri said. "Don't lie to me now."


Taeyeon look up in the sky and took a deep. "Fine, I admit I got scared because those feelings I tried so hard to erase will go back again. I don't want those feelings go back. I'm fine with what I am now."


"If you don't want those feelings go back again, then why don't you try falling in love again? Maybe then you'll avoid yourself to feel those again."


"You know I can't. No matter how much I try. I just can't Yuri." Taeyeon sigh and chuckled her sadness a bit. "Look at the effects of them to me. I don't want to be like this anymore, Yuri. But I'm scared to try."


Yuri could only sigh. She know she have to stop if she still wants a cheerful bestfriend. Falling in love is something her bestfriend have been avoiding for years. Not because she's bitter, but she's scared. 


She don't want to be exaggerating but that's what Taeyeon have, a phobia in falling in love, just like how Kim Taeyeon allergic to peanuts.